Skip to content

Never Seen Star Wars

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Where would I even start watching Dr. Who?

Netflix has it I believe. But if you mean season wise I would say to start with the 2005 and onwards episodes (rather than the "classic" episodes from the 1980's and earlier).
    wubblemeaglothkcwise
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I've never seen The Sopranos, Downton Abbey, and Mad Men.
    kcwiseBaldursCat
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited February 2015

Man, I was gonna come with my usual line for those who have not yet seen Star Wars: "You MUST WATCH IT IN THIS ORDER AND NO OTHER: 4,5,1,2,3,6" but you actually saw Star Wars....

My list is long (as are most) but one big one is Citizen Kane as well.

I have not seen any Dr. Who (though I really have no interest) yet people keep telling me I am a crazy person for this.

Never read the Song of Ice and Fire books because I *gasp* don't want to spoil the show. Go ahead, judge me.

I'm a HUGE fan of westerns but I never saw The Wild Bunch, which is something I will have to correct. Also a huge noir fan but have yet to see Double Indemnity and The Third Man.

I have a ton in gaming. Never played any Final Fantasy games. Never played any Dragon Age Games. Never played any Mass Effect. Never played any Call of Duty or Medal of Honor or Halo or whatever shooting games. Never played Grand Theft Auto. Never played any Warcraft things. Never played any Skyrim or whatever games. I'm sure there are a lot more but I have to go now, but will check in on this interesting thread.

meagloth said:

umm... breaking bad & game of thrones, off the top of my head. Also most popular console games (Halo, whatever)

Well, @meagloth , this is a sign of good parenting. You are not old enough to watch those yet!
    Maybe with game of thrones. I mean to read those books anyway. I've always wanted to be that guys who's read the books and can hold spoilers over everyone's heads.

I saw and episode of the walking dead; the one where they blow up the CDC. It didn't interest me. I found it generic(oh, we must walk to the one medical clinic so we can cure zombie, but walking there is going to take all season because 5 subplots) and the characters seemed boring. Sorry, walking dead fans.

I also don't watch any anime. A friend tried to get me into attack on Titan, but I think it's just silly(anime/manga, that is) And I don't like the way it looks. I find the whole culture around anime very annoying
    CrevsDaakkcwise
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

Where would I even start watching Dr. Who?

I've watched Dr Who almost from the beginning. I can appreciate both the classic series AND the new stuff. But to best decide where you should start, I'd need to know a bit more about you. Minus that,

Of the new stuff, I think David Tennant is an excellent place to start. His very first episode, he saves the world "In a very Arthur Dent sort of way". It just gets better from there.

The Classic stuff is phenomenal in my view, but it is a bit much to get started with. My personal favorite is Jon Pertwee, but most people would say start with Tom Baker. At least with Tom you will get a bit of the old Gallifrey and you will face off against most of the classic villains such as the Daleks and the Cybermen and The Master. You also will see Sarah Jane in her hay day and have a small smattering of The Brig.

Depending on your age and interest, I would also recommend the first three seasons of Torchwood as a more 'Adult' look into the world of Dr Who. Season four is OK, but not as good as 1-3 by any stretch. Plus there are tie ins with Dr who. Start with the First Episode of Chris Eccelston's Doctor who (just for the intro to the series), then go to "The Empty Child" and the introduction of Captain Jack. After that two parter, you can pretty much jump to Torchwood.

kcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    kcwise
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    kcwise said:

danced with the devil in the pale moonlight
    danced on the head of a pin as well

I have done both those things. Met Satan at a few parties and actually so long as you don't bring up the fall, he's an okay kind of guy. Does occasionally turn people into pancakes and fry them, but like I said, just stay off those sensitive topics.

Another thing I've remembere... I like sci-fi, and I love dinosaurs, so you can imagine I really dug Jurassic Park. But, agaun, never read the book.
    kcwise

The pacing of Old Who and New Who are very different. New Who has shorter stories. I watched the first New Who series, but nothing passed that. I just enjoy the slower pacing of the original run.

I agree that if you only watched season 1 of New Who, that the stories were shorter in comparison to the Classic series. Classic had 4-5 episode arks that made up a story, and then there are things like 'The Key to Time' and 'Trial of a Timelord'. However, if you watch some of Matt Smith's episodes, they have arks that span entire seasons and that is more like classic Who. And then there's 'Children of Earth' which is a whole different ball game.

The pacing is also different but I'd hesitate to say which is better. I am so glad that I have more of the show I grew up on that I accept everything, even when they mess up classic monsters in silly (and sometimes inspired) ways. I am a fan for life and believe that Capaldi will take us into the future in a definitely "Pertweeesque"/classic series style.
    [Deleted User]wubblekcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    kcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    wubble said:

You're pretty safe starting at the start of any doctor, so long as you don't come in mid storyline everythings fine, storylines aren't generally carried between doctors and if they are they're recapped in a friendly way.

Agreed, however if you're going for the modern "Who" I'd recommend starting with Christopher Eccleston's.

Let's see, I've never played any JRPG - they've just never appealled, I'm not a fan of manga / anime either - or Tombraider, or completed Dragon Age or Mass Effect*, the truth is I just find those first person perspective games really difficult to get to grips with. I much prefer top-down isometric games you can regulate the pace of & there really aren't many of those around any more.

*I own both for PS2 / XBox 360 but the resolution of even the inventory screen on Dragon Age was so poorly rendered on my older HDTV it was unplayable to me.

wubblekcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    wubble said:

kcwise said:

seen a single episode of Friends

How could you not?
    Because I've always been friendsless, if you must know!
    Coutelier said:

kcwise said:

danced with the devil in the pale moonlight
    danced on the head of a pin as well

I have done both those things. Met Satan at a few parties and actually so long as you don't bring up the fall, he's an okay kind of guy. Does occasionally turn people into pancakes and fry them, but like I said, just stay off those sensitive topics.
    Next thing you'll be telling me the devil owns IHOP.
    wubble
    edited February 2015
    kcwise said:

Next thing you'll be telling me the devil owns IHOP.

The devil owns every chain. Apart from Denny's. He's got standards.

kcwisemeaglothdeltago
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited February 2015
    I can't really talk about computer games because they didn't exist when I was growing up, but Doctor Who I remember well, watching the very first series (in black and white) from behind the sofa in the living room.

As for films, the 'must see' ones were the adult rated ones that you had to sneak/con your way in to see, and of those the stand out ones for us were 'Carrie' which I didn't find interesting (and consequently the whole genre passed me by) and 'Rollerball' (the uncut original, not the castrated re-make) which I loved and probably explains why I like to see blood on the walls when I play BG.
    Of course there was also the iconic 'Emanuelle', but that's another story.
    JuliusBorisov
    @typo_tilly - no one is forcing, nor trying to convince you to watch New Who. I am just saying that although I liked season 1 and appreciated Chris for bringing the show back, it gets MUCH better later on. Nuff said.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    meagloth said:

Maybe with game of thrones. I mean to read those books anyway. I've always wanted to be that guys who's read the books and can hold spoilers over their heads.

Don't be that guy. Ever. Or I'll find a picture of you and make it the new Scum bag Steve Meme.
    wubble
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    After spending many years with reading as my primary pass-time, I definately find visual mediums to be more limited... you can read a very disturbing passage, and recreate it in your mind, but somehow actually watching even a less than perfect recreation, it ends up being significantly more disturbing. You just can't deal with certain topics as effectively visually, even if they worked well in writing. Must be frustrating for directors!

Anyways, I haven't watched very much TV since I was fairly young, though I did watch the occasional movie or TV show, or sporting event. I listen to the radio more, mostly talk radio. In other words, I miss an absurd amount of media and pop culture.
    kcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    deltago said:

meagloth said:

Maybe with game of thrones. I mean to read those books anyway. I've always wanted to be that guys who's read the books and can hold spoilers over their heads.

Don't be that guy. Ever. Or I'll find a picture of you and make it the new Scum bag Steve Meme.
    Better make one for me too then. :mrgreen:

I don't actually spoil anything but I do enjoy giving false hints to throw people off and frustrate them.
    kcwiseCrevsDaak
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Coutelier said:

For books... well I've never read Harry Potter. Being older when they came out and not having kids of my own, I've never felt that I was the target audience for them.

You'd be making an incorrect assumption. The books are very well written and appeal to all ages, not just kids. While the movies were pretty good, the books are way better. You should really give them a try sometime.

wubbleCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    wubble said:

deltago said:

meagloth said:

Better make one for me too then. :mrgreen:

I don't actually spoil anything but I do enjoy giving false hints to throw people off and frustrate them.
    But they're changing so much of it that there's not point "spoiling" it, I'm just that annoying person who thinks the books are waaaaay better. :-P

wubbleCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov

I'm just that annoying person who thinks the books are waaaaay better.

As they usually are. It's pretty difficult to cram a full length novel into a 2 hour or so movie, and still do it justice. Some manage it, most don't.

CrevsDaakNimranmeaglothJuliusBorisov
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Belanos said:

I'm just that annoying person who thinks the books are waaaaay better.

As they usually are. It's pretty difficult to cram a full length novel into a 2 hour or so movie, and still do it justice. Some manage it, most don't.

I prefer the way it way done with the ice and fire novels, series is a far better medium to display a complex book, a movie only really works when most of the book is action/drama, for a book full of intrigue and deep character development a movie is nowhere near long enough.
    CrevsDaakNonnahswritermeaglothJuliusBorisov
    Maybe this will surprise some of our american audience with me being from the UK, but I have never ever seen an episode of The Benny Hill Show.

It did go on for years and years, but it's never been repeated on British TV since it was cancelled in 1989, so it just passed me by. If it wasn't for references, mostly on US TV, I might still have no idea who he was or his whole chasing ladies through the park routine and the music, which I gather is the one joke he had in his entire career.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Mildly off-topic, but me and my family did just coincidentally watch Star Wars Episode IV (the first of the original trilogy) last night. I thought of this thread and laughed a little.

And no, it was not my first time seeing the movie. Though it had been a while.
    CrevsDaak

Mildly off-topic, but me and my family did just coincidentally watch Star Wars Episode IV (the first of the original trilogy) last night. I thought of this thread and laughed a little.

And no, it was not my first time seeing the movie. Though it had been a while.

I recently watched all three of original trilogy. The nice thing about sci-fi flicks like that is that they never become out-dated. We still have a long ways to go before the technology in them appears old fashioned. The same thing with the original Star Trek episodes.

CrevsDaak
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Coutelier said:

Maybe this will surprise some of our american audience with me being from the UK, but I have never ever seen an episode of The Benny Hill Show.

I've never even heard of this.
    CrevsDaakelminster
    edited February 2015
    meagloth said:

Coutelier said:

It's referenced quite often on TV, so if you watch a fair amount of it the chances you'll have come across the theme music somewhere:

EDIT: Actually this video is better. It's pretty much the show from what I can tell since I've never watched it.
    Coutelier said:

Actually this video is better. It's pretty much the show from what I can tell since I've never watched it.

That's not Benny Hill, it's just some high school students' take on the show. While the show itself was rather dumb, it was much better than that. They got the music right though.
    meagloth said:

You're not missing much, it was very low brow slapstick for the most part. I watched one or two episodes years ago and gave up on it. It's main claim to fame was that it always had some topless women in some sort of skit. Usually with Benny Hill chasing after them.

edited February 2015
    Like I said, I've never watched the actual Benny Hill Show and don't intend to. But it seems to be in an odd position now of being more well known in countries like the US and Australia than in the UK where it came from. Americans inparticular seem to reach for it when trying to talk and create a common bond with some British person they've met (even though as I mentioned, Benny Hill hasn't actually been on British TV since he was cancelled about 25 years ago, although he was definitely huge back in the 1970's). That and Monty Python of course, or Top Gear, or Are You Being Served? The last one I... well, I've definitely been in the same room as it being on someone's television, but I guess I've never really 'watched' it as such either.
    Post edited by Coutelier on
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    "The Matrix", "Star Wars", "Star Trek". these are the ones that are considered classics and I haven't seen them (among many other). All the people I know have seen "The Matrix" and they literally laugh at me when I say I haven't.

Dear, "Someone", please tell me that you haven't seen it too. Thanks.
    JuliusBorisov
    It is kind of a double edged sword though. I for one grew up on books and always loved when the story wasn't "interpreted" for me and I had to use the authors words and my own imagination. I love that and always will think that is superior. Add the fact that you can actually do things in books that simply don't translate into any other medium.

On the other hand, it is widely believed that Martin is "Correcting" stuff in the TV series that he got wrong in the books. Before people attack me for that comment, quite a lot of the story lines in the books start out great but really start meandering by about the third book. The TV series is a much cleaner (if abbreviated) and more coherent story line. And since Martin himself is the main driving force behind the TV show, these are clearly things that he either initiated or at the very least agree with.

I'd strongly recommend reading the books. I will NEVER say not to do that. And "Most" translations into TV or Movies are that... a Translation or an interpretation. Meaning that it is some third party adding their own vision. I think they do a fantastic job with the Game of Thrones series and won't speak ill of it.
    CrevsDaak