Skip to content

Your top (3/5/10/15/20) favorite games!

SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
edited February 2015 in Off-Topic
I haven't seen one of these being done in a while, so i figured that i would make one myself. I've always enjoyed to read about what games people like and it has helped me find some amazing games i haven't played myself, both mainstream i never bothered to get or hidden gems that i didn't know about.

It's up to you how many games you put on your list, but i would like you to write a few lines about the game and why you placed it on your list. For this list BG/IWD is the same as BG:EE/IWD:EE, I'm just naming the original name.

Here is mine, i'll throw out a 20 games list. This is the short version.

1.) Planescape Torment
2.) Fallout 2
3.) Baldur's Gate 2
4.) Fallout
5.) Arcanum
6.) Morrowind
7.) Dark soul
8.) Silent Hill 2
9.) Baldur's Gate
10.) Fallout New Vegas
11.) Final Fantasy 9
12.) Vampire Bloodlines: Masquerade
13.) Icewind Dale
14.) The Last of Us
15.) Deus Ex
16.) FInal Fantasy 10
17.) Resident Evil Code Veronica X
18.) Septerra Core
19.) Geneforge
20.) Might & Magic.

And now for the longer version.

1.) Planescape Torment: The undisputed king when it comes to gaming for me. The only flaws this amazing games has is the poor combat and that it pigeon holes you into playing a certain type of character to fully enjoy the game (WIS,INT,CHA). The story and NPC's are one of a kind and you won't find any other games that can spin a tale like this one can. It also let's you play evil without feeling that it wasn't a part of the game.

2.) Fallout 2: The options are endless! There is so much you can do in this world and so many different paths you can take. Want to complete the game in less than 30 minutes? You can do that! From a gameplay view the S.P.E.C.I.A.L system is awesome and the turn based combat is both entertaining and challenging. The reason i placed Fallout 2 here instead of Fallout is that it has more content. While it does have certain flaws, i feel that the game is an overall improvement over Fallout.

3.) Baldur's Gate 2: Here we go! While there are games out there that are better at certain parts than Baldur's Gate 2 (Torment = History, Arcanum = World, Fallout = Options). The thing that makes Baldur's Gate 2 stand out is that while it doesn't excel at one thing, it does everything exceptionally well. It's a wonderful blend of good gameplay, immersive story, well written NPC's and much more. With the exception of the difficulty for new players and the requirement of a manual, this game doesn't have any flaws in my opinion.

4.) Fallout: This is where it all started, and this is the reason we have games like Fallout 2 and Arcanum. Here we have a game that showed us how wonderful and exciting an apocalyptic wasteland can be. The atmosphere in this game is incredible and it belongs in any top 10 list.

5.) Arcanum: This pick might be a little bit controversial. Arcanum is a flawed gem, no doubt about it. This game has the worst combat system out of any game i have played, it is lacking a story and it came with so many bugs that it took a miracle to get it to play properly. Even with some very big and glaring flaws, this game succeeded in delivering an open and interesting world where you could play a revolver wielding bandit, dwarven smith, elven beauty pagan or a mage using an elephant gun. The crafting system in this game is also amazing and it makes it seem natural for you to scavenge every single trash bin in the game for spare parts.

6.) Morrowind: Here we have another game that has quite a few glaring flaws, but the things that it succeeds with still haven't been beaten in any other game to date. This game does not hold your hand, it has no arrow to guide you to where you go, you walk out the door of the census office and you're on your own PS: love your journal, cherish it and even touch it when you're alone in the dark, it's your most important tool. You literally get dropped into this world with the clothes on your back, a few gold coins and some table spoons you stole from inside the building without anyone noticing. If we look at some of the bad sides we'll see the horrible combat system, it's dice rolling without seeing the dice. If you don't have a good combat skill you'll swing 10 times with your sword and be happy if you connect once. The level up system is an abomination and it forces you to play the game a certain way so you won't ruin your character (good thing is that you can download a mod for this). And the dialogue you have with people aren't dialogues, they are wikipedia windows with information. But while this game does have some rather huge flaws, it also delivers the good stuff. You won't find a bigger or more well done world in any game than you have in Morrowind, it even puts Oblivion and Skyrim to shame. You also won't find any game with as deep lore as this game has, if you do read the dialogues and pick up a book or two, you'll get surprised how much lore and information there is in this game. Last but not least the roleplay options in this game are ridiculous. This game doesn't hold your hand or point for you where to go, this gives you a free reign of your character, what s/he will do and where s/he will go. You don't even have to finish the main quest, there is so much content in this world that you can pick where to go, play it for 30 hours and still have only explored 10% at the most. Also plus points for one of the best magic systems in any game.

7.) Dark souls: You play this game because of the atmosphere and the gameplay. There is no RPG out there that does combat better than Dark souls, you won't even find a game that does it equally as well. This game should be played for the gameplay and enjoying the atmosphere, it gets 10/10 in both categories. If you actually take time to read the item descriptions you'll find out that it does have a nice story filled with some obscure lore you really have to search for to find. This game is difficult as well, at least when you start out. There is a reason there is an edition of this game called Prepare to Die and you should listen to that, because as a newcomer you will die, a lot.

8.) Silent Hill 2: The king of horror games. Calling a game the king when it's in the same league as other incredible games (Resident Evil, Fatal Frame, Amnesia, Last of Us, etc) is an achievement in itself and shows how amazing this game is. The atmosphere, characters and story in this game are phenomenal and every single piece of paper you read leaves you with a sense of dread while your imagination runs wild. This game stands as a beacon that you don't need graphics to make a scary game, you don't create a horror game, you write one.

9.) Baldur's Gate: And here we have our dear Baldur's Gate. As with Fallout i feel that the Baldur's Gate 2 takes the good parts from Baldur's Gate and improves on them. This doesn't make Baldur's Gate a bad game though, it's an amazing adventure and there are certain things this games does better than its sequel, like exploration and having you start on level 1. It might be nostalgia but i hold this game closer to my heart than its sequal and do spend more time playing it.

10.) Fallout New Vegas: What is this? The third installment of Fallout on the list? While this is a Fallout game it's completely different than its predecessors with the exception of the world you play in and the S.P.E.C.I.A.L system. It changes the game from an isometric view to first person and introduces first person shooting into the mix. This game has an unique game world with a ton of items, easter eggs, quests and even small settlements hidden and ready to be found by an explorer (You!). It Introduces you to two main factions and several small ones in the game and it let's you decide what route to take. Want to help one faction? What about two factions? What about changing your mind in the game and backstab your old one? You could also play the other factions against each other and take the throne for yourself. The choices are many and the dialogues are well written, there aren't many white or black areas in Nevada, just a lot of grey.

11.) Final Fantasy 9: For an JRPG this game does everything right. It has stable combat, great characters, an immersive world and an amazing story to follow. It takes a more old school approach to the genre and goes from realistic (Final Fantasy 7 & 8) to surreal. You'll find a ton of different races in the game that make you raise your eyebrow in confusion, but in this world it doesn't seem odd at all, the unrealistic approach seems perfect for this setting. This is an amazing, solid and well written JRPG with few flaws (trance system).

12.) Vampire Bloodlines: Here is another flawed gem that seems to be unknown to many people. Let me put this game into perspective by using one word: Atmosphere. It does have many flaws like a bad combat system, original game being unplayable because of bugs, very combat heavy ending and a few other things sprinkled on top. But what it does great, it sure as hell delivers on. The atmosphere in this game is 11/10 and you'll have a hard time finding a game that does it better. It also has many ways to handle and complete every quest, the dialogues are well written and persuasion is an awesome skill that should not be missed out on. Would also like to mention the unique vampire 'races' you can pick which sometimes let's you play a completely different game (Malkavian, Nosferatu)

13.) Icewind Dale: This game often gets described as being Baldur's Gate with less story and dialogues, with more focus on combat. While this is somewhat true, there is so much more to Icewind Dale than just that. Yes this game was created to be a dungeon crawler that let's you make your own party, but this doesn't mean that it's a bad game compared to Baldur's Gate, it just means it's different. It does actually improve on Baldur's Gate when it comes to combat, music and atmosphere.

14.) The Last of Us: Between the new Silent Hills and Resident evil, this game showed us that you can make a new mainstream horror game that is actually - good. This game is an enjoyment to play from start to finish with some great characters, awesome voice acting, incredible intense combat and a world that you get to experience through an entire year with different seasons. If you haven't played this game, GO DO SO! I would buy an PS3 just to get this one game.

15.) Deus Ex: Here we have an obscure game that barely anyone knew about before one of its sequels (which is actually a prequel) hit the market in 2011 (Deus Ex: Human Revolution). But while it has had a few sequels and spin-offs ranging from different qualities, the first game is where it all started. It's hard to explain what Deus Ex really is, some people are still discussing if it's mainly a shooter or RPG. But if you're looking for a good game that is unique and flavorful, you should definitely get this game. I have a soft spot in my heart for Deux Ex as it's one of the games i randomly found when i was bored, i got into the game with low expectations and my mind was blown by the interesting story line, surprisingly deep dialogues and many amazing RPG elements. Who doesn't like to use his technical skills to rob an ATM?

16.) Final Fantasy X: Right up there with FF7 this is the most known and played Final Fantasy game. It was the first one to be released on the PS2 and it had revolutionary graphics back then. There are many Final Fantasy games out there and so you have to question why i placed this one here. There is one thing that this game does better than every single other Final Fantasy title, and that is the game play. The game play and combat in this game is incredible and for the first time ever in a JRPG i wasn't bored by random encounters. The monsters are all unique with different flavorful racial abilities and passives. You have a ton of options between how you chose to play out the fight and how you want to level your characters. This game is a solid game with very few flaws that has incredible game play. While the remastered version comes with better graphics, it really isn't needed as the original has aged very well, and no the remastered sadly doesn't come with a skip cut-scene button.

17.) Resident Evil Code Veronica X: Now if you're into the Resident Evil series you might question yourself why i picked this title to put on the list. It's actually pretty simple, while other games in the series did things better, this is the one i enjoyed the most. It had improved combat over its predecessors, it had a great story, interesting characters and it was a large game. If i could i would want to put every resident evil game up to 4 on this list, but i can't. This is the one game in the series that i found the least flaws/frustration in, and enjoyed the most.

18.) Septerra Core: What is that? A hidden gem that is a JRPG and produced in the west, played on the computer!? What kind of sorcery is this!? Yes it's actually a really good JRPG that was developed by Valkyrie Studios. When it comes to JRPG they have a lot of competition, there are so many good JRPG's released in Asia that you'll have a hard time choosing which one to play. I bought this game from a bin in a local store once and was going to take it with me on a trip to visit some family, play it on my lap top over the weekend. Let me tell you right now that my family didn't see much of me that weekend. It's a really immersive and fun game with some great characters (both playable and non-playable) along with some rock solid voice acting. The combat isn't the best and might take some time getting used to and it gets very heavy on combat the last 5% of the game. But up until that part you have a unique world with several large cities to explore and some really neat adventure game aspects that have you scratching your head for clues. It's one of those games that don't leave areas behind, you'll be flying across the world between the different cities doing small or large quests all the time. Aaand the villains look AWESOME with some SWEET voice acting! It's also one of those games that have villains join you, but i won't spoil any more!

19.) Geneforge: Now you might ask yourself, what the hell is Geneforge? Then you'll probably wikipedia it and say "Damn, this game is old" and then you'll see a screenshot from the game and once you look at the UI you'll most probably want to vomit. But if you can get past this then you got a really solid game with some unique and out of the box story, world and game play. It's a rough gem but if you can get into it you'll find it very entertaining and surprisingly well written. And if you did enjoy it, look up spiderwebs and you'll find 15+ games just like it, that's an entire gaming world that just opened its door for you.

20.) Might & Magic 6: Oooh the fun I've had with this game. For its time this was an incredible game that delivered on so many fronts. I'm sure we've all died to that sneakily placed dragon in the starter area, the one that you had to escape, the same dragon you probably died 20 times trying to kill, and if you're into challenges and pretty hardcore you might actually have killed it. It would take me an article to explain this game and its game series, so I'll just say that if you're going to start with M&M then pick this game to start your adventure with. I would also like to mention that while 8&9 might not have been that good, the last one released (10) is very good in my opinion.

So this is my long and flawed list, took me around an hour to write in one sitting! I do know that certain titles got a tiny descriptions while others got a larger one, but it's just to give an idea about the games from my point of view and hopefully get someone interested in one of these games.

Feel free to add some of your own games, could be your top 3/5 games, or even your top 10/20. But it would be nice if you wrote something about the game and why you enjoyed it. It also doesn't have to be RPG games, we're here to talk about games that we love and perhaps get people to try them out.

[Edited] : Grammar and a short version.
Post edited by SionIV on
RavenslightlolienO_BruceCrevsDaakIsandirBelgarathMTHMessiJLeewoowoovoodooTuthJuliusBorisovelement

Comments

• IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    Moradin said:

8) Lords of the Realms 2. If you've never heard of this game, I wouldn't be surprised. It was released by Sierra sometime in 1996, and it's basically a turn-based top-view medieval strategy game. The gameplay is very simple and immediate to understand, but where it shines it's the conquer-the-castle system. You drive your army to an enemy castle, and then you find yourself in a new map, in a real time attempt to guide your troops storm the castle. A little gem.

I didn't really touch on non-RPGs in my post, but this was a great game. I also loved the similar (but older) Castles II: Siege and Conquest, and the later fantasy-based Lords of Magic. Other favorites among the non-RPGs are many of the Sierra and LucasArts adventures games, the Half-Life series, the newer Telltale series and quite a few others. I also just tried Borderlands for the first time a few months ago and loved it.

MoradinSionIVNimranJuliusBorisov
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    There are some really good titles here and I'm going to take a look at a few that really interest me. Keep the lists coming guys :smiley:
    JLeeJuliusBorisovIsandir
  • alastair93alastair93 Member Posts: 117
    Here's my list, although I've tried to base it upon what I enjoyed at the time while playing these games. If I had to re-play them at my current age it might look a bit different...

1. Baldur's Gate 2
    2. Mass Effect Trilogy
    3. The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time
    4: The Last of Us
    5. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
    6: Mario 64
    7. Goldeneye 007
    8: Final Fantasy 9
    9: Populous: The Beginning
    10: Star Wars: Jedi Knight, Dark Forces 2
    11: Command & Conquer
    12: Diablo 2
    13: Half-Life Episodes 1+2
    14: Duke Nukem 3D
    15: Pokemon Blue
    16: Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey
    17: Civilization 4
    18: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    19: Neverwinter Nights
    20: Virtual Hydlide
    SionIVJuliusBorisov
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Depends on what you consider favorite.

The two games I've played the most over the years are the Civilization Series and EAs NHL series followed closely by Baldur's Gate. In replayability, those would be my top three.

Other games that have sucked a whole lot of time from me and created a lasting impression, however, I rarely play them now would include:
    Super Mario Bros 1-3
    Command and Conquer (series up to but not including Generals)
    Tetris (could possibly be placed in the top 3)
    Neverwinter Nights (and mostly its online play)
    Sim City 2000

And I went through an Online gaming period where I would completely destroy people playing:
    Online Pool
    Online Euchre
    Acrophobia

Modern Games that I have enjoyed but I believe haven't been around enough to crack a top list would include:
    Dragon Age: Origins
    L.A. Noire
    Red Dead Redemption
    Assassin's Creed 2 (or entire series)
    XCOM: Enemy Within
    Mass Effect Series
    Arkham City
    Mortal Kombat
    Injustice: Gods Among Us
    The Walking Dead Season 1 & 2 (Telltale)

So ATM, top 20 would probably look like:

1. Civilization
    2. EA NHL
    3. Baldur's Gate
    4. Tetris
    5. Mortal Kombat
    6. Command & Conquer
    7. Neverwinter Nights
    8. Sim City 2000
    9. Super Mario Bros
    10. Dragon Age: Origins
    11. Mass Effect series
    12. The Walking Dead
    13. Injustice: Gods Among Us
    14. L.A. Noire
    15. Red Dead Redemption
    16. XCOM: Enemy Within
    17. Assassin's Creed 2
    18. Arkham City
    19. Acrophobia
    20. Yahoo Euchre.

This list probably changes on a daily basis so, atm this is it.
    MessiSionIVJLeeJuliusBorisov
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    The only thing I can do when it comes to games, it's to say that Planescape: Torment's the best, closely followed by Baldur's Gate Trilogy (because they're equally good except for ToB).
    O_Bruce said:

8. Diablo II: The Lord of Destruction. What kind of parent would let their 8-9 years old kid play this game? I wasn't allowed to, yet I played anyway. Oh, that demon-slaying childhood... The forbidden fruit really tastes great. Probably my first character was Necromancer and he ended his journey in the Nightmare Difficulty.

Well, I played Diablo II when I was 7 *shrugs* I mean, my father didn't even know what the game was about (until he played it a little, uninstalled it and gave back the CD to my cousin).
    SionIV
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    I don't really wanna put them in any order as just listing them is difficult enough

Baldur's Gate games
    EA NHL games
    Civilization 1-5
    Planescape: Torment
    Icewind Dale games
    Fallout 1+2+NV
    Journey
    Disgaea games
    NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer
    Morrowind
    Alpha Centauri
    Mass Effect trilogy
    System Shock 1+2
    Master of Orion 2
    Demon's Souls+Dark Souls
    (hopefully soon added to this list Bloodborne and Pillars of Eternity!)

Well I couldn't think more of the top of my head so I guess this should be my current top 10+

wubbleSionIVJLeeJuliusBorisov
  • ShadowHunterShadowHunter Member Posts: 143
    well I'm terrible at picking favourites, because I don't know on what I should base them ( gameplay, characters, in what mood I am) but if I should pick a few I'd say:
    1.BG saga ( otherwise I wouldn't be on this forum would I ? :p )
    2. Mortal Kombat 9 / Injustice: When I'm angry or frustrated I just like to kick some behinds you know
    3. NWN2: I have the feeling not a lot of people like this game like I do , but for some reason I just can't stop playing it. I think the graphics are okay but I'm just in love with the interaction between the characters. The way Neeshka and Khelgar argue in the beginning of the game. And Neeshka is just so sassy and badass but sweet and kind of innocent at the same time. I think if she would not have been in this game I wouldn't like it so much.
    SionIVCrevsDaakJLeeJuliusBorisov
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    I'll just see how long a list I can make.

1. Baldur's Gate series
    2. Skyrim
    3. Crusader Kings 2
    4. The Witcher 2
    5. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
    6. Super Smash Bros.
    7. Final Fantasy IV.
    8. Final Fantasy VI.
    9. Chrono Trigger.
    10. Kotor.
    11. The Sims.
    12. Halo
    13. Dragon Age
    14. Mass Effect 2
    15. Earthbound
    16. Maniac Mansion

Stopping there cause nothing else comes immediately to mind.
    SionIVCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    In no order, not even my own: Also not complete, but it'll do. Should I use a new colon? **** it.

Civ 1: The windows version really was awesome. High difficulties were mindboglingly cheatastic jerks, requiring either 10lbs of gouda stuffed with cheddar or extraordinary luck. The odds calculator hated my battleships, though the mental image of a Man With Stick somehow scoring a Home Run vs my Veteran Battleship, resulting in presumeably a 14-16 navy shell sinking my warship. Don't talk to me about Fortified Veteran Riflemen with City Walls on a Hill.

Warcraft 1 and 2: Warcraft 1 was a special, special game, and came out just before mice became 100% standard and essentially mandatory for every PC to have. This meant to select multiple units, you had to hold ctrl. And capped at an astonishing 4 units! Multiplayer games almost never ended, we just keep sending 4 Daemons or Elementals at each other to watch our catapults anihilate them in a couple shots. Warcraft 2 was awesome for multiplayer though, played it a ton. Cheese tactics were so fun back then! Loved naval battles though, epecially multi-island base scenario.

Master of Orion 2: A really well done game all around. Graphics vary from still reasonable to 'my eyes hurt'. Updates really make the game better though, initiative and less terrible AI for several combat-based races finally let them compete. I just wish Impossible didn't always mean 'you are everyone's preferred target'. You could actually get by reasonably well with even an Uncreative race, if you could ironicly get creative with ship designs. The ship design btw was utterly amazing, and it seemed to be the only thing MOO3 got right. Seemed, cuz I did not enjoy that game nearly as much. I should give it one more shot, maybe someone modded it.

Caesar 2: The battles looked cool, but were pretty darn simple, but the economics were really thorough. You could viably run an industrial colony or a cultural hub with crazy land taxes. The built in corruption, ie setting your own pay is humorously accurate for Roman politicians, as was the requirement to not run a deficit longterm.

Sim Anything: Loved SimAnt, Farm, and City 2000 the best, but all were deeply interesting. Never have I seen the likes of SimAnt since!

Street Fighter 2: SNES was the only machine optimal for this game, having 6 standard buttons, one for each attack. Of course, Guile was abdurdly overpowered, but I sucked st special moves, so I was best with Chun Li. Combos ftw, cuz her Specials were really awful.

Stronghold: The original and Crusader. The high resolution option for it is nice, but gets laggy when you have 400 Horse Archers running about. J/K, I think I maxed at 250ish, and 100 used right could take most enemies down, though with substantial losses vs some. Preferred Crusader, as Assassins and Horse Archers were totally boss.

X-Wing: The whole series pretty much. Alliance gave us some nifty things to try, but having your Corellian Transport not disable it's guns while you are picking up a container was utterly moronic. Especially if umpteen Tie Interceptors are trying to kill you or your cargo... either of which costsnthe mission obviously. Also, how X-wing's Admiral Ackbar sends you on suicide mission afyer suicide mission, with no complainijg possible. You could beat Tie Fighter without dying imho, but X-wing was bloody impossible nearly. It WAS impossible if you had no joystick though.

Eternal Darkness: Yakov may have joked about Soviet Games playing you, but this game REALLY DID mess with you. Seriously. Cthulus all up in your 'Cube! Great game though.

Any Decent First Person Shooter: Played Nightfire too much, and Halo 2 as well. Sucked st Halo 2 with anything but pistols and stickey grenades, but enjoyed the Alien campaign levels the most. Invisibility rocked.

Custom Robo: Straight up cool.

Pokemon Red Blue Yellow: Great games, but all thr early pokemon end up sucking pretty much. Golem could be decent, but required trading, same with Alakazam. I liked Hypno better anyways though, or even Mr. Mime (...Marcel?!)

Super Mario: Especially Super Mario World, as save games were flipping genius, and allowed the devs to make stupidly hard levels in the Star Road Special area. Beautiful game too actually, looks crisper than most games +15 years newer. Super Mario Paint was awesome too. The SNES mouse was far and away the most rugged mouse I used until laser mice. Used to go through mice and trackballs like crazy.

Mario RPG Games: Thousand Year Door was a masterwork, and still looks great.

Various Jrpgs: Played a bunch back in the day. Final Fantasy III in NA was amazing... thats 6 I think? Loved that game though. Breath of Fire 2 had a cool story, if questionable translation.

Oh, I liked those Infinity Engine games too. ;)
    SionIVJuliusBorisovCrevsDaakIsandir
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    edited February 2015
    Anduin said:

My age is going to show here... (list)

Oh my god, I remember all of those!!! :D Except for that Usagi one (never been a fan of anime). Another World was amazing, and GTA3 was so new and groundbreaking at the time. As for the X-Wing series, I logged so many hours in an A-Wing, it was ridiculous. In fact, I'm going to really show my age and mention a few more classics:

GTA - the very first one, which was a top-down sprite based game! I even remember those cut scenes... "I got a warnin' fer you from bald man Sonetti!"

Midwinter - a very interesting but very difficult game to play, you basically had to ski around and recruit more people to your team to defend an island from an evil fascist dictator called General Masters, and blow up snow cars, armed with heat seeking missiles, with...a sniper rifle?? Apparently this is getting a remake too.

Gunship 2000 - Microprose were the grandaddy of flight simulators! Gunship put you in charge of a helicopter and had you blowing stuff up. So many hours in an Apache, I could almost be a US Army helicopter pilot! ;)

Doom - the classic game that made the FPS genre famous. You've probably heard of it. ;)

Jetstrike - an interesting, and somewhat light-hearted, side-scrolling shooter type game which had you flying lots of planes against an evil faction consisting of terrorists and traffic wardens, according to the manual.

If you're into classic games, check out this guy's channel on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYrTgnLsQebvJJv6K3gseVw
    TeflonlolienAnduinCrevsDaak
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited February 2015
    Some really good games in this thread, I'm going through them all right now to see what I'm going to be playing next. Thank you all for taking your time to write about the games as well, makes it much more interesting and exciting than just a name :smiley:

And feel free to add more games people, for every game added, there might be a chance that someone finds a new favorite game they didn't know about!
    CrevsDaak
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    *sigh...* I really hate putting my favorite games in some kinda order. I love them all! So, in no particular hierarchy, my top fifteen games are:

Golden Sun
    Golden Sun 2: The Lost Age
    Tales of Symphonia
    Tales of the Abyss
    Baldur's Gate
    Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
    Icewind Dale
    Age of Wonders
    Civilization 3
    Pokemon Crystal
    Pokemon Sapphire
    Fire Emblem: Awakening
    Final Fantasy 9
    Legend of Dragoon
    Threads of Fate

And for a little more detail and fun stories...

-Golden Sun and Golden Sun 2: I love these games. LOVE THEM. Not only are they easily the most beautiful games on the Gameboy Advanced, but I adored the storyline, the characters, and the PUZZLES! You play as a bunch of adepts, basically elemental magicians, and not only do you get to use your powers in combat, but you also have a poopton of magic spells to help you navigate dungeons and solve problems. I've beaten both of them at least five times, spent countless hours and days perched on my couch, below the lamp on the end table, because it was the best lighting I had for my measly no-back-light Gameboy. FOR A HANDHELD GAME.

-Tales of Symphonia: my first "Tales of" game, and one very near and dear to my heart. This is the game that helped bring me and my beloved together. ^_^ In short, he had never played the first Symphonia game, but was rearing up to try the inferior sequel on the Wii. Being the good hardcore fan that I was, I made him borrow my copy of Symphonia to play before he tried the new one. He loved it just as much as I did! And with this common bond between us, that opened us up to spending more time together and sharing other things, and... Wo-lah! Been dating six years ever since. ^_^

-Tales of the Abyss: my second of the "Tales of" games, and personally, one of the best well-written ones. I have never hated a main character as much as I hated Luke in the first twenty-or-so hours of gameplay. But man oh man, everyone else was so fantastic that I trudged my way through. Finally, when you get to the "twist"--you'll know it when it happens--our hero makes a complete 180, and I actually found myself rooting for him all the way to the end. This guy that I despised and labeled as a whiny, self-absorbed idiot. The combat was a thousand times better than in Symphonia too.

-Baldur's Gate 1 and 2: does this need to be said? These games are awesome! I played the second before the first, because that was the one my mother owned. I used to watch her play when I was little, until eventually I felt old enough to tackle the game myself. But I've only ever beaten the second Baldur's Gate once, without Throne of Bhaal, because I spent more time in character creation than in the actual game! The customization, the races, the classes, the dozens of downloaded custom portraits...! The possibilities felt endless! I had so many character ideas, I wanted to play them all!

-Icewind Dale: pretty much all that I said about Baldur's Gate, but six times worse because of the fully-customizable party. So many hours in character creation...! SO MANY. I still have yet to beat this one, but that will change by the end of this year. *shakes her fist full of resolve*

-Age of Wonders: this is another one of those games that I used to watch my mother play endlessly, until I installed it for myself and took a crack at it. I've played almost every scenario, every campaign episode, every race that you can that I have certain maps memorized. I still boot it up and play it every now and then because it's just so ageless. Like the Baldur's Gate games, despite being made back in the late nineties, Age of Wonders still looks as beautiful today as it did then (and it runs smoother too, since it's not bogged down by heavy graphics).

-Civilization 3: pretty much all of what I said on Age of Wonders. Except what's great about Civ 3 is that every game is always different--not just in terms of what country you can play, but the ability to generate random maps of various climates and sizes really added to my addiction. This is another game I've very rarely beaten--let alone won--just because I enjoy the early phase so much more than the late phase. Discovering the land, building the cities, meeting the other countries... I usually get bored and stop after the Middle Ages, when I've created boats and explored every inch of black fog on the earth.

-Pokemon Crystal: my first Pokemon game was actually Pokemon Gold (sorry Red and Blue fans), but the one that took all of my attention was Crystal. Why? Because it was the first Pokemon game where I GOT TO PLAY A FEMALE TRAINER! How is that not awesome!? In Gold I'd always named my character after myself, and pretended that I was a girl character stuck inside a boy's body because The Laws of the Universe Demanded It. But with Crystal, I didn't have to do that! And what's more, my female avatar had blue freaking hair! You can only imagine how upset I was at Soulsilver/Heartgold when they announced their redesign for the female character. They took away her blue hair! Whyyyyyyy??? ;_;

-Pokemon Sapphire: the second title on the Gameboy Advanced that ate my life. It's my favorite region in all of Pokemon, second only to Johto. Not only did I thoroughly enjoy the storyline of this game--Team Aqua and Team Magma were the best villains that came after Team Rocket--but Gamefreak added so much more to do after you defeated the Elite Four. They introduced contests, secret bases, along with a slew of legendary pokemon that could only be found by the most ridiculous of puzzles (lookin' at you, Regis). I mean, it wasn't as awesome as journeying to Kanto and sweeping through their gym leaders after Johto, but it was still a lot to do and a lot of fun that kept me playing well after the main campaign was done.

-Fire Emblem: Awakening: okay, I'll be honest and say that I haven't played a lot of Fire Emblem titles. Path of Radiance on the Gamecube was my first. But Awakening... Oh my god, Awakening! It's amazing! You get a customizable character, an epic storyline, an awesome army of characters with unique personalities, and a marriage system that lets you pass down skills and stats to recruitable children! It's like Pokemon...but in Fire Emblem! And a first for several Fire Emblem titles--you can GRIND! I have intentionally stalled out the plot episodes just to grind and make my characters stronger, something that you really couldn't do in previous games, and thanks to that, you can max every character to their greatest potential. As opposed to dealing with any dead-weight characters you just couldn't train because they entered the story too late/or they were too high level too early/they were too low level too late/they had a bad class and X character is SO MUCH BETTER at it/etc.

-Final Fantasy 9: despite it being my favorite of the Final Fantasies... I've yet to beat 9 to this day. ;_; I had really bad luck as a kid with every copy I owned. I first bought a Greatest Hits edition, but I couldn't make it past the first disc because right at the time of the Village of Dali, the game would freeze. I thought it was a glitch with the Greatest Hits versions, so I found a used black-label copy. Low and behold, the game still froze, at around the exact same spot. ;_; It wasn't until years later when my boyfriend brought his copy that I finally made it past disc one. The good news is I enjoyed the early game so much--most specifically the built-in card game, Tetra Master--that I have it almost memorized. I restarted many times, hoping it would work...

-Legend of Dragoon: another title my mother started playing before I did! My mom was quite the gamer back in the day... But ah, anyway, Legend of Dragoon takes a slot because of it's epically long storyline, memorable characters (and memorable character DEATHS that STILL make me cry to this day ;_; ), and having some of the best-looking magic spells in any game ever. I mean, look at some of these sequences:

I know I've said this before, but HOW IS THAT NOT AWESOME!?

-Threads of Fate: probably my favorite game on the original Playstation. It was the cover art that caught my eye in one of those old video-rental shops. I took it home one day and loved it so much that I continued to rent it from that store, again and again and again, until I finally got a copy of my own for my birthday. An adventure title that not many people have heard of, where you get to play as two protagonists--each with their own story--and follow their quest for a mysterious [relic]. Yes, that's with the brackets. To this day, I still don't know what they're there for. ^_^ This game is SO BEAUTIFUL for a Playstation title. It doesn't have any fancy cutscenes, but it's just so bright and colorful and has way better proportions than most Final Fantasy games.

And I'm certain that there are more games that I've come to love (or in the case of Super Smash Brothers, love/hate), but this list is already far too long. I'd better stop there. ^_^;; Fun topic!
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Additional Games, Also Not in Order, And Not Necessarily Worse Than The Preceding:

Gladius: Pretty interesting gameplay, and the story had much untapped potential. This game could have evolved into an amazing online game actually, the immense customization and different strategies (and how good at clicking a player was... I couldn't do combos for Lights, for example). The varying arenas also would give enourmous playability. Some pretty heavy rebalancing would be necessary though, and a reworking of how recruitment ultimately worked. Still, excellent game with many difficult to find secrets!

F-Zero: played the SNES, 64, and GC versions and really enjoyed them. Note, the Storymode is bloody insane. I have my doubts anyone bothered to verify that an average player could ever beat it. Loved how incredibly sensitive your performance was, IE each track had an optimal way to race it for each car, and on high difficulty, one mistake could move you from 1st to 10th instantly. Verh unforgiving games, but pretty for their time, and enjoyable for the most part.

Quest For Glory: a really silly but still well written experiment in adventure RPGs, I loved all of them. Very creative, and could be pretty challenging. The diffierent 'regions' felt very alive, IE Germanic, Mesopotamia, Africa, Eastern Europe and finally Meditranean.

Tetris: Especially for the Gameboy. Amazing game, great soundtrack. No, really, best bloops, bleeps and blips ever done.
    SionIVCrevsDaak
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Definite KUDOS to @Anduin for mentioning X-Wing series. I hadn't thought of that game in years, but it was FANTASTIC. It was quite simple in it's execution, merely a space sim, but it was STAR WARS. And you could play as the Rebels OR the Empire. So much love for that game.
    AnduinSionIVCrevsDaak
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    A few game I forgot to mention, but have also taken up considerable amounts of my time:

Skies of Arcadia/Skies of Arcadia Legends, on the Dreamcast and Gamecube respectively.

The Sims 1 + 2. Never got into 3 or 4 though.

Spore. Creating a creature and having it evolve is fun, although in the end it becomes a galactic empire type of game, but luckily I quite enjoy those as well.

Phantasy Star Online... again, I'm not into online or MMO. I just played this one because I remembered the old Phantasy Star games.

And Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3, and lately on the PC as well.
    SionIVCrevsDaak
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited February 2015
    mmmmmmmmmmm

in no order

1) VTM:bloodlines - so good nothing more fun then schmoozing your way through unlife with a Toreador

2) FF9 - so good and the greatest original soundtrack of any game imo and contains my fav moment of any game ever. Also the last FF game I liked (also Freya :smile: )

3) FF6 - yep pure quality not much else to say

4) Valkyria chronicles - beautiful game an unappreciated great

5) BG1 and 2 - duh

6) ocarina of time - a little obvious, but truly amazin

7) ice climber - one of the most entertaining games ive played and fgreat in 2 player

8) demon's souls - this game was an obsession for some time I adore the atmosphere and the story telling, deeply depressing when you delve into the lore abit. I wish we could return to Bolateria

9) mass effect 1 and 2 - the last great bioware games perhaps?

10) resident evil 2 - this is the epitome of the genre imo

11) street fighter 2 - I like fighters and this is still the best imo

12) Metroid - cant think of much to say never beat it, was one my fav games for my hand me down snes and holds a place in my heart

13) mirrors edge - a niche game but its like therapy for me

14) mgs3 - I like stealth I like mgs and this ones pure class, great gameplay and good story

that's it of the top of my head probably forgetting a ton