Skip to content

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited October 2022 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on
RavenslightJuliusBorisovlolienIsandirbooinyoureyes

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I rarely read books due to childhood issues with a ludicrously bad reading program that my middle school had. When I do 'read' books it is usually field guides of some sort.
    Ravenslightlolien
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Ravenslightlolien
    Those are the best kind!
    [Deleted User]lolien
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    CrevsDaak
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Speaking of good animal books. I just read a very good one about Ravens. Mind of the Raven by Bernd Heinrich. He lived with and raised them. Very interesting and insightful.
    [Deleted User]lolienIsandir
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    I really enjoy biographies of all kinds.
    lolienRavenslightIsandirDJKajuru
    Coutelier said:

I think when something is forced on you, you naturally tend to like it less, not so much that the books themselves are really that bad.

This. And the fact that I am a very slow reader. If anyone really wants to hear me rant about that horrible reading program I mentioned earlier, then let me know.
    wubblelolienRavenslight
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    @typo_tilly’s reference to reading a book on injury and disease made me think of some of the other books that I have enjoyed reading in the past. Ferrets, Rabbits, and Rodents, Clinical Medicine and Surgery by Hillyer Quesenberry and Diseases of Domestic Guinea Pigs by V.C.G. Richardson, to name a couple. I think I might have enjoyed being a veterinarian if my life had gone differently.
    lolienkcwiseJuliusBorisovIsandir
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    I have quite a few favorites from many different genres. (I used to work in a bookstore, which caused me to finally break out of my fantasy addiction and branch out into other genres.)

His Excellency: George Washington
    I never thought I liked reading US history until I tried reading this. Joseph Ellis is a superb writer who delves into the human aspects of his subjects and makes the period feel far more vivid than any textbook. Though I've read some of his other books since, this one remains my favorite.

Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
    As a huge fan of World War II history, I consider this one of the best. Though it has very particular flaws, it's fascinating to read such a comprehensive account of the evolution of the Nazi regime, particularly at a time when it was fresh in many people's minds. If you have any interest in history at all, this is an excellent book to read over the course of weeks or months; just digest it in small bits.

Born to Run
    More than any other book, this one makes me want to get off my sorry butt and start running. (I do the Spartacus Workout instead, but at least it got me motivated!) I highly recommend reading this if you want to change your physical lifestyle and became healthier.

Shake Hands with the Devil
    Much has been written of the Rwandan genocide, but few books have been as riveting as this one for a simple reason: it was written by Lieutenant-General Dallaire, the man who was in charge of the peacekeeping forces at the time. In addition to providing an utterly unique perspective into one of the darkest moments of recent history, it also has some of the most haunting prose you'll ever read.

The Upside of Irrationality
    Fans of Malcolm Gladwell (like me) will really enjoy Dan Ariely's style. Though he actually wrote a book prior to this one - Predictably Irrational - I read this one first and loved it. Beyond providing interesting insights into our behavior, he weaves in very compelling personal anecdotes. I highly recommend picking up a copy even if you normally don't read psychology/sociology books.

Blink
    Speaking of Gladwell... Though I have liked all of his books, this one stuck with me the most, and I really do think it has helped me recondition my thought processes in certain ways. Even if you want to read something purely for enjoyment, this is a good choice.

A Brief History of Time
    Though I've read plenty of other books on physics that provide much more depth, this was one of the first I had ever picked up, and it's still fascinating, particularly when you consider how ahead of the curve Hawking was at his prime.

Satan and the Problem of Evil
    This one definitely isn't for everyone, but if you have any interest in philosophy or theology, you'll love it. Boyd's overall theodicy has shaped my personal views more than any other thinker.

Brand Leadership
    I'd recommend this book based on a single quote: "To be dominant, the perception of dominance must emerge—and that requires visibility." Aacker's reasoning throughout the book is superb, but this particular point has framed much of my approach in my career.

All Marketers Are Liars Tell Stories
    Not only does Godin hit the exact right points about modern marketing (and our behavior as consumers), but he also does an amazing thing, as indicated by the title. He actually admitted that the original name of the book was a poor choice of words and changed it for subsequent releases. I have to admire anyone who so publicly corrects a mistake.

The Stranger Beside Me
    I have a strong interest in psychology, and in sociopathic behaviors in particular. Though this area has exploded with fictional books, television shows and movies over the past two decades, few can top Ann Rule's account of her friendship with the notorious serial killer Ted Bundy. What makes it so fascinating is not simply his actions, but also the process she goes through in discovering and dealing with the truth.

I know I'm missing quite a few, but at this point I really need to stop writing and go to sleep!
    RavenslightlolienkcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I enjoy art books , and biographies.
    Ravenslightkcwise
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Coutelier said:

That's fun! ^_^ I read a book on injury, disease, and doctors' experiences during WWI and II. There's a bigger one I want to read! :u

Looking at world maps is so much fun. :D
    Africa is bigger land-wise than North America. ^_^ (Including Arctic waters, I'm not sure. *-))

The world map most of us are used to seeing, while it maintains the right shape of the continents, distorts the actual sizes somewhat. Greenland looks like it's half the size of Africa, when in fact it's no where close. It's a problem with projecting something 3-Dimensional, the globe, onto a 2-Dimensional surface. The bits to the north and the south tend to be enlarged.

Also, I'll read anything about dinosaurs.
    Sorry to be a nerd, but it's not a problem with projecting 3D to 2D in general. It's a property of the projection we use. Why? Because we want to emphasize our part of the world. In general you may only say in dimensionality reduction something is always lost. There are different projections with different properties, not all of which emphasize the north.

As for the topic, unless school books count I don't read non-fiction books. I have read All marketers are liars through schoolwork though per @Isandir.
    kcwiseCrevsDaak
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I wanna share a book. It's one I read for a course, but it's really good and a version is available for free.

Nelson, Biological Physics
    http://maths.dur.ac.uk/users/kasper.peeters/pdf/nelson_free.pdf
    kcwiseCrevsDaak