Skip to content

Best Melee Solo

13»

Comments

• Manveru123Manveru123 Member Posts: 52
    Blade with Mislead>Enhanced Bard Song stacking makes other melee look like jokes.
    semiticgoddess
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited March 2015
    I apologize for my behaviour in this thread. I will not edit out what I wrote though as that would be even more unprofessional childish of me.

Thanks for replying in such a civilized manner @Baron_Bathory, even though me and @RAM021 did our best to poison this thread.
    Post edited by Skatan on
    semiticgoddessArdulGotural
  • Baron_BathoryBaron_Bathory Member Posts: 46
    @Manveru123 Sounds fun! I don't think I've done a full playthrough with a bard before.

@Skatan Absolutely no harm done my friend. It was an interesting convo!
    Skatan
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Manveru123: I once created a party based on stacking bard songs. Two Blades for the Improved Bard Song, two Sorcerers, a Mage/Thief, and a Cleric/Mage, all using Improved Haste and Melf's Minute Meteors for 10 APR with +6 weapons for over 50 damage per hit. It was so satisfying chunking Tactics-style Fire Giants.

I quit the game soon after that, actually. I had created an indestructible party and that was the plan. The rest of the game would have been relatively boring compared to the earlier period, when I was building up the party.

Song stacking does indeed make melee classes look like jokes. But what's REALLY overpowered is using the Wand of Lightning trick to create 6 Mislead clones with one Mislead spell. A mid-level Skald can give the whole party +24 to hit, damage, and AC with a single spell.
    ElrandirManveru123
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    Skatan said:

I apologize for my behaviour in this thread. I will not edit out what I wrote though as that would be even more unprofessional childish of me.

Thanks for replying in such a civilized manner @Baron_Bathory, even though I did my to poison this thread.

Your assumption made you wrong and then you threw a hissy fit when corrected. You bloody well should appologize.
    @RAM021: @Skatan has made an apology, which is not easy to do, and he or she did it unprompted. I believe we should accept that and move on.
    BlackravenElrandirGoturalBaron_Bathory
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    @RAM021 : is such an aggressive/unpleasant behaviour really necessary? Just move on. Internet is great for it allows us to totally ignore those we dislike. Just do it if you feel so.

Back to topic, I made a playthrough with Berzerker Mage, it is extremely potent. GM long sword and use BBoD for huge damage output. The "trinity" that are cloak of mirroring-berzerker rage-spell immunity combined with mage protections makes you immune to EVERYTHING (no control affects you (berzerker rage), no damage affects you (PfMW+ Mirror image+ stoneskin for physical damage, cloak of mirroring for magic) and none of this can be dispeled due to spell immunity)
    Blackraven
    @Arunsun: You can still get hurt by Cloudkill, Incendiary Cloud, and Death Fog, as these bypass the Cloak of Mirroring, being "Battleground"-type spells rather than "Offensive Damage"-type spells. But those spells aren't often an issue outside of Rakshasa battles.
    These are not used very often by enemies, and you can prevent them from being very dangerous using protection from fire or protection from acid. Only cloudkill could be a problem, and you can easily sustain its damage (considering nothing else hit you) with a couple of potions.
    semiticgoddess
    Umm, BBoD has its own grand mastery, you shouldn't need actual GM points. Tbh considering that this is pretty much the best weapon in the game, it makes dual class obsolete, as you lose quite a bit of benefit of grand mastery. Gnome F/I multis, rejoice!
    BlackravenGotural
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

@Arunsun: You can still get hurt by Cloudkill, Incendiary Cloud, and Death Fog, as these bypass the Cloak of Mirroring, being "Battleground"-type spells rather than "Offensive Damage"-type spells. But those spells aren't often an issue outside of Rakshasa battles.

Magic damage immunity/resistance is an option too remember, to prevent non-targeted spells like Cloudkill. You can use Inertial Barrier and or Prot From Magical Energy. Protection from Energy is a bit high level, but if you're otherwise indestructible, it could be handy. Heck, you can drop Incendiary Clouds etc and let your Berserker Mage draw suckers in, then just let them burn/disolve. Its a bit roundabout I admit, but the option exists.
    @Manveru123 : looks like I misread BBoD, thought it was only mastery. Well, you can spend your proficiency points for another type of weapon. Hammers maybe? Dual wield Runehammer-Crom faeyr, changing runehammer for BBoD upon using the spell, that would be quite deadly as well.
    Or maybe Ninjato etc... (scarlet ninjato as dual weapon for example, and spectral brand as main one when you don't have BBoD). I'd just want to mention that you do not always have BBoD unless you are a rest abuser.

Dual classing still has interest though, mainly berzerker rage in this case

@DreadKhan : you might even want to switch between cloak of mirroring and cloak of the dark moon (BG2EE) that gives you two 4-hours-long PfME per day
    Yeah I suppose I can see the merit of Berserker Rage if someone is not a Gnome. Becoming "winded" sounds like it could suck though.
    FinneousPJ
    The post-rage malus is not that big though.
    AC malus is meaningless, THAC0 is barely noticeable. Damages are noticeable but they won't ruin you. When you have 9APR and deal 35 damage per hit, dealing 30 instead does make a difference: from totally godlike, you are down to totally overpowered
    Cloudkill, Death Fog, and Incendiary Cloud are indeed generally non-issues in the vanilla game. I merely wished to point it out, as I found it interesting that they weren't blocked by the Cloak of Mirroring.
  • Max_DamageMax_Damage Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2015
    DreadKhan said:

Solo, might as well go for 13 for that 1/2 apr boost, and kit benefits. Kensai you could consider dualing even later, to get a bigger bonus. Berserker immunities as noted are devestatingly good for soloing.

Mages are strong late, but a well run Cleric is far better early on. Thief traps and poison weapon are very strong too, but they are harder to get the most out of.

I ve never understood how do you dual class at 9 or 13. How do you play 1st level character until you get your first class activated again? I prefer just setting up my dual class at lvl 7 and using BGee keeper to give myself xp to have class activated. This is something i just dont like about dual classing: waiting to have your class activated.
  • Max_DamageMax_Damage Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2015
    Otherwise solo: f/m, f/c, ranger->cleric

In a party: f/m, f/c, ranger->cleric but also berserker, barbarian(love these with defender of eastheaven, blackrazor and human flesh armor in ToB), chavalier, inquisitor

Dwarven defender? I consider it gamebreaking and imbalanced. 50% physical resistance without even trying.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited March 2015
    I was fiddling around with eekeeper yesterday and created a dwarven defender/mage/cleric for shits and giggles. Got me thinking, what would be the best setup: DwD/Mage or DwD/Mage/Cleric? The cleric brings with it alot of buffs, but would it be better to keep to two classes to avoid splitting the exp too much? Without cleric one has the option for both ranged and bladed weapons as well.

Edit: Just to make clear, my questions is about which of the two setups would be most OP, I know both would be awesome. The cleric add ie armor of faith for resistance stacking without items, but not sure it would even be needed thus making it unnecessary to divide the exp threeways. Then we got the HLA's as well, but I guess it will be mostly fighter HLA's.
    Post edited by Skatan on
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    edited March 2015

DreadKhan said:

Solo, might as well go for 13 for that 1/2 apr boost, and kit benefits. Kensai you could consider dualing even later, to get a bigger bonus. Berserker immunities as noted are devestatingly good for soloing.

Mages are strong late, but a well run Cleric is far better early on. Thief traps and poison weapon are very strong too, but they are harder to get the most out of.

I ve never understood how do you dual class at 9 or 13. How do you play 1st level character until you get your first class activated again? I prefer just setting up my dual class at lvl 7 and using BGee keeper to give myself xp to have class activated. This is something i just dont like about dual classing: waiting to have your class activated.
    Regaining levels is helped a ton if yoh almost complete a ton of quests. Just leave the 'report completion' stuff. After you get a few levels, many classes start having strong enough tools to get by.

For wizards, scribe scroll gives xp, and wands are not affected by your level, so wizards can easily dual. Thieves are the next best, then Druids, then Clerics, then Fighters, who are a terrible chore to dual. Actually, dualing a Cleric to a Ranger would be even harder, but Cleric of Lathander is pretty strong at least, but that would be a hard dual.

Unless you took a Ranger Kit, the multi offers much better combat ability at high levels, and is pretty competetive earlier.