Skip to content

Bhaalspawns of all ages, unite!

KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
It's well known that Baldur's Gate more or less forces us to play an 20 years old character (or someone of equivalent age in the case of non-human characters). While this is a fitting number of years for most would be adventures, it can get a little stale on the XYZth's playthrough. So I thought it might be fun to have a wider age range to choose from... you know, for a change of pace.

This poll here lets you vote for your personal favourite character age. Ever wanted to play as newborn baby or fossil? Now is your chance!

Personally, the thought of playing as an cane wielding, ill tempered grandfather amuses me the most! :)
  1. Bhaalspawns of all ages, unite!56 votes
    1. Newborn ( "YOINK!!! Got your nose!" )
        0.00%
    2. Toddler ( "I'm a rampaging Tarrasque!" *Kree!* *Kree!* )
        5.36%
    3. Young Child ( "What about now?" )
        1.79%
    4. Juvenile ( "Ha, you're a queer fellow." )
        8.93%
    5. Young Adult ( "I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but we have a real good one." )
      26.79%
    6. Adult ( "Life is so hollow." )
      19.64%
    7. Middle Age ( "Miserable day, it is. I think I got Sune's Horizontal Dancing Disease." )
        7.14%
    8. Old Age ( "There are two reasons I pound this pick against these rocks. Do you wish to hear them?" )
      10.71%
    9. Venerable ( "Cheap sweater? I'll have you know that that belonged to your grandfather, you ungrateful git!" )
      10.71%
    10. Fossil ( "...flesh here...enough to make me...whole again..." )
        8.93%
HeindrichRavenslightbooinyoureyesSionIVkcwiselolienBaldursCatlunarrufus_hobartDungeonnoobJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak

Comments

• DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    Heya,wasnt Aragorn from LOTR nearly hundred or something iirc.
    RavenslightJuliusBorisovlolienCrevsDaak
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

Heya,wasnt Aragorn from LOTR nearly hundred or something iirc.

87 I believe. He was a Dunedain though and lived to around 180 so that doesn't count.
    booinyoureyeslolienDungeonnoobCrevsDaak
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    It would a nice turning point if the child of bhaal had been around for a while (around 27 years old) before losing Gorion.
    CrevsDaak
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    When I play the protagonist, I always go with the canonical age, don't really know why.
    But I had a multiplayer run with a friend once, where his character was the main, so I basically played as an NPC, an 35-ish gnome lady.

Though an idea for playing older characters could be, that you headcanon Gorion as an half-elf or something along those lines. Also, since he is a powerfull wizard, maybe he managed to extend his life-expectancy and is actually over hundred years old at the beginning of the game. Or maybe he took in Charname as a teenager instead of a baby/ toddler. Or even as a young adult, as an apprentice of sorts (should work well for magicians and clerics of Oghma).

Oooor Charname isn't Gorion's ward after all, but some random dude who lived in Candlekeep and everyone you meet is an idiot :D
    rufus_hobartlolienRavenslightCrevsDaak
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    I'm a bit fascinated with the Bhaalspawn being a toddler. He really doesn't know what is going on, doesn't know what a Bhaalspawn is, for that matter.. :smiley: He would be a sorcerer and just flings spells at anyone he thinks scary enough.

"Ya wanna play wiv my FRUUUMball?" *pops a Fireball-spell at Imoen*
    KamigoroshiCrevsDaak
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    @Jenzafar Hehe, I love it!
    KamigoroshiJuliusBorisovDungeonnoob
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I'm now three years older since I created this thread.

And I still want playable geezers dammit!

• MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    edited August 2018
    Jenzafar said:

I'm currently playing an inexplicably elderly character with this awesome portrait (credit Craig J. Spearing):

This is so I can finally, finally use the godawful old crone female voice from the original BG ("Deaaaath will come swiftly for youuuu!") I'm having a blast playing with my husband @dinobirdguy in the room because he keeps saying stuff like, "Does this potion relieve constipation?" and "Are you Matlock?" in that voice.
    Then take one more thing to you awesome portraits collection:
    Kamigoroshi
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366

I'm now three years older since I created this thread.

And I still want playable geezers dammit!

I'm with you @Kamigoroshi.
    I love the human wizard sprite but really, a 20 year old with gray hair and a beard? Preposterous! Oh, and get the Hell off of my lawn...
    Kamigoroshi
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Closest thing to ‘zombie’ that I could find. I want to play a zombie.
    Balrog99Kamigoroshi
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Now just add the 1st ed. AD&D age modifiers (from Dungeon Masters Guide) and we're set. I often used them to start older characters because of this alone. The numbers were cumulative as age increases.
    • Young Adult: -1 Wis, +1 Con
    • Adult/Mature: +1 Str, +1 Wis
    • Middle Aged: -1 Str (or half excp. Str), -1 Con, +1 Int & Wis
    • Old: -2 Str & Dex, -1 Con, +1 Wis
    • Venerable: -1 Str, Dex & Con, +1 Int & Wis
    None could exceed maximums except for Wisdom.
    ThacoBell
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Weird that people become that much wiser when they become older.
    ThacoBell
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    lroumen said:

that much wiser

I mostly meant the steep difference of 5 points. That is a whole lot.