Skip to content

Brass blade +5

Soo... where can I get this weapon, if it's even possible to get and not a blackpits item?

I tried looking googling it but there's like 0 info on that.

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    There is no way to get that item at the moment. It was some leak of a possible future content which may never come, but it is clearly unobtainable at the moment.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I don't think it was ever included in the game. It is probably Just like Chanserv's Fish in BG1:EE. Both items are a bit of a mystery. The only way to get either of these items is with the console.

C:CreateItem("blun40") ~ Chanserv's Fish (BG1:EE only)

C:CreateItem("ohdsw03") ~ Brass Blade (BG2:EE only)
    JuliusBorisovjustfeelinathomeQuartz
  • KaiketsuKaiketsu Member Posts: 38
    I see. Well, it's kinda powerful, but if you can't get it, I guess Foebane has to suffice :)
    IMO Foebane > Brass Blade
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    What is this mysterious blade?
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    Sounds like a nice blade.
    semiticgoddess
    edited March 2015
    Tresset said:

Well, Brassblade is the strongest weapon in the game damage-wise (20 average damage), only matched by Foebane indeed if the bonus works as I think, but there's a small catch - foebane's bonus doesn't work vs other enemies than undead/demons/devils/shapeshifters making it a much less impressive 14 avg dam weapon.

However, Foebane is pretty much out there from the start of BG2, accessible via a quick stroll to Watcher's keep, and the upgrade can be done very early in ToB, so it may as well take the cake of the best weapon in the game.
    Quartz
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Kaiketsu said:

Tresset said:

Well, Brassblade is the strongest weapon in the game damage-wise (20 average damage), only matched by Foebane indeed if the bonus works as I think, but there's a small catch - foebane's bonus doesn't work vs other enemies than undead/demons/devils/shapeshifters making it a much less impressive 14 avg dam weapon.

However, Foebane is pretty much out there from the start of BG2, accessible via a quick stroll to Watcher's keep, and the upgrade can be done very early in ToB, so it may as well take the cake of the best weapon in the game.
    Pure damage make best weapon it does not.
    Tressetelminstersemiticgoddess
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Wowo said:

Pure damage make best weapon it does not.

HERETIC!

semiticgoddess
    edited March 2015
    Besides, I am pretty sure the Staff of the Ram +6 does more damage than the Brass Blade +5. Or at least they are about the same...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Staff of the Ram

Damage: 1d6+12, +1d4 piercing

= 14-22 damage (18 average damage).

Brass Blade

Damage: 2d4+5, +10 fire damage

17-23 damage (20 average damage).

So yea basically they are very similar.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @elminster: Ram might still have more potential in the right hands. I don't believe you can backstab with bastard swords, and a single backstab, whether from a Fighter/Thief or a Stalker, adds several APR to the total.

The Iron Golem attack has crazy damage, too, though you can't add proficiency bonuses to it. 4d10 makes 22 damage on average, plus a base STR of 24. Works great with Righteous Magic, Kai, and Offensive Spin.
    The Brass Blade is 1h. That means 4 attacks per round with it (or 8 with IH) - it's UNREAL damage. Makes me think this was intended for some special purpose, and not for actual prolonged character use.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2015

The Brass Blade is 1h. That means 4 attacks per round with it (or 8 with IH) - it's UNREAL damage. Makes me think this was intended for some special purpose, and not for actual prolonged character use.

Yea I suppose its possible it was intended as a late game object obtainable only in the black pits 2. I can't see them looking to add it to the base game. Especially with Foebane +5 already being a pretty good bastard sword.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Maybe Count Brass has it at Castle Brass? (for anyone who remembers Moorcock)
    Blades
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    ohd prefix suggests that it is tied to Dorn somehow. I don't play ToB so I wouldn't know, isn't it obtainable from Dorn ToB content?
    It's not obtainable at all, currently. At least in any legit way (you can console/EEKeeper it in).

You can get to 10 with offhand kundane/belm/scarlet. Or to 10 with true grand mastery mod, which I always use.

Staff of Ram is fine for a FMT going mislead+greater haste for 10 backstabs per round since ALL of its damage is multiplied (while elemental damage isn't), but that's about it. 2-handed weapons are MEH in 2nd edition of D&D. The lack of APR is just screwing them too much, and depending on greater whirlwind all the time isn't fun.
    edited March 2015
    Kaiketsu said:

Or to 10 with true grand mastery mod, which I always use.

I am curious about this mod, because I was under the impression that EE already did have "true grandmastery". I am not sure what "true grandmastery" means though so...
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Fire resistance is more common than piercing though, and bludgeoning trumps slashing. I still say FotA +5 is better than this mysterious sword of improper birth.
    Tresset said:

Kaiketsu said:

I am curious about this mod, because I was under the impression that EE already did have "true grandmastery". I am not sure what "true grandmastery" means though so...
    Well, true grandmastery adds an extra attack (the way it used to be in original BG1). IIRC, EE grandmastery only adds half attack.

TressetbadbromanceJuliusBorisov
    Kaiketsu said:

You can get to 10 with offhand kundane/belm/scarlet. Or to 10 with true grand mastery mod, which I always use.

A common misconception. You do get 10 APR, but not 10 APR with The Brass Blade; you'll only get 8 with it, because 1 APR is always the offhand and that gets doubled to 2 under IH because of how IH works (crams 2 rounds into 1). So, 8 APR max with your MH under IH.

The only way to ACTUALLY get 10 APR with The Brass Blade would be unequipping the offhand and using GWW.
    Kaiketsu said:

Staff of Ram is fine for a FMT going mislead+greater haste for 10 backstabs per round since ALL of its damage is multiplied (while elemental damage isn't), but that's about it. 2-handed weapons are MEH in 2nd edition of D&D. The lack of APR is just screwing them too much, and depending on greater whirlwind all the time isn't fun.

I absolutely agree. SotR is made for backstabbing, and that's basically all I ever use it for. Aside from SotR, the only other 2h I actually use regularly is Carsomyr - but that's primarily for the dispel.
    elminsterwoowoovoodoo

I absolutely agree. SotR is made for backstabbing, and that's basically all I ever use it for. Aside from SotR, the only other 2h I actually use regularly is Carsomyr - but that's primarily for the dispel.

I see it as being made for raw damage output and not solely for backstabbing. It can also KO stuff which is kinda nice. My blackguard has many different 2h weapons he uses. He switches to the Staff of the Ram when he just wants to do damage. Ravager is for the chance of a lucky insta-kill. Ixil's Spike is for when he wants free action and a chance to pin someone. Firetooth is for doing ranged damage. If you are only using Staff of the Ram for backstab then you must be missing the fact that it is good in just about anyone's hands.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Agreed, @Tresset - I've got Imoen carrying SotR +6 at the moment, and certainly she can do a fine backstab with it, but also the fact that it's got +6 THAC0 means that she actually stands a decent chance of hitting an enemy in ordinary melee, in spite of being only a Thief. (Of course I'm not deliberately sending her into melee, but when someone sneaks up on her or catches her out of position, it's turned out to be useful that she can hit back, and pretty hard too.)

Kaiketsu said:

A common misconception. You do get 10 APR, but not 10 APR with The Brass Blade; you'll only get 8 with it, because 1 APR is always the offhand and that gets doubled to 2 under IH because of how IH works (crams 2 rounds into 1). So, 8 APR max with your MH under IH.

The only way to ACTUALLY get 10 APR with The Brass Blade would be unequipping the offhand and using GWW.
    Kaiketsu said:

Using a REALLY strong 1h weapon with SWS and GWW is pretty high damage per round. Should be always better than DWing with a speed weapon CS and IH, but I wouldn't bother doing that unless using the FotA +5 anyways. CS w/IH is solid and less weapon sensitive.
    I'd wager that for MH + GWW to be better than DW + IH + CS you'd need RIDICULOUS thac0 (or irrelevant mobs in which case why bother). Given that you'd mostly dual at 9, your thac0 probably isn't at a level where you'd be hitting enough for GWW to be better than CS. Not to mention that against enemies you can in fact crit (Beholders especially) CS is just better by miles no question.
    What are you talking about?? if you dual, chances are you're dualing out of fighter. Did I miss something?? But regardless, I was refering to a pure warrior. So full THAC0.

As for this silly aside, I'll point out this bit of info before moving on; GWW + SWS means 10 apr with the best weapon in the game, one which precludes being hasted. Even if you could use IH, you only get 8 apr with the Flail, vs 10 with GWW. The offhand hits will basicly do damage from the strength bonus IF they can even hit the opponent, and most significant enemies have some manner of crit immunity, but for those lacking it, 10 apr averages out to 1 crit per round. If you use CS, you get 4 apr with the flail max, averages to the damage of 8 flail hits with non-immune targets and maybe .5 of a flail hit with the off-hand for 8.5 per round, maybe 9, and the GWW averages 2 from a crit, 8.5 from 9 non-crit swings, accounting for a critical miss every other round, so that'd be 10.5.

Of course, someone could DW without the FotA, but that'd be a bit more tedious to work out precisely. I totally agree though almost any other weapon CS and IH wins vs GWW.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited March 2015
    Kaiketsu said:

Tresset said:

Kaiketsu said:

Well, true grandmastery adds an extra attack (the way it used to be in original BG1). IIRC, EE grandmastery only adds half attack.

But it was impossible to actually get grandmastery in BG1, so I don't know if that really counts as evidence that grandmastery is supposed to provide a full +1 APR.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @TJ_Hooker: I'm reasonably certain the BG1 XP cap, at least with TotSC, allowed a fighter to get to level 9, and therefore grandmastery.