Skip to content

What is your favorite method of killing dragons?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I prefer the straight up valiant charge.
    by_the_swordGrumVitorKrotos
  • reap_iireap_ii Member Posts: 43
    Flank and spank
    by_the_sword
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307

I actually had the strangest win over Firkraag in my last Monk run. I wasn't in the mood for Quivering Palm cheese, and I only had my PC plus Dace (Bounty Hunter, but I didn't want to use trap cheese either), so I was actually kind of outmatched with no way to beat his spell protections. I wound up running away from him and out of his lair area. When I got back up to the dungeon, he was waiting for me on the other side of the table in the last room, and he was stuck! He was too big to get at me from over there, so I took him down with arrow fire. Weirdest fight in a long, long time. I really wish I'd been able to get a screenshot of his dead body after, it was just the funniest thing.

"Quivering Palm Cheese" sounds disgusting...
    the_sexteinby_the_swordGrumKrotos
  • bhudspatbhudspat Member Posts: 13
    Any tips on defeating saladrex?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    bhudspat said:

Any tips on defeating saladrex?

Wait until you're high-enough-level and well-enough-equipped, then (like @elminster above) "I prefer the straight up valiant charge".
  • ShivanShivan Member Posts: 22
    The very first time I played the game, I had an incredibly lucky hit with a Chromatic Orb against Firkraag at the level where it Petrifies the target, leaving a giant stone dragon. that has never happened again...
    wubble
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited March 2015
    Ouch. What happened to the loot?
    JuliusBorisov
    I don't remember... I don't remember ever getting carsomyr until the next time I played the game, so it's possible I never got the loot- I just took the win and gtfo! (and ironically, that first play through was the only one until right now that I had a paladin main character, so it might've come in handy, huh?)
    @Shivan - that's exactly why I never use Chromatic Orb at the levels when it'll petrify the target! (Similarly I never use Flesh to Stone.) Far too much great loot to risk missing out.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    My favourite way to kill dragons? What I call the "ultimate cheese": With one char, click on the drake as if you wanted to speak to him (works only with originally friendly drake), the walk back, then click once more, etc...
    Meanwhile your other characters can kill it without it becoming enemy at any time.

Works with any enemy. But it s an insane trivialisation of the game so I try never to abuse this.
    Elrandir
  • AdsoAdso Member Posts: 122
    Use the "weirding way."
    Ardul
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Adso: What's that?
    @semiticgod - It's a Dune reference; a secret Bene Gesserit technique for mental domination.
    Adso
    Too bad dragons are immune to charm.
  • AdsoAdso Member Posts: 122
    edited March 2015

@semiticgod - It's a Dune reference; a secret Bene Gesserit technique for mental domination.

Dragons may be immune to charm, but not this use of it.
    Post edited by Adso on
    urdjur
  • Max_DamageMax_Damage Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2015
    You get the idea :D polymorph other and feeblemind are the first dragon killing spells you get.
  • AnonymousHeroAnonymousHero Member Posts: 98
    Favorite way to kill a dragon, you say? Solo Sorcerer or a Sorcerer capable of LR + a party of spellcasters. It's usually a cakewalk.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459

You get the idea :D polymorph other and feeblemind are the first dragon killing spells you get.

I like the practical way you've named your characters. Reminds me of my uncle, who introduced me to BG/IWD, and would name their characters "1" to "6" because who cares about that stuff.
    JuliusBorisovXeZeL
  • DemonicDemonic Member Posts: 75
    I usually supply him with a lot of summons for him to cast on and then it's combination of melee, hit'n run and spells (Which begins with multiple lower resitances). I'f you're smart enough you'll wait with the dragon killing untill you're strong enough to do this. Oh and The Rod of Resurrection. Never forget that one. Killing dragon with the standart no-cheese method has it's risks (Your caster dying to a stray fireball for example) so it's nice to have this rod with you. If I remember it correctly it ressurects with full HP, so it's great to use in mid-fight, especially for casters as their potential is largely independent on gear.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    Spike traps.
    Dragon: "i will slaughter you!"
    Become hostile; dead.

The same with time traps, greater whirlwind attack, dead.
  • GreenWyvernGreenWyvern Member Posts: 247
    Ah, I encountered my first dragon ever yesterday! AlbinoWyvern and I destroyed it to bits!

And by that, I mean Albino [As a dwarven defender] wrecked it and barely lost health, while I [As a Thief/Mage] cast improved haste on her and stood by, accidentally talking the kill with Melf's Acid Arrow.
    AlbinoWyvern
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    @GreenWyvern Which dragon?
  • GreenWyvernGreenWyvern Member Posts: 247
    wubble said:

@GreenWyvern Which dragon?

To all whom may concern: Icewind Dale spoilers!
    Icasaracht from Heart of Winter! Not sure how it compares to other dragons, since I haven't gotten to playing BGII yet [After IWD!], and as I said, it's the only dragon I've encountered so far!
    AlbinoWyvern
  • AlbinoWyvernAlbinoWyvern Member Posts: 32

Ah, I encountered my first dragon ever yesterday! AlbinoWyvern and I destroyed it to bits!

And by that, I mean Albino [As a dwarven defender] wrecked it and barely lost health, while I [As a Thief/Mage] cast improved haste on her and stood by, accidentally talking the kill with Melf's Acid Arrow.

Thanks to the fact that our party consisted only of my Dwarf and Green's Thief/Mage, I was able to achieve lv 30 (and 100% immunity to slashing weapons, while using the dwarven stance) before fighting the dragon. Nothing has been a challenge for quite a while now, since walking up and attacking is the most efficient (and only) strategy with my character class. XD

• abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    edited April 2015

@abazigal5, can you please tell me how you have Minsc kitted out? Do you have him dual wield? Is he wearing a girlde of giant Strength? I am curious, and would love to maximize my Minsc. Thanks. :smile:

In ToB, I have him using Crom Faeyr, Red Dragon Plate (or scale, whatever), the Darksteel shield, Runehammer (upgraded) and Hangard's Axe.
    In SoA, I have him use Frostreaver for most of the time, and I forget what else, besides the red dragon armor. :/

I just finally used the Scroll of Protection from Magic method... I literally have never used those scrolls before, in the decade plus of playing. It makes it just... way too easy, even to solo.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Protection from magic is also called "scroll of cheesiness" in some ancient Netheril language
    JuliusBorisov
    @Arunsun: Say what you will about the scroll, but it sure beats playing the game.

Seriously, though, I have nothing against Protection from Magic scrolls. It's been ages since I used one, though, since they make things too simple for my tastes.
    Well, there are only two scrolls of Protection from Magic in the whole game, and it seems to me only mildly cheesy if you thereby just make two battles easy. What's seriously cheesy is combining a scroll of Protection from Magic with a Simulacrum, so that you can still have the scroll after using it, thereby trivialising loads of battles.
    semiticgoddessJuliusBorisov