Skip to content

EE Keeper, Updated to v1.0.4

Comments

• MakranMakran Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2015
    solved my problem
    Post edited by Makran on
  • GrunkerGrunker Member Posts: 46
    ^ Thanks! I'm running with 3E sneak attacks, but that shouldn't change anything is my guess. Thanks for all the help.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    does eekeeper have HLA support yet just wondering really would like to be able to add use any item to some of my RP runs
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    I assume you mean in BGEE?

BGEE doesn't have the spell files for HLAs. You'd need to install a mod that added the HLA spell files to BGEE.
  • hllfrznovrhllfrznovr Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    no matter what I do I can't seem to get any save games to display in ee keeper. All the locations seem to be correct, and i have made several saves to try but it's not working. Please help.....

playing BG II EE
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @hllfrznovr, please post the locations you are using.

@Rajick, you can add Use Any Item by going to the Effects tab, add a new effect with opcode Item: Can Use Any Item [302], constant value 1. It's not HLA support, but it will achieve what you want.
  • ggallegherggallegher Member Posts: 78
    Troodon80 said:

Is there a reason that I can edit games, save them fine, portraits come up in game, but only the default portraits come up in EE Keeper? Had them coming up before I upgraded to version .7?

They should be in the list if the images are in the portraits folder.

Do you have the 'Use Custom Save Location' option checked under the installation directory settings?
    Hello, Troodon80. I'm having the same issue with custom portraits not showing in EE Keeper's portrait window.

I suspect it may be because EE Keeper is expecting pictures to use the old standards for dimensions, which was 38x60 pixels for a small image, and a separate image at 110x170 for where the larger version gets used in the game. In contrast, the new standard for the Enhanced Editions is anything less than 1,000 pixels in width and height can be used, and you only need one image because it will be automatically resized by the game accordingly for each area of the interface it's used in.

To elaborate, here's my BGEE folder structure for where the saves and custom portraits are stored:

EE Keeper's "Installation Directory" settings has the "Use Custom Save Location" checkbox ticked, with the filepath to it defined as "F:\Users\Squirm\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save\" (trust me on this, the field's width is too small to display the entire string in the screenshot, and the dialogue window doesn't allow for resizing via grab handles):

The "Open Single Player Saved Game" dialogue window correctly identifies all the saved games in the specified location, and even displays the custom portrait in use for the game in progress (!!!):

However, on opening the save file, the main EE Keeper editing interface doesn't recognise the custom portrait, displaying a blank, grey background instead:

In addition, the "Change Portrait" interface, invoked by clicking on the "Change Portrait" button in the main editing interface, doesn't have any of the custom portraits listed within either of the "Small Portrait" or "Large Portrait" menus. All of my custom portraits reside within the "portraits" folder that sits next to the "saves" folder (see the first screenshot), and are accessible via the usual means within the game itself.

Phew! Hope that all makes sense. Like I opined earlier, this may be due to custom portraits now not conforming to rigid pixel dimensions and being any old height and width that doesn't exceed 1,000 pixels.
    @ggallegher,

EE Keeper's "Installation Directory" settings has the "Use Custom Save Location" checkbox ticked, with the filepath to it defined as "F:\Users\Squirm\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save\" (trust me on this, the field's width is too small to display the entire string in the screenshot, and the dialogue window doesn't allow for resizing via grab handles)

The problem is the path. Remove 'save\' from the end and untick 'Use Custom Save Location'.

Also, just to note that the portraits that are shown in the open save game dialog are take from the save folder, not the portraits folder. :-)
  • ggallegherggallegher Member Posts: 78
    Aha. Much obliged, @Troodon80. Guess my intuition was mistaken, but I couldn't be happier.

• catch6229catch6229 Member Posts: 29
    Pibaro said:

I thought you could do it, but it looks like @catch6229 is right.
    I couldn't find it.

Just checking in - has anyone found a way to make the editor work for Icewind Dale - EE for IPad? I'm still using the work-around (saving the games in the BG 2 editor and opening them as if they were BG 2 saves). The one major drawback to this is approach is you automatically lose all Icewind Dale mage spells - regardless whether you edit the spell portion or not.

I was brainstorming - it seems the best way to make it work is to create a duplicate of BG2 EE (provided you have it) - Rename it Icewind Dale EE. Then, manually override the item and spell description data in the BG 2 editor with the descriptions from Icewind Dale. Would it be possible for those of us trying for anyone to upload a zip file with the item and spell descriptions used by EE Keeper for Icewind Dale?
    @catch6229 @Pibaro, after asking around and doing some reading—it looks like this is the problem.

I'll see what I can do about not having Keeper remove spells and items that it cannot find. Short of that, the alternatives are:-
    • Try and find a comparison list of spells and items between Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition, and then duplicate and rename existing spells over to Icewind Dale - Enchained Edition to accommodate Keeper;
    • Buying the game on a desktop platform as well, just so you can use Keeper (which doesn't seem logical to me just so that you can use some third party application to edit save games), or;
    • Potentially jailbreaking your device (do not do this).
    Troodon80 said:

@catch6229 @Pibaro, after asking around and doing some reading—it looks like this is the problem.

I'll see what I can do about not having Keeper remove spells and items that it cannot find. Short of that, the alternatives are:-

• Try and find a comparison list of spells and items between Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition, and then duplicate and rename existing spells over to Icewind Dale - Enchained Edition to accommodate Keeper;
    • Buying the game on a desktop platform as well, just so you can use Keeper (which doesn't seem logical to me just so that you can use some third party application to edit save games), or;
    • Potentially jailbreaking your device (do not do this).
    That might work. Just FYI it doesn't remove items, as far as I've seen, just spells. Don't know why one vs the other
    edited March 2015
    @catch6229, I did a little bit of work on that (don't have much time to spare, though). It appears to work, more or less (no item/spell names or icons, for obvious reasons). I just need to change a few things around before I upload it. That will probably be Saturday when it gets uploaded, that's when I'll get more time to work on it properly. :-)
    Post edited by Troodon80 on
  • BrianG2063BrianG2063 Member Posts: 1
    What a heap of complete shite... It doesn't work atall.. It won't open my save files, it won't recognise them. I list the Installation Directory appropriately - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\ and the Save Data Directory exactly the same - C:\Users\Brian G\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\save\ I even tried linking it to the specific saves folder - nothing. What a total waste of time.. Anyone reading this, don't bother, it's nothing but a time waster. This games listed on Nexus Mods now, your only real options to keep checking back there to see if anyones bothered to make a mod that actually does the job this utter crap failed at so bloody miserably.
    edited March 2015

What a heap of complete shite...

Because my program is a heap of complete shite, I decided to add further instructions to the second post.
    Isaya said:

You have to give the folder containing the "save" folder, as save games for the Black Pits and multiplayer games are in "bpsave", "mpsave" folders, side by side with the "save" folder. EE Keeper adds the "save", "bpsave", "mpsave" depending on the kind of game you decide to edit.

Q. Keeper isn't finding my save games. What's wrong?

A. Two possibilities here:-
    1. There is a setting which disregards auto-saves and quick-saves. This is from the original Keeper. Since it doesn't overwrite the existing save game, rather it creates a new folder, I'm not sure why Aaron O'Neil made it this way. I just left it as it was. You can find the setting to show auto-saves and quick-saves under Settings⇒Miscellaneous, and find the option labelled "Enable editing of quick and auto saves."
    2. The new profile system allows the user to specify the save game directory. However, there is apparently some confusion over what that means. The instructions specify "the directory where the 'save' folder resides"; that means the folder containing the save folder, but not to select the save folder itself (please see example INI layout for basic folder paths).
      • What this means is that Keeper will append 'save', 'mpsave', 'bpsave', 'mpbpsave', 'characters', 'portraits', and 'override' to the current path in the text box. If you have Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save\ already, what Keeper is really looking for internally is Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save\save. As might be thought, that won't find any save games.
  • ShelfunitShelfunit Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2015
    Right - recently got BG:EE & BG2:EE (hundreds of hours of fun in the late 90's/early mid-2000's :-) ), and in preparation for the golden pantaloons etc fun installed the EE keeper. I am having great problems getting it to work on the first game (not tried on the second as I am going for a complete playthrough, and am only at cloakwood at the mo), and I have run into a couple of issues - NOTE - consider me a complete computer illiterate who needs to be babysat through any and all procedures.

1) When I open the Keeper I immediately get the message "EE keeper was unable to find a valid game installation. Please ensure the installation path is set correctly."

2) Clicking "ok" to this brings up the "Installation directory" box. On the "game profile" drop down menu I have "game editor" as the only choice.

3) I am unsure of what I am suppose to put in the "installation directory" box directly below this.

EDIT: Think I've nailed this one ^

4) The "Game language" drop down menu has no options.

5) The "User saved game directory" is a problem too - I have no "saved game" folder, and am unsure where my save files are...

That's about it really. Consider me an idiot of epic proportions when (if) you decide to try and help me :-)
    Post edited by Shelfunit on
    Oh, I got it from GOG if that makes a difference.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @Shelfunit Here are simple instructions on how to create and set up your profile.

The installation directory may be in a sub-directory of the folder you chose when you installed the game. The directory that EE Keeper wants contains a file named chitin.key and several directories including data, lang, movies, music and script.
    Then you shall have a list of available languages, from the content of the lang directory.

The directory for the "User save game directory" should be "C:\Users\Your name\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" (for BGEE). For BG2EE, there is an additional "II" in the name.
    Ensure you run the game at least once in order to create that directory.
    Don't check "Use Custom Save Location".
    Thank you for the prompt reply Isaya - I'll give it a go and either post in triumph, or hideous defeat in the near future :-).
    Troodon80 said:

Er... my bad. I already have a fix for that, though. Just working on a different thing at the moment. I should have a new version uploaded tomorrow.

After I filled the other sections in correctly that didn't appear to make any difference to the end result if that helps?
    Also of note: I've disabled memorisation checker. It doesn't work well for sorcerers or if there happen to be high level bonus spell slots. I might do some work on that, but thought I'd get that in there before someone reports it as a bug.
    @catch6229, spells and items are no longer erased when you save in Keeper, despite the warning. Can you try out the latest version and see if it works?
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    Thanks for the update. This tool is awesome!
  • ApostataApostata Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2015
    Dear All,

I am using EE-Keeper 1.0.2.6, using WIN7, and I have an odd problem. I set my installation directory to C:\Program Files (x86)\Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition\Data\00798\; and the save game to C:\Users\Username\Documents\Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition\, I can edit and save the game data, but I cannot open them from the game, they are not found in the load game section, and they don't appear in the saved games folder either. This problem doesn't only occur with Icewind Dale, but also with BGEE I + II.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    @Apostata, it's strange that it says it is apparently saving but not to Documents.

I have attached a version of Keeper which will add the output path to the log when you save. It should be at the bottom or near the botton of the log file. Make sure you have Logging = true in the INI file under [Settings] as shown in the second post at the start of this topic.

That will give you the path to the folder, you can use that to find out where it is apparently saving your games. Just copy and paste it into Explorer (at the top where you see Dokumente ➤ Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition ➤ save ➤)
    Troodon80 said:

@catch6229, spells and items are no longer erased when you save in Keeper, despite the warning. Can you try out the latest version and see if it works?

Just tried it out, works fine! Spells and items remain - they show up in the editor as unknown. One question I've got, in terms of further progressing it - is there any chance you could publish or print a list of Icewind Dale items by Item code - or spells by the same name? It'd work as an end-around to editing - albeit slightly more difficult - but easily doable.