Skip to content

Brass blade +5

13»

Comments

• KaiketsuKaiketsu Member Posts: 38
    edited March 2015
    Arunsun said:

You can get the Staff of the Magi really early though. As soon as chapter two to be exact. Just go pick the rogue stone in one of the following location:
    Trademeet (Given to you as reward when you get rid of the djinnis)
    MaeVar guild second floor (room with like 15 locks to pick)

Then you can head to bridge district and get your staff
    Same for Ring of Gaxx: get one of the anti-undead weapon (daystar, burning earth, frostreaver), grab a scroll of magical protection, and get your gaxx ring in less than 1h after starting the game

Come on, what's the point of even getting items if you're playing non-SCS when there's 0 reason to even gear up? :) (due to lack of any challenge at all, even for casuals)

In SCS Gaxx laughs at your anti undead weapons and your scroll of magical protection and kills you. That's more like a demi lich, don't you think?

Not to bash anyone's preferences of course, but cheesing and/or powergaming without even a proper challenge to face feels like using battleship's guns to sink a trireme.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited March 2015
    I would use SCS if it was compatible with the Android version but I do not believe it is. So far I can all but get the difficulty to insane. By the way what can Kangaxx do against a scroll of magic protection that negates ANY magic to get in or out of it? SCS modifies AI, not game mechanics

Edit: unless it gives Gaxx a spellstrike, which does negate protection from magic scroll with spell tweaks.
    No problem, just bring Korgan along and have him Zerk rage
  • KaiketsuKaiketsu Member Posts: 38
    edited March 2015
    It gives him a spellstrike, yes.

And in addition, he casts spells too, not just spams the "trap the soul" like a dumb@ss. No more tanking with a single char :)
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Mmmmh then it becomes a challenge to do him too early...

By the way do you know if SCS is compatible with Android BG2EE?
  • AnonymousHeroAnonymousHero Member Posts: 98
    edited March 2015
    Kaiketsu said:

I'm not a big fan of the "slow" effect. It doesn't really do that much. And you have to proc it (can't remember what the chance was, 25% or 35%) when directly hitting the target.

If you value the slow effect however, you can always cast it, the "slow" spell is merely a level 3 spell and it has -4 to save, so it should work in SoA most of the time, plus it's IIRC AoE and there's no need to hit targets and pray for the 25% proc chance to trigger. So it comes when you actually may need it, unlike the unreliable melee-range single target slow from FOA.

Are you joking? Anyone using FoA is probably going to have at least 3 (or so, at least) APR (double with IH) which means that (given, y'know, "statistics") the enemy is going to be slowed within a single round (on average). Oh, and in case you hadn't noticed -- slow is absurdly powerful -- it lowers spellcasting rate, movement rate, attack rate... everything. Just try pitting a Sorcerer with Stoneskin (no PfMW! :)) against Improved Torgal from SCS/Tactics to get a feeling for how powerful Slow is.

(Casting the Slow spell is pathetic, compared to the FoA, btw. The FoA doesn't offer a saving throw, there's no Clear Aura or Spellcasting time to wait for...)
    Kaiketsu said:

I'm not a big fan of the FoA flail. It's too much of a tease. While it's great in SoA, it's however annoying to know that the awesome upgrade is just something to use for like 10 mins before game ends. :X

Ok, so, there's two things here: a) Even if you're not modding Cromwell to allow pre-ToB upgrade, you'll be allowed to upgrade the FoA[1] to +4 as soon as you leave Saradush, and b) Almost no enemies are actually immune to +3 weapons.

Certainly, some key and interesting enemies are immune to +3, but +3 is a workhorse. Add in the elemental bonuses (damage and interruption) and you've got a winner.

EDIT: Oh, and forgot: Slow actually also slows regeneration which may be one of the most powerful effects that there is -- even the (non-nerfed) Staff of the Magi is useless if your enemy can regenerate faster than you can damage it. (You would thing perma-invisibility would be enough to defeat anything, but you'd be wrong.)
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262

modding Cromwell to allow pre-ToB upgrade

You have my attention.
  • AnonymousHeroAnonymousHero Member Posts: 98

@Arunsun: I was referring not to the staff's location, but to the difficulty of the fight. High levels or green scrolls are usually necessary to win that battle, unless you're really familiar with the battle. It's doable, but the difficulty is on par with some late-game battles. I'd say it's harder than the fight with Irenicus at the Tree of Life, with or without SCS.

The Staff of the Magi is much harder to get than the early-game items I mentioned, hence my grouping it with the late-game items.

I know you qualified your statement, but I can't resist... AFAIR, all you need is a character capable of casting mage scrolls (and probably a few memorized Skull Trap spells, so probably Sorcerer or Mage) to cast enough Skull Traps into the Vaxall "spot" that he's insta-killed, and then you can basically get by with a stack of Cloudkill wands + a single Scroll of Protection from Magic. (PfM isn't enough against vanilla Vaxall because beholder death rays require a Save vs Death and beholder rays aren't subject to PfM -- even though their own Anti-magic rays nullify all magic. Go figure. Although... if you have a good enough save vs Death, go for it!)

With SCS/Tactics it's not quite that simple and you have to use a lot more imagination...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Tresset said:

modding Cromwell to allow pre-ToB upgrade

You have my attention.
    Pretty sure its a tweak pack thing.
    Tresset
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Yep, Tweak allows you to upgrade things in SoA that you can actually acquire the materials for (FoA+4, White Dragon Scales, Bard Gloves, Paladin Bracers, etc.). I find that useful and logical, after all you've gone and found all the things you need. And it's not like there is a dearth of +4 weapons in SoA, so a partially upgraded FoA is not out of line.
    The one thing that would seem out of place in SoA in that respect would be the white dragon armor. That stuff is pretty crazy on a thief or better yet a thief dual/multi.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Wow. I sit here, an iPhone user who can't use any more at all...and who yet still sometimes has trouble (note: I try not to take any precautions that my characters wouldn't know about. Meaning fights like the vampires in Firkrag's dungeon are killer). All of this talk of 'improved kangax ' and the like just goes to show that even after all these years I'm still not all that good a player. :p
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @AnonymousHero: I'm not sure why you bring it up. You're replying to my comment, and it sounds like you're disagreeing with something I said, but I'm not sure what that is. Forgive me if I misunderstand something.

If what you're disagreeing with is my claim that the difficulty is on par with late-game encounters--which is what you quoted me as saying, and I can only assume that's the claim you wished to discuss--Well, no. That point still stands, Skull Traps and green scrolls or not.

The fact that there exists a simple way of defeating the Twisted Rune does not mean it is not one of the toughest fights in the game. Why is this? Because for most fights in the game, there are FIFTY simple ways of winning the battle, not one or two or ten. If we can come up with more easy ways to defeat the Twisted Rune than we can think of easy ways to beat Torgal (the standard early game boss), THEN we could argue that the Twisted Rune is not on par with late-game battles.

There's an easy way to beat every single critter in the game. The question is if there's more than one way to take them down without trouble. And there are a lot fewer easy ways to beat the Twisted Rune than most fights in the game.

What exactly could NOT be killed with the strategy you describe, stacking Skull Traps on a spawn point, and giving yourself undispellable immunity to all magic with a scroll? The only example I can think of are golems.

Compare Kobolds and Umber Hulks. Sure, you can kill both with Dragon's Breath or Comet. But that doesn't mean they're the same level of difficulty. Not unless you only face them at level 20.
    I'm not disagreeing with anything you said. I'm just commenting that for people who need SCS to have a challenge...they are obviously better players than myself. Heck, before writing this, I just had a TPK 3 times on Rasaad's SoA quest. And what I infer by this, is directed at Kaiketsu. Some of us play without mods, on normal, and kinda do need to go for the powerful items to win.
    Quartz
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited March 2015
    @Grum: I was actually talking to AnonymousHero in that last post, not you. I'll tag you if I do.

@Grum: I was actually talking to AnonymousHero in that last post, not you. I'll tag you if I do.

I got a message saying that I was mentioned in this post. And my brain somehow stopped working from that point...
    TressetQuartz
    Grum said:

I got a message saying that I was mentioned in this post. And my brain somehow stopped working from that point...
    Been there done that...
    Quartz
  • Aiolos83Aiolos83 Member Posts: 568
    elminster said:

This flaming, magical bastard sword was forged in the Elemental Plane of Fire's City of Brass. It was stolen from the city many centuries ago, leaving a long trail of dead behind it as the sultan who oversaw its construction attempted to hunt it down. Over time, his anger cooled and his memory faded, and the sword was left to continually change hands between mortals.

STATISTICS:

Equipped Abilities:
    – Fire Resistance: +50%

Charge Abilities:
    – Cast Fireball once per day (centered on caster)
    Damage: 10d6 fire (Save vs. Spell for half)
    Area of Effect: 30-ft. radius

THAC0: +5
    Damage: 2d4+5, +10 fire damage
    Damage type: Slashing
    Speed Factor: 5
    Proficiency Type: Bastard Sword
    Type: One-handed
    Requires:
    11 Strength

Weight: 5

In EE2 where is it this blade?