Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity MEGATHREAD (caution: SPOILERS)

FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
edited March 2015 in Off-Topic
Welcome to the Pillars of Eternity MEGATHREAD.

Please post here everything related to PoE, including (but not limited to) personal opinion, your characters and your experiences with the game. You can also post your own or official reviews, let's plays, videos, etc. Basically, anything PoE goes.
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I'll start.

I bought the game today, and rolled a (Fire) Godlike Barbarian. I was going to roll a Godlike Rogue or Wizard, but I figured a more straightforward class would be better to learn the game. I really liked the character creation. It's quite in-depth and reminds me of Dragon Age Origins in a good way.

I started the game on hard. I'm now in the first town (Gilded Vale), and it's been quite easy so far. I did have to skip one optional encounter which seemed impossible alone. I'm planning to go back once I find a companion or two.

Overall, I'm liking the game. The combat seems chaotic at times, but I guess I could play around with the auto-pause settings. I kind of wish making a hardcore RPG funded by Kickstarter they made it turn based like Divinity: OS, but it wasn't to be.

I like the different ways the game narrates events. I think this could surpass BG series, but we shall see.

More later :)
  • SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219
    I must admit that up until Gilded Vale, it seemed quite easy... After that? Everything just seems to hammer me into the ground, no matter where I go ... o.0 Trying to run around finding stuff that can give me some XP... But I think I'm running out...
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Spungi said:

I must admit that up until Gilded Vale, it seemed quite easy... After that? Everything just seems to hammer me into the ground, no matter where I go ... o.0 Trying to run around finding stuff that can give me some XP... But I think I'm running out...

I felt the same. Get yourself some bows and kite things. Also complete quests, they are the only reliable way of getting large amounts of XP.
  • SpaceSpace Member Posts: 71
    The game is easy up until Caed Nau. I don't know what to do about the encounters with shadows and phantoms! It seems my party is dead before the battle begins! The difficulty curve really increases at Caed Nau.
    That's good to hear. I should reach that tomorrow.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Download at 1% , and will probably take a whole day to finish since my connection is lousy ...
    But I hope to be able to share my gaming experience soon!
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    A detail of this game I really love is the illustrations of monsters in the bestiary. They look straight out of the old Monster Manual or some Fighting Fantasy book. Top notch!
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    procco said:

A detail of this game I really love is the illustrations of monsters in the bestiary. They look straight out of the old Monster Manual or some Fighting Fantasy book. Top notch!

I love this as well. In fact, it's all the little things at the moment that is making the game seem even BETTER than the Infinity Games. But not in any way that means it's superior. It's just the options afforded by the advances in technology and game design. Who wouldn't have wanted a beastiary on-screen in BG or IWD (come to think of it Planescape already does have one in a way)?? The lore scattered about the game, the little details, is what is really making this click. Divinity: Original Sin was a hell of a game, and this one is even better.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

This game is super duper hard! I went straight for the abandoned temple, only to get destroyed by every stupid ghost. hard to "kite things"... they jet right after you so fast. Still, really fun game. I just need a stupid tank to soak up damage (until the stupid ghosts teleport)

@booinyoureyes rest at the in and then talk to people, one of the first companions won't join until then and they're a tank.
    edited March 2015
    It's just a superb game all around, almost impossibly good, and I'm only on about 5 hours of playing time. It's like they took every aspect of all 5 Infinity Engine games, improved upon their flaws, and fine-tuned it to a sheen. It has the adventure into the unknown of BG1, maintains the epic feel of BG2, an art-style similar to IWD, a stat and skill system closer to IWD2, and the depth and richness in story of PS:T. Throw in a mix of Temple of Elemental Evil (in the attacks of opportunity), a dash of Arcanum, and nearly as many ways to solve quests as Fallout.

What's been presented here is possibly the ultimate isometric CRPG. It's almost blasphemous to say so, but it becomes clearer with every step you take in the game that not only is it just as good as we hoped, it's actually significantly BETTER and may in fact be the best of the lot. It's impossible to deny that at the very least it is on equal footing with any of the titles mentioned above. I mean, Divinity: Original Sin was a really damn good game, a deserving RPG and Game of the Year winner, and Pillars of Eternity blows it out of the water. I already wish there was a Tales of the Sword Coast-like expansion and a sequel to pick up after I'm done, because I'm that into the world they've made.

Edit: I haven't even mentioned the fact, that, aside from the obvious replay options already innate in a game like this, that there is a frickin' DIRECTORS COMMENTARY option that kicks in as you go along if you so desire to go that route one day.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

I already wish there was a Tales of the Sword Coast-like expansion and a sequel to pick up after I'm done, because I'm that into the world they've made.

An expansion pack is allready promised, sorta. One of the Kickstarter reward tiers (and it could also be tacked on to pledges separately) mentions the "game's first expansion pack when it becomes available" or something along those lines. Obsidian's also said that if PoE is a success that they'll make a franchise out of it. Only time will tell what sort of expansion it turns out to be, but I think optimism is safe.
    Hard to believe the game isn't going to be a massive success. It reached #1 on Steam yesterday and will likely be the top-selling game on GOG for the foreseeable future. Without taking into account the fact that it is getting some of the best reviews in recent memory.

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Has anyone else felt that Priests got the short end of the stick? I mean, why for the love of Skaen can't they worship even *half* of the deities in game? Surely Obsidian must have realized that players would interested in playing a Priest of Abydon. Or of Galawain. Or of Hylea. Or of Ondra. Or of Woedica. And especially a Priest of Rymrgand for that matter! :rage:

Now, we can only hope that some skilled modders out there will be up for the task of fleshing the playable deity choices out..
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    It's too early to trust reviews too much at the moment, there's still too much emotion. many people will have a marmite reaction when the game first comes out, the better, more critical reviews come out a little while after release. That being said I think the game is fantastic.
  • SpaceSpace Member Posts: 71
    Why did they have to make the game so difficult! It's common to find groups of enemies you have no hope of defeating and combat is very quick with party members falling in the first few second of combat.

The chanter isn't very useful because he has to chant 3 verses before he can use any of his spells and the fight is usually over before he has access to his spells.
    Good discussion. @wubble Big reviewers get the review version of the game weeks before release so I don't see why they wouldn't be as reliable as later reviews. Speaking of reviews, here are a few:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/27/pillars-of-eternity-review

9.0 - Amazing "Pillars of Eternity is one of the best RPGs since Baldur's Gate."
    + Excellent storytelling
    + Challenging combat
    + Detailed world
    + Diverse classes
    - Dated art style

http://www.pcgamer.com/pillars-of-eternity-review/

92 - A deep, rich, and wonderfully written RPG that lives up to the towering legacy of the games that inspired it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/13681-Pillars-of-Eternity-Review

5/5 - While Pillars of Eternity is certainly banking on a nostalgic fan base, it's still an excellent RPG in its own right. It's a game rich with player agency, giving you tons of control to craft your story or explore different solutions to the presented problems. You know, actual roleplaying not simply a game with a leveling and stat system stapled on.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-26-pillars-of-eternity-review

4/5 - "In keeping so close to the Baldur's Gate/Infinity Engine template, Pillars of Eternity can't help but inherit a few old flaws, and it would have been nice to see a bit more personality of its own shine through its carefully traditional design and shell. That said, what most stands out is just how well it manages to modernise the experience of playing those games and stand apart from them as an epic adventure in its own right. It's an RPG with design firmly rooted in nostalgia, but one that absolutely doesn't rely on it to be enjoyable today. Instead, it's both a great reminder of why those games worked so well, and a brand new adventure well worth the hours upon hours (upon hours upon hours) that it takes to pick away at its secrets and its world."

http://www.destructoid.com/review-pillars-of-eternity-289590.phtml

8.5/10 - Great: Impressive efforts with a few noticeable problems holding it back. Won't astound everyone, but is worth your time and cash.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/pillars-of-eternity/pillars-of-eternity-review

10/10 - "Obsidian had a daunting task before them: to make a spiritual successor to a series of games that are inextricably tangled up in nostalgia, over a decade after the height of those games’ popularity. This is not the Baldur’s Gate of 2015, it’s Baldur’s Gate, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, the best parts of the lot of them wrapped up in something new and brilliant. And before you venture forth, don’t forget to gather your party."

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/03/26/pillars-of-eternity-review/2/

"It’s a triumph. A wonderful, enormous and spellbinding RPG, gloriously created in the image of BioWare’s Infinity classics, but distinctly its own. A classic in every sense."

Please feel free to add more reviews.

Obviously, if you're not a believer yet like @wubble, reading the reviews with lower scores will probably give you a better idea about the weak points of this game than the 10/10 ones. I can say with quite some certainty no matter what your doubt is, this game is worth your money.
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    I got it recently as well and so far I like what I'm seeing. The combat took me a while to get used to but for the most part it's enjoyable. I rolled a human (Ocean Folk) Vailian fighter, and my party is made up of Aloth, Eder (who may just be my favorite companion), Durance and Kana. Currently in Caed Nua and about to talk to Maerwald.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    I've gone with a human ranger, and I've currently got Eder, Aloth and Durance. I've also hired a couple of player generated mercenaries. I made a Vailian paladin (since I'm finding some of the fights in the temple quite difficult with only one fighter type (I refuse to use the WoW terms!! :p )), and I made an elf rogue, since I can't seem to find any NPC rogues about. I'm playing on hard as well.

Overall, I'm enjoying the game! It's very Baldur's Gate, but it feels a bit more gritty, and a bit more real (despite the magic obviously). Some of the people I've met feel a lot like I imagine medieval peasants and lords to be. I like the combat/damage system, as it allows you to absorb a few more hits than in D&D, but still makes you feel the affects of attrition (which is something I've really missed in modern RPGs where all health and mana regenerates).
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    Ciphers are ridiculously good.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Some early game advice:

- The merchant in the starter camp gives you really good prices for the stuff you sell. More than it's worth generally. So replace your gear if you dislike it. You can also sell any loot you come across for some good money. The store disappears once you pick up the water skin.

- Remember how it was a bad idea engaging bears on your own at level 1 in Baldur's Gate? It's still a bad idea.

- The first town you get to lets you create additional party members at the inn.

- There are two RPCs in this town, one of them is an elven wizard.

- Pillars of Eternity does not have any rogue RPCs. If you want a rogue in your party, you will have to create one yourself. That said, you do not actually need a rogue either as any class can take the Mechanics (lockpicking/traps) skill as well as Stealth.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2015
    Plus you can always take a background that gives a +1 bonus to mechanics or stealth (but not both).
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    first part can be very hard but once you have 4 guys in your team, most of the fights are easy. Dont forget that quests give more xp than fights.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    The difficulty curve in this game is not a curve, but rather a right angle, it's like hitting a brick wall. At one point you obliterate things like mosquitoes, then BAM you can't win a single encounter without ripping chunks of hair out of your head, and the fact that there are no hotkeys at all only makes it worse because one of your hands is never occupied.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    wubble said:

This game is super duper hard! I went straight for the abandoned temple, only to get destroyed by every stupid ghost. hard to "kite things"... they jet right after you so fast. Still, really fun game. I just need a stupid tank to soak up damage (until the stupid ghosts teleport)

@booinyoureyes rest at the in and then talk to people, one of the first companions won't join until then and they're a tank.
    Hey @wubble that's exactly what I did, and he is super helpful... but it still sucks when the ghosts teleport haha. Tough dungeon for me. I'm a rapier-wielding paladin with Aloth and Eder (just added Durance as well). My party is finally coming together though, and I'm starting to survive more. Usually I only have one person standing at the end of an encounter haha, but now everyone pulls through. If only I had more time to play!
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I think the best comparison is Baldur's Gate 1 (so far... I've only been to the first town and surrounding forests areas!
    -it is difficult in the beginning if you take a wrong turn (a lot of "farm above the Friendly Arm's Inn type areas)
    -exploration! You can go places without direction!
    -you don't automatically get put in a city with a thousand joinable NPCs, they kind of come one by one for you
    -it is hard early, period, even if you avoid some tougher fights. It really feels like someone's "first adventure"

The only part I don't like is the portraits and the voice-acting is a bit meh... I miss having Gorion or Hrothgar or Irenicus to open a game with their epic voices, instead of "random grumpy caravan master who dies two seconds later" (Gorion does too, but at least he is important to your character! and has an awesome voice and a badass death)