Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity MEGATHREAD (caution: SPOILERS)

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    The way even the side quests unfold is actually superb storytelling, but very subtle. Without giving too much away, there is a abandoned temple in the first real village that serves as your first dungeon excursion. The door to the second level CAN be unlocked with high enough skills, but you likely won't meet them when you are ready to enter. So instead the key to gaining entrance to the second level is revealed through the notes and memories of a former young acolyte. Nothing points you in that direction, you have to look through the items you looted and your quest journal. And in doing so even opening a door becomes a victory. It is actually very reminiscent of the early dungeon with the Shade Lord in BG2. I've ran into familiar (but still unique) quests like this that deliberately pay homage to one of the classic isometric RPGs at least half a dozen times already.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Can anyone gimme some help with wizard spells? kinda a struggle. I need to protect Aloth more, he gets owned constantly.

The most powerful attack spell so far has been Fake Burning Hands, but it hurts party member, right? Other than that Fake Magic Missiles isn't as good as the D&D alternative, but I do like Fake Grease the most, especially if you have some nice heavy hitters. These small areas of effect make it hard to aim though!

Can anyone gimme some help with wizard spells? kinda a struggle. I need to protect Aloth more, he gets owned constantly.

The most powerful attack spell so far has been Fake Burning Hands, but it hurts party member, right? Other than that Fake Magic Missiles isn't as good as the D&D alternative, but I do like Fake Grease the most, especially if you have some nice heavy hitters. These small areas of effect make it hard to aim though!

The red area is the only one that causes damage (assuming you don't have expert mode turned on). Fine tuning the placing a little bit can spare your tank or party members if it is dropped in the right place. AoE placement seems huge in this game, and it seems one of the main reasons Expert Mode is called that is because you lose the color coordination of where the safe spots are.

• SpaceSpace Member Posts: 71
    Camping supplies are a real problem I don't think the feature should have been included in the game. Limited rests just adds more difficulty to an already very difficult game.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915

The red area is the only one that causes damage (assuming you don't have expert mode turned on). Fine tuning the placing a little bit can spare your tank or party members if it is dropped in the right place. AoE placement seems huge in this game, and it seems one of the main reasons Expert Mode is called that is because you lose the color coordination of where the safe spots are.

It also takes some guess work if the mobs are moving. I've been parking my tank and aim the aoe near him hoping the monsters will end up in that vicinity by the time the spell actually casts.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Is PoE playable and enjoyable using mouse only point-and-click? I really don't want to add any more games to my library that require the keyboard to play.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

I like Fetid Caress. Its a level 2 spell though but its good if you want to paralyze a particularly annoying mage.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2015
    Space said:

Camping supplies are a real problem I don't think the feature should have been included in the game. Limited rests just adds more difficulty to an already very difficult game.

Enemies don't respawn, so all it really does is add to the amount of time it takes to get rested again. Especially since resting in the common room of the Black Hound (as well as your stronghold) is free.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

Is PoE playable and enjoyable using mouse only point-and-click? I really don't want to add any more games to my library that require the keyboard to play.

It's quite possible to play with mouse only (though you'll need keyboard for character creation obviously) but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Being able to pause quick can be vital and clicking the "clock" in the interface may not be fast enough. Though you could always just bind the pause key to a mouse button if you have one spare I suppose.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Yeah, it's like BG as far as playing with just a mouse. You'll be using the keyboard to pause quite a bit, unless you set it to autopause all the time and you can hotkey things although I haven't even bothered so far.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

I started playing today and, until now, I only used the keyboard to pause, quickly access my inventory and saving.
    edited March 2015
    Space said:

I don't know about this. One of my favorite things about the game so far is that it takes things that were either useless (rooms at the inn, food, drink) or gave the ability to enter every fight with a full spell book (unlimited resting) and makes them instill either tangible benefits or actual strategy. The fact that the progressively harder modes offer even more restrictions is going to offer even more replay value, which is something any isometric fan probably wants in spades.

The games isn't always going to be as difficult as it is now (and I agree that it is). Eventually everyone will get used to the fights, spells and combat system and the challenge will be welcome down the road.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    edited March 2015
    Dunno if y'all know about this bug

http://kotaku.com/pillars-of-eternity-characters-crippled-by-ridiculous-i-1694367618

It's not a huge deal and by the looks of it they are going to come out with a patch later this week that will resolve it plus some other tweaks.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Pillars-Eternity-Bug-Causing-Serious-Problems-70984.html
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    @bengoshi Just wait till your chanter gets the next level of chanter spells, then you can summon wurms!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Silverstar and @mlnevese , thank you. I do in fact have two programmable mouse buttons to use on my trackball mouse. While playing Baldur's Gate, I keep space for pause on one and Q for quicksave on the other. It sounds like playing PoE will be a similar control situation. Mostly point and click, with lots of pausing.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    OK, seeing two discussions about the same topic, I decided to separate them in principle and changed this thread's title.

Now when the game is out, use this thread for discussing anything WITH SPOILERS. If you don't want any spoilers, use another thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4792/pillars-of-eternity-no-spoilers
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    I'm at the stronghold with 3 different party's. Barbarian, Rogue, and my Chanter. I'm starting out as a Wizard or Fighter next.

By the way, I hope the patch is coming soon- Many ppl are complaining about the game-breaking bugs. I guess I've been lucky... If anyone is interested, the topic is here, on Obsidians site:
    http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73757-list-of-bugs-that-everyone-should-know-about-game-breaking/page-2