Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    And there is a trail of nymph chunks that Cookies left on the map, plus a huge pile where Poppy banished them in the front of the Adventurer's Mart. Here's the trail superimposed on the map.

That's the Cookie Monster for you.
    kcwiseGoturalJuliusBorisovlolien
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    The tactics mod looks horribly cheesy ... I might need to try it sooner or later, do you know if it is somehow compatible with the EEs @semiticgod ? Do you have a new plan to deal with Kuroisan if he comes back ?
    And are they other fights like this one with some nearly invincible opponent ?
    Great progress so far !
    JuliusBorisovsemiticgoddesskcwiselolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Blackraven The trap in the Neb's house makes massive acid damage (50-75 in the Core settings) and holds the person disarming it.

This has reminded me your own advice from the Druid thread: "Hmm broader pictures are no doubt very interesting, but yours is a no-reload run remember? Please be careful, think about Charname
    s fans. They don't want to see him dying on them..."
    Goturalkcwiselolien
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @bengoshi, you're right :( I really want to try again with a Cleric/Illusionist, but I'm afraid that if I don't mess up with some battle, a trap will mean game over. I don't know very well what the effects of most traps are... (and I find it a bit immersion-breaking to buff with Stoneskins, MI, MSD etc each time I'm facing a trap).
    How do you do it with Yahiko? Do you do 'trap research' on each area before you take Yahiko there?
    JuliusBorisovkcwiselolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Prior to getting the Shield of Archons I checked (basing on my memory) which traps are on a location and where. Death Ward, Ironskins and Chaotic Commands were constantly on Yahiko and helped against 90% of dangers. Only petrification was a problem but I know only one petrification trap in the Copper's Coronet dungeon and that can be avoided by a bridge to the south.

But as soon as Yahiko got that spell, he didn't need any "meta-knowledge" of traps any more. The spell lasts long enough and when it's over Yahiko prefers to rest.

I imagine that Yahiko wants to survive in the first place, so he tries to be always protected from the majority of nasty effects. I don't find it immersion-breaking. Instead, I find it natural. My character is opposed by a whole world and he should at least use all his immunities to survive.
    GoturalBlackravenkcwiselolien
    bengoshi said:

I imagine that Yahiko wants to survive in the first place, so he tries to be always protected from the majority of nasty effects. I don't find it immersion-breaking. Instead, I find it natural. My character is opposed by a whole world and he should at least use all his immunities to survive.

I struggle a bit with buffing because the player (not the character) knows that a trap is near. However having your character doing everything he can to survive makes a lot of sense. I think I'll have my next Cleric/Illusionist use the Priest spell Find Traps a lot, i.e. always in dungeons or areas where hostilities are to be expected.

bengoshi said:

I struggle a bit with buffing because the player (not the character) knows that a trap is near.
    The thing is, my character is always under the effect of the Shield of Archons, so it's not connected to reaching the certain place/container/encounter and so on - it lasts long enough (Death Ward and Chaotic Commands last even longer, Ironskins is active for 12 hours).
    Blackravenkcwiselolien
    bengoshi said:

The thing is, my character is always under the effect of the Shield of Archons,

Ok that's a very good solution. Though it must have meant an awful lot of resting at the lower levels (when it didn't last long and when you didn't have many lvl 7 slots). :p
    Anyway I have the same in mind for my Cleric/Illusionist, or at least always having Find Traps active once she has a couple of casts of that spell. (Especially in BG2, where traps are just terrible).
    JuliusBorisovkcwise
  • ArnaeusArnaeus Member Posts: 90
    @Gotural How are you finding Vynd as a companion, I've installed him but not picked him up yet. Does he fit well with the feel of the base game?

My current setup allows humans to multiclass and every race to dual class. I'm very tempted to give Vynd the int tome and dual him to a wizard as a homage to Proesis, the first playthrough I read on these forums.
    Goturalkcwiselolien
    edited April 2015
    @Arnaeus To be honest he is quite the best NPC I have ever seen. He has a lot of banters and interjections with everyone, EE or non-EE characters, he's funny and witty. He is very well balanced because single class Thieves aren't too overpowered which compensates the fact he is a Drow.
    I'm also playing with BG1 NPC Project and I think he has more dialogues than any other characters.

I was also tempted to dual him, Assassin dualed to Mage is such a fun and powerful combo. But he is my only Thief so I need him to stay single class for the utility. I'm happy you read about Proesis, it was a fun playthrought !
    ArnaeuskcwiseJuliusBorisovlolien
    edited April 2015
    @Gotural thanks for the feedback, sounds like I definitely need to give him a shot. Also from what you're saying if I dual him to a mage he'll be ridiculous lol... I'm probably going to do it anyway :D
    GoturalkcwiseJuliusBorisovlolien
    Gotural said:

@Arnaeus To be honest he is quite the best NPC I have ever seen. He has a lot of banters and interjections with everyone, EE or non-EE characters, he's funny and witty. He is very well balanced because single class Thieves aren't too overpowered which compensates the fact he is a Drow.
    I'm also playing with BG1 NPC Project and I think he has more dialogues than any other characters.

I was also tempted to dual him, Assassin dualed to Mage is such a fun and powerful combo. But he is my only Thief so I need him to stay single class for the utility. I'm happy you read about Proesis, it was a fun playthrought !

I think when you reach BG2, you can try a new mod assassin NPC, Alexia, by @CoM_Solaufein :

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/40896/alexia-an-npc-assassin-mod#latest

She's been in the works since 2008 (!) and this mod gives you assassination quests!
    Goturalkcwiselolien
    I'm afraid she isn't going to be powerful enough for the no reload run. Anselm has no reason to keep someone he doesn't consider strong enough in his party.
    @Gotural do you have a BG2 party planned? You can almost take your party as is into BG2 I guess

@blackraven just saw the new character, looking forward to it
    kcwiselolien
    @Arnaeus I'm probably going to play with Korgan, Dorn, Edwin, Viconia and Hexxat. Hexxat is going to be keepered into a Shadowdancer/Mage or an Assassin/Mage. Viconia into a Fighter dualled into Priest like in my BG1 game.
    JuliusBorisovBlackravenkcwise