Skip to content

Sirines

What gives with Sirines? Silence 15' radius doesn't stop their song, so their dire charms generally wreck me. Magic missile doesn't disrupt them, neither do fireballs, skull traps and other dastardly attacks. Invisibility, I can deal with; my tanks going dire on me is a lot harder. Only Minsc's berserk state keeps me from critical failure against them.

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    A Potion of Clarity will block charm. Berserkers and Barbarians are also immune when raging. And you can always reload until you make the right saves, if you have the patience.

Sirines are known to be one of the most dangerous enemies in BG1. We've all been there.
    bleusteelDexter
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Choose your best melee fighter and cast invisibility on him either via spell or potion.
    Keep everyone else back and sneak up on the sirine or group of sirines. Engage them in melee combat with the invisible tank. They'll attempt to charm. If the tank does get charmed, they will stop attacking since no other target is in range. Wait for the spell to wear off and repeat the process.
    Each sirine usually has two charm attempts, after that, they attack. Once they start trying to kiss your tank, move everyone else in for the take down.
    dunbar
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    That sounds like it would work; I guess I was looking for a counter to the ability. I mean, Minsc, invisible and with rage definitely works, but I don't even have to invisi-him for that.

Evil, meet my sword. Sword, meet evil!!!
    Try casting deafness on your tank.
    Never tried, may or maynot work.
    reedmilfamdunbarNonnahswriter
    Clever! :smile:
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    edited April 2015
    Scroll of magic protection works too.

Elves are also highly charm resistant
    semiticgoddessjoluv
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited April 2015
    If the charm effect works like the spell, improved invisibility and minor spell deflections may work.
    Potion of invulnerability gives +5 to saves, potion of stone form adds +3, with the two, a dwarf fighter like Kagain will success at most saves.
    Potion of magic protection adds %50 mr, gulp two and have %100
    Potion of magic protection makes your saves succesful
    Protection from poison scroll will make you immune to their poison arrows
    Potion of clarity protects from all mind effects, including charm and confusion
    Animate dead some sleletons they are immune to charm and poison and resistant to arrow damage
    Summon some low lvl critters via monster summoning and let sirines waste their spells on them
    semiticgoddessJuliusBorisovDexter
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    I believe Cavilers are immune to charm spells, but I could be wrong. Though I just killed six sirens using my Caviler in the party. Ether their immune to charm or she just had some serious lucky saves.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited April 2015
    Lots of arrows, bolts and bullets.
    Sirines have low base HP and a volley of assorted missiles from 6 party members with normally instagib one.
    So kill one, then split attacks on the others, to disrupt their casting.
    That or just aggro them with a undead summon, then hack them up while they waste their spells.
    Never forget vanilla bg AI is really really dumb.
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    Potion of explosions/ fireball. Teach them for standing so close together.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

A Potion of Clarity will block charm. Berserkers and Barbarians are also immune when raging.

I'd like to mention that although Barbarian's rage protects you against Charm, it won't protect you from getting Feeblemind that the Sirens' melee attacks imply.

Feeblemind means a gameover for a solo character.

So, everyone who fights with the Sirens should think not only about Charm but also about Feeblemind.
    GodGoturalsemiticgoddessDexter
    edited April 2015
    bengoshi said:

A Potion of Clarity will block charm. Berserkers and Barbarians are also immune when raging.

I'd like to mention that although Barbarian's rage protects you against Charm, it won't protect you from getting Feeblemind that the Sirens' melee attacks imply.

Feeblemind means a gameover for a solo character.

So, everyone who fights with the Sirens should think not only about Charm but also about Feeblemind.
    This. Take sirens at range, because arrows of biting are better than doing a slow death in a stupefied state.

As per my last post, napalm the bitches!
    JuliusBorisov
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I don't even bother with any form of magical protection. I just clear the area of Carrion Crawlers, Hobgoblins etc., park the rest of my party off somewhere safe to have a picnic, and send my tank in. As long as my tank has enough HP to take all the damage from the Sirens' arrows he can stand there all day until the charms wear off and then wade in for the massacre.
    If your tank becomes stupified he will be unable to attack whilst the sirines slowly kill him.
    Sounds like sticking with Minsc in Berserk status is way to go. Sirines seem to withstand fireballs pretty well...

Sounds like sticking with Minsc in Berserk status is way to go. Sirines seem to withstand fireballs pretty well...

Vic's natural magic resist works well too.
    deltago said:

Vic's natural magic resist works well too.

Agreed. She just is so light in the HP arena, and missile weapons hit frequently, that I'm reluctant.
    Iirc beserk does not resist stupify touches.
    They don't seem to hit him enough for that to matter.
    Sirines will hit -2, -3 ac reasonably consistently. I don't know what point they start to miss more often but if you've reached that point in the game then sure you'll find them easy.

Wait wasn't it you who started a topic along how better to kill these wenches?!

@jesterdesu - Killing them is not the problem. The dire charm is the only issue that I have with them; otherwise, they're only moderately difficult, if that. Glitterdust makes the invisibility irrelevant, and I didn't even know about the stupefy, which tells me that it isn't that effective.
    Or perhaps you need a brain for it to take effect and Minsc is simply too dense to be bothered.

That stupify is my biggest issue with them.
    reedmilfamlunarJuliusBorisov