Skip to content

Druids, arcane and divine spells, bard songs in SoD. What would you like: BG or IWDEE style?

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
We all know that many things word differently in IWDEE than they do in BG1&2EE.

The best examples are additional spells for both divine and arcane spellcasters in IWDEE, vanilla bard songs and druids' abilities.

Siege of Dragonspear will cover something that is between BG1 and BG2. In the same time, Beamdog are working on enhancing the UI. Maybe - just maybe - they will add some kind of IWDification to the BG-setup in SoD.

What is your opinion on this?
  1. Druids, arcane and divine spells, bard songs in SoD. What would you like: BG or IWDEE style?128 votes
    1. Let it stay in the Adventure Y as it is in BG
      22.66%
    2. Bring new spells, bard songs, druids' abilities to the Adventure Y from IWDEE
      34.38%
    3. Mix it all
        4.69%
    4. Mix it as a step into getting the same behavior in BG1&2EE, IWDEE and the Adventure Y
      23.44%
    5. Go even further: create new, previously unseen/untried things
      10.94%
    6. I'm a gazebo, SO...
        3.91%
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
lunarSmilingSword

Comments

• GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Why not replace Draw Upon Holy Might with Draw Upon Assorted Rodents?
    A swarm, no, a horde of ferrets, squirrels, rats, rabbits and other small fluffy things with big pointy teeth. Imagine how useful this would be against enemy spellcasters!
    Flashburnjesterdesu
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited April 2015
    As much as I like the IWD druid spells and IWD bard songs, for continuities' sake it's best if Adventure Y sticks to what Charname and his party used in BG1 and will use in BG2.

As for the option of IWDfication of all BG games, I have to think about that. I would like to see more Bard songs, but I'm not sure about the other spells.

BTW, I have yet to play IWD:EE, but I find the thought of going through IWD with all BG spells horrendous actually. I've heard the AI of the enemies isn't adjusted to it, so BG2 spells make IWD a walkover is my fear. And if the AI of the enemies makes proper use of IWD spells, it breaks down the atmosphere of what IWD is like.

Sorry, went off-topic there, but my main point: let BG stay BG and let IWD stay IWD.
    JuliusBorisovBlackraven
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

BTW, I have yet to play IWD:EE, but I find the thought of going through IWD with all BG spells horrendous actually. I've heard the AI of the enemies isn't adjusted to it, so BG2 spells make IWD a walkover is my fear. And if the AI of the enemies makes proper use of IWD spells, it breaks down the atmosphere of what IWD is like.

Sorry, went off-topic there, but my main point: let BG stay BG and let IWD stay IWD.

It seems that the conservative option is the most popular in this poll so far. Quite understandable taking into account we're talking about a continuation of BG.

As for IWDEE, you can always don't use BG spells/kits there if you don't want to, @Son_of_Imoen but IWDEE is a good game, you should try it nonetheless.
    joluv
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Mix all the things!
    JuliusBorisovDungeonnooblolien
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    jackjack
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I'd like new things not necessarily spells/abilities but on the other hand consistency is very important. If changes or additions are made they should at least become available in bg2ee.
    procco
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    I want there to be different bard songs >_>
    I dislike the standard "morale boost" of the generic bard. Makes me always choose a kit. A dual wielding spellsword, a playful arcane trickster, and a warrior poet are so much cooler than the standard. However, a guy who draws upon ancient songs and stories infused with the magic of words is actually kind of cool.
    JuliusBorisov
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Make a spell called :cookie: rain, and I will OWN that sh!t!
    JuliusBorisov
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    The rules should be consistent across the games to simplify patches, new content and mods. Take the best parts of both rule sets and then start on AI upgrades and other measures to keep the games challenging and engaging.

(Ipad player here).
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisovGrammarsaladswit
    It would be cool if they had a toggle thing for like "IWD:EE style" or "BG:EE style" in the options.
    JuliusBorisovswitGotural
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    @wowo
    i wholeheartedly agree that rules should be 100% unified. but i also think that that simply means porting everything to iwd:ee rules because they're simply better in every respect (starting with smaller webs, magical projectiles' bonus damage, sensible ranger/clerics to meaningful bard songs and powerful grandmastery that would at least partially balance multiclass hla-mutants with some other options). maybe there's an odd exception in favour of bg rules that i can't remember right now but it's bound to be related to some higher level spells and nothing crucial.
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisovDragonspear
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    edited May 2015
    For consistency, I'd say keep it the same across all the BG games. It would be weird to suddenly have a whole bunch of different spells available that would then go away if BGII doesn't adopt the IWD spell sets. Besides, IWD takes place many years before BG. It would make sense that spells sets would change over the intervening generations.
    That said, I do much prefer the IWD druid spells and the bard songs are obviously superior. Probably OP in the BG's.
    JuliusBorisov
    regarding consistency, no one said you'd be playing as the bhaalspawn in this game, only that the story is chronologically set between bg1&2.
    so consistency for import/export reasons wouldn't really apply in that case.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    edited May 2015
    I think it's been pretty well established that you'll be importing your charname from BGI into adventure Y. Read the first post of:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/40963/the-adventure-y-swords-not-words-only-facts#latest
    JuliusBorisovJediMindTrix
    oh i missed that, sry
    proccoJuliusBorisov
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    bob_veng said:

@wowo
    i wholeheartedly agree that rules should be 100% unified. but i also think that that simply means porting everything to iwd:ee rules because they're simply better in every respect (starting with smaller webs, magical projectiles' bonus damage, sensible ranger/clerics to meaningful bard songs and powerful grandmastery that would at least partially balance multiclass hla-mutants with some other options). maybe there's an odd exception in favour of bg rules that i can't remember right now but it's bound to be related to some higher level spells and nothing crucial.

Grandmastery is better in BG, a whole extra attack for the 5th pip is OP unless it's balanced with the pnp restrictions that don't exist in BG.
    [Deleted User]
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited May 2015
    WHAT? ONLY two gazebos on the forum? Come on! Reveal yourselves!
    Vallmyr
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    @bengoshi‌ you'll never take me alive!
    Grum
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    bengoshi said:

Nobody ever reveals themselves after they are told to reveal themselves. Where would the drama be in that? :p
    Dungeonnooblolien
    elminster said:

bengoshi said:

Nobody ever reveals themselves after they are told to reveal themselves. Where would the drama be in that? :p
    If I were a Gazebo I would flaunt myself everywhere and make sure people were jealous of my Gazebo-ness.
    DungeonnoobJuliusBorisovelminster
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Not only would this be a big improvement to the game
    But I also believe it would increase sales
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Vallmyr said:

elminster said:

bengoshi said:

If I were a Gazebo I would flaunt myself everywhere and make sure people were jealous of my Gazebo-ness.
    But, gazebos usually just hide in the darkness, sizing up their prey.
    elminsterlolien
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    This is the kind of change I would prefer to be completely optional..So no I don't want it implemented at all.

I have this nagging doubt since I've seen so many people mention it lately though, that it might happen sooner or later...Sigh if it happens it happens I guess..:\
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Druids could really use the IWD spells. More animal summons! I like the varied bard songs, although the Jedi War Song is *way* OP. IWD2 nerfed it to work in combat only - interesting idea.
    JuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

although the Jedi War Song is *way* OP

Yea I'd admit I'm reusing this one :)
    NonnahswriterJuliusBorisovlolien
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    g15gu
    DragonspearDragonKinglolien
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Wowo said:

The rules should be consistent across the games to simplify patches, new content and mods. Take the best parts of both rule sets and then start on AI upgrades and other measures to keep the games challenging and engaging.

(Ipad player here).

This comment moves me