Skip to content

Fallout 4, not The Elder Scrolls VI, to be presented at E3 2015

13»

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Awesome and refreshing policy to work in silence and then announce games less than six months prior to release imo, compared to building hype for two years or more.
    mlnevesethe_spyderJuliusBorisov
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    Promising?
    ah yes you can play sim city in a vault and a pipboy iphone app :frowning:
    and I barely saw the difference between doom and fallout. Where is the rpg part ?

Glad to know InXile may do something with Van Buren.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I've decided I hate all 1st person games.
    Musigny[Deleted User]
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I skipped through the presentation a bit, so I might have missed something, but what I saw is: - much attention to what the world looks like, - much attention paid to make things customizable: build your own weapons, build your own house, - first person shooter-like gamelike, with much attention paid to guns blazing and enemies dying, but what about the roleplay, the story?

Isn't Fallout a roleplaying game anymore? Has Bethesda even talked about what the game, it's plot and the role of it's main character is about, instead of just what they look like? What did I miss?
    FardragonMusigny[Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    As I have done with all Bethesda games... I'll buy it when the Game of the Year Edition with all the DLCs is on sale...
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790

Isn't Fallout a roleplaying game anymore? Has Bethesda even talked about what the game, it's plot and the role of it's main character is about, instead of just what they look like? What did I miss?

It's Bethesda. I'm in no whay all-knowing, but as I stated before, Bethesda doesn't understand the source material that is Fallout franchise. It's silly to expect them to deliver quality rpg in Fallout universe.
    Musigny[Deleted User]
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    For me personally, I've never needed an abundance of heavy handed mechanics to make a role play experience. So long as I have freedom to play my character and that I have decisions which actually allow me to alter the course of the adventure, I am quite happy to call it an RPG. Okay it is a bit more than that, but so far as I am concerned, both the Elder Scrolls and the Fallout games that Bethesda have put out allow me to wander around and kick up trouble.

And considering that games like Mario now claim to have "RPG like elements", I think that any game that allows you to basically be your own character (even if that is merely a few minor tweaks of skills and a lot of cosmetic variability) gets points in my book.

I am not going to judge Fallout 4 until it comes out. So far I like what I've seen though.
    wubble
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027

I skipped through the presentation a bit, so I might have missed something

You missed something important. Let me fill the gap: no chainsaw in the Fallout 4 demo... :naughty:
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Okay, so I have 5 months to upgrade the computer at the house, not only for this game but also for the wife's Witcher 3 fix.

As far as the RPG aspect is concerned, they specifically didn't discuss the storyline or plot elements at all. I don't mind this because I don't want any spoilers.
    mlnevesethe_spyder
    Fallout 4 plot leaked:

"You wander around in the desert, occasionally shooting mutants and robots. You will occasionally bump into random people who will send you on pointless errands in remote corners of the map. You will be joined in your travels by a dog, which will trail around after you contributing nothing in combat, until it falls of the edge of a cliff and dies".
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited June 2015
    O_Bruce said:

It's Bethesda. I'm in no whay all-knowing, but as I stated before, Bethesda doesn't understand the source material that is Fallout franchise. It's silly to expect them to deliver quality rpg in Fallout universe.
    I disagree. I've played Fallout 3 and my character had an interesting background, providing me the means to give her a personality. What she did and the choices she made had an impact on people's live in the Wasteland while at the same the Wasteland felt like a place alive with people who all had their own purposes which sometimes and sometimes not collide. I don't know what the trailers of Fallout 3 where like, but knowing the game it could have been a trailer that involves hints of an interesting story without being too spoilerish. The same I would've expected from this announcement.

Disclaimer: Fallout 3 is the only Fallout game I've played so far, I haven't come round to playing Fallout 1 and 2 yet (my interest in the first 2 games was peaked by their Bethesda-made successor, but I haven't yet finished FO3).

the_spyder
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    welp... this game has managed to take the spot as my second ever collector's edition purchase. having a real life pip boy was simply the greatest gimick I've ever seen lol

and with that said, you know I was impressed by what I've seen. it looks fantastic from what they showed at E3, and hopefully I'll finish MGS in 2 months so I can play this when it releases :) I won't be sad if I don't, however, as we know Bethesda launches tend to be buggy messes...

Disclaimer: Fallout 3 is the only Fallout game I've played so far, I haven't come round to playing Fallout 1 and 2 yet.

If you had, you would understand what O_Bruce was saying.

Fallout 3 about as much claim to be a sequel to Fallout 1 and 2 as Skyrim has to being a sequel to Baldur's Gate 1 and 2.
    Son_of_ImoenMusignyJuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Shin said:

Awesome and refreshing policy to work in silence and then announce games less than six months prior to release imo, compared to building hype for two years or more.

Wait, did you just mention Mass Effect 4?
    Shin
    Fardragon said:

Disclaimer: Fallout 3 is the only Fallout game I've played so far, I haven't come round to playing Fallout 1 and 2 yet.

Fallout 3 about as much claim to be a sequel to Fallout 1 and 2 as Skyrim has to being a sequel to Baldur's Gate 1 and 2.
    I read something the other day that I thought was very appropriate.

"Don't assume that your experience is EVERYONE'S experience."

wubble
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

Fardragon said:

Unless you're reading the baldur's gate books.
    mlnevese[Deleted User]the_spyder
    wubble said:

Fardragon said:

Books? :wink:
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    mlnevese
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Once F4 is released you won't be seeing me in a while. Not that I've been around much lately.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    I really want to be exited for this, but it's Bethesda. So I'm kinda expecting a broken husk of a game, with 10 voice actors in total, a sub-par plot, unmemorable characters and glitches from here to Skyrim. All of this will of course be housed in a huge amazing sandbox, with hopefully some new and interesting features. I'm gonna play the vanilla when it comes out and then play the real game once modders have had a year or 3 to fix all of Bethesda's inevitable horrible bugs, unbalanced perk system and poor design choices.
    Musignymlnevese

I really want to be exited for this, but it's Bethesda. So I'm kinda expecting a broken husk of a game, with 10 voice actors in total, a sub-par plot, unmemorable characters and glitches from here to Skyrim. All of this will of course be housed in a huge amazing sandbox, with hopefully some new and interesting features. I'm gonna play the vanilla when it comes out and then play the real game once modders have had a year or 3 to fix all of Bethesda's inevitable horrible bugs, unbalanced perk system and poor design choices.

That's one of the reasons I'll buy it when the Game of the Year with all DLC is out and on sale... it's more or less the amount of time needed for the community patches to mature.
    edited June 2015
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

I'm gonna play the vanilla when it comes out and then play the real game once modders have had a year or 3 to fix all of Bethesda's inevitable horrible bugs, unbalanced perk system and poor design choices.

A game isn't real until modders get hold of it? *shrug* I have looked at Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas mods and, truthfully, I am not impressed. New weapons which are just existing weapons with new skins, companions with broken dialog files or misspellings in the text? Meh. If, on the other hand, you think the game will be too frustrating then don't buy it at all until you are pretty sure that you and/or your favorite modders have fixed things which you feel to be problematic. No one can please all the people all the time. You are setting yourself up to have a poor experience with Fallout 4 by expecting it to be full of horrible bugs and poor design choices.

Just like with the EE games, I typically cannot bring myself to download and install other people's mods. The only exception to this self-imposed rule was Auril's Bane for IWD--that mod was well-made and definitely worth it.

My advice here is the same I typically give to people who like to trash-talk movies or books or comic books or TV shows: if your ideas are so great then why aren't you designing video games, or writing books, or writing/drawing comic books, or producing/directing TV shows?
    wubble said:

Fardragon said:

Wait, did you READ both (were there more?) of them?
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

wubble said:

Fardragon said:

There were three.
    the_spyder
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

wubble said:

Fardragon said:

No I read what happened on the internet after hearing how bad they were.