Skip to content

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Elrandir, I got the Witcher 3 free with my Titan X. Runs like a dream.

Also, screenshot from Morrowind so as not to be off-topic. I haven't changed the settings from what they were when I was using my GTX690, so that'll probably be the next thing on my to-do list. Having said that, being 32-bit and typical of Bethesda, it can probably only take a maximum or 2.5GB RAM—which means further changes will probably make the game highly unstable. As it currently is, though, I'm getting 60 frame per second; using a Levitate spell, I can see almost all of Vvardenfell in any direction.
    ElrandirJuliusBorisovStormvesselTeflon
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    I can't wait to mod it. I'll probably play a bit without mods first, as I've never done any modding before, but I have a lot of nifty games that are very mod-able. (TES 3, 4, and 5, as well as Fallout 3 and NV. Couple others are probably mod-friendly as well.) I've spent a little under a hundred bucks on the steam summer sale so far and I have twenty-something games, all of which are highly rated and all of which come with all their DLC. Morrowind's still what I'm most excited about, though. That should say something. =p
    Troodon80JuliusBorisovStormvessel
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Ah Morrowind is an absolute classic! With some of the mods available for that you can get it looking pretty damn sweet too. Still shows it's age but it's A LOT better then it was. :) Fallout is pretty damn epic too, especially going back to the older titles. Feels a lot like Arcanum in a post apocalyptic world.

StormvesselTroodon80semiticgoddess
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    And, of course, my contribution to this topic just wouldn't be complete without a screenshot in (16:10) Ultra HD.
    ElrandirStormvesselJuliusBorisov
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I enjoy a lot of the silly things you can do in Morrowind, mainly running extremely fast, and jumping extremely high and far. There are ways you can jump across the entire map in a single leap without cheating if you know what you're doing.

I did not like how the NPCs somehow know way more about you than they should be able to. Every faction member knows exactly what factions you are in, even if you aren't famous (for example, if you're a member of House Telvanni, the people in the Mages' Guild dislike you, even though they shouldn't have any way of knowing that you're part of the house). If you are a vampire, everyone you meet knows that you're a vampire. If you have an item that someone dislikes, such as the Moon-and-Star ring, they can tell that you have it, even if it's unequipped.
    StormvesselJuliusBorisov
    Apparently it's a blood moon tomorrow night, so watch out for Hircine, people.
    Troodon80VallmyrJuliusBorisov
  • SvarSvar Member Posts: 157
    I used to play the hell out of Morrowind! It's probably my favourite of the Elder Scrolls games for the sheer fact that it's all about the Dunmer. Well, that and it was the first Elder Scrolls game I played, so there's that nostalgia factor. My main character was a Dunmer Nightblade and I really explored the faction politics with her. She was a member of House Hlaalu and the Mages Guild, so I spent a lot of time screwing over House Telvanni, which was hilarious, because they're so uptight. Despite that, though, I sort of roleplayed the character as a reformer, who went around freeing slaves and covertly weeding out corruption. Even though there isn't an alignment system in TES, I considered her a chaotic good character.

Comparing with the other TES games, one thing I really enjoy about Morrowind is how different it is. It isn't about humans, it's about the dark elves, and so it's an alien world. You don't find normal food stuffs or creatures practically anywhere. There are no horses, no chickens, no cabbages or wheels of cheese. Instead, there are guar and kwama, and ash yams and saltrice. Instead of getting ambushed by wolves at every turn in the wild, you're accosted by cliffracers practically everywhere you go. I find all of those differences fascinating, because I'm the sort of person who likes to analyze fictional cultures.
    KamigoroshiElrandirJuliusBorisovsemiticgoddess
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756

I've been playing Morrowind a lot lately with a new character. Usually I go with some kind of mage, but this time I wanted to try something different, i.e. a khajiit assassin (a custom class, not the default one):

I'm playing with several mods suited to this particular character, but I would like to mention at least two of those, Vegtabill's Threads of the Webspinner and Suran Underworld, because I never had a chance to try them before and I'm really enjoying them.
    KamigoroshiBelgarathMTHStormvesselJuliusBorisov
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Just logged into my Tumblr account, only to find this Tamriel Rebuild interview:

Tamriel Rebuilt - Open Chat with Zaric Zhakaron

Hello everyone!

We recently managed to sit down for a couple of hours and have a nice chat with podcaster Zaric Zhakaron. Zaric is a wonderful person who has dedicated alot of time podcasting and reviewing games, TES in particular. His videos often offer insightful commentary on many aspects of the TES multiverse, and we were honoured when he approached us to do an interview.

It was a very fun and engaging chat, that runs well over 2 hours. We discuss a multitude of topics in the video including:

- Our thoughts on good game design.
    - Our thoughts on TES and Morrowind.
    - Our creative vision and process.
    - The ongoing project restructure.
    - Our position on changing vanilla content in the future.
    - Our plans for House Dres
    - A tease as to what’s to come in the next few months.
    - Mushrooms, cliff racers, broken microphones, and so much more!

We hope you enjoy the interview! If you love TES and/or Morrowind, be sure to send his channel some love!
    DAAAAAAAMMMNNN

I wub it~ :kissing_closed_eyes:
    Stormvessel
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    Morrowind is in my assumed perpetual eternal play-through cycle... Be this every year, or a few years - no matter.

The single player-sandbox is not even my naturally preferred RPG - but where my favored party based BioWare title tells a story, Morrowind tells a world.

The race and faction interactions, the richness of the religious beliefs and imperial vs native vs slave relations... I do tend to prefer to play a human, so I mostly choose Imperial - but I am at awe how much harder choosing an enslaved race (khajit, argonian) could be!

I perso think loving Morrowind is most reasonable.

But unfortunately so is assuming that this will the best Bethesda TES title ever. Obsidian - soulless, but with some game mechanics intact. Skyrim - MMO soulless. I find, at least.
    ElrandirStormvessel
    @TStael A game I've been absolutely loving recently that has some of the most incredible and immaculate world building I've ever seen is Guild Wars 2. It seems preposterous that an MMO could have such a brilliant world, but it's honestly the closest I've seen anything come to Morrowind in terms of intricate and detailed world building. If you like MMOs it's an excellent one to check out. (and free to play)
    TStael
    Elrandir wrote: »
    @TStael A game I've been absolutely loving recently that has some of the most incredible and immaculate world building I've ever seen is Guild Wars 2.

Thx Elandir - appreciate the recommendation! I will see at least what is said about this title. Hesitant of MMOs, actually, I am, but when a game has a very loyal and impassioned following, it is the best testimonial for me.

For example, I had to eventually bite the bullet (ooh, bit of a pun here, accidental!) with Mass Effect when the trilogy had a good deal on it, even if I game-play-wise I am certainly not into shooters! Plus I do not naturally immerse with the space theme either. Fans just love the series that much.

I admit I had to drop the difficulty to casual then and again, but to my shock I would now also classify myself a Mass Effect fan, only one that is a bit weak on the shooter bit, lol.

Morrowind is a tall order for comparison, but since you do know that, clearly - it's impressive recommendation. :-)
    Elrandir
    Ps. If it were possible to edit my post, I'd simply correct the spelling of yer moniker. Elrandir. (smiley checking to and fro to avoid repeating the typo here). No can do, so let me just say sorry for my sloppiness! Not frantic about spelling in general, but to notice having addressed a person wrong is embarrassing...
    Elrandir
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited June 2016
    Vallmyr said:

I really want to play Morrowind but I can never choose on a race/class/backstory >_>

@Vallmyr,

maybe you can play as a bard.

Vanilla bard is not that great, but this mod has just been released.

Anyway, now I know what I will play next :)
    VallmyrElrandir
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Erg said:

Vallmyr said:

I really want to play Morrowind but I can never choose on a race/class/backstory >_>

@Vallmyr,

THIS LOOKS AMAZING
    <3
    Thanks for the link! Even has the Dirgesinger!
    Erg
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    If you haven't yet seen It-He Software's "walkthrough" of Morrowind, you should; it's hilarious. It's called "The Adventures of Cat-Dude" and you can find it here:

http://www.it-he.org/
    Ayiekie
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    So, is Battlespire a good game?
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Erg said:

Vallmyr said:

@Vallmyr,

So I actually completed my first Morrowind playthrough with the bard mod. It is a lot of fun, probably the only game I've played where I actually feel like a wandering minstrel. Going from town to town, playing for room, drink, and a bed. Even had a lute on my back and powerful spellsongs.
    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage I haven't personally played it, but I hear it's... aged. Some people still like it a lot, but like Arena, it hasn't aged well. That said, it came out after Daggerfall, and I think Daggerfall is a super fun game, so maybe Battlespire's better than I've heard.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Does Morrowind work on Windsows 10?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Yes. But OpenMW works even better. Better engine and all.
    I know, I know, thread necromancy is bad. But I just wanted to say that if anyone wants to hang out and chat about their love for this game again, I'm going to be doing a casual stream of it today. Not self-promotion, I just like to chat about cool stuff. if anyone is interested. I'll be getting on in about 15 minutes and I'll probably play for 2-4 hours.
    WarChiefZeke
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    This is my Morrowind character so far. Still have to tackle the DLCs.

When your hand to hand gets high enough almost nothing can withstand a few punches without getting stunlocked. You can keep multiple enemies down pretty easily this way.

I have been messing around with an argonian as well, this time pumping strength and acrobatics instead of HtH.

vjcn0s9z2uzy.jpg
    Elrandirsemiticgoddess
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    This is my Morrowind character so far. Still have to tackle the DLCs.

When your hand to hand gets high enough almost nothing can withstand a few punches without getting stunlocked. You can keep multiple enemies down pretty easily this way.

I have been messing around with an argonian as well, this time pumping strength and acrobatics instead of HtH.

vjcn0s9z2uzy.jpg

Have you ever tried Rebirth??
    WarChiefZeke
    No, what is it? I am using a few mods.
    Hand-to-Hand is so vastly underestimated. Sure it's weak early on, but by endgame you are pummeling foes at an absurd rate.
    WarChiefZekesemiticgoddess
    edited May 2020
    No, what is it? I am using a few mods.

This is a good primer, keeping in mind he has continued to expand the project multiple times a year since this was written:

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-morrowind-rebirth-mod-is-the-ultimate-enhanced-vanilla-experience/

It's on par in scope with something like Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, only it doesn't have as much to "fix" with the core mechanics, so just adds to them in a more subtle way.
    WarChiefZeke
    edited May 2020
    It's not every day a mod gets an entire article written on it. I'm definitely going to check it out, since an expansion of the existing towns and cities is something I don't have.

One mod I can highly recommend is Tamriel Rebuilt. It aims to add the Morrowind mainland into the base game, and still gets updates into the current day.

Many cities are basically finished, and very high quality. Running around doing quests in Old Ebonheart was a refreshing change of pace to a familiar game, and it feels like it fits right in. The dev teams clearly knows their stuff when it comes to Morrowind, it's mechanics and lore.
    jjstraka34
    It's not every day a mod gets an entire article written on it. I'm definitely going to check it out, since an expansion of the existing towns and cities is something I don't have.

One mod I can highly recommend is Tamriel Rebuilt. It aims to add the Morrowind mainland into the base game, and still gets updates into the current day.

Many cities are basically finished, and very high quality. Running around doing quests in Old Ebonheart was a refreshing change of pace to a familiar game, and it feels like it fits right in. The dev teams clearly knows their stuff when it comes to Morrowind, it's mechanics and lore.

Yeah, that one is insanely ambitious. The original intent of the game was to have the entire Province of Morrowind in the game, but they had to cut it down to just Vvardenfell. The only problem with Tamriel Rebuilt (like most of the most ambitious Elder Scolls mods) is that I don't anticipate any of them actually being completed until 2030.
    Kamigoroshi