Skip to content

Now when the weapon transfer is available, what would your choice be?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2014
    Shikao said:

To those who are complaining about how Bala's Axe renders wizard slayers "obsolete," here's an idea. How about giving the axe to your wizard slayer for double spell failure?

Or give it to non-WS and be able to disable two mages at the same time!
    Give it to an inquisitor and watch enemy mages weep. :p

(Obviously this wouldn't be a very efficient approach though)
  • osarsiphosarsiph Member Posts: 4
    No Stupefier option?
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    osarsiph said:

No Stupefier option?

I think it only effects items from the original release. Stupefier was added in the EE, so it doesn't count.
  • VherdelVherdel Member Posts: 40
    What? The short sword of backstabbing: the shadows blade +3 is not an option?
    My assassin is thoroughly dissapointed if so.
    Loved to dual wield the grave binder and shadows blade in bg1.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    I find your lack of Balduran's butterknife disturbing.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited April 2015
    Why is the Short sword of Backstabbing not an option? :-(
    My Assassin wrote home to his mother about that sword!
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I think the Short Sword of Backstabbing isn't an option because it's already in BG2. Of course, so are several of the others, but I think maybe the SSB is supposed to be unique?
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited April 2015
    I would vote for either the 2H Sword+3 or one of Drizzt's Cemetery. I mean, the AC cemetery can be useful through all BG2, and the cold cemetery is a good weapon as well.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    Oh Yeah the Varscona+2! Are you ready Amm to feel my cold blade of Justice!
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited April 2015
    I'd vote on Dagger of Venom, but it's not in the poll.

Edit: Hehe, just noticed this is a case of rather epic thread necromancy by @Vherdel :smiley:
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    edited April 2015
    Does anyone know how the determination is actually made for new characters? Does proficiency take precedence, or class?

Edit: Voted for Burning Earth as I like to go Troll hunting early on in BG2.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    abacus: I would say proficiency takes precedence. I recently rolled an archer and spent proficiencies in sling, and I got the +3 sling.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    edited April 2015
    I assume it's also based on what you have in your inventory. In the interests of gathering more data, @Arunsun, do you remember if you were carrying any other weapons on the list?

EDIT: Was thinking of importing, but it sounds like you rolled a new character entirely. Sorry about that.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited April 2015
    If you're importing and have more than one of the importable items, the top-most item from this list will be the one you get. From the 1.3 release notes:

Imported Weapons Item Name

The Burning Earth +1 Ashideena +2
    Bala’s Axe, Wizard Slayer
    Suryris’s Blade +2
    The Grave Binder +2
    Staff Spear +2
    Staff Mace +2
    Sling +3
    Varscona +2
    Krotan’s Skullcrusher +2
    Kiel’s Morning Star
    Conversely, if you're not importing, or if your imported character has none of those weapons, a weapon will be selected for you based on either your class or your proficiencies. There's a hierarchy if you have more than one, but off the top of my head I don't recall what it is. (I would guess it's the same as for importing, but don't take my word for it).
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    It's a pity Spider's Bane isn't among the importable weapons. It's my favourite weapon of BG1. But then there's already some very good two-handed swords to be had in Shadows of Amn. But it might make for a nice Landsknecht-style party: Keldorn with Carsomyr, Minsc with Lilarcor, give Haer'Dalis proficiency in two-handed sword and have him equip the Sword of Chaos and Charname becomes a Fighter-Mage wielding a genie-given Spider-Bane. Complete the party with support of Jan Jansen with some Bruiser Mates and have Anomen or Aerie do the healing and you're ready to rock and roll, bash some skulls, play knight in shiny armour or any other meme that befits four massive two-handers advancing on the enemy.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704

It's a pity Spider's Bane isn't among the importable weapons. It's my favourite weapon of BG1. But then there's already some very good two-handed swords to be had in Shadows of Amn. But it might make for a nice Landsknecht-style party: Keldorn with Carsomyr, Minsc with Lilarcor, give Haer'Dalis proficiency in two-handed sword and have him equip the Sword of Chaos and Charname becomes a Fighter-Mage wielding a genie-given Spider-Bane. Complete the party with support of Jan Jansen with some Bruiser Mates and have Anomen or Aerie do the healing and you're ready to rock and roll, bash some skulls, play knight in shiny armour or any other meme that befits four massive two-handers advancing on the enemy.

I believe it was meant to be an core BG2 item in the past. Unfinished Busines ressurect this unfinished quest that involves Pai'na, whom i will not specify for the sake of not make spoilers. It make a quest with this character and give a way to finish it with a second solution.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    While having the whole Kiel Spring Catalog Collection is very fashionable, and killing regenerating creatures is important...

f@$# wizards
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    My druid imported longtooth. I was very charmed by that because I did not know they changed the rules.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    (Resurrecting because @bengoshi recently drew attention to this thread from another thread.)

There are a couple of other widely-useful choices, but I've got to go with Burning Earth because +4 enchantment (and +4 to hit and damage against undead) is very good (and very rare!) in the early stages of the game.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    Personally I'd like The World's Edge. The +3 2hSword from Durlag's tower. Mainly because of the cool glowing effect it's got on it.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806

Hull's Longsword

Hey you Amnish's cityguards, look what a real Candlekeep fighter wields!
  • James_MJames_M Member Posts: 140
    Sling +3, would be used for a relatively long time, e.g. Aerie, or Jaheira at the beginning stages
  • SciobthaSciobtha Member Posts: 54
    Gotta love Bala and his penchant for taking powerful mage invocations and jamming them up their arse for a unique spell "fizzle" :D
  • AramintaiAramintai Member Posts: 232
    edited July 2015
    Weapons are transient things, all I want back is my Cloak of Balduran! (I'm sick of EEKeeper-ing it into the game all the time)
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    Err, it's kind of late to point this out but Ashideena already exists in BGII. I don't know if you want to skip doubling magical items. I assume you would? Since it kind of doesn't make any sense.

The Ashideena is HAMM08 in vanilla BG2, you can find it in Rift area of Athkatla Sewers. There is also HAMM03 for sale at Ribald's which is functionally identical to Ashideena, but it's just called "Warhammer +2".
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @blackchimes When you import your character, the weapon you receive is moved from its original location to the starting dungeon. So if Ashideena is your imported weapon, the place where you'd normally find it gets a standard +2 Warhammer instead.

So there's no duplication of items. :)
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    Surprised by the attention to detail yet again!