Skip to content

Where would you want the Forgotten Realm game to be? (Also my argument for why Thay is Perfect)

As we well know Neera's, Edwin's stories all tie into Red Wizards of Thay him being one, and her escaping them. My argument for why Thay be perfect is two-fold, one it been set up just as well as Neverwinter was with all the references to the places in Icewind Dale and later Neverwinter. Two, we already know the Red Wizards are immensely powerful organization who machinations few know and could imagine. We could easily go down the route of Neera story being wild mage, perhaps they crack it and are able to utilize chaos or perhaps with problems on Sword Coast they start causing problems in Thay.

Another reason we have had most biomes, snowy tundras and temperate areas even more hotter climes, but not actual desert places and Thay would be massively intriguing since different Sword Coast and Athlakata we know Red Wizards are both political and powerful, who knows perhaps they even hire the hero or heroine, perhaps they could be the ones in danger from even greater power.

Now for details I found on this site:

http://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/thay/index.shtml

Best known for the crimson-robed Red Wizards who rule the land with an iron fist; Thay is a realm shrouded in mystery. Few outsiders have traveled extensively within its borders unless abducted and sold into a short life of slavery there: The Thayans who do talk about their homeland speak of it with such pride as to make most listeners doubt their amazing claims - were it not for the fact that these same rumors surface again and again from a dozen different sources.

The Thayans have endeavored constantly to expand their borders since they won their independence from Mulhorand in 922 DR. In fact, it was only twelve years after that momentous date that the Thayans launched their first invasion of Rashemen. The Thayans have been beaten back numerous times from both Aglarond and Rashemen, but though their armies failed to subjugate these realms, they still brought the Alaor, the Priador, the Sur and Umber vales, and the cities of the Wizards' Reach under Thay's control.

The borders of Thay have changed little since the conquest of the Wizards' Reach fifteen years ago. The Red Wizards keep their armies at home these days, while their merchants have spread throughout the lands of the Inner Sea, selling valuable magic items in well protected concessions and Thayan enclaves. Rivers of gold, goods, and slaves pour into the zulkirs' coffers from this expansion of Thayan trade. Szass Tam and his colleagues have come to understand that gold can conquer lands that resist swords and spells, and Thay's monopoly on the manufacture and sale of magic items might be the weapon that brings the Red Wizards dominion over all Faerûn.
thay.jpg 228.2K
ForgottenMythJuliusBorisov

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Let's see... I already saw Thay within the Mask of the Betrayer expanion pack of NwN2. Wasn't that impressed by this location to be honest.

If give a choice, I'd be more in favour of Unther and Mulhorand. Both great Old Empires with most interesting history to them and completely untouched by any of the previous AD&D/D&D cRPG's. Then again, there are many other regions which tickle my fancy as well; The Sea of Moving Ice, the Great Glacier, and the Hordelands are but a few I'd love to be able to visit in an Forgotten Realms cRPG.
  • Rulke55Rulke55 Member Posts: 32
    Kami how much did Neverwinter show Thay, that's one of the few not played.
  • ForgottenMythForgottenMyth Member Posts: 60
    There was a magic school on Thaymount in Mask of the Betrayer, so just the exterior around the school (a barren wasteland like area) and the interior. To be honest that was my favorite part of the expansion and i would love to see a game take place in that region. More Rashemen aswell!!
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Be great to see a campaign centered in the Anauroch desert, considering I enjoyed the plot in Shadows of Undrentide.
    Kamigoroshi
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    My personal choice would be Calmshan
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Chult.

There is enough tie ins with Amn and the Flaming Fist having strongholds there. It is close to califlower and it has dinosaurs. DINOSAURS! That should be enough
    Amber_Scott
    deltago, my argument for Thay is we had so many hints of it in the games. I don't think heard of Chult being mentioned in games, then again I never played Forgotten Realms ones...
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited July 2015
    A nation or country where there are actually dark skinned human s. Lmao...

I couldn't resist, sorry :disappointed::disappointed::disappointed:
    Where is Dynahair from lore wise?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    deltago said:

Chult.

There is enough tie ins with Amn and the Flaming Fist having strongholds there. It is close to califlower and it has dinosaurs. DINOSAURS! That should be enough

I think NWN2 Storm of Zehir covered there at least in part already.
    Rulke55 said:

Rashemen. Same as Minsc.
    Ah, well how would that be for a setting?
    It got covered quite a bit I think in Mask of the Betrayer as well.

Anyways I would like to see something like Dambrath covered. With maybe the possibility (given this would be happening in 5th edition) of visiting the remnants of Halruaa.
    How do I find lore for Fifth Edition? Also Elminister how does Thay sound location wise?
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Rulke55 said:

To my understanding her and Minsc portriata didn't accurately dispay what they would look like culturally.
    edited July 2015
    (Note the following is my personal opinion and should not be construed as being the official opinion of Beamdog)

There is a series of books called the Sundering that cover what is so far known about the lore of 5th edition. But there is also the players handbook and dungeon master's guide for 5th edition and they would cover some of the lore as well. But the cheapest way to learn would be to look up the sundering and the forgotten realms wiki.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Sundering_(event)

and basically just poke around there and read up on a lot of stuff.

Personally I think doing something in Thay comes with a lot of lore to have to follow. I'd rather see a game set in an area otherwise poorly covered by existing lore.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    NwN2's Storm of Zehir takes place in Chult (partially) and you get to fight dinosaurs. Also your Druids/Rangers can have Dinosaur companions (no Dino Wild Shape unfortunately.)

NwN2's Mask of the Betrayer takes place in Rashemen/Thay (could be wrong on the latter) and you have a Red Wizard as a companion.

Also, could we just get away from Faerun? There are other continents in the Realms and would love a Kara-tur game.

We have games in the Realms, Sword Coast (BG, NWN), Icewind Dale, Rashemen (MotB), Chult (SoZ), Waterdeep (part of NwN1 Hordes of the Underdark), Planescape, Greyhawk (Temple of Elemental Evil) etc.

Yet none in Kara-tur. And there's always some NPC that references Kara-tur in many DnD games (Yoshimo, Tamoko etc).
    JuliusBorisov
    Considering how much we saw of Sword Coast between a game, expansion pack. Then Amn. Expansion packs while detailed don't really go heavily into areas. I would prefer Thay being done like Sword Coast, or one of those other places. Not just one loose area in that place. Like if we go to Thay, we explore it all, or Chult or Rashemen.

Also Edwin was also a Red Wizard companion, it's not that I care about, it's the actual location being utlized.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Rulke55 said:

Considering how much we saw of Sword Coast between a game, expansion pack. Then Amn. Expansion packs while detailed don't really go heavily into areas. I would prefer Thay being done like Sword Coast, or one of those other places. Not just one loose area in that place. Like if we go to Thay, we explore it all, or Chult or Rashemen.

Also Edwin was also a Red Wizard companion, it's not that I care about, it's the actual location being utlized.

What is it about Thay that really interests you? Do you think a game would be able to depict the more controversial side of Thay like brutality, slavery and subjugation while still being a commercial success?
    The Red Wizards really fascinate me as a group. And if Thay really is that brutal and such, that only appeals to me more. Remember Amn was not exactly a kind place. If I remember rightly those who practiced magic without a permit were punished.
  • AramintaiAramintai Member Posts: 232
    I want a game located in far eastern lands - in Kara-Tur, for example, or in Zakhara (where that good old game Al-Quadim: Genie's Curse took place). I want true oriental adventure.
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    edited July 2015
    Wowo said:

Do you think a game would be able to depict the more controversial side of Thay like brutality, slavery and subjugation while still being a commercial success?

Grimdark is in now. Just look at the Witcher games, where you can't save a peasant without him turning out to be a mass murderer. Millions of sales.

Spec Ops: The Line made you kill American soldiers and critics loved it. Papers, Please had nothing going for it but its dire setting and critics loved it.

They even turned goddamn Wolfenstein - a game about Nazis on the Moon - into some kind of emo story. And guess what critics had to say about it...
    Surprised no one mentioned this... considering it was Baldur's Gate 3 in Development, the location chosen was.

The game was set to take place in the fictional Forgotten Realms continent of Faerûn. It would have taken in the Dalelands and allowed players to travel mostly in the area of Archendale. Players would have also been able to travel to key areas in Archendale such as the White Ford, the Church of Lathander and bases of the Red Wizards of Thay. Other areas in the Dalelands featured would have been Battledale, Deepingdale as well as an area of North Sembia. Though it is possible that Baldur's Gate would have appeared in the game as well in a cameo appearance, this remains unconfirmed and highly unlikely.
    Moradin
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Thay is a good choice
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Keeping to the post-Gold Box era, we've seen Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter, Waterdeep, Luskan, Icewind Dale, the Anauroch Desert, the Underdark, Rashemen, Thay and Chult.

Rather than retread old ground, I'd like to see something like Kara-Tur or Maztica, places that were never featured in D&D games.
    KamigoroshiJuliusBorisov
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    A small correction: while Storm of Zehir indeed featured the Chultan Peninsula, it did not actually take place within the country of Chult. It was the neighbour country of Samarach that we could visit.

Personally, I'm all for a game which mostly takes place outside of Faerûn. Be it Anchorome, Maztica, Katashaka, Zakhara, or Kara-Tur. Personally, I feel that the almost unknown continent of Osse has so much untapped potential as a setting. Beamdog could easily further develope its history without fearing of contradicting the scarce source material on that place, for example.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    A zhent themed adventure would be pretty cool, somewhere in the lands surrounding Zhentil Keep
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Kara-Tur. Soo desu ne?
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    As a self avowed lover of both the Purple Dragon Knights and the War Wizards, I would love a game in Cormyr.

Heck, almost every "good" aligned IWD party I run, I give affiliation towards Cormyr for them.