Skip to content

Should Imoens sudden transition from Thief to Mage be explained in SoD?

13»

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Fardragon said:

I think that was a two page magazine advert.

Imoen retains the abilities of a 7th level thief, as well as a mage, which is more than enough to hang from ropes, throw daggers, and use hair dye.

But apparently not enough to sew buttons on her shirt.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

Fardragon said:

Imoen retains the abilities of a 7th level thief, as well as a mage, which is more than enough to hang from ropes, throw daggers, and use hair dye.

She'd need a few levels in seamstress for that skill.

• ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    Nimran said:

Fardragon said:

I'm still not convinced that this is actually Imoen...
    Imoen has pink hair not brown hair!
    (though i have to admit, I think brown hair would suit her better =) )
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Arcanis said:

Nimran said:

Fardragon said:

I'm still not convinced that this is actually Imoen...
    Imoen has pink hair not brown hair!
    (though i have to admit, I think brown hair would suit her better =) )
    Yeh, in truth, it's probably just a Shadow Thief. Either that, or the artist didn't get the memo about her hair color.
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    ..Btw who is the women on the Balcony?
    ..The longer I look at the picture the more I wonder..
    What does the artwork actualyl have to do with SoA?

The outfit would make more sense for Safana, there is no real rope climbing in the game.
    The only balcony I remember is in the bridge district and the is no women with long, dark brown hair
    in the game.. also, there are no skirts in it either. @_@
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    Print advertising.
    Btw what's Imoen's hair color in BG1 ? continuity... continuity...
    There is also one with Irenicus but I don't know where it is stored on my computers.
  • ValamirCleaverValamirCleaver Member Posts: 184
    Musigny said:

There is also one with Irenicus but I don't know where it is stored on my computers.

Is this the one of which you're thinking?...
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    Very likely. Not 100% sure.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I don't know why people have such a hang up over hair colour. People have been dying their hair for thousands of years. Imoen could be a natural blonde and few would know.

I also think some people have a problem with any "sister" wearing revealing clothing.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Dee said:

Too bad she already dual-classed to Mage, eh?

Eh??

First we got "Hmmmmmmmmmm"

And now "Eh"

I think it shows something is in the works.

Ehhhhmmmmmmm!
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Fardragon said:

I also think some people have a problem with any "sister" wearing revealing clothing.

If that were a male thief, he'd be dressed from head to toe in black, possibly with a mask or something covering his face. He wouldn't be dangling there, showing off his pecs and abs. But since it's a female thief, she has to have a blouse with cleavage down past her navel. Because... breasts.
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197
    Koliva said:

The deeper issue is that BG2 made certain choices canon. Imoen isn't the only one:
    * The PC didn't side with Edwin and kill Dynaheir.
    * Viconia was saved.
    * Regardless of his alignment, the PC supposedly spent most of his time with Imoen, Minsc, Dynaheir, Khalid and Jaheira.

Actually, none of these things are "canon." IIRC, when you first meet Edwin, if you sided with Minsc and saved Dynaheir, you actually mention to him "Hey, weren't you dead?" I *believe* that the rest of your choices in BG1 are also preserved via flags, but I could be very, very wrong about this.

Honestly, these aren't "deeper issues" at all, especially given these games are pushing 20 years old. In fact their origins lie in a "deeper issue" that the devs faced when they sat down to make a sequel to Baldur's Gate: namely, that they wanted to have deeper and more meaningful storylines with the NPCs, but the sheer number of recruitable characters in BG1 meant that some of them necessarily had to be cut. I've never actually had a problem with the presentation of the characters in BG2; finding some of the latent anger in this thread is a little surprising to me. :)
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    she understood she'll be no match for yoshimo.
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    I can't think of a single plot related flag imported into BG2, except maybe killing Drizzt. Even that, I think, is set only if you have Drizzit's swords on you when you import your character.

Most, if not nearly all conversations with characters who would've been affected by BG1 choices, such as Edwin, had several different conversation options that reflected those possible choices. So if you killed him in Baldur's Gate, you could say 'Hey, weren't you dead?'... you could say that to a lot of returning characters.

The developers chose popular characters to cross-over into the sequel. At the time, dual-classing Imoen to Conjurer was very common, thus, the developers carried this over too. Saving Viconia was also a common player choice, and she was a popular character. Many people played with Jaheira and Khalid the entire game, and thus they were brought into the sequel.

Canonized choices are not something to get salty over. I appreciate how player choice in recent games is more frequently remembered and carried through sequels and affects their narrative, but in my experience the games that don't bother trying to account for all possible outcomes in the ever multiplying branches of narrative end up possessing deeper and more compelling storylines.

This is why even after all these years, I still find Baldur's Gate 2 and Knights of the Old Republic 2 to be better than, say Mass Effect 2, or Dragon Age: Inquisition, games which I both love immensely. The amount of resources that go into expanding their scope as such has left them feeling a little thin to me when compared to behemoths that don't try and voice every line and canonize an endings like BG.
    Arcanis said:

..Btw who is the women on the Balcony?
    ..The longer I look at the picture the more I wonder..
    What does the artwork actualyl have to do with SoA?

Could it be Valen? She does appear in daylight once, or at least, can, so I don't think she was always a vampire. Contrastingly Bodhi will always appear at night.