Skip to content

First video game you ever played (or the earliest you can remember playing)

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
edited August 2015 in Off-Topic
Just curious what the oldest games people remember playing are.

For me its Hugo's House of Horrors. I know its not the first video game I played, but its the only one whose name I remember :)
Post edited by elminster on
[Deleted User]kcwiseJuliusBorisov[Deleted User]

Comments

• ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Dizzy series - same as El, it's the oldest games with a name to it, not the one I played :)
    elminsterJuliusBorisov
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    The first games I vaguely remember playing were Pitfall! and some racing game on an Atari 2600 console. My first RPG however was Ultima V on the Comodore Amiga 500. I've played it to death at that time. The only soundtrack available for this game on that platform has been burned into my mind forever.
    kcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    We had a pong game when I was in about 3rd grade so guess that would count. Yes I'm old.lol If we are talking computer games then I think it would be the original Bards Tale on my beloved Commodore 64
    kcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    elminsterJuliusBorisov
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    I played a lot of Zelda and punch-out as a tiny kid.
    JuliusBorisov
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    Probably Quake. Unless we want to count Minesweeper or something.
    TeflonJuliusBorisov
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    The first Super Mario for me. That little fat plumber can jump.
    elminsterJuliusBorisov
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Well, it isn't the first game I ever played, but the first real Adventure Video game that I played was called ADVENTURE. I remember playing that for hours and hours and finally unlocking the secret room. I played on the earliest consoles, so games like pong and that sort of thing were probably my first games.
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
    I remember playing it at a friend of my father's. I was just derping putting the master sword in the stone and then out, in then out, in then out. . .
    I thought the cutscene was so hype.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Tank Battle and Pac-man on the Atari.
    elminsterTeflonJuliusBorisov
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    I feel young.. the earliest game I played was some sort of blockout on novell dos..
    The oldest game I remember by name (I forgot most games names - but then again I was 7 =P)
    was the last Warcraft title, Warcraft 2 (I *think* I played it on win 3.11 and not on win 95 though).
    elminsterVallmyrJuliusBorisovlolien
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Pong.
    Yes I'm old, but I had the Pong console back in the '70s.
    I was a child, so I have no idea which console it was, the only thing I remember is that you coukd play six (I think) pong style games (more if you pull more than one level at a time, mixing the games).
    Teflonkcwise[Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    Atari Battlezone
    But the one I truly remember is Descent and Doom.
    TeflonelminsterkcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Pokemon Stadium for the N64.

Before that, I played a bunch of lame-o kiddie point-and-click games, like Pajama Sam, Freddy Fish, and Putt-Putt. XD I was a PC gamer long before my days of Baldur's Gate!
    NimranelminsterJuliusBorisov
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Spider-Man on the Atari 2600 for me.

Earliest cRPGs I remember playing are Daggerfall and Ultima VIII: Pagan. Without those I might have never given BG a second look back in 1998.
    JuliusBorisov
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited August 2015
    Star Trek (the one where you had to enter the bearing and range for the photon torpedoes to destroy asterisk klingons) on Commodore Pet.

Around 1980.
    elminsterkcwise[Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    I remember going to library in elementary school and playing Oregon Trail on the computers they had in the back. The first game I owned was Sonic 2 on the game gear. The first game I became obsessed with was Myst.
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisovTeflon
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Loom. It was beautiful.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

I still remember that Day of the Tentacle marked my days when I had barely six or seven years under the belt.
    VallmyrJuliusBorisovTeflon
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Baldur's gate, it's a great game when you're learning to read. It doesn't matter that I never got past nashkell. Idf I did get out of the mines (which was rare) i stopped playing shortly after being slaughtered by the amazons.
    kcwiseJuliusBorisovTeflon
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    If we're talking about at the arcade, it would be Pong, Space Invaders, PacMan, and Donkey Kong for me. Pinball machines for years before that.

If we're talking home consoles, I guess it's Pong on the Magnavox Odyssey system from the 1970's.

I got an Atari 2600 when I was in 10th grade. The only games I remember that I had on it were Space Invaders, PacMan, Centipede, Missile Command, and Yar's Revenge. Except for Yar's Revenge, those were all arcade adaptations.

For most of my childhood, there was no such thing as video games. I'm that old.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited August 2015
    Pong on a cassette (yes, insert cassette into player, plug player into cumbersome computer, plug computer into television and play!), then some sort of deep space trader/pirate game on a stiffy disc, I can't remember the name but it was quite popular at the time (Jurassic).
    And who can forget Space Invaders in the pub?
    kcwiseJuliusBorisovTeflonBelgarathMTH
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I have vague memories of my dad holding me up so I could play pac man and donkey kong in an arcade. I also recall playing frogger on one of his PCs.

The game that really sticks out in my memory is King's Quest 2. Like for @wubble with BG, that was the game that taught me to read, spell and put together crude sentences, like "look in log." Somehow at 5 years old, I was able to boot up the computer, put in the floppy and type kq2.exe. The new one that just came out is actually really good, but it plays more like Dragon's Lair than the old King's Quest games.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]JuliusBorisovTeflon
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I didn't realize its even out yet :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    edited August 2015
    Ooh, this is going back a long way...we're talking one of the old Apple computers from the 1980s, with a monochrome green monitor and 5" floppy disks (you know, the ones that were actually floppy - yeah, I'm showing my age now!! :p ) and the first game I ever played was...probably Choplifter.
    elminsterJuliusBorisov
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    The first arcade game I can really remember playing was a Star Wars game in the arcades. You could sit in a cockpit and shoot at little wire frame tie fighters. I was a kid and not particularly good at it, but it was really fun.

My first home console game was a bowling game on my grandfather's Intellivision. It was actually a lot of fun.

When I got my first computer, a Commodore 64, it came with a couple of cartridges Kickman and Pacman. They were both fun. I still remember spending an entire day with my dad typing in a game called Potholes from a magazine (those were the days, game code to type in for fun!), and then losing it because we didn't have any way to save anything at the time. I got really good at typing that game in though. :)
    elminsterJuliusBorisovTeflonthe_spyder
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Vallmyrcmk24JuliusBorisovkcwise
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457

Vallmyr said:

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
    I remember playing it at a friend of my father's. I was just derping putting the master sword in the stone and then out, in then out, in then out. . .
    I thought the cutscene was so hype.

It was _very_ cool. :) That game world -- the plains -- will never leave my heart.
    I can actually credit that moment for my infinite love of Fantasy. It was my first introduction to that sort of Sword and Sorcery type of setting. I became obsessed with Swords soon afterwords and would pretend I was Link going on adventures with this tree limb as my sword. I lived next to a heavily wooded area and beyond that was this huge clearing of sand. It was like a forest then desert zone. Was a great area to roleplay with as a child. Hell, I've never larped but I'm sure it would be a great area to larp at.