Skip to content

Hello everyone! I have never played a BG game in my life!

I bought BG2 EE at EB games and having a great time playing Chapter 5 but I am thinking about stopping BG2EE for BG1EE, I feel I don't have any experience to move on, also I like to free roam a bit not get stuck in a dragon crawl without knowing what the spells and roll-playing mean, My party is getting hit very fast, My protagonist keeps dying very quickly He's a Wizard Slayer, any advice for a novice about moving on or start from scratch, thanks guys.
NimranWilburlolien

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited August 2015
    Welcome to the forums and have fun.

Basically I agree with everything @bengoshi said. D&D may be hard for those who have never played it and do not know the rules.

It would be a good idea to take some time to read the manuals. They are very important as a way to learn the rules. Also feel free to ask anything in the forum. There's always someone willing to help :)
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    JuliusBorisovCrytek7Nimranlolien
  • laptopman666laptopman666 Member Posts: 283
    mlnevese said:

Welcome to the forums and have fun.

Basically I agree with everything @bengoshi said. D&D may be hard for those who have never played it and do not know the rules.

It would be a good idea to take some time to read the manuals. They are very important as a way to learn the rules. Also feel three to ask anything in the forum. There's always someone willing to help :)

Im always willing to help people in the warrior department, I mean come on, you're lookin at a REAL warrior here :P also, feel free to point heavy metal questions to me or @metalloman
    JuliusBorisovmlneveselolien
  • Crytek7Crytek7 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks Guys for the insight, I just bought BGEE last night and I'm liking it, it's slow and open world like, just the way I like it, I have been playing The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind for the past decade and was looking for a similar world but with the D&D style, I think I missed a great series but I'm glad I am older now, I can understand the terminology a bit more, Cheers..
    mlneveseNimranJuliusBorisovlolien
    bengoshi said:

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Also, welcome to the BG world. It would be a natural way of things if you try BGEE first. Starting from lvl 1, getting acquainted with the story itself will help you to understand everything better.

If you're unfamiliar with D&D and/or Infinity Engine games, it may be hard to jump right into magic-heavy BG2. Also, how would you understand your NPC's feelings if you didn't experience the events of BG1?

BGEE has been fully patched and works fine now. So I advice to try it, to make a whole run through it, learning spells and abilities from the very start, and then import your character to BG2EE (or SoD, if that will be released at the time you finish BGEE, and then to BG2EE).

I hope you'll get a lot of excitement both in BG games and on the forum.

Just got a copy of BG1EE and Imeon pops up with a different portrait, more hotter lol, I'm liking it so far, outdoor setting is what I like to do, stuck in city's was claustrophobic but still I like BG2, thanks for the advice and welcoming to the forums :)
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Hey man! Have a :cookie:!

I'd also like to tell you that this forum is a great place for BG veterans and newcomers alike to talk to each other, learn new tactics for defeating their foes, and just hang out and talk about not just BG, but all sorts of other things as well. Everyone here is really cool, and you won't find a better place on the Internet to chill when you're taking breaks from whatever you're doing. So come on in, take off your web surfing shoes, and stay awhile. :grin:
    Crytek7JuliusBorisovlolien
    Nimran said:

Hey man! Have a :cookie:!

I'd also like to tell you that this forum is a great place for BG veterans and newcomers alike to talk to each other, learn new tactics for defeating their foes, and just hang out and talk about not just BG, but all sorts of other things as well. Everyone here is really cool, and you won't find a better place on the Internet to chill when you're taking breaks from whatever you're doing. So come on in, take off your web surfing shoes, and stay awhile. :grin:

Thanks, I liking BG, It's a beautiful game series, I feel welcomed smile:
    NimranJuliusBorisovlolien
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Crytek7 said:

bengoshi said:

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Also, welcome to the BG world. It would be a natural way of things if you try BGEE first. Starting from lvl 1, getting acquainted with the story itself will help you to understand everything better.

If you're unfamiliar with D&D and/or Infinity Engine games, it may be hard to jump right into magic-heavy BG2. Also, how would you understand your NPC's feelings if you didn't experience the events of BG1?

BGEE has been fully patched and works fine now. So I advice to try it, to make a whole run through it, learning spells and abilities from the very start, and then import your character to BG2EE (or SoD, if that will be released at the time you finish BGEE, and then to BG2EE).

I hope you'll get a lot of excitement both in BG games and on the forum.

Just got a copy of BG1EE and Imeon pops up with a different portrait, more hotter lol, I'm liking it so far,
    That's an interesting take on her bg1 portrait.
    " That's an interesting take on her bg1 portrait."

Never played BG1 ever! I was so used to seeing a thinner less round face figure of Imoen from BG2 which I have being playing for the past few months, until I quit during the middle chapter, she look's more womanly like in BG1 portrait, she's meant to be a younger person in BG, which I'm at odds?
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Welcome! Wizard Slayer is a some what challenging character for a starting player. I would recommend a pure fighter or a berzerker (no real cons) if you start a new game and preferably one with high constitution; dwarfs and half-orcs can have a CON score of 19 ;) .
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    Wilbur said:

Welcome! Wizard Slayer is a some what challenging character for a starting player. I would recommend a pure fighter or a berzerker (no real cons) if you start a new game and preferably one with high constitution; dwarfs and half-orcs can have a CON score of 19 ;) .

I'm regretting playing so long with the WS now, I ditched the playtrough in the underdark section because I was getting hammered and also a lot of slow down during intense magic, my computer might be struggling, I just started to play BGEE, any recommendations on a good starting class? I want to import my character from BG1 to BG2 later, so I want to keep the class all the way through? thanks..
    lolien
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    edited August 2015
    I've beaten bg2ee , and iwd ... Never played bg1...or anything with d&d... I started with bg2 like you as well.. You will be fine... My first ever character was a sorc(which I consider now an advanced class). And everything seemed to work out fine, little confused at first about removing enemy Mage protections at first, (ended up with like every spell protection removing spells lol!)

I wouldn't recommend a wizard slayer at all, unless you are planning on dualing to a theif... (Which you probably have no clue about)

Heres some advice: You should stick with a warrior type class for your first playthroughs, stay away sorcerors, bards, wizards.... You should try the inquisitor, its straight forward and comes with a dispel that absolutely destroys the biggest threat in the game (mages protections)