Skip to content

What do you think would be a fair price for Siege of Dragonspear?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

jamoecw said:

if it has just as much content as some of the more expansive mods, then i'd easily agree with you. unfortunately we don't know what level of content it has, as the amount of hours it should take is hardly a good indicator of its quality. if they really show what their new and improved IE can do then i'd double whatever amount i'd pay for the content otherwise, just to support the team and their mission.

Regardless of the quantity or quality of content, I have to agree with wubble. It's pretty much industry standard for expansions to be half to maybe just a little more than half of the base game. It's really rare for an expansion to be the same price as that of the base game.

The only time I've seen expansions the same price as the base game is in MMOs. For single player games such as Baldur's Gate, I've never seen an expansion cost the same amount as the base game.
    I'm looking at XCOM Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within on Steam and the base game and expansion cost the same. :)
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Comparing a price of expansion of an old old game to new game isn't a right comparison, so saying the new expansion should cost half of what the game cost now is just isn't fair in my opinion, they are working hard and putting a lot of hours and money into it, and it not small expansion.
    one should compare it with the original price of the game and see if it ok for him / her, although I think one should buy or not buying the game not on base of comparison of the base game to the expansion but on few other points:
    1.if one want the game or not
    2.if one will play it or not
    3.if the price that it come out with is affordable

I'm sure there are more points that I'm missing but I think those are the main once, each to his own and
    Blessed be
    [Deleted User]
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    SoD looks very reasonably priced compared with the PoE expansion...
    KamigoroshiJuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2015
    I've still got the boxes to show that I paid $28.77 for Age of Mythology and $28.77 for The Titans (its expansion). That was from Wal-Mart over a decade ago :)

Post edited by elminster on
    JuliusBorisov
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    It'll probably be worth more than what it is ultimately priced at.
    jamoecw
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    bengoshi said:

So, SoD won't be a simple expansion for BGEE, it will rather be an expansion for BG1 as a story.

Sure. And what's the BG1 price on GoG? :innocent:
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Fardragon said:

Have they even announced the price for the PoE expansion yet? Can't find any information about that anywhere...
    cmk24 said:

Fardragon said:

Have they even announced the price for the PoE expansion yet? Can't find any information about that anywhere...
    $30 if you buy part 1 and part 2 seperately, or $25 if you buy them together. There is much anger on the Obsidian forums.
    JuliusBorisovelminster
  • QuarfrynQuarfryn Member Posts: 3
    I'd buy it even for 50$, heck it's Baldur's Gate! What else is there to discuss! :wink:
    BGLover
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Musigny said:

bengoshi said:

So, SoD won't be a simple expansion for BGEE, it will rather be an expansion for BG1 as a story.

Sure. And what's the BG1 price on GoG? :innocent:
    Today's price of BG1 is one thing. But SoD is being made in today's world, with today's prices for everything: working hours (salaries), supplies, rental prices.
    Musignydunbarkaguanaelminster
    Yes but BG1 wasn't a Beamdog effort and investment.

I am just bemused by all the guys already justifying a price for a game add-on they haven't played yet.
    Up to the point to think (all irony excluded) that the Beamdog offerings manager should envision creating a donation page (not a crowdfunding thing) to take benefit from the extra enthusiasm.
    The only clue leading me to think the add-on is something substantial is somewhat hidden in the specs: a 2.17 GB storage requirement. This is no small thing at the BG scale. Beyond that, it is just a crystal ball divination.

The price is not one of my primary criteria. I could not buy BGEE at release time because it was not able to run on a simple Intel graphics engine (and apparently it contained many other bugs). Later I bought both BGEE and BG2EE before the BG2EE release. That was really to support Beamdog because playing the EE versions was not an emerency case. I really enjoyed the new engine though.
    However I just cannot ignore a basic comparison between BG(2)EE, Wasteland 2 and PoE.
    PoE and in an even more spectacular way Wasteland 2 were able to fix most of the reported bugs within a very short timeframe (weeks). BG(2)EE is now in a reasonably stable state but it took a long time.
    As a matter of fact I intend to take my time too, despite my true enthusiasm for a new product in the IE/BG landscape.
    JuliusBorisovStarflower2525FlashburnJustLeft
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Well, I think noone would tell you a bad word for that. All those concerns are understandable.

If you ask me where my enthusiasm comes from, I'd simply answer that I hope and believe.

I'm sure that working with the 16-year old engine is actually harder than with the new Unity engine used in Wasteland 2 and PoE. I think the process you've come through while updating the Tactics mod can show that it's far from being easy.

Andrew Foley has once told that with SoD they have a chance to rebuild a few bridges that were burned while BGEE and BG2EE were released. I really expect them to.

They don't have a much-demanding publishing parner now (as it was the case with Atari).

They've managed to find and to bring back vanilla voice-actors, several of whom have been not in business actually for several years.

They're putting original Bioware ideas about those "circumstances much darker" into realization.

They now have the biggest amount of staff working on QA if compared to the situation with the EEs.

They're trying to get as many talented people as it's possible. Think: Chris Avellone agreed to help them in some manner. If more such talented people were available, they'll try to get them as well, of this I'm sure.

And most importantly, now the question of whether Beamdog really can begin working on BG Next is in the air. So many expectations... I don't think they don't understand it. And this is why I'm sure they're really trying their best, putting everything there's in them, into SoD.
    Musignykaguana
    bengoshi said:

They're trying to get as many talented people as it's possible.

They should employ you. I won't create a petition because they don't seem to appreciate them :smiley: . However they should think about it... You're good at promoting their products apart from the "big events".
    JuliusBorisovFlashburnkaguana
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    Musigny said:

PoE and in an even more spectacular way Wasteland 2 were able to fix most of the reported bugs within a very short timeframe (weeks). BG(2)EE is now in a reasonably stable state but it took a long time.
    As a matter of fact I intend to take my time too, despite my true enthusiasm for a new product in the IE/BG landscape.

I can't speak for Wasteland 2, but Pillars of Eternity's patch history isn't as pristine as you portray. /experience
    FaydarkAvenger_teambg
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Musigny said:

Up to the point to think (all irony excluded) that the Beamdog offerings manager should envision creating a donation page (not a crowdfunding thing) to take benefit from the extra enthusiasm.

Somehow I think as far as contracts are concerned donations=crowdfunding. Many companies don't except donations for various legal reasons. If there isn't already a donations button they probably can't do it.
    Musigny
  • SuiboonSuiboon Member Posts: 86
    I'd say 20 bucks to start with, it will be on sale multiple times in this digital age of computer gaming anyway.
    jamoecw
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited August 2015
    Dee said:

There's typically a distinction between "Expansion" and "Stand-Alone Expansion", the latter referring to an expansion that adds story content that exists separately from the original game; the former adds story content to the original game.

That's not quite what those terms mean.

A standalone expansion can be installed and played without the base game - something like "Dragonfall" for Shadowrun Returns, or "Chaos Rising" for Warhammer 40K. There's a case to be made for a higher price here, because you're packaging the engine along with the new content.

That justification doesn't quite hold for the more traditional approach like "Dragon Age: Awakening" (or, yes, SoD), because you have to purchase the base game as a precondition.

I can't speak for Wasteland 2, but Pillars of Eternity's patch history isn't as pristine as you portray. /experience

I mean... are we still comparing it to support for BG2:EE? Because PoE wins hands-down there.
    Post edited by shawne on
    Musignyjamoecwelminster
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    edited August 2015
    shawne said:

I mean... are we still comparing it to support for BG2:EE? Because PoE wins hands-down there.
    True but PoE didn't have a publisher riding them day and night.

My experience of pillars was bugfree from the start anyway.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited August 2015
    wubble said:

Neither does Beamdog, for over a year now.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    $1.00
    If by saying PoE has a better patch history, you mean frequent patches that intoduced almost as many new bugs as it fixed old ones, but focused mainly on tinkering with the rules so you don't know what is a good build from one week to the next, you would be right.
    Faydark
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937

$1.00

Que sera, sirrah.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    wubble said:

shawne said:

I got some nasty persistent poisoning, that was extremely annoying.
    wubbleNimran
  • BlucherBlucher Member Posts: 110
    I think comparing it to BGEE and BG2EE isn't quite fair as the assets for those games were largely already there.

And IIRC I think I spent $29.99 or so for TotSC when it was new, back in the day. Heck, even earlier than that I remember (quite crappy, tbh) new computer games would easily cost $60 or more, and they would fit on one or two 3.5" floppy disks...
    elminsterMusignyJuliusBorisov
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

wubble said:

shawne said:

I got some nasty persistent poisoning, that was extremely annoying.
    When the game really, REALLY wants you to die slowly...

JuliusBorisov
  • iamcelestialiamcelestial Member Posts: 19
    Up to 20 EUR, but only because I like the game so much and Beamdog is a young company with an interesting business model and very helpful forum support.

If it were, say, a NWN expansion, I'd pay around 10 EUR.
    jamoecw
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    I voted $10 because of the general rule that expansions cost half as much as the base game that they require.

That being said, if we compare SoD to IWD:EE, a lot more work has gone into SoD than IWD:EE. I would bet that SoD will cost far more to make than IWD:EE.

SoD has many voice actors, many new areas, new AI, new engine features, new scripting, new monsters even. If you think about the effort that has gone into it, $20 is actually a fair price.

However, would it sell well at $20? Difficult question because of the assumption that expansions cannot cost as much as the full game, as I said. Had they made it a completely stand alone game that doesn't require BG1 and made it 40 hours in length, they could have charged $20. As an expansion, they would find it difficult to convince people who were not fans of BG back in the day to pay $20 for an expansion.
    JuliusBorisov
    Yes, they should thoroughly think about what price to set, because if the majority will find the price a bit more than it should be, here will come the first negative about the product, and it'll stick.
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229

I voted $10 because of the general rule that expansions cost half as much as the base game that they require.

That being said, if we compare SoD to IWD:EE, a lot more work has gone into SoD than IWD:EE. I would bet that SoD will cost far more to make than IWD:EE.

SoD has many voice actors, many new areas, new AI, new engine features, new scripting, new monsters even. If you think about the effort that has gone into it, $20 is actually a fair price.

However, would it sell well at $20? Difficult question because of the assumption that expansions cannot cost as much as the full game, as I said. Had they made it a completely stand alone game that doesn't require BG1 and made it 40 hours in length, they could have charged $20. As an expansion, they would find it difficult to convince people who were not fans of BG back in the day to pay $20 for an expansion.

I think even fans of BG will find it hard to pay 20$ for an expansion on such an old engine, and new players will not buy it for that price. I hope they don't try to sell it for 20$, it will be a hard sell. Maybe if they give bundle of Bg1EE+SoD for 25$.