Skip to content

Favourite Game?

OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
As the title says. Which BG game is your favourite?
  1. Favourite Game?57 votes
    1. Adventures on the Sword Coast! (Baldur's Gate)
      31.58%
    2. The Magnum Opus! (Baldur's Gate 2: SoA)
      64.91%
    3. The Final Struggle! (Baldur's Gate 2: ToB)
        3.51%

Comments

• NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Exploring!
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    BG2 for sure. BG1 has many things going for it, but it simply cannot live up to the awesome power of high-end BG2 combat. The Bhaalspawn story line I also find cooler than the whole Sword Coast shenanigans.

It's probably fair to say that ToB doesn't quite live up to it, though I personally do like how it concludes the story. Perhaps its combat is just a bit TOO high-powered? Then again, we are comparing it to two full games while it is only really an Expansion, maybe it's that.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    A bunch of factors make SoA a great game. It's at the normal sweet spot for DnD levels, roughly 5 to 15, where the combat gets more complex than at early levels (where arrows and Sleep tend to rule the world), but does not see the crazy overpowered spells that tend to simplify gameplay (like Dragon's Breath and Comet). It's less linear than ToB, and though it's not quite as nonlinear as BG1, it has much more depth.

The environs are also the most varied, as are the enemies.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Confession: I sometimes prefer Throne of Bhaal to Baldur's Gate

However, Shadows of Amn is the magnum opus for sure
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I've only gotten through SoA once and ToB 0 times. Played through BG1 like 8 times now. XD
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Option 2 and 3 should be merged. I don't recall the Throne of Bhaal being BG3.

But, I guess SoA, mainly because I don't feel excited about exploring BG1 areas that, first of all, I already know so well, second, are mostyl empty. I do feel like, however, roleplaying my character throught good story. And that's something BG2 does little better than BG1.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    As a game developer, I must say Throne of Bhaal. One great example of wasted potential. Honestly, if it were to be developed today, with opportunities such as crowdfunding readily available, it could have been the very best instalment of the series and a guarantee of a BG3, BG4 and, who knows, maybe even as many further sequels as some of those crappy jRPGs have. But the industry was very different at the time. It was a bitch. And so is Melissan. Bleh.
  • JairyannaJairyanna Member Posts: 209
    I love that in BG1 you start out thinking you're just a regular, normal person but over time you gradually find out that you're a pretty big deal. I love the mystery of that first play through. And I like starting out at Level 1. There's something thrilling about the very real possibility of being murdered by a diseased gibberling.
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    Myself, I'm going to have to say SoA. It just feels like the most complete game to me.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    It's a close call between BG 1 and SOA for me. The feeling of being left in the wilderness all alone with a whole new and dangerous world to explore with a puny low-level charname took me with awe the first time I played the game. And I have been hooked ever since.

But I still prefer SOA. The characters personality comes out. They all have feelings about you, the surroundings, and the choices you make. Also I like the fact that there's a lot less wilderness areas. It makes the journeys and quests that easier to go to.

And in SOA you know who you are. You must choose whether to give in to the taint or not. Will you and your companions be able to stop that or will they nurture the taint within you.

Last but not least I find Sarevok to be a great end boss. But subtlety is not his middle name. Irenicus is in my opinion epic. From the plot to the voice acting.
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    doggy said:

It's a close call between BG 1 and SOA for me. The feeling of being left in the wilderness all alone with a whole new and dangerous world to explore with a puny low-level charname took me with awe the first time I played the game. And I have been hooked ever since.

But I still prefer SOA. The characters personality comes out. They all have feelings about you, the surroundings, and the choices you make. Also I like the fact that there's a lot less wilderness areas. It makes the journeys and quests that easier to go to.

And in SOA you know who you are. You must choose whether to give in to the taint or not. Will you and your companions be able to stop that or will they nurture the taint within you.

Last but not least I find Sarevok to be a great end boss. But subtlety is not his middle name. Irenicus is in my opinion epic. From the plot to the voice acting.

Irenicus is definitely one of the best villains I've ever seen. You really want to defeat him from the moment he shows up.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    BG1 no contest. Total freedom of exploring, party composition and character creation. Over the years I begun to hate min-maxing and BG2 is too power-gamey overall. I like my character to have some strengths and weaknesses. There is so much hidden content in just random dialogues with common people. Love the slow pace of wild areas, the atmosphere of the mines and the living Baldur's Gate city.

I respected Iron Throne and Sarevok for their master-plan. Being just a regular adventurer fits me much more and the early levels are more fun to me.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    BG2 > All

BG1 always bore me out before I finish and I either start a new char or cheat him/her into BG2 (recreate via keeper as if I had played through BG1 with the char, adding EXP and tomes etc). BG2, on the other hand, keep me entertained throughout. ToB just isn't for me. It has it's moments of course, but for me middle levels is the best part of the game, Seeing my newest character experimentation to fruition (or failure).

Currently I am experimenting alot with shapeshifters, trying to maximize its effectiveness without too many mods.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    LoL at one vote for ToB... Quite telling.

As for me, I vote for BG1.

Too many times I've gone through it when my characters on no-reload games found their end in BG1 and BG2. And all those times I've enjoyed the first chapters of the Bhaalspawn's story. It's just unmatched when EVERY new level brings such a change into your arsenal of tricks.

I like BG2, I really do, I like BG2 NPCs (Yoshimo is probably my most favourite but BG1, with that feeling of freedom, exploration and step-by-step improving is what I like the most. And a lot of NPCs here and there, to make absolutely different parties each time, even if it's a 10th or 15th party run.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    As a artist, I'm going with TOB. It had triggered romance scenes for everyoneand not just Jaheira. It painted the background for Charname even if it clashed the fact my charname was black/brown -cough-

It gave logical reasoning behind Gorion's actions, and it made you actually feel like the child of a damn god.