Skip to content

Illegal characters

DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
So I've been meaning to ask, has anyone played with illegal class combo's like mage/Sorcerer or Sorcerer/cleric? How does the game actuall handle them?

Comments

• dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Sorcerers cannot multiclass, I think it's hardcoded into the game, as are other restrictions. No Bard/Druid or whatever weird 3.0 stuff people do. I've played with different races; a half-orc Ranger/Priest of Tempus was pretty cool.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977

Sorcerers cannot multiclass, I think it's hardcoded into the game, as are other restrictions. No Bard/Druid or whatever weird 3.0 stuff people do. I've played with different races; a half-orc Ranger/Priest of Tempus was pretty cool.

Oh so I can't even go in and break my game to do it, dang.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    You could create a kit to emulate such a thing. I've designed a kit to turn a Mage/Thief into a Cleric/Mage/Thief, and you could also make a Fighter/Sorcerer in the same way, though there would be some minor differences and you'd need to use a script or Shadow/EEKeeper in the process. It might also require Use Any Item and some self-imposed restrictions to let the class use the right items.

Some things couldn't be emulated. Sorcerer-style spellcasting cannot coexist with thieving skills, bard songs, or turn undead. Thieving skills besides pickpocket can't coexist with bard songs.

But you could create a Monk/Sorcerer with some difficulty, or a Druid/Thief, or a Fighter/Cleric/Thief, or a Paladin/Mage. If you like, @DragonKing, I could cook up something for you, if you're using vanilla BG2 (I don't have EE). I already have some files I could use for a Sorcerer/Cleric kit, and a Fighter/Sorcerer would also be within reach.
    @semiticgod
    Don't worry about it, this was just a question to sate my curiosity; remember I've already stated many times that u don't like dual or multiclassing
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I have an adorable Mage/Assassin that I'm rather enjoying now. She was a little iffy at the lower levels but is starting to come into her own now in a really nice way. :D Still squishy as hell but a lot of fun with the utility of both classes in one. :D
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited August 2015
    CaloNord said:

I have an adorable Mage/Assassin that I'm rather enjoying now. She was a little iffy at the lower levels but is starting to come into her own now in a really nice way. :D Still squishy as hell but a lot of fun with the utility of both classes in one. :D

I have the same. Very enjoyable class. I play him as some kind of an "alchemist", so he's good with potions and poisons and only uses arcane spells for buffs, so he has a self-imposed restriction on offensive spells. I would have made him an assassin/enchanter if possible, but since it can't be done in eekeeper, it was easier so restrict myself than to try to have two kits.

I've created many multiclass characters with kits, and even got (to my surprise) a barbarian/cleric functioning through Eekeeper. Didn't think that was possible, but it was. Also, a DD/cleric (hello immunities!), werewolf/fighter and numerous different combinations of thief kits/fighters or mages.

I don't which mod adds this, but in my current game setup with patch version (don't remember which I have, my comp is not connected to the net so haven't downloaded the latest patches) and mods a werewolf druid can still sling spells while transmuted and since if you eqiup darts before transmuting, it adds APR on top of what you have, you get 4 APR at the start of BG. The werewolf form is an item you put in the weapon slot of the main hand, so you can still have a weapon in the offhand, but all attacks counts as from the main hand. It's of course ridiculously OP for BG1 (less so in BG2 ofc), but quite funny to play that char. In Bg2 he was better with scimitars and no transmute.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The character I enjoy playing outside of the BG series is a Paladin/Assassin. There's no way to do that in Baldur's Gate, but I'm generally a fan of contradictory archetypes.

I guess Mage/Wizard Slayer would be the next best example, although that would require playing a Wizard Slayer...
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Paladin/Invoker or Paladin/Ranger are my 2 favorites. And I think it just clicked in my head why undead hunter fits me more than cavalier.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Multi class Swashy/Mage.

Multi class Fighter/Assassin.

duel class Fighter into Shadowdancer.

Multi class Fighter/Shapeshifter.

@SmilingSword
    A shapeshifting fighter? How did that work out for you?
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Doing an Archer / Mage right now for fun. Since you can't do a Ranger/Mage, I am shadowkeeping only the combat abilities of the archer (called shot, +1 every 3 levels and ability to grandmaster bows) and am manually imposing the armor and nonranged 1 proficiency point limitations of the archer kit. The EEKeeper makes it easy to drop the kit abilities in after leveling up in fighter (lvls divisible by 3 or 4).

I am running with a ranged party this time where we use no melee attacks except for a few molds that are piercing damage immune. It will be interesting to see how this works with the limited selection of ranged weapons able to affect more powerful opponents in TOB. I guess the whirlwind attack may make up for the limited attacks per round when a melee weapon has to be used there.
    @AHF: You could maintain strict adherence to missile weapons by having your Archer/Mage switch to Minute Meteors when dealing with stuff like Clay Golems. Minute Meteors are ranged weapons but do crushing damage. You won't have to deal with melee weapons at all if you have Minute Meteors.
    My thought on that was to start putting points in sling for that purpose but Minute Meteors are a good idea too. They also give you a +5 weapon for Kangaxx, etc.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827

@SmilingSword
    A shapeshifting fighter? How did that work out for you?

Very well actually, I was using the SCS shapeshifter mod, not the OP weimer mod. It's still strong just not super OP, anyways the fighters extra attacks stack with the were paws "a weapon that controls shapeshifting, I really liked this much more that having a special ability button. So much simpler, if the weapon is equip'd you're in werewolf form, if it's not you're back to your normal elf form.", so about 5 or 6 attacks per turn once you get greater werewolf and that's pretty early on, lvl 13 to be exact. Plus since the werewolf shift is controlled by the paw weapon, that means you can equip a off hand weapon, and druids can take pips in scimitars so Blem. The fighters high hp is a gods send, because this character will eventually become the best tank ever. The werepaw is only a +3 weapon, but the regen it gives is insane, it's like 3 hp per second or something.
    The shifter playthrough was actually one of the most fun playthroughs I've ever done, also one of the few I've taken all the way from Candlekeep to the end of ToB.
    I'd hate to see the overpowered kit if it is 3 hp/second regeneration, 6 attacks per round plus ability to dual wield Belm, and other bonuses!
    SCS shapeshifters only get 1 HP regen, or 2 if they dual-wield two copies of the tokens, which rules out Belm. They do, however, get 50% elemental resistances, 40 MR, and haste, which increases their regen rate. Very tanky.
    Well, it's no Wizard Slayer but I can see how it could tank a bit.
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    edited August 2015
    I play on Android; could someone eekeeper me a shadowdancer/Mage multiclass human/elf/Helf male Neutral evil with the name Trav? I would be most appreciative! I've always wanted to try one but I do not have a computer anymore to do so.
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    Please don't post about making illegal characters, or at least have a plan for when the police cracks down on you with a search warrant
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Must... not... make... Trump... joke...