Skip to content

[MOD] Afaaq, the Djinni Companion for BG2 and BG2:EE released

argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
edited August 2018 in BGII:EE Mods

View Readme

Download Djinni Companion (latest version) (22 MB)

Download Djinni Companion (mirror)

Meet Afaaq! The djinni who will be your faithful companion in the course of your adventures throughout SoA and ToB. Now available for Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition as well!

Content
- The djinni Afaaq who acts as your "seventh party member"
- Extensive dialog content between Afaaq and the protagonist
- Banters with the original Bioware/Beamdog NPCs (still in the works)
- Interjections and commentaries
- An extensive player-initiated dialog with Afaaq
- Up to five new interesting quests
- Six new areas
- A couple of unique artifacts
- Several easter eggs ;)

This mod is available for the original Baldur's Gate II, Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition.

Overview

Afaaq is a djinni – a genie of the Elemental Plane of Air. He is very old even in genie terms. The numerous events he witnessed in his long life have left their marks on his personality. He appears somewhat reserved and radiates a melancholic, sometimes even gloomy aura. Afaaq is more serious than others of his kind and tends to talk in a rather long-winded and convoluted way. He respects wisdom and open-mindedness, but will also tolerate foolhardy behavior to a certain degree. Everything else he can tell you by himself.

When you first meet him, he is equipped with his favorite enchanted scimitar, has a small variety of spells and a couple of unusual innate abilities. The djinni gains experience much like a party member would do and levels up automatically. Depending on the choices you make during the course of the game, he may become even more useful later.

Initial Statistics
Class: Fighter/Mage at level 10/11
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Strength: 15
Dexterity: 16
Constitution: 13
Intelligence: 15
Wisdom: 16
Charisma: 11

If you want to know more, simply talk to him when he is around or in his magical lamp. He will be happy to answer your questions in detail.

FAQ

Q: Where can I find the djinni?
A: (Baldur's Gate II) You will find the djinni in the course of your Trademeet adventures.
A: (Icewind Dale) You can find it somewhere in Dragon's Eye.

Q: Could you be more specific where I can find the djinni?
A: (Full Version) The quest to find the djinni will be triggered when you attack Adratha, the potion seller of the druid grove. To reach her, enter the druid grove and look for a cottage in the upper right part of the map. She is the rakshasa in disguise.
A: (Light Version) You can find the djinni after you have killed Adratha, the potion seller of the druid grove.
A: (IWD:EE Version) The djinni is in possession of Yxunomei, the current ruler of Dragon's Eye.

Q: What's the deal with the full version and the light version of Afaaq?
A: The full version contains everything I've advertised in the readme and this FAQ, which includes banters, interjections, comments and several quests. The light version is just a stripped down version of the djinni without additional content. I have added this option as a bonus for people who already know him inside out or want to take him along in Icewind Dale.

Q: How useful is the djinni if he doesn't join like a regular party member?
A: Since he's rather tagging along than joining your party, you don't have access to his inventory or record screen. His spell selection is fixed as well, although it may expand at a certain point in the game. To compensate these limitations, I have given him many useful abilities and options how to interact with him. He also has an extensive PID menu, regardless whether he is inside or outside of his lamp. There is even more, but you should find it out by yourself. ;)

Q: Does he have a quest?
A: (Full Version only) Not only one. In the course of the game you can take part in up to five quests related to the djinni, his nature and his past. Some quests are mandatory, others are optional or depend on how you solved a previous quest.

Q: Does he get along with evil characters?
A: Afaaq is generally tolerant towards characters of any alignment. He won't always agree, but unless you're acting very abusive towards him, it won't come to a clash. It might even be worthwhile to take him along with an evil party at least once, as certain quest options are only available to evil-aligned protagonists.

Q: Can you romance the djinni?
A: No, you can't. But there is a friendship path of sorts. While Afaaq shares your company, his respect for you might grow or wane, depending on how you deal with certain events in your path. This is very important for specific events later on.

Q: How does he get along with other NPCs?
A: Currently, there isn't much interaction with most of the NPCs, so he will get along with everyone just fine. That will change however in one of the coming releases. He will get along better with like-minded characters, but he will also tolerate some of the more evil NPCs. That doesn't mean there aren't any surprises if you've got Korgan, Edwin or some of the other evil Bioware or Enhanced Edition NPCs in your party.

Q: Will there be crossmod content?
A: The banter system is designed to support crossmod content. So yes, it is possible with little restrictions. But my first priority is to add banters for all official NPCs.

Q: I want Afaaq to retreat into his lamp. How do I do that?
A: You can ask him to do it. Click on the "Talk" button (or press F1) and click on your djinni. He will initiate a dialog which presents you an option to return him into his lamp. Another way is to trigger his quick menu in Afaaq's item ability slot. You can also force him into the lamp when you click the lamp's conversation button.

Q: Afaaq is badly hurt. What are my options to heal him?
A: You can cast healing spells on him, like on regular party members. You can also offer your healing potions to him. If you want to do that, make sure you have any kind of healing potion in your inventory before initiating a conversation with the djinni. Select the appropriate dialog option and the djinni will quaff the potion almost immediately. The same procedure works if Afaaq is poisoned or diseased and you have any kind of remedy in your backpack.

Q: Sometimes I see strange messages in the game console which refer to Afaaq as familiar?
A: The messages are harmless and will only be shown whenever Afaaq tries to leave a map on his own or attempts to enter a store. Unfortunately they are hardcoded into the game itself and cannot be changed without patching the game executable.

Q: Will Afaaq become stronger later in the game?
A: (Full Version) Yes. He gains levels in the course of the game, similar to the level up process of your party members. To inspect his current strength, you can ask him to present his stats. One of his quests allows the djinni to become even more powerful. He will gain a couple of new innate abilities and spells as well.
A: (Light Version) Yes. As in the Full Version, the djinni gains levels in the course of the game. He will become even more powerful at a certain point in the game.
A: (IWD:EE Version) Yes. As in the Full Version and Light Version, the djinni gains levels in the course of the game. You can also choose between two options to make the djinni even more powerful. One of them can be triggered during your Heart of Winter journey by talking to a certain person who is relevant for the main quest. The second option is available in Lower Dorn's Deep from a certain shady character in the hidden Svirfneblin camp.

Q: Afaaq picked a fight with me. How does it affect the game?
A: (Full Version only) There are several points in the game where he may strongly disagree with the protagonist. Sometimes it even results in a fight. After you win the fight, he will be fully under your control. As a result, he won't banter with you and your party members anymore and it might affect future event. Everything else should work as usual.

Q: Quest "Vengeance": How can I disable the barriers around the temple complex?
A: (Full Version only) You'll need to place certain items into the slots next to the barrier. All of them can either be found or "earned" somewhere on the map.

Q: Quest "An unexpected encounter": I have entered the cave, but it looks like it has been abandoned already. How can I proceed with the quest?
A: (Full Version only) Unfortunately, you can't anymore. The quest has to be started before you participate in the drow summoning ritual in Ust Natha. Afaaq should have reminded you once or twice to pay a visit to the cave before it's too late. You can still continue your journey without finishing this quest. It will make certain events in the future slightly more difficult to overcome, however.

Q: Quest "An unexpected encounter": How can I enter House Arabani?
A: (Full Version only) You need a wardstone to enter their home. Since House Arabani is one of the smaller houses in Ust Natha, they have made alliances with other houses to survive. Maybe you can take advantage of this situation?

Q: Quest "Playing with fire": How can I enter the pool in the smuggler cave?
A: (Full Version only) Firstly, you need permission from the occupants of the cave to enter the pool. Secondly, you'll surely burn yourself if you want to enter the pool unprotected. Talk to the townsfolk to find a solution for this problem.

Q: I want to start a ToB-only or HoW-only game. Where can I find the djinni?
A: (Full Version) You can't. The mod is designed to be started in the SoA part of the game.
A: (Light Version) You can find the djinni after you have beaten Illasera.
A: (IWD:EE Version) You can find the djinni lamp somewhere hidden in the Shrine of Waukeen in Lonelywood.

Work on the Djinni Companion already began back in 2012. He eventually grew from a simple companion into a full-fletched NPC whose mere presence in your party draws you into a number of interesting quests throughout both Shadow of Amn and Throne of Bhaal. The Djinni Companion mod makes use of additional content from a number of mods, if it can find them during installation. You can find out more about it in the linked Readme.

Feel free to post your thoughts, suggestions, questions or bugs either here or on SHS Forums.

Have fun! :)
Post edited by argent77 on
aqzinaJuliusBorisovGoturalGodKaiserHellMusignyGrammarsaladFlashburnAbelSereverusSmilingSwordbruselminsterSpaceInvaderKerozevokmf2112CrevsDaakMontresor_SPlolienThacoBellMirandelBlackravenxiaoleiwenPermidion_Starkmademan2

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431

Update: Afaaq, the Djinni Companion v1.2

I forgot to install certain map files in the "Light Version" of the mod. If you're playing the light version you should install this update if it's feasible. There is no need to start a new game. Otherwise you have to avoid asking Afaaq to visit his lamp in ToB, if you don't want to crash the game.

Changes in v1.2:
    - Added missing map files for the "Light Version" component
    - Changed Afaaq's death sequence to further reduce chances that it goes out of control in very specific situations
    - Added a third selectable combat script for Afaaq which focuses on actions to keep him alive
    - Lots of minor fixes
    JuliusBorisovMusignyCrevsDaakhanhwisoo
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    During the installation of the full version I've got error messages (OSX 10.10.3):

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: __ZNSt6thread20hardware_concurrencyEv
    Referenced from: /Applications/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00782/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app/Contents/Resources/DjinniCompanion/areas/../tools/osx/tileconv
    Expected in: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: __ZNSt6thread20hardware_concurrencyEv
    Referenced from: /Applications/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00782/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app/Contents/Resources/DjinniCompanion/areas/../tools/osx/tileconv

DjinniCompanion/tools/install_tis-osx.sh: line 4: 62068 Trace/BPT trap: 5 ../tools/osx/tileconv -o ../../override *.tbc
    dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: __ZNSt6thread20hardware_concurrencyEv
    Referenced from: /Applications/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00782/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app/Contents/Resources/DjinniCompanion/areas/bg2ee/../../tools/osx/tileconv

dyld: Symbol not found: __ZNSt6thread20hardware_concurrencyEv
    Referenced from: /Applications/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00782/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app/Contents/Resources/DjinniCompanion/areas/bg2ee/../../tools/osx/tileconv

DjinniCompanion/tools/install_mos_ee-osx.sh: line 4: 62072 Trace/BPT trap: 5 ../../tools/osx/tileconv -o ../../../override *.mbc

The weinstall itself completed successfully.
    @StefanO The mod includes a small tool which is responsible for unpacking certain graphics files. This tool doesn't seem to find certain libraries on your system.

Can you try installing the mod again with the updated tool I have attached to this post? Simply unpack it and copy the file 'tileconv' into the folder "DjinniCompanion/tools/osx".
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    argent77 said:

@StefanO The mod includes a small tool which is responsible for unpacking certain graphics files. This tool doesn't seem to find certain libraries on your system.

Can you try installing the mod again with the updated tool I have attached to this post? Simply unpack it and copy the file 'tileconv' into the folder "DjinniCompanion/tools/osx".

The updated "tileconv" does the trick. 5 tbc- and 7 mbc-files were successfully converted.

Thank you very much, both for your help and your mod.

Update: Afaaq, the Djinni Companion v1.3

This update fixes a potential installation error for Mac OS X users.

Changes in v1.3:
    - (Mac only) Updated tool which is used to unpack specific map resources.
    - Lots of small improvements and fixes.

A more detailed list of changes can be found here.
    JuliusBorisovMusigny
  • HoarmurathHoarmurath Member Posts: 8
    I installed this mod on a friends game at his request & it is now his favorite mod! He has found an item, the Skull of the Demi Lich, that he has never seen before. Is this one of your Easter eggs?
    JuliusBorisovMusigny
    Not exactly. It's (an optional) part of a quest you'll encounter much later in the game. Apart from that it can be used as an equippable item if you're willing to risk the negative side effects of this artifact.
    JuliusBorisovMusigny

Update: Afaaq, the Djinni Companion v1.4

Changes in v1.4:
    - Fixed a bug in the "Light Version" component which sometimes failed to summon the djinni for the first time.
    - Slightly modified Afaaq's character level to increase chances for unsuccessful dispel magic attempts on him.
    - Expanded "Frequently Asked Questions" section of the Readme.
    MusignyJuliusBorisov

Update: Afaaq, the Djinni Companion v1.5

Changes in v1.5:
    - Added german translation (thanks to Gerri).
    - Added strings for rangers' Tracking HLA to selected areas.
    - Fixed a couple of spelling errors.
    - Slightly expanded the Readme's FAQ section.
    MusignyJuliusBorisov
    There is an annoying bug in this mod since version 1.3, which may prevent your party from leaving the current area if the djinni is NOT outside of his lamp. I'm currently working on a fix.

If you encounter this bug and can't leave the area, you can force the djinni to appear even when he's badly wounded by entering the following console command:
    C:SetGlobal("A7AfaaqSummonOverride","GLOBAL",1)
    After that you can use the lamp to summon the djinni without delay.
    JuliusBorisovMusigny
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Is it possible to miss the quest that gives afaaq his full powers ? I got the gems from the underdark but i'm fairly scared of not finding the way to use them and I don't remember seeing any hint.
    Musigny
    @GrimLefourbe Don't worry, there is no way you can miss it. Just play the game normally and you'll find it out eventually.
    Musigny
    edited August 2015
    Hey it's me again, i'm at 5.5 million of exp and afaaq is still level 14/11, it's also been a while since i've seen a dialogue from him(nothing when fighting bodhi for example), i'm about to end shadows of amn, i'm wondering if he might be stuck or is it supposed to be?

Edit : I just finally got a word from him as I reached Hell, it's still seems like very low interaction compared to before.
    Musigny
    Afaaq's level progression is capped at level 14 in his weakened state and (currently) around level 24 in his restored state. If you're already at 5.5m XP, his power should skyrocket as soon as he restores himself. He will also gain more spells and abilities to become much more useful against powerful opponents.

He's got more to say in ToB, where he will also open up a bit and talk more about himself.
    Musigny
    Alright, I got his upgrade and he reached 19/14 instantly, I feel like the dialogs are lacking around bodhi's area then, though this is all constructive criticism because he's honestly awesome and fairly balanced. I feel like it could be interesting to give him reduced casting times since it's impossible to decide which spells he carries into battle, it would be awesome if he kind of felt like a deva or planetar(although way less powerful obviously, it doesn't have to be full reduced casting).

Awesome mod anyway, unless I find some major bug in ToB, it's going to the must-have list :)
    Musigny
    Thanks. :)

Yes, he doesn't have anything to say about Bodhi yet. Maybe I can come up with an interesting line in a future release.

Reduced casting times would probably make him too powerful. Restoring his full power already gives him better stats and weapon proficiencies, a much more powerful sword and several useful innate abilities (which includes unlimited Haste and Invisibility). To give you an idea of his power, Afaaq was able to defeat Sendai single-handedly without breaking a sweat in my games.
    Musigny
    Mmm, maybe it's due to SCS, he feels inferior to a party member to me.

I suggest adding a message when the afaaq reaches his maximum level in different forms, it could be the occasion to add a conversation with charname about his growth of power (charname's). I'm using Xan on my playthrough and Xan has a lot of discussions about charname's power and his plans, I think it could be interesting to see afaaq having a different opinion than Xan, I'd expect Afaaq to have a more educated opinion on the meaning of godhood since he's been around for so long.
    Musigny
    edited August 2015
    Charname's ascension to godhood is touched in some of Afaaq's conversations with Charname. However only lightly, because djinns are not on good terms with the gods in general. He should have talked about Charname's heritage a couple of times in SoA already.

A message about reaching Afaaq's level cap (in his weakened state) will only break immersion, but I could add an explanation for this to one of his dialogs.
    Musigny
    I was thinking of something along the lines of "How does it feel for you to have lost a part of you? For djinnis, it feels trapped, I feel like I can't grow anymore in this state." I'm not a good writer but some link between the 2 situations.

The djinni could know more about godhood than Charname and have an opinion affected by the djinni relation to gods? Charname isn't the first mortal to have the possibility to achieve godhood and the djinni could have known others before. Just some thoughts.
    Musigny
    In the dialog to give Afaaq elixirs of health, it reads "Elixir of Help" for me. ("I can give you Elixirs of Help")
    Musigny
    Good catch! Will be fixed in the next release.
    Musigny
  • xaze1138xaze1138 Member Posts: 5
    Is there a way to put this mod on a bgii:ee for android?
    Musigny
    @xaze1138 Unfortunately not as long as it's impossible to modify the file dialog.tlk, which contains all the text strings of the game. I've seen instructions how to circumvent this limitations in this post, but I can't help you there.
    Musigny
    I see so anything requiring dialog is definitely out of the question for the time being thank you I've just recently began modding and this was one of the more interesting ones I wanted to try
    Musigny
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    edited September 2015
    If you don't mind reading texts obtained with an automated translation, you can have a look at this. It's a procedure (originally written in French) to install mods for BGEE on Android, that you can apply to BG2EE, although a few file names (obb files) and directories on the tablet will be slightly different.
    Overriding dialog.tlk also works for BG2EE too, I checked it with a French patch build with the described method. Installing mods should therefore work as in BGEE.
    Musigny
    Awesome ty
    Musigny

Update: Afaaq, the Djinni Companion v1.6

Important: If you've installed the Djinni Companion v1.5 or older together with QuestPack's "Revised Hell Trials" v2.4 or higher, you should avoid choosing the "neutral path" when dealing with the Greed Trial to circumvent a serious bug that affects the ToB storyline of the mod.

Changes in v1.6:
    - Fixed an incorrect check for QuestPack's "Revised Hell Trials" component, which resulted in the installation of the wrong dialog file.
    - Fixed a bug that prevented the party from leaving an area if the djinni was inside his lamp.
    - Added new rumors to the Drow innkeeper in Ust Natha.
    - Added more background information about House Arabani to several drow citizens.
    - Improved Afaaq's ability "Control Aerial Creatures".
    - Expanded Afaaq's level progression up to level 30 and added saving throw bonuses on level up.
    - Added more Afaaq-specific lines to Trademeet Dao Genies.
    - Afaaq reacts to failed pickpocket attempts from party members (TobEx/BG2EE only).
    - Various minor fixes and optimizations.
    JuliusBorisovMusigny
    I have the 1.5 version of the mod and no matter if choosing good or neutral path for the greed trial, the djinni doesn't give his full powers to Afaaq, any idea what could be the cause of this?

Can I update the mod to 1.6 without screwing the rest of the install?
    Musigny
    edited September 2015
    @GrimLefourbe The good path should work in any case, since it hasn't been modified by the QuestPack mod. Do you have the djinni lamp in your possession? Does the enslaved djinni talk to Afaaq at least once during the conversation? You should also make sure that Afaaq is not under any adverse spell effect, such as silence. Edit: It should even work if he's under Silence or similar effects.
    Post edited by argent77 on
    Musigny