Skip to content

Forum writers, you can win R.A.Salvatore's Drizzt Do'Urden novel: Night of the Hunter

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
Someone has a extra hardcover copy of Night of the Hunter and there's a writing competition for the book.

Here are the guidelines for the competition:
* Following in the footsteps of Drizzt Do'Urden, write a short story/scene should focus on an atypical character. Here is a chance to spin a tale about one of the unsung perspectives of the Forgotten realms. Ignore stereotypes and break the expectations of the audience.
* Are you a sympathetic villain or a misunderstood hero? From devilish carpenters to gnomish tyrants, set the scene you want to tell.
* You can either find a canon character that matches the above description and add a chapter to their tales or create a character of your own devising, introducing them as you see best.
* As long as it fits in one post (10,000 characters), no story is too small or too long. There is no restriction on style, just have fun.
* This competition will run for a two (2) weeks* so as many entries can be collected (and voted on) as possible. The final date of the competition is September 15. The winner with the most votes will receive a copy of Night of the Hunter from https://www.reddit.com/u/TerrorBlades. The book will be shipped internationally, no distance limit!

You can read the rules and post your story here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Forgotten_Realms/comments/3j87dz/announcement_writing_competition/

I know that this forum is full of talents, @Nonnahswriter , @Nimran , @deltago , @Sniiiimon , @Grum and many-many others, so having seen that announcement, I've thought I should share it here.

Comments

• Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    Very cool!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    tempting...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Go for it, people! Your stories that you've posted here on this forum and keep posting, to me, can go there without changes.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Copyright issues is my main concern really.

Do I want to give up a potential character concept I can use in the future for a book that I do not want to read?
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159
    deltago said:

Do I want to give up a potential character concept I can use in the future for a book that I do not want to read?

Same. That, and I'm inexperienced in Forgotten Realms lore and more than a little terrified of being eaten alive for it.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I'm going to write about a character I'm making just for this. She's going to be an adorable gnome necromancer. Who would've guessed I would write about a CG gnome necromancer girl!
  • NaveenNaveen Member Posts: 81
    Good luck to all participants, but I'm not sure I'm going to write a short story in a comments section. It's a contest, every entry should have the same opportunity to be read and brutally mocked without random people saying things between entries. Still... perhaps a short story, two paragraphs or something...
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Hmmm... I do have a short story laying around that could fit, but I fear it's too long. Still, the idea is there... Now if only I actually had the time to write it. D:
    Nimran said:

I am honored that people think that I am a talented writer, despite my lack of real professional experience. I may give this a try, though it would require some research about the Forgotten Realms setting.

I know, I'll play more BG!

It's research! :wink:
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    The competition is now closed for new entries, only votes will be counted. The vote counting will end September 22.

I wonder if any writer from this forum has participated in the contest in the end.
    I did not, because I forgot about it. D:

Also, I don't have a reddit account, so...
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    edited September 2015
    Yeh, I knda got caught up in my research.
    I originally was going to but my boss decided to cut my 4 days off and so I ended up working instead.
    /sigh
    I'm going to write the story anyway, though. I love writing.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Why isn't this character dead yet? It's like the Kristen Stewart of Dungeons and Dragons.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Vallmyr said:

I'm going to write about a character I'm making just for this. She's going to be an adorable gnome necromancer. Who would've guessed I would write about a CG gnome necromancer girl!

First case of plagiarism right there! Oh wait! Your going for the female niche in this already over subscribed area. I will salute your endeavours!
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    What... I've missed it... Curses!
    Well, you know I adore shorty girls and Necromancy. It's only time before I've tried combining them XD.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Vallmyr said:

Your local good aligned necromancer chiming in!
    Looks like this could be fun!
    I have 4 days of free time coming up so maybe I'll write it during then!

NOW IS VAL'MYR'S TIME TO COME UNTO THE LITERARY WORLD!

Vallmyr said:

Your local good aligned necromancer chiming in!
    Looks like this could be fun!
    I have 4 days of free time coming up so maybe I'll write it during then!

NOW IS VAL'MYR'S TIME TO COME UNTO THE LITERARY WORLD!

What is Valmyr's alignment?
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

deltago said:

Same. That, and I'm inexperienced in Forgotten Realms lore and more than a little terrified of being eaten alive for it.
    Try Forgotten Realms wiki.
    edited September 2015
    Eh
    Well.
    That's complicated.
    So Val'myr is based on myself. According to the Easydamus "What D&D Character are you." I get True Neutral leaning towards Chaotic Neutral.

I'd peg Val'myr as Chaotic Good.
    Except Good Clerics can't cast animate dead in 3.5/Pathfinder which is what my IRL PnP groups play.
    So he's Chaotic Neutral because rules. I mean I guess I could make him a CG Wizard Necro but Wizard Necros get animate dead later and don't get the cool armor.

So in my homebrew setting he's CG but in Faerun he's CN because rules.

The character I was going to write about would be a gnome CG Wizard Necromancer named Milly Vex. Super pale skin, purple hair (I think gnomes should have weird hair colors), blue eyes, and be incredibly adorable calling her skellybros her friends and dressing them in snazzy clothes and talking to them as if they were intelligent. So she'd be slightly on the insane side but have a good heart and go out of her way to help people. I imagine she'd name all her skeletons and get super sad if one was killed.
    Post edited by Vallmyr on
    This is the story that has won:

"My story is about one of the canon characters from Drizzt's corner of the world, another drow in fact who's known beyond the scope of his world covered by Bob. I speak of none other than Jarlaxle, whom certainly defies the Forgotten Realms' expectations when it comes to drow.
    == Fall ==
    On the twenty-first of Elient, Jarlaxle lays underneath a maple tree, looking up into its reddening leaves without a care in the world. The mercenary has many plans for the day, most of which involve enjoying the Autumn Equinox to the fullest. How he loves fall, loves all of the seasons, in fact, for such changes are not known in the Underdark. Yet autumn is perhaps his favorite, especially when it gloriously brings vibrant colors to the World Above.
    He holds up a hand over his face, squinting against the orange-dappled glow of sun through the leaves as it paints his coal-black skin a rich mahogany. In that moment, his hand does not look as if it belongs to him, or to a drow at all. Jarlaxle whimsically imagines himself in the body of a human, a considerably tanned and swarthy human. Like one he spent many years traveling and adventuring beside.
    It had been a similar day in autumn, though later in the season, with the wind carrying the first of winter’s chills. All the leaves then were a brilliant red, and had started to gather underneath the trees’ boughs. This didn’t stop the mercenary from enjoying himself however. It had taken him no time at all to clear a spot for lounging underneath nature’s splendor.
    Just as he had fully settled into a relaxing recline, a withered leaf flew into his vision, pieces crumbling off as it slowly drifted toward his face. Jarlaxle batted the leaf away and turned to look with annoyance at his companion, who had been responsible for the unnatural animation of a long-dead leaf.
    “So, have you become a botanical necromancer?” Jarlaxle asked the human looming over him snarkily.
    “We should get going,” was his dour companions only reply.
    Jarlaxle shaded his brow with one hand as he looked up at the man. The legendary assassin, Artemis Entreri, was outlined by the sun with an aura of gold. His normal dark complexion made into a deeper brown, heavily tanned from the time that they had spent underneath the rays of the past summer’s oppressive sun. With the light shining into his eyes, the drow couldn’t make out his companion’s features, but he knew that Entreri wore a disapproving scowl. Heaving a great sigh, Jarlaxle grumbled, “I don’t suppose I could persuade you to join me?”
    “Not a chance,” Entreri deadpanned.
    Sighing again, Jarlaxle slowly rose into a sitting position. Crossing his legs, he glanced up at the assassin and instructed, “Sit.”
    Entreri shifted his weight from one foot to the other. “Why?”
    “Since you won’t lay down, then sit. Just do it. The sooner you do, the sooner we can be off.”
    Entreri looked at Jarlaxle skeptically but sat down next to the mercenary.
    Jarlaxle let a few moments of quiet linger. A gentle breeze teased at their cloaks and blew a few leaves over them. Entreri stoically brushed away the ones that landed on him. Jarlaxle moved as if he were going to do the same, but instead he tapped one of his buttons that decorated his various fabulous garments. Turning so that he put his body between the human and the view of his exposed container of holding, Jarlaxle pulled out a cake. It was a rather morbid-looking affair, frosted in dark chocolate and lacking any other decoration. However, the drow knew its quality, having ensured that the baker had made it from the finest-ground flour and packed it with fresh preserves of ripe seasonal fruits.
    “What are you doing?” Entreri asked suspiciously, and Jarlaxle realized that he had his back turned to the assassin for longer than was natural to brush off a few leaves. With a grand flourish, he whipped about and held out the cake to his companion. “Happy Birthday Artemis!” he exclaimed.
    The human stared at him incredulously. At first Entreri looked shocked and surprised, then he shook his head and allowed his usual scowl to reappear. “It’s not my birthday. Nor do I know when the thrice-damned day is.” Jarlaxle thought that he had detected a trace of sadness in his friend’s tone, but it could have just as easily been a trick of the light that suffused their comfortable seats.
    “I know, my abbil, but you mentioned that you remember it being sometime before a season of rain. In Calimshan, the rainy season falls between winter and spring, which would mean that you were born in the autumn. Since you don’t remember the exact day, today is as good as any.” Jarlaxle beamed as he finished the explanation of his reasoning.
    Entreri stared awhile at him in disbelief, with an expression that implied that the drow had clearly lost his mind. Abruptly, the assassin laughed mirthlessly. “It amazes me that you were as successful at what you did, when you have room in your head for such nonsense,” he commented dryly. Jarlaxle expected as much from his ever-sullen companion, so he didn’t pay the man much mind as he set the cake down between them and produced a knife, seemingly from nowhere. Entreri’s voice startled him, not because of its suddenness but rather from the barely discernible measure of genuine emotion it contained. “I see that you had it made to look dark and boring. Just the way that I like things.” Jarlaxle looked up to see a half-smile on his friend’s face.
    The drow sighs as he closes his fingers into a fist and drops his hand beside him. That memory feels as though it was something that could have happened yesterday, his current surroundings so reminiscent of that time more than a normal human’s lifetime ago. Despite his knowledge of this, he is startled and momentarily confused as a withered brown leaf suddenly drifts into his vision, edges fraying off in its unnatural fall. In one fluid motion he snatches the leaf from the air and sits bolt upright, only to find himself looking into the bearded face of a grinning dwarf.
    "Did I wake ye, sleeping beauty?”
    Jarlaxle composes himself and chuckles. “Nay, I was simply lost in thought.”
    Athrogate studies him closely for a few breaths before responding, “Lost in yer guilt again, ye mean?”
    Jarlaxle snaps a warning glare at the dwarf before lifting himself to his feet and brushing off his clothes. Rather than replying, he summons his Nightmare steed and mounts it, then looks expectantly at his companion. “We’d best get moving, unless you want to miss the food, music and drinking. I personally have no desire to not eat my fill of apple pie.”
    The black-haired dwarf summoned his demonic boar steed, hopped on and kicked it into motion even as he replied, “When there's drinkin ta be done and food to be ate, then no one 'ere has to wait fer Athrogate! BWAHAHAHAHA!”
    With a hearty laugh himself, the drow mercenary spurs his horse to follow, but not before sparing a moment to gaze back wistfully at his spot beneath the tree branches. The hellish whinny of his Nightmare steed then drowns out all other sounds in the area, but not before Jarlaxle whispers to the wind, “Happy Birthday, Artemis.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/Forgotten_Realms/comments/3j87dz/announcement_writing_competition/cuoswmr