Skip to content

Anyone knows of RPG's without humans, elves and dwarves in it?

KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
After completing yet another run of Generica Pillars of Eternity, I now really need a break from human & Co. infested settings in general. Unfortunately I know of not a single roleplaying game title for the PC, which is completely devoid from the "standard" fantasy races. For example, most often than not "Elves" are just labeled differently (Alf, Alb, Albae, Elb, Mer, Kith, Fey, Fair Folk, w/e), but are otherwise essentially made out of the same stuff. Both racial and cultural. I honestly tire of all that.

Is there really not a single title with only unique non-human/non-humanoid playable races out there? Whenever it's of the Fantasy, Horror, or Sci-Fi genre doesn't matter to me at this point anymore. As long as it's an cRPG/RPG/JRPG/KRPG that allows me to actually *roleplay* a self-created character it's all good.
lolien[Deleted User]Teflon

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    lolien said:

My Little Pony?

I'd call that a survival horror game where one loses the mind. Not really what I was looking for. But thanks anyway. :p
    lolien
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    There used to be lots of PnP games without the generic fantasy races, back in the days when people still had imaginations. I used to play Traveller, FASA's Star Trek and Dr Who, Golden Heroes and WEG Star Wars. Games I was broadly aware of, but didn't actually play include Gamma Word, Boot Hill, Space Opera, Star Frontiers, Champions and Rune Quest (which I don't recall having generic fantasy races, but you could play as a Duck).

These days, I think there are still a few people playing GURPs, Vampire: Masquerade, and Fantasy Flight's Star Wars.
    KamigoroshilolienTeflon
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Animal crossing.
    :tongue:
    KamigoroshiVallmyrTeflon
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Ratchet and Clank?
    Kamigoroshi
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
    Kamigoroshi
    Planescape: Torment is like a goody bag with all walks of life. There are indeed lots of unique races that call Sigil 'home': Bariaurs, tieflings, genasi, aasimar, rogue modrons and gith are all part of its denizens. But even this outstanding setting is filled with planar humans, elves and other "clueless" people. Many of the Hivedwellers, for example, are humans. The Nameless One being one of them... only a tad more deader than others.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! :) As I had expected, finding a fitting RPG is no easy task...

Hm... maybe I will have better luck finding RPG's in which humans went (mostly) extinct?
    Utawarerumono, for instance, had that type of world setting. Probably one of my favourite JRPG franchises ever! And from the looks of it Aquaplus has released Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen this week in Japan. Might as well give it a go and import the game for my PS3. Well, either that or wait for Utawarerumono 3, which was announced not too long ago as well. We'll see.

Oh, and please keep posting game titles that might fit these criteria as well. The more new games are on my shelves, the better!
    lolienTeflonJuliusBorisov
    Riderat said:

What about Planescape Torment? Most of the npc's are some weird undead race.

The setting still includes all the generic fantasy races, by virtue of including EVERYTHING.

• XzanahXzanah Member Posts: 145
    edited September 2015
    One comment, if I may... RACIST! But seriously, all D&D and forgotten realms games have them. Go for something by square enix. They, at least, don't have elves and dwarves. Unfortunately, no self-generated chars. Oh well.
    VallmyrTeflon
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457

You can also make actual faeries (little creatures that fly).

WHAT
    THIS IS A THING?
    brb going to GoG to pick up Wizardry 8.

Wait, do I need to play any other Wizardries beforehand for the story?
    [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Vallmyr
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    I've played a few Wizardry clones and had fun with them so I'm sure the actual thing will be great! n_n
    I'll probs pick up Wizardry 8 and if I enjoy it super hard I'll go back and play 6-7-8 in order.
    [Deleted User]Teflon
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Wow this is teh hardest question I've seen in this forum. In ADVenture games I got one named "inherit the earth". But RPG without BOTH human AND dwarf/elf? I give up.
    KamigoroshiJuliusBorisov[Deleted User]
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    I'm not helping, but your searching made me remember an online/mail fantasy rpg i had been playing as a teenager. It was about a mountain-deep dwelling shape-builder race, the galetki. It's still going, i think, but no english language i fear.
    KamigoroshiTeflonJuliusBorisov
    Vallmyr said:

You can also make actual faeries (little creatures that fly).

WHAT
    THIS IS A THING?
    brb going to GoG to pick up Wizardry 8.

Wait, do I need to play any other Wizardries beforehand for the story?
    Tunnels and Trolls had fairy as a playable race back in the 1980s. I don't think it was ever turned into a crpg though.
    [Deleted User]Vallmyr
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    What about the Deus-Ex series? Or Vampire the masquerade?
    Kamigoroshi
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    LadyRhian said:

If you're talking about Computer RPGs, I'd suggest Geneforge by Spiderweb Software. There are Shapers (who are at least human-esque (along with Agents and Guardians), but every other species in the game is a Shaper Creation, from Fyora, Cryora, and so on. There are Serviles that were created by the Shapers, and there are humans called the Sholai, but most of them are hostile.

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/geneforge/index.html

The Avernum series has humans, but there are also Slithkzerai (lizard beings) and catlike creatures (Nephilim). There is a fourth race you cannot play called Vahnatai, who look rather like aliens and are Psions. It is also available through Spiderweb Software. Every game also includes the GIFTS (Giant, Intelligent, Friendly Talking Spiders).

Aeconded. Spiderweb's games are all really great!
    Kamigoroshi
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    oh i got reminded of a game

the last remnant

no humans in sight, also great game
    Kamigoroshi
    Just your routine, once per 5 years necromantic ritual taking place. Any new takers on this age long question?
    Skatan
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    It's old, but the Final Fantasy Legends games on Gameboy had mutants and monsters. Humans are an option too, but I don't think they're required.
    Kamigoroshi
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    it's gonna be kinda hard to find an rpg that does not have humans in it. they are kinda common.