Skip to content

I am NOT going to buy SoD

Comments

• DanathionDanathion Member Posts: 173
    To cover the costs of professional translation they could bundle the translations in with DLC that everyone is going to buy. SoD should be translated into all the languages BGEE is available in and when the time comes for BG2EE's 'SoD', it could include translations for the whole game.

I don't mind making an extra contribution when I'd already be spending the money and we are all in this together, aren't we?

As an aside, I wouldn't have thought it was that hard to find people fluent in English and French in Canada...
    GemHound
  • JamsethJamseth Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2015
    Same here as well. Won't buy SoD until i got to play bg2:ee with french text translation.
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    It's like you are refusing to taste delicious ice-cream because it's only strawberry and not vanilla.
    Straff
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Danathion said:

As an aside, I wouldn't have thought it was that hard to find people fluent in English and French in Canada...

Outside the province of Quebec and New Brunswick and the National Capital Region, French is rarely used.
    GemHoundJuliusBorisovjackjacksarevok57
  • MaironMairon Member Posts: 18
    Hello,
    I am one of those of the French community will not buy new products Beamdog while we are left out. I played these games most of my childhood and not being able to do so on the improved version 'm bored at the highest level . Consider that we are also very numerous in France look forward to a translation and that the shortfall can be as important for Beamdog . Thanks for reading me.

Bonjour,
    Je fais parti de ceux de la communauté française qui n'achèterons pas de nouveaux produits de Beamdog tant que nous serons laissés de côté. J'ai joué à ces jeux la majorité de mon enfance et ne plus pouvoir le faire sur la version améliorée m'ennuie au plus haut niveau. Prenez en considération que nous sommes aussi très nombreux en france à attendre impatiemment une traduction et que le manque à gagner peut etre aussi très important pour Beamdog. Merci de m'avoir lu.
  • OffenOffen Member Posts: 13
    Beamdog is only a band of thieves
    Yes it is a shame not to include the second most taught language in the world ; but it is easy for you to laugh at those who have nothing , since you, you have everything. How brave ! What guts you are a man !

Oui c'est une honte de ne pas inclure la deuxième langue la plus apprise dans le monde ; mais il est facile pour toi de se moquer de ceux qui n'ont rien, puisque toi, tu as tout. Quel courage ! Quel cran tu es un homme !
  • StraffStraff Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2015
    I am going to buy SoD
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited October 2015
    Being French myself, I fail to understand the so-called shame that would be not giving French translation.
    One should definitely be able to speak English well-enough to understand the game, and it is a great way to improve anyway. Not to mention Beamdog has more important things on which they should focus their attention and budget at the moment, namely SoD.
    And I would mention as well the fact that translating ain't solely a matter of translating a text. You have voice covering to make as well, that requires finding a proper voice actor fitting a character, that requires budget. Beamdog is not Ubisoft, they are a small company with a small team and a small budget, and such work takes time and money, which Beamdog does not necessary have at the moment.
    If Ubisoft released the latest AC without the French translation, then they would deserve complaints indeed, because their status of big company give them much more flexibility compared to a smaller one like beamdog
    brus
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    I empathise with your plight, but I think you need to understand that while Beamdog would absolutely love to provide a proper french/italian/german/spanish/japanese/chinese/korean et al translation for the EE versions of the games, it is probably not commercially viable at this point in time (as in, it would cost them more than they make from sales of the game to get the translations professionally done).

Beamdog doesn't market BG2:EE with those translations available, so I think it's only fair to say you knew what you were getting into. And I agree it's perfectly fine for you to boycott them until such time as they can deliver what you want to purchase.

As a dev myself, we always strive to deliver at least EFIGS + Japanese.. but also we don't have nearly 400000 words to translate into those languages to think about vs the expected sales of our games...

So, I hope it gets done at some point, and I think probably your best bet for the near future is to jump over to the volunteer translation forum and offer to help out if you can.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    I think it really all comes down to this. Was BG2 advertised as being completely available with French translations when it was released? If it was then yeah, @B3N did get scammed. If he bought the product because something was promised that wasn't delivered, and still hasn't been delivered so long after purchase, I would call that scamming someone into buying it.

If that wasn't the case, and it wasn't said to be completely available and supported in French then I think that B3N doesn't really have a leg to stand on. If you want to play a game but know you can't understand/enjoy it unless it is in your language you should really make sure that it is.

As an aside, @WithinAmnesia I gotta say, that video responses to forum posts, especially when they go on for 4-11 minutes, are one of the most unnecessary things I've ever encountered. I'm not sure what you even said in your second post because I could not bring myself to sit through more than 20 seconds of the 11 minute video filled with "Um's" and "Ah's" when the first 4 minute video was so long, drawn out and lacking in any substance... I counted at least 2 long 10-20 second pauses in that video of dead air. Certainly it must be more work to upload that video than it would be to simply write your response.
    WithinAmnesiaDanathion
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    edited October 2015
    @GoodSteve Ah! CriticalSteve Is More Like It!

Yeah, unnecessary yes I do suppose my videos are but I like them; thus they exist for the time being.
    You know Steve, you seem a bit offended by something in this thread. I cannot say what, but you got me thinking about a great number of details about your forum-self.

How did you get your name? Good Steve, my good friend I wonder why you want to be called Good Steve? I find it interesting as to why you also picked the most stereotypical insane character from the Original Baldur's Gate as your forum portrait and then have 'Good' in front of your name. It makes me think a bit about why you did that. Although I may wonder, but I do not belittle.

You know what? I wonder what it would be like to talk to Good Steve. Are you actually Good? Are you actually Evil? Is GoodSteve a nickname? Is GoodSteve an irony? Or is GoodSteve just a one-off kind of thing that does not fully relate to your critical opinion my friend? Who is GoodSteve and why does he, she or it do what he, she or it does here on the forum? I see a critical Opinion and I wonder why and how it came to be.

Who are you? I see text, lines and sentences, opinions but.. Still I wonder about GoodSteve. You know what Steve, if that is your name? Why are we on the forum? Why are we talking to strangers that we will most likely never meet? Why do you go here and why are we all in the same place; The Beam Dog Forums? I may never know the answers to my many questions I ask you herein although if you were to ask myself such manner of questions I would answer as such: I came here to enjoy, connect, share and to be a part of a community of a passion and a depth unto a game of which I have found no equal: The Original Baldur's Gate.

I wonder why you and I are here and also I wonder who are you and what do you perceive unto myself? Although most of all, what kind of fellow Baldur's Gate enthusiast do you wish to hold yourself, within your own image - to become my friend?
    Abel
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Would it be feasible to make a mod that just has all the text run through automated translation software, maybe displayed next to the original text? Obviously it'd be nowhere near as good as a proper translation, but at least it would help people who have trouble following the plot in English.
    wubble
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133
    Not particularly interested in those useless debates or in the guy who thinks he is funny with his videos (you 12 or what dude?) but I would like to echo the sentiment of the OP.

First, some people have mentioned the fact that the French version was never advertised and therefore, nothing fraudulent is going on. They are right, kinda. The original BG series was available translated, BG1EE was translated and on the French forums, a team is working on a proofreading of BG2EE. Of course, it's just an assumption to make that BG2EE will be fully translated but you have to admit that so far, Beamdog's attitude is misleading and everything points towards a translation being available, at some point.

Secondly, being good or bad in English has nothing to do with wanting a translation. I consider myself fluent, having worked for a year in the UK and generally using English a lot professionally. But for the 98% of text that I will perfectly understand, there's always going to be that additional 2% that I'm not sure about, that I could shrug off or alt-tab dictionary look. But on the game as immersive as BG2, that's something I absolutely want to avoid.

So, no anger, no nothing, just a statement. BG2EE has been released for quite a long time now, I bought it but haven't started playing it yet (and god knows how much I wanna try Hexxat!). But I'm not buying anything from you guys that I know I will not use.

PS: I should also mention since It’s been brought up in the thread that I’m 100% fine with the text translated in French but the voices kept in English. As long as it’s consistent and does not break immersion, that’s a compromise I would obviously accept gladly.
    Danathion
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Does anyone know or recall if the other language translations of BG:EE were advertised when the game was first being released? I can't, that wasn't something that was on my radar at the time. I do recall there was advertisement of multiplayer compatibility for BG1 when it was being released and that ended up not actually being implemented until way after release. While I don't think that's as big of a deal breakers as buying the game and not being able to understand any of it, it does show that it may very well be the case that Beamdog advertised it prior to launch, had no intentions of it being in the game day 1 and planned to add it later... like over two years later. Dunno if it's true, like I said, but it if is I can totally understand someone feeling scammed by that.

Quickly @WithinAmnesia , you can call me CriticalSteve if you like. I think more people should be more critical in their lives. Having a critical mind helps you come up with your own well informed ideas on things instead of just going with the flow and believing everything that they're told. There's also nothing wrong with being critical of someone else. I wasn't mean or insulting and perhaps you could use the criticism to help make your videos better.

I'm not sure why you think I'm offended and apparently you're not sure why you think I'm offended either. I can put your worries to ease and let you know that I'm not offended. I really have nothing to be offended about, do I?

My forum name is GoodSteve because my name is Steve Good. In my circle of friends there is more than one Steve so everyone calls me Good Steve as a bit of a joke and a nickname. It's just something that stuck over the years. There's no deeper meaning beyond that. Also, I picked Xzar as my forum portrait because he was my favorite character when I was a teenager and played this game for the first time back on December 21st 1998. I was 13 years old. There's no deeper meaning behind that either... I'm not actually a self realized crazy person who wants to actually portray themself as being a good guy while being a mean and overly critical forum troll, if that's what you were attempting to hint at.

I'm sure that people are on this forum for a multitude of differing reasons, I can't begin to comment on why people go to this forum or any forum. I'm not entirely sure why you would ask me, or what gave you the inclination that was something I'd have some sort of deeper understanding in than yourself. Personally, I visit this forum to learn new things about a game I like while perhaps sharing what knowledge I have about it with others. I also am here to discuss the new iterations of the game. What they're like now, how they can potentially be improved, and how they can be better than the last when they're released.

I don't "perceive unto yourself" very much. I don't know you and wouldn't think the try to understand you on some kind of deep level through the small interaction we've had. I'm also perhaps not as imaginative as you and couldn't dream of speculating on why you chose your forum name or who you truly are as a person. I don't know enough about you to make an informed opinion, so I wont. All I think about you is that I feel your videos are drawn out and pointless. If you really want to respond to people through video format I would suggest editing them, or doing more than a single take. The long pauses as you think of the next thing to say is what is called "dead air," and makes for an incredibly boring experience for your audience. If you truly wish to know more about me, or perhaps have some questions answered that I didn't address here, feel free to send me a PM.
    JuliusBorisovNimranBelgarathMTH
    Good and if not , concretely , instead of talking about your nickname or your response form , rain and good weather : the French translation team has decided to throw in the towel and let it take care Beamdog the problem will he stop there or will it attempt to be done by the developers? To at least try us with a FR original version on non- added texts (even translate the rest with an online dictionary ) , waiting perhaps to reform a volunteer translation team ( since the cost would seem prohibitive ), which count more than people who have more time to devote to it ........ ? We talk meeting or ?

Bon et sinon, concrètement, au lieu de parler de votre pseudo ou de votre forme de réponse, de la pluie et du beau temps : l'équipe de traduction française ayant décidé de jeter l'éponge et de laisser Beamdog se charger d'elle, le problème va t-il en rester là ou un effort va t-il être fait de la part des développeurs ? Afin d'essayer au moins de nous remettre une version FR d'origine sur les textes non rajoutés (quitte à traduire le reste avec un dictionnaire en ligne), en attendant peut-être de reformer une équipe de traduction bénévole (puisque le coût semblerait prohibitif) qui compterait plus de personnes, qui aurait plus de temps à s'y consacrer ........ ? On en parle en réunion ou ?
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    I'm French too, I was a bit disapointed by the non-translation for the EE but => BG1EE is fully doable in french today (new quests too), and BG2 EE is playable in french with a non-official patch (in fact it just replaces the original Fr files from BG2 to BG2EE). Ok new quests/characters are not translated, but 99% is available in French. If you want to play the new content of the that EE, indeed it sucks... I dont know, I didn't play it.

I think something should be done for that (including all other languages, I dont know if there is a german team for ex). More people would buy it if the game was in their language, even if a lot of people speak english good enough to understand dialogues/quests, it still better to play it in your native language.

You, US or English guys, would like to play a game in german? Would you even buy it ? I don't think so
    KamigoroshiGoodSteve
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited October 2015
    Seldar said:

You, US or English guys, would like to play a game in german? Would you even buy it ? I don't think so

I know people who got japanesse version of Dark souls and they know zero japanesse.
    It all comes down to your desire to play the game.
    illathid
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Seldar said:

You, US or English guys, would like to play a game in german? Would you even buy it ? I didn't think so

Probably not unless I was attempting to learn the language. But if the German company releasing said game wants to tap into a much broader and larger market, they would weigh the cost of translating thier product with future sales and may even charge more for an translated version. All you have to do is look at Nintendo's model of releasing games to understand this.

It all comes back to cost and demand. The cost needs to be equal or less than the demand for it for a company to even consider adding it. A professionally done translation, as mentioned can run very high for a text heavy game like BG2. The additional sales the translation would provide wouldn't even come close to covering the cost of it.

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited October 2015
    Seldar said:

No, I wouln't buy it, but it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I certainy wouldn't use what little German I have to go on a German forum and rant about it.

I don't expect the world to revolve around me.
    illathid
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    There sure is a lot of disagreement in this thread about whether the lack of a translation is worth getting upset about. It's starting to go in a rather absurd direction, though. For people who enjoyed the original games in French, not having the Enhanced Edition in French is certainly less than ideal, and people certainly have a right to speak up if this upsets them. It would be great if they could do so without being patronized. We're all gamers here, folks.

Now, if someone were to get up in arms because we didn't release a game in the language of Hodor...
    elminstercmk24jackjack
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Personally, I feel that Beamdog has tackled the BG2:EE localizations from the wrong angle. Instead of re-translating everything from scratch, it would have taken far less manpower, time and money to simply use the original non-English BG2 dialogue files as base and solely concentrate of translating the EE exclusive content. That way, BG2:EE wouldn't only be limited in English, German and Spanish. But be available in France, Polish and the Russian language as well. Still not as linguistic developed as BG:EE currently is, but it would had made for a better release non the less.

Of course it's nice to have new fan voice acting going on (in fact, I believe the newly recorded German voices for BG:EE are much better than the original English ones). But it's more important to get the text out for the base games first. Just like BG2:EE has currently an German localization with English voice acting.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Kamigoroshi What you describe is pretty close to what's being done now, actually.

The thing that slows localization down at the moment is, as it has always been, the fact that most of our translations are operated by teams of (awesome, stellar, infinitely underappreciated) volunteers, who are doing the work they're doing because they love the game, not because they're being paid to stick to a schedule.

There's been separate discussions about whether people agree with that decision, but that's how the Enhanced Edition content is getting translated for the majority of the languages that are still waiting.

I don't want to get too deep into discussion about the strategies of game localization. Questions about whether or not "Siege" will be translated into French at release (or ever, or on a specific timeline) are valid ones, and bringing it up on our forums is absolutely the best way to let us know you care about the issue.
    joluvcmk24rorikon
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    edited October 2015
    I don't really care what you do or do not do with your money, regardless of reason. Maybe bringing up the lack of translation instead of pulling up a clickbait thread topic title would make me care a bit more.