Skip to content

I am NOT going to buy SoD

13»

Comments

• MaironMairon Member Posts: 18
    I'll ask the question : Would it be technically possible to reintroduce the original translation for all non- added content? Or it would be too complicated ? Maybe you tell us more about how to find a solution because we understand perfectly that a professional translation would be financially completely delusional .

Je vais reposer la question : serait-il techniquement possible de réintroduire la traduction originale pour tout le contenu non rajouté ? Ou cela serait trop compliqué ? Peut-être pourriez vous nous en dire plus sur comment trouver une solution car nous comprenons parfaitement qu'une traduction professionnelle serait complètement délirant financièrement.
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133
    That is already possible, you can find the explanations on how to do it on the French forums.
    But that is not an acceptable solution for you end up with a mix of French and English in the dialogues and it sucks big times in terms of immersion...
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I can't speak to what our internal plans are, but a mixed English/French translation seems like a poor solution. As @Mera mentioned, there are ways to get that unofficially, but in terms of official translations it's better to wait until the thing is finished before releasing it.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    brus said:

I know people who got japanesse version of Dark souls and they know zero japanesse.
    It all comes down to your desire to play the game.

The japanese version is also voiced in english. Bad example.
    Especially because DS1 isnt as text based as Baldurs Gate.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    edited October 2015
    in 1997 they released Final Fantasy Tactics on ps1, I was 14 years old, only an american version, game was in black and white coze no original cd with no proper video cable, did not understand anything since it was in english. And yet best game I played on console since then. Be happy, you probably played BG2 in the past at least even if you don't have a decent english, you can somehow catch up with what the hell is going on. Which was not my case at all -_-

Blue Guy : !@#$#%$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Red Guy : (&%&*(%^%$^@#%!#%$#$%@ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Blue Guy : aaaaaaaaaa.......
    Red Guy : %$#^%

Ok blue guy is dead, somehow they had a dispute about something... I guess...

For a rpg the story can be as good as you want, ultimately what makes you like the game is the mechanics. Even if it's in chinese I'll get it anytime. I understand you are disappointed for Beamdog not meeting your expectations, but that's no reason to not buy a game you like.
  • OffenOffen Member Posts: 13
    it is a very good reason !
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    lel.... playing a RPG without understanding the story... what a challenge...

Look witcher 3, most of the fights are too easy once you reach level 15, and then the whole game would be very boring with only repetitive fights. But, the story is outstanding, and for me, it became more pleasant to finish the plot than farming mobs to gain XP.

I don't know yet if I will buy SoD, I think I could understand most of the dialogues/quests, but also I can understand that people prefer play a game in their language, despite a great game mechanics
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Seldar said:

lel.... playing a RPG without understanding the story... what a challenge...

Look witcher 3, most of the fights are too easy once you reach level 15, and then the whole game would be very boring with only repetitive fights. But, the story is outstanding, and for me, it became more pleasant to finish the plot than farming mobs to gain XP.

I don't know yet if I will buy SoD, I think I could understand most of the dialogues/quests, but also I can understand that people prefer play a game in their language, despite a great game mechanics

Agreed. Kind of like Dragon Age Origins. The best games are ones where the story is what drives you. I admit...I actually turned the game down to 'easy' because I was tired of struggling through fights and just wanted to see the dialogue and watch how the story unfolded. To me, that was more fun than the mechanics.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Why do people use a Youtube video to post a forum reply, when all they do is talk? That's honestly extremely ignorant. There are huge gaps in the video without you saying anything. The only reason I can think of you wanting to use a youtube video is to earn some revenue from people watching your video, and that is honestly lame. I didn't bother checking out the entire video, because I'm not going to waste 4 minutes and 20 seconds on a video, that, when written in a post, would take far less time to read.

Not to mention that people may not have audio available at their current location (at work) or limited bandwidth (on their phone in the bus/train). As mentioned above, it's hard to translate voice, and in addition, some people may have poor hearing or even be deaf. That normally doesn't cause any issues when browsing a forum. Why start now?

Youtube is not the be all, end all way to bring information across. Heck, it's a very inefficient way to bring information across. If what's on the screen doesn't matter, text posts are much more convenient to scroll through. If a few pictures suffice, then just make a post that includes some reference images. Both of those are much more convenient for the target audience. Only in rare cases does making things into a movie be more convenient, like fully montaging or demontaging a complex object such as a machine, and then it still needs to be done properly.

So, no, using youtube to reply to a forum post doesn't make you cool, it makes you lame, and causes lots of people to skip your message entirely, because it's too much of a pain to listen to it.
  • ThaxllssillyiaThaxllssillyia Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2016
    I first played Baldur's Gate before I had any sort of fluency in the English language. Video games in general have been a great help in expanding my vocabulary. Given that it appears you already understand English, why not consider playing the game in its original language?

I mean, would you rather read a novel as the author intended, or in someone else's approximation of that?
  • OffenOffen Member Posts: 13
    Fuck you beamdog
  • B3NB3N Member Posts: 150
    I have created this topic 2years ago after having waited during 2years... Here we are ! 4years later and still nothing: FUCK YOU BEAMDOG !