Skip to content

Totem druid vs shapeshifter

So right now I can't choose between the two, I know a lot of the the strengths and weaknesses about the shapeshifter, Bahamut knows there is enough topics talking about how it doesn't even come close to the werewolves we fight in advantages. What I don't know is how does it compete with the totem druid in comparison really. No, I'm not multiclassing so I don't care how it compares there.
.I mostly plan to run it through the black pits and then play the character in BG2.

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    If you play with SCS, Shapeshifter can be a lot of fun. It's an excellent class even without SCS, but it's much more of a hassle. I'd recommend the Totemic Druid if you don't use SCS, and Shapeshifter if you do.

Basically, your Shapeshifter can tank enemies and deal damage him or herself. Your Totemic Druid has summons to tank and deal damage instead. The former is a little stronger defensively; the latter is a little stronger offensively.
    JuliusBorisov
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @semiticgod
    Yea, I'm not using scs, the summoning is what actually has me interested in totemic druid.
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    Shapeshifter is nice... Werewolf form for normal battles and early game with full druid casting for late game and very tough enemies.
    My problem. With shape shifter is, it takes away all other forms. Really, I could understand if we had the advantages as the enemy in ours, but I don't feel losing some of the other forms is worth it sometimes.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The Spirit summons rule supreme! As soon as you get the 10th level, they'll be immense. Until the 10th level these summons are also handy and useful, able to deal with nearly everything the unmodded game throws at you.

Choose the Totemic Druid to use your magic while the summons fight enemies in melee.

I'm a bit biased, you know :)
    semiticgoddessBlackraven
    @bengoshi
    The reason I'm leaning towards the TD is because I do kind of want to throw wave of summons at people. I've already done it many times with a mage, and druids have elemental summons which looks fun.
    JuliusBorisov
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    Werewolf and gww are better fighters than the other druid forms. That said if you want a summoner is hard to beat totemic druid. Late game any druid ticks that box however with elemental princes.