Skip to content

New-Gen RPGS:Why all the hate?

Can someone explain to me why so many oldschool RPG fans hate most modern RPG videogames, especially the Fallout games made by Bethesda?(Looking at you No Mutants Allowed)

If it wasn't for Bethesda, Fallout would have probably ended up like Baldur's Gate, a semi-obscure PC-only game overshadowed by JRPGs instead of getting the prays it deserves. Don't get me wrong though, the BG series is still one of my favourite videogames, and i would pay to have Chris Avellone writing more mainstream games, but i find the attitude of these oldschool fans to be pretty obnoxious.

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I think it goes both ways. I'm sure plenty of people who prefer the new games would look down on the old ones, just like a lot of old hands look down on the new games. But since the old games don't pop up in the news, they receive less attention and therefore less criticism.

The kids today are just as critical as the old people are, but the old people's games aren't discussed as much.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Alot of older RPGs were incredibly difficult affairs that not only didn't hold your hand when crossing the street, they didn't even tell you where the street was. Games like the original Wizardry and Might and Magic are painfully difficult. Eventually things progressed to a happy medium in the Fallout/Baldur's Gate era. Anyone can play those games with enough patience.

Even the original BG didn't tell you much info. But there were no map markers. Made it so that you literally may end up looking through every house in Baldur's Gate looking for someone. :)
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited November 2015

Can someone explain to me why so many oldschool RPG fans hate most modern RPG videogames, especially the Fallout games made by Bethesda?(Looking at you No Mutants Allowed)

You mean the Fallout 3? The game is OK storywise but lacking in the gameplay. 90% of it is mediocre shooter. Pursuing quests and story is fine. And performance was terrible at the time I played it.
    Basically, I think most players don't hate modern RPG's if they are well made and challenging.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    elminster said:

Alot of older RPGs were incredibly difficult affairs that not only didn't hold your hand when crossing the street, they didn't even tell you where the street was. Games like the original Wizardry and Might and Magic are painfully difficult. Eventually things progressed to a happy medium in the Fallout/Baldur's Gate era. Anyone can play those games with enough patience.

Even the original BG didn't tell you much info. But there were no map markers. Made it so that you literally may end up looking through every house in Baldur's Gate looking for someone. :)
    Very true, but even on my first play, BG never felt like something I couldn't finish, and no fights seemed like something another level, or combo of spells, or wands or potions couldn't fix. The dungeon crawlers have always been in a different league difficulty-wise. Part of this is the fact that I've never been able to wrap my head around mapping, and how disorienting moving one grid and direction at a time in a twisted maze can be. But Dungeon Master, the first 4 Wizardry games, Might and Magic 1 and 2, and the Bard's Tale Trilogy are mind-numbing in their difficulty. Eye of the Beholder came along and made things a little better, but that game is a still a damn good challenge.

The long string of SSI games were essentially a bridge difficulty-wise to the BG/Fallout era, and from there things only got easier. I'm sure everyone here could beat Skyrim or New Vegas given the hours needed to do so. I doubt a 1/10th as many could ever manage to dig deep enough into Wizardry 4 or Secret of the Inner Sanctum to come out on top.

• TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    My problem with newer cRPGs is the same as with the new movies. Mainstream products most of the time nowadays treat their audience like idiots. I don't like to be treated like that, I want to use my brain when playing a cRPG. Whether it'll be to immerse myself, wonder about some cryptic dialogue, or trying to survive a difficult encounter.

If the developer puts the dialogue options in a circle indicating which is good, or evil - is downright offensive to me in a cRPG. Just call it a hack'n'slash, or a shooter, but if it's meant to be a cRPG, then I won't bother with it. There are plenty older games that I haven't played yet and may be in fact a hidden gem that was overshadowed by bigger productions. Anvil of Dawn is an example for me, I only played it 13 years after its release and it has become one of my favourite games.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I don't "hate" new-gen-rpgs. But I prefer old school games. There's a big difference.

Also, it's a mistake to get all new RPGs into one place. For example, PoE is a wonderful game while this cannot be said about SCL.

If I had to choose one thing of new rpgs that I "hate", it would be a "consolification". I enjoyed Dragon Age 3: Inquisition because of its story, characters and many-many things but the unfriendly controls for a PC did lessen my evaluation of that game a lot.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @Skatan
    Simplified mechanics can add to the gameplay, but it is worth to notice that the examples you used can be very subjective. For once, one can argue that CoD auto-regenerating health makes gameplay more dynamic, but other can state that it actually slows the game down (as you wait in your covers for your health to regenerate) and makes game more linear, as exploration is not important anymore. On the other hand, once could say that some builds element like life leech in Diablo were dumbed down, but the other also can say they you can't spam potions in D3 and you have to be more active in combat (in D2 with good LL you could just kept one mouse button pressed and not being worried dying in most cases).

Point: it is subjective whether simplifying is good or bad. It can be looked two-ways.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

If it wasn't for Bethesda, Fallout would have probably ended up like Baldur's Gate, a semi-obscure PC-only game overshadowed by JRPGs instead of getting the prays it deserves. Don't get me wrong though, the BG series is still one of my favourite videogames, and i would pay to have Chris Avellone writing more mainstream games, but i find the attitude of these oldschool fans to be pretty obnoxious.

I wouldn't call Bethesda games "modern". Elder Scrolls: Arena came out before Baldur's Gate, and Bethesda's games have stuck to pretty much the same gameplay ever since, just updating the graphics or changing the setting.

As for Fallout, I didn't particularly like the BG style first and second instalments either: the setting simply doesn't appeal to me.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited November 2015
    Old or new, new or old, well here is my take on it. Newer is not always better and nostalgia is not always stupid, but a lot of the time newer is better and nostalgia is just a bunch of lies we tell ourselves.

There are many great new rpgs that have had tonnes more praise than hate thrown their way even by the old school crowd. Dark Souls, Witcher series, Dragon age, PoE and hell even Skyrim" Although on that one I still maintain that it is a terrible game if played in it's vanilla state and a amazing game if played with about 50 gigs of mods installed."

BG2 was my favorite game for 15 yrs because I felt nothing in that time could come close to it. "Witcher 3 now holds that title, mostly because of it's great story and solid gameplay, also a little bit because I am a huge Witcher nerd." Is BG2 or planescape or Icewind the best game of all time? probably not.

When looking at Bethesda titles Fallout in particular, I can fully understand why people would be upset over their beloved Isometric CRPG turning into a sandbox shooter, but sometimes things like this happen and it's not like their isn't a huge fairly new isometric CRPG set in a post-apocalyptic dystopian world that you can play right now, I'm talking of course about Wasteland 2. @O_Bruce I have to agree with you that Bethesda's doesn't exactly hire the best writers, they are really almost as bad as Blizzard's writers, but I'm not gonna be playing Fallout 4 for a deep and meaningful story, If I wanted a deep and meaningful story I would play dragon age, mass effect, witcher 3 or banner saga. I'm going to be playing fallout 4 to hit a super mutant in the head with a spiked baseball bat, I'm going to be playing fallout 4 to put hand grenades in the pockets of NPCs I don't like and I'm going to be playing fallout 4 to see whats the stupidest way dogmeat can get himself killed. Fallout 3 and new vegas were pretty damn good games, in my opinion, that's largely to do with the amazing sound track and the mind blowingly awesome modding community. In fact I would go so far as to say I like the sandbox of Fallout 3 over the original two, mostly because Fallout1 and 2's gameplay annoyed me. I kinda of just hate guns in isometric CRPGs.

On the whole I'm really excited to see which direction RPGs take in the next few years, looking at the last few years with all of it's dragon ages, mass effects, dark souls, and witchers, I have to say I'm feeling pretty damn optimistic about it all.
    Nostalgia isn't stupid, but it is selective. The past is a big place, there is bond to be some really good stuff that is remembered, along with a pile of stuff best forgotten.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    edited November 2015
    I don't think it is only nostalgia. There are some development in modern rpgs which are directly tied to technology.

Some examples:

I think most games using 3D is partly responsible for the small party sizes which we have now. Larger parties allow for more tactical combat and more varied and still essential roles.

Full voice acting is responsible for dialogue often being shorter than it used to be; the cost for voice acting is still a limitation. This one is getting better, at least hard drive space is no longer much of an issue.

There are also some conventions from MMORPG like WOW leaking into modern rpgs. You can see this in a focus on general class balancing, high "dps" rogues, tanking,... you can even this on these focus.

Another relatively thing I see is a morality view that is a bit naive. People want a good and an evil path throught the game, but most RPGs do not take place in the Star Wars university so there should be more gray. Again, this is something I see on these forums with many people wanting to have everyone in their party to have the same alignment (well on the good-evil axis). Makes you miss the Korgan-Mazzy banter (as an example).
    Technology doesn't force games to be 3D or have full voice acting...

Morally Black and White vs morally grey RPGs have always been with us, there is nothing inherently new or old about either approach.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    @O_Bruce
    O_Bruce said:

@Skatan
    Simplified mechanics can add to the gameplay, but it is worth to notice that the examples you used can be very subjective. For once, one can argue that CoD auto-regenerating health makes gameplay more dynamic, but other can state that it actually slows the game down (as you wait in your covers for your health to regenerate) and makes game more linear, as exploration is not important anymore. On the other hand, once could say that some builds element like life leech in Diablo were dumbed down, but the other also can say they you can't spam potions in D3 and you have to be more active in combat (in D2 with good LL you could just kept one mouse button pressed and not being worried dying in most cases).

Point: it is subjective whether simplifying is good or bad. It can be looked two-ways.

True. I was of course writing out of my own personal views. I think it's non-debatable though that CoD was a huge success and that the game mechanics, whether you, me or someone else dislike them, was perfect for that game. CoD was never about exploration, CoD was never about finding boxes of hearts or secret rooms with treasures. CoD was about maximizing the feeling of being the protagonist in a hollywood blockbuster action movie, and in that aspect CoD was the best game made 'til that date.

My point when compairing D3 vs Cod was that in one of them I enjoyed the simplification of the game mechanincs, but in the other one I didn't.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    edited November 2015
    O_Bruce said:

The first post made me facepalm pretty hard. Man, I know that you can have some legitimate questions, but I think that's not the case here. It's likely you just don't like Fallout 4 being bashed

"(Can someone explain to me why so many oldschool RPG fans hate most modern RPG videogames, especially the Fallout games made by Bethesda?)"

"If it wasn't for Bethesda, Fallout would have probably ended up like Baldur's Gate, a semi-obscure PC-only game overshadowed by JRPGs instead of getting the prays it deserves."

Those two sentences have it all. Let me explain this into you. I don't hate the new Fallout games because of nostalgia or other insignificant factor like that. I don't hate them because of being more simple (not always simple is bad). I hate newer Fallouts it because gameplay-wise nothing reminds me of Fallout, because isometric rpg was made FPS sandbox and because Bethesda's writers are apes (after skull trepanation) who are unable to write interesting story or characters.

But yeah, ignore all this and just get on a hype train. Just like Bethesda's PR wants you to.

Why do you have to be so aggressive? I like FO 1 and 2 as much as the next guy(even if they are frustrating at times) and i do agree that Bethesda needs to improve in the storytelling department, but theres no need to call me a retard in order to explain your point of view.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I agree with @bengoshi about this issue. I don't hate new generation games, I just don't enjoy them as much as I enjoy old school classics.

Games that go too far towards consolization and simplification bore me. I've gotten to where if I read a seeming consensus online that a new crpg is meant for consoles first and computers second, I don't buy it, because I can be almost certain it won't interest me enough to play it for enough hours to justify the cost.

So, for example, I played and enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins, although I've had little or no interest in replaying it after the first and only time I beat it. I never bought Dragon Age 2 or Dragon Age: Inquisition, and I probably never will, unless I see them for around $5 on Steam or Gog and feel like making a small impulse buy just to have them in my collection.

I loved Morrowind for awhile, and I played it for many, many hours over a few months one time, but have not wanted to play it again. I bought Oblivion and Skyrim, and both of them started boring me to tears only a few hours in.

On the other hand, I still can get nearly obsessed with runs of either Baldur's Gate or Might and Magic 6-8, even after 17 years of playing them. I don't think a single one of those 17 years has gone by that I haven't played at least one run of each of those four games. There is more to that than nostalgia, although pleasant feelings of nostalgia are probably part of it. There is something about the epic nature of those games, and the complexity of the character-building systems in those games, and the combat systems in those games, that compels me in a way that few if any games after ever have.

I'd say we definitely lost something valuable along the way in game development over the past 15 years.
  • Lezard_ValethLezard_Valeth Member Posts: 70
    edited November 2015
    Because they're different. Times have changed and the RPG genre has turned into a more linear affair. Fallout 3 is the perfect example of this, as you can still create your character and roleplay to an extent, the game is still deceptively linear. For example, you can't traverse the overworld without going through sewers and subway systems; places that look accessible by walking are blocked by invisible barriers; there are normally only 1 or 2 ways to complete a quest, thereby making the game more black/white than RPGs that came before it.

Now this isn't necessarily a problem for me. I play JRPGS as well as CRPGS, and many other genres. I'm used to linearity in games, especially since JRPGS are the most linear "RPGs" you'll ever find (RPG is almost a misnomer when referring to a JRPG, to be honest), but I can see how these changes could turn some people off.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    edited November 2015

O_Bruce said:

The first post made me facepalm pretty hard. Man, I know that you can have some legitimate questions, but I think that's not the case here. It's likely you just don't like Fallout 4 being bashed

"(Can someone explain to me why so many oldschool RPG fans hate most modern RPG videogames, especially the Fallout games made by Bethesda?)"

"If it wasn't for Bethesda, Fallout would have probably ended up like Baldur's Gate, a semi-obscure PC-only game overshadowed by JRPGs instead of getting the prays it deserves."

Those two sentences have it all. Let me explain this into you. I don't hate the new Fallout games because of nostalgia or other insignificant factor like that. I don't hate them because of being more simple (not always simple is bad). I hate newer Fallouts it because gameplay-wise nothing reminds me of Fallout, because isometric rpg was made FPS sandbox and because Bethesda's writers are apes (after skull trepanation) who are unable to write interesting story or characters.

But yeah, ignore all this and just get on a hype train. Just like Bethesda's PR wants you to.

Why do you have to be so aggressive? I like FO 1 and 2 as much as the next guy(even if they are frustrating at times) and i do agree that Bethesda needs to improve in the storytelling department, but theres no need to call me a retard in order to explain your point of view.
    He didn't call you a retard. He was snippy, yes, but writing aggressively is very different from name-calling.

I also don't understand why you think JRPGs are somehow overshadowing Baldur's Gate. You know what else overshadows BG? Call of Duty. Fallout. Dragon Age. Yes, some Final Fantasy titles. Madden Football. Street Fighter. Bejeweled and Super Smash Bros. If we're going off of commercial success, dozens of games from dozens of other genres do better than the BG series. You don't have to keep picking on JRPGs like they're some master race meant to be overthrown.

As for an answer to your question, I don't hate newer RPG titles. I enjoy quite a few of them actually. I think I'm just not as attracted to buying them anymore because I simply don't have the time that I had when I was younger. I played Skyrim, a little bit of Dragon Age: Origins, about halfway into Tales of Graces F, and the most recent Fire Emblem and Pokemon titles. That's really it as far as newer games go. Not that I dislike or don't wish to continue some of these titles, but I just don't have the time for them anymore. Being an adult and all that.

And I have a backlog the size of a mountain comprised of older titles I have yet to play too.

Soooooo there's that. If I have the choice of going out and buying a new game to play versus playing an older title in my Steam library I haven't gotten around to yet, guess which one I'm gonna pick?

O_Bruce said:

He didn't call you a retard. He was snippy, yes, but writing aggressively is very different from name-calling.

I also don't understand why you think JRPGs are somehow overshadowing Baldur's Gate. You know what else overshadows BG? Call of Duty. Fallout. Dragon Age. Yes, some Final Fantasy titles. Madden Football. Street Fighter. Bejeweled and Super Smash Bros. If we're going off of commercial success, dozens of games from dozens of other genres do better than the BG series. You don't have to keep picking on JRPGs like they're some master race meant to be overthrown.

As for an answer to your question, I don't hate newer RPG titles. I enjoy quite a few of them actually. I think I'm just not as attracted to buying them anymore because I simply don't have the time that I had when I was younger. I played Skyrim, a little bit of Dragon Age: Origins, about halfway into Tales of Graces F, and the most recent Fire Emblem and Pokemon titles. That's really it as far as newer games go. Not that I dislike or don't wish to continue some of these titles, but I just don't have the time for them anymore. Being an adult and all that.

And I have a backlog the size of a mountain comprised of older titles I have yet to play too.

Soooooo there's that. If I have the choice of going out and buying a new game to play versus playing an older title in my Steam library I haven't gotten around to yet, guess which one I'm gonna pick?
    I was speaking only in RPG terms and not every videogame genre, also i used to get trolled by some FF fans who hated western rpgs on Facebook.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    For me personally, I don't "Hate" games, certainly not because of when they came out. I liked Fallout 3 a lot and fully intend to like and obsess about Fallout 4.

Some of what @typo_tilly said did resonate with me though. There is a much higher focus on smaller "One size fits all" groups or individual characters that can do anything and everything than in the old days. I like most particularly Wizards and the like to be unique and different enough from the other characters that playing them is actually a unique experience. This focus on every character can fill any role just feels watered down "To me".

There is also a much stronger focus on real time over turn based gameplay. I am not a spring chicken anymore and my reflexes aren't what they used to be. But I never was very good at games like Doom even when I was young. The twitch style of shooter games where survival (and success) was significantly more a factor of how fast your fingers are and not as much (although still some) on what strategy you used just leave me cold.

And the whole focus on 1st person/3rd person seems a bit unnecessary, but integral to how a lot of the games are made these days.

Finally, although I do enjoy social interaction, I don't like my games to require them. I've recently spend a LOT of time playing Dark Souls. While not a typical RPG per say, and pretty much the antithesis of what I've described thus far, I did enjoy (both) games. What I did NOT enjoy was the really heavy focus on online play and specifically PVP. Know what? There are a lot of people out there with a lot more time on their hands than I have. They have learned that ruining someone's gaming experience is fun and so they do that at every opportunity. Not what I sign up for. And no, the solution isn't 'Just play off line'. I LIKE Coop play and helping others. I don't like some ijjiot invading my game with twice the levels and a lot better equipment simply because they are bored and want to build their own self esteem.

But enough of my soap box.

in the end, I like the more recent RPG games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls and that whole genre. I do really REALLY like the party based (isometric or 3D) games like BG much more and wish there were more like that, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the newer stuff.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Morrowind and Skyrim are both excellent examples of recent games that accomplished a lot in the field of world building. Morrowind has one of the single most unique settings I've ever heard of, moving away from standard fantasy tropes--without doing the easy thing and just flipping them upside down (orcs are good and humans are evil; prophecy is wrong; paladin is jerk). It felt like a truly different world.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited November 2015
    The only thing I really hate is the rise of MMORPGs following WoWs release and the ''toxic'' influence it had on some rpg design. I'm probably one of those who clap and smile when I hear a new mmo has tanked and had to shut down its servers.

That is just my opinion though and I know a lot of people have fond memories from them.

A lot of good replies in this thread though.
    batoor said:

The only thing I really hate is the rise of MMORPGs following WoWs release and the ''toxic'' influence it had on some rpg design. I'm probably one of those who clap and smile when I hear a new mmo has tanked and had to shut down its servers.

That is just my opinion though and I know a lot of people have fond memories from them.

I'm not a MMORPG person either.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

There's a reason why they dropped the RPG from MMO.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    From what i read, No Mutants Allowed is basically to Fallout what Cosmic Book News is to Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy. I always have good time reading Timelord's vitriolic reviews of Brian Bendis and Jeph Loeb's take on Nova and the Guardians.
    Here's some of them to see what i mean.

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/cosmic-triune

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/cosmic-triune-re-launching-marvel-cosmic-opinion-editorial-article

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/op-ed-marvel-pseudo-cosmic-decline-marvel-cosmic-under-alonso-brevoort-quesada-whacker-bendi

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/review-nova-1-loeb-mcguinness

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/review-guardians-galaxy-16-bendis
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676

batoor said:

Yeah I meant nothing personal to anyone here, just to make that clear. It's just some mild bitterness at one aspect of the industry over the years^^