Skip to content

Greatest achievement

What is your most notable bg achievement

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    well now adays for me, its just trying to finish the game without rerolling a new character or party, I am pretty guilty for the rerollitis that some of us are infected with, but back in the vanilla days I would say my biggest achievement was doing the windspear hills quest right away killing firkraag right away and having the holy avenger legitimately at level 9 was awesome, doing the copper cohornet quest with carsomyr was just so many lolz :)
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    Playing through BG1 without thief until chapter 5, while the party was: PC bard, Arkanis, Jaheira and Garrick, then joined by Skie and Alora. That playthrough is still not finished and it will probably end up my most difficult one so far.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    You know, I'm not the greatest player, neither will I ever brag (seriously anyway) to be one. I'm not the best tactician and certainly not a good roleplayer.

However, without a doubt in my mind, I can brag about knowing pretty much everything there is to know, mechanically, quest or otherwise, about Baldur's Gate 1 - and there's likely a couple hundreds of people that can brag about the same thing.
    The biggest advantage about this is that I can plan a route that is mostly safe and makes a solo character strong enough to face off 95% of the game without issues when you encounter them. I can also complete any quest or sidequest in a rather short time - I'm certainly not speedrun material, but I can finish everything there is to the game in one sitting, if I am that resolute.

The downside of course is simple - there's nothing new to discover. The novelty of going like "OH MY GOOOOD" is there no more. If I don't know a thing, I may simply have forgotten it - to the point that if I search an answer on google, I will likely be brought to a thread I replied here on these forums. My mind is *not* the greatest :D

I wish I could say the same about Baldur's Gate 2 or Icewind Dale, but I certainly don't have nearly as much knowledge in those games than I do for Baldur's Gate 1. If someone goes "what's the beggar in the bridge district good for?" I'll be like "There's a beggar?"
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Killing all incarnations of Aec'letec.
    Far more difficult than any bg2 challenge as far as I am concerned.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

If someone goes "what's the beggar in the bridge district good for?" ...

Dancing, obviously!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Killing the vampiric wolf in the first area with just imoen and myself (bard) at level one.

It was short lived as a diseased gibberling got lucky on the next encounter.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    Soloing an assassin through BG1 and to the Underdark in BG2 without reloads. Not as good as the one @bengoshi has though.
    deltago said:

Killing the vampiric wolf in the first area with just imoen and myself (bard) at level one.

WTF? Certainly there are wolves in that area, but a vampiric wolf? Are you certain?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

deltago said:

WTF? Certainly there are wolves in that area, but a vampiric wolf? Are you certain?
    I say a vampiric wolf in the are north of nashkiel that has the 6 hobgoblins in it, and the bloodstone amulet, so I guess every once in a while they can appear in low level maps

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited November 2015
    @Cheesebelly reading your post made me feel like someone was describing my experience.

I suppose my greatest achievement so far was my Dwarven Defender, with whom I completed the whole EE saga for the second time. He was frankly ridiculous.

With him, I beat Sarevok on a one-on-one fight. I beat Firkraag, the shadow dragon and Draconis without needing to reload a single time. In fact, that was the case on most boss fights (except for Abazigal and Sendai, which gave me some trouble).
    sarevok57 said:

deltago said:

I say a vampiric wolf in the are north of nashkiel that has the 6 hobgoblins in it, and the bloodstone amulet, so I guess every once in a while they can appear in low level maps

Yes, I've met a vampiric wolf in that location, a couple of times - if it appears at all, it's just to the north of where Mr Colquetle's family amulet is found.

But I've never seen one in the first area outside Candlekeep, so I'm quite surprised by that report.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264

sarevok57 said:

deltago said:

Yes, I've met a vampiric wolf in that location, a couple of times - if it appears at all, it's just to the north of where Mr Colquetle's family amulet is found.

But I've never seen one in the first area outside Candlekeep, so I'm quite surprised by that report.
    I can only assume that @deltago meant a dread wolf. There are no vampiric wolves in that area and the only magic weapon he could have possibly possessed at the time would have been the +1 dagger.

My own brag is that I took down 3 ankhegs with just my level 1 Ranger/Cleric and level 1 Imoen. Then later in the same run my Ranger/Cleric took out a vampiric wolf in the map north of Nashkel all by himself. He had to fight it alone since only he had magical weapons that were needed to harm it.

Another boast I have (really nothing special to me) is that I always go to complete Durlag's tower as soon as my characters start to reach level 7. Apparently most people wait till much later...

I also went to Watcher's Keep really early once and did quite a lot of it at a relatively low level.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I don't have much to brag about, compared to many others in here, I'm probably more of a casual player. I still manage to forget about certain traps all the time, hehe..

But I am quite proud that I actually finished a full run through BG recently without rerolling a new char. Haven't done that in years. Took some godly discipline, something I'm not known to possess normally.
    Tresset said:

Another boast I have (really nothing special to me) is that I always go to complete Durlag's tower as soon as my characters start to reach level 7. Apparently most people wait till much later...

I've sometimes cleared the tower (above-ground) part of Durlag's at that stage (such as my last completed run through BG1ee, when I needed that Tome of WIS early to dual-class my Berserker into a Druid), but I'm assuming you mean the labyrinth below as well. In which case, that's pretty good going, I always leave the underground section until nearer the end.

Tresset said:

I've sometimes cleared the tower (above-ground) part of Durlag's at that stage (such as my last completed run through BG1ee, when I needed that Tome of WIS early to dual-class my Berserker into a Druid), but I'm assuming you mean the labyrinth below as well. In which case, that's pretty good going, I always leave the underground section until nearer the end.
    @Gallowglass Yeah, I mean everything; including the demonknight and Aec. Of course, by the time I am done my characters are no longer level 7. I usually grind on the skeleton warrior trap until my characters are max level before moving on in the tor, which I guess is pretty hardcore too. (note: I disagree with the devs making it a 1 time only trap so I have changed it back to a repeating trap in my game.)
    @Tresset - I disarm all the traps rather than walking into them, so I don't know much about what effects each trap has. Which trap is the skeleton warrior trap?
    @Gallowglass it is the one on the fake stairway on the trapdoor and doppelganger level of the tor. When triggered it creates 3 skeleton warriors (one of them is an archer) and throws a stinking cloud in the room.
    Ah, right. Thanks, @Tresset.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    sarevok57 said:

deltago said:

That vamp wolf comes from a mod. I think it's NPC Project, but it might be part of the SCS main components, which will put it there even if you just install it for the convenience tweaks. I'm pretty sure there's no vamp wolf there in the vanilla game.
    edited November 2015
    @BelgarathMTH A vampiric wolf can randomly spawn just north of Nashkel in vanilla. I've never seen one on the first map though.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @GemHound, okay I stand corrected, then. I've never seen it in a game that wasn't modded, but I'll take your word for it.
    edited November 2015

@GemHound, okay I stand corrected, then. I've never seen it in a game that wasn't modded, but I'll take your word for it.

GemHound said:

Only to run into a VAMPIRIC wolf.
    [Spoiler] image[/spoiler]
    I had to use my potions of speed on Montaron and Kagain and have them flee from it as Valkalyn ran stealthed down to Nashkel. We arrived in Nashkel still alive.
    [Spoiler] image[/spoiler]

Heres a quote of a screenshot about the one North of Nashkel on vanilla. ;) Ya, its a spawn that can quickly end your run.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Nope, I meant dread wolf. My bad.
    deltago said:

Nope, I meant dread wolf. My bad.

Ah, that makes more sense, then. Defeating a Dread Wolf, at level 1 and with only one companion, is pretty good going, so well done.

Yes, @GemHound is right. I was indeed describing a totally unmodded game, and I've met the Vampiric Wolf twice in that location, but that's twice out of numerous runs, so it's a fairly rare random. It may be the case (although I'm not sure about this) that the times when I met it were times when I hadn't explored that area at low level, and only went back there later with a relatively high-level party, so perhaps it's a scaling effect ... but in any case, it's definitely possible in unmodded.
    @Gallowglass It is not a scaling effect as CHARNAME was level 2, and Kagain and Montaron were both level one in my screenshot above.
    Aha! Thanks, @GemHound. It's just a rare random, then.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Solo no-reload run as a dwarven defender (bgee), which included a fight atop the irons throne building that I still can't believe was won.