Skip to content

Completed Saga Runs

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
Seems like a fun discussion. So...how many full saga runs have you completed? I'll go first.

(1) Durak - dwarven defender
This was before my ill fated solo attempt. Runehammer in one hand, defender of easthaven in the other and the Roranarch's Horn atop his head, he was a tank like no other. He walked up and got the enemy's attention, and then Korgan (axe of the unyielding and crom faeyr) flanked. It worked quite well.

I envisioned him attaining godhood and becoming a (very) minor dwarven deity, with the portfolio of being a god for dwarves raised by non-dwarves who still try to stick to their heritage.

(2) Kadrin - dwarven fighter/thief
Carsomyr when fighting, Yamato for backstabbing, wearing white dragon scale armor and has the headband of the devout on his head. Backstabbing with a guaranteed max damage at 25 strength? Followed up by 10 whirlwind attacks with Carsomyr? He was a whirlwind of destruction. And the traps...oh the traps.

I envisioned him retiring to the Deepstone Clanhold where he would spend the rest of his days, protecting it from any future attack. And experimenting with the unique ore found there to make truly deadly traps for any unwanted guests.

(3) Lother - Human Fighter/Shadowdancer
Dual classed him at lvl 13 so he would have max backstabbery. Belm in his offhand, spectral brand in his main. Quite a force to be reckoned with.

I envisioned him taking godhood and changing his name to Bhaal, becoming what his father once was.

(4) Aethandir- Elven Fighter/Mage
Not my favorite run, too much micro managing. But a surprisingly good tank. Even though there were better options out there, he kept Aslyferund, the best elven chain in the world, because it just looked that damned good. A weird bug meant that I couldn't actually get out of the pocket plane after beating the last trial, but because there was nothing I could do about it I still count the run complete.

I envisioned him returning to Suldanessar after the saga.

(5) Brynhild - Human Inquisitor
Damn those stats. I mean...damn. S20 D18 C20 I14 W18 Cha21. That was some good rolling. Purifier in one hand, Hindo's Doom in the other (for the magic resistance), she did fairly well for herself. Kinda redundant to have her and Keldorn, but this was the holy warrior run.

She ran away with Anomen as per their epilogue.

(6) Weilan - Human Monk
More crazy stats. When a monk has S25, hits for max damage (ie: 43 damage per hit) and has 10 attacks per round? Combine that with -16 THACO and -19AC, and you have something completely broken. Combine that with 100% magic resistance and enemies just cry. Then again, beating BG1 with a monk charname and with Raasad in the same party...that was so damned painful. So I feel like I earned that power spike at the end.

She took godhood, for one reason only: She feared getting old and withering away. A strange thought that hit me when making that final choice, but I ran with it.

So 6 completed saga runs thus far. I've got a ranger/cleric currently in the underdark who might well join their number eventually, and I'm toying with a fighter/druid run which has just started in BG1.

And this isn't counting how I beat the saga twice in my youth, before EE. Once as a paladin and another with a dwarven berserker.

Anyone else want to share how obsessed they are with this game?

KilivitzNonnahswriterBillyYankrecklessheartsemiticgoddessdunbarJuliusBorisovlolienYgramulWithinAmnesiaEnterHaerDalissarevok57BlackravenGotural

Comments

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Absolutely none.

I never bought ToB back in the day, so all my runs were only BG/TotC/SoA and later Tutu and BGT. I only bought the EE's a few months ago and I went through IWD first, since I'd never played that one before.

My first Charname of the Modern Era just completed the first Cloakwood map.
    ArdulWithinAmnesiaNonnahswriterBlackraven
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    BillyYank said:

Absolutely none.

I never bought ToB back in the day, so all my runs were only BG/TotC/SoA and later Tutu and BGT. I only bought the EE's a few months ago and I went through IWD first, since I'd never played that one before.

My first Charname of the Modern Era just completed the first Cloakwood map.

I'll look forward to your screenshot when your Charname finishes his saga. ;)
    ArdulJuliusBorisovWithinAmnesia
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I've beaten BG1 before, but I've never brought a BG1 character into BG2. I always lost interest.
    WithinAmnesia
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited October 2015
    'Back in the days' when the four games were first released I had lost interest in SoA by the time ToB came out and was basically just replaying BG1 over and over again. The release of the EEs (and more specifically Dungeon-be-gone) re-kindled my interest in the Saga concept and I now, for the first time, have a party in ToB that started life in BG.
    The party, lead by a half-orc berserker, is so close to the end that I can taste it - but unfortunately I've stalled on the brink of victory so badly that it's making my teeth hurt.

As a matter of interest, were the characters you mentioned leading a full party of six or leaner, trimmed down parties?

Edit: On that point I've just had a brain fart - more later if it works.

Edit 2: Yes! I've just worked out how to use the pocket plane to get around those scenarios where the entire party is moved/teleported to a position right in front of the enemy and instantly blasted to pieces.
    Post edited by dunbar on
    JuliusBorisovWithinAmnesia
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited October 2015
    Two separate runs with basically the same character. I just wanted to try to see the differences between an all good and an all evil party, so I did parallel run-throughs. Not that much difference mechanically, as it turned out. Just different side quests.

True neutral berserker who went from BG to ToB ... twice.

Currently running a couple of folks through early SoA to see who works best. Blade and Archer seem to be ahead of the others (Sun Soul Monk and Swashbuckler are the next runners-up).

I started them all in SoA, since I didn't have the patience to go through all that low level nonsense in Baldur's gate again. One pass through those damned mines was enough.
    GrumJuliusBorisovsemiticgoddessWithinAmnesia
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    Only completed BG2+ToB once with a human fighter (no kit) imported from BG1. Since then, I only played BG2 with friends via multiplayer, but we were never able to finish it. By myself, I only play BG1 nowadays. I have considered going through BG2 again, since IA mod makes it more beareable.

My memory is failing, because that run was quite a lot of years ago. The BG1 part especially, I don't remember the party composition. Probably something along the lines of: Montaron, Ajantis, Kivan, Minsc and Branwen - at that time that was my most frequent party. Yes, I went through the game without a mage, very figher oriented composition.

My human fighter Charname was using flails/hammers and the same was for BG2. I found it difficult to decide, who should I have with me in the sequel. No useful thieves, silly romances and annoying NPCs made me go for something like this: Anomen, Nalia, Edwin, Keldorn and Valygar + Sarevok replacing Edwin for ToB. Again, focus on melee characters. In that run my Charname refused the godhood, he wanted to remain hidden and wandered off somewhere unknown.
    JuliusBorisovWithinAmnesia
  • DurendalDurendal Member Posts: 32
    I only played through the entire saga once, though I've beaten BG1 maybe three or four times. Each time was meant to be a full saga run, but various PC issues I kept having got in the way.

The character I -did- manage to complete the series with, running through both EE versions was an Inquisitor named Faust.
    Inqusitors absolutely break BG1 where nothing has any hope of resisting it's dispel so he kinda facerolled most of the mage enemies. During late SoA and ToB his usefulness as an Anti-Magic Nuke dropped off, but by then he was running around with Carsomyr and HLAs and chunking things anyway, with only Sarevok able to keep up in terms of raw damage.
    WithinAmnesia
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I only ever did one complete trilogy run, and it was as a sorcerer. I journaled the run in @SapphireIce101 's minimal reload thread in the old Bioware forums. It was three or four years ago.

I've finished BG1 countless times, and I usually take those characters into BG2 with good intentions. But I almost always lose interest and get distracted with either another new BG1 run, or another game completely, and most of my Charnames are in long-abandoned save files, or erased.
    dunbarWithinAmnesiaBlackraven
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited October 2015

I've finished BG1 countless times, and I usually take those characters into BG2 with good intentions. But I almost always lose interest and get distracted with either another new BG1 run, or another game completely, and most of my Charnames are in long-abandoned save files, or erased.

I have exactly the opposite reaction. I find getting CharName through those early levels tedious and not particularly much fun. I feel that SoA with it's potload of side quests and greater choice of spells, weapons and equipment is far more entertaining. I have TRIED to get interested in another BG run but get bored after a couple of hours.
    GrumlolienWithinAmnesia
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    1 complete: my first ee cavalier. I don't like counting it though due to constantly changing her proficincies.

2. Next closest is my dwarven wizard slayer halfway through tob
    lolienWithinAmnesiaBlackravenGotural
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited October 2015
    Twice. Once as a Fighter/Cleric named Harris and once as an EasyTutu Assassin named Firecam.
    I've had countless get through Shadows of Amn and BG1 though. I lose interest at Throne of Bhaal.
    GrumWithinAmnesiaBlackravenGotural
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    Ironically None, Although I Did Complete A Total Of 999896878965879595969+3.5 Character Generations.
    BelgarathMTHsarevok57SkatanGotural
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Nice post OP, that's a lot of Baldur's Gate. I only completed the full Saga one time with a Stalker. Not sure what I will do it with next..
    Blackraven
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    None in EE, though my current playthrough with an OP dwarf paladin is ongoing, in Underdark currently. Just keeping busy 'til SoD really, creating numerous new chars and waiting to take my assassin/mage through the whole saga. At least that's the plan, unless restartitis strikes again.

I have finished BG1EE with alot of charnames, planning to take them through SoA/ToB but before I'm done (usually in the middle of all the companion quests) I start anew instead.
    BlackravenGotural
  • outofdaboxoutofdabox Member Posts: 18
    I haven't done a complete saga run though i've finished BG1&2 individually. I have never finish ToB though, I am always stuck in the final battle.
    I am planning to do my first full saga run including the Siege of Dragonspear, with a Fighter/Mage which I haven't started yet.
    Gotural
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    I’ve completed BG1 hundreds of times.
    SOA until the underdark dozens of time

TOB, probably less than 5 times. The ones I remember :
    - 1 with a cheesy solo sorc (abusing project image to cast multiple planetars)
    - 1 with a solo inquisitor
    - 1 with a FT and evil group (Viconia, Edwin, Korgan)
    - 1 with a solo sorc, no reload run
    BlackravenGotural
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Pre-EE, I've only finished ToB twice, once with a Skald, once with a true-class Bard. Characters that didn't go that far include two Paladins (1st and 2nd time finishing SoA, before installing ToB) and a Kensai (using Tutu).

I have completed BG:EE four times now (a Bard, a Cleric, a Mage and a Dwarven Defender). Of those, only the Bard and the DD made it to the end of ToB.

The Cleric run started because I wanted to use all new NPCs at once. It worked well enough for the BG1 part (took Dorn, Neera, Rasaad, Baeloth and Imoen rounding out the group), but after a few hours into BG2, I ended up losing interest.
    BlackravenGotural
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    mumumomo said:

I’ve completed BG1 hundreds of times.
    SOA until the underdark dozens of time

TOB, probably less than 5 times. The ones I remember :
    - 1 with a cheesy solo sorc (abusing project image to cast multiple planetars)
    - 1 with a solo inquisitor
    - 1 with a FT and evil group (Viconia, Edwin, Korgan)
    - 1 with a solo sorc, no reload run

How did you manage a solo inquisitor? That is quite an achievement!
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    It was not a no-reload run (so it was a long time ago).
    So not really that hard:
    - early game you reload when you fail a save or die to 1 trap
    - once you get carsomyr, you can get more or less immune to magic so it's really not hard at all
    - at HLA levels, paladins have access to summon deva
    semiticgoddessBlackravenGotural
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    I've only completed two full trilogy runs: one with Lenne, a female Elven Fighter/Thief, and one with a male Gnome Fighter/Illusionist whose name I can't remember.

The former run was a bit more than 3 years ago, when I had just begun playing again after circa ten years without playing. My setup had lots of mods (including full SCS and Ascension), which was not necessarily a great idea. I remember it took me a full afternoon for the party to beat Melissan.
    Instead of accepting godhood with all its ensuing responsibilities Lenne chose to live with her partner Valygar in his cabin in the Umar Hills (in my imagination).

I remember little of the Fighter/Illusionist even though that playthrough was more recent. What I do recall is that the setup was a lot simpler, closer to vanilla, and that the character and his friends had much less difficulty with Mel.

In the old days (somewhere in 2002) I would have completed a trilogy run with an Elven or Halfling Swashbuckler - I'm pretty sure I played both since Swashie was my favorite kit at the time. However a scratch on my CD caused the game to crash in the Yaga-Shura's lair.

I have yet to complete a trilogy run in the EEs. Odds are I won't though, as I really only play no-reload these days, and I've found that I'm a rather slipshod player.
    GoturalJuliusBorisov
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    I never completed the whole trilogy with the same character and I completed ToB only once, ten years ago as a child. I understood nothing of the game and had to shadowkeeper my character (a solo monk) to get 999 HP, -30 AC THAC0 and saves.
    I feel guilty ...

And I really, really need to complete the saga at least once.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisovDragonspearGrum
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Blackraven

I do not miss scratched CDs. I bought multiple copies of BG, BG2, IWD and IWD2 cause of that. I finally at one point just made ISO's of each of them to avoid it. Thankfully, I only had to pay 1 last time for each EE. Never will I uninstall them again ^_^
    BlackravenGrum
  • I completed my first complete saga run-through a few minutes ago. Orryn the Fighter-Illusionist (with a most impressive green beard) decided that he didn't want to be God after all, because it sounds a bit overwhelming, ya know?
    GoturalJuliusBorisovGrumBlackraven
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Congratulations, @Tad_Has_A_Cold_Olive!
    Gotural
  • He also beat up Demogorgon, but I imagine that's a pretty common thing for demigods to do.
    JuliusBorisov
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Oh yeah, you haven't really finished if you didn't give Demogorgon a good thrashing along the way!