Skip to content

Those "WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING?" moments

SharguildSharguild Member Posts: 186
I fondly recall while playing vanilla BG, the opportunities to fight an Ogre in the woods above the Nash carnival grounds. 98% of the time it was Kobolds, but on rare occasion an Ogre would spawn.
Alas, during my multiple play-throughs of BG EE, no Ogres would spawn ( though I certainly kept looking1) and I figured the spawn had been removed.
Well, imagine my excitement when during a recent trip to the fair to sell some newly acquired loot, on a dark and stormy night, I check once more and THERE in front of my party stood 3 Ogre Berserkers!!!
My Dwarven Defender couldn't believe his good fortune. He snidely turned and looked at his party and quipped, "I've got this guys, take a smoke break", and proceeded forward to lay the hurt down.
Ashideena at the ready, he activated battle stance...
And promptly died in about 4 hits, took about 5 seconds.
WHAT !!!!
Nooooo!!!!!
I stared at the death cinematic in disbelief.
What just happened?
I collected my thoughts, chugged a beer, lit a smoke and reloaded.
There my party stood, at the edge of the map, all ready to go. Far distant from where the Ogres had spawned.
I opened by DD's inventory screen and....
- No armour on him
- No shield in hand
- No helmet on head
- No girdle on waist...
Oh my gawd, I didn't just...
Well just before returning from the Cloudpeaks, I had been playing around with armour swaps betwixt my DD, Minsc and Viccy. Just neglected that little issue of putting the damn armour back on.
I have never seen my precious little ogres since.
I'm still looking though, every time I visit the fair. I think two more visits and Kobolds will become extinct in my game. sigh....

Comments

• MirageMirage Member Posts: 81
    Ups!
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    Those rude ogres.
  • FeytorFeytor Member Posts: 57
    BillyYank said:

"Say, Thomas, I believe there's a naked dwarf with a hammer running towards us."
    "It seems you're correct, Richard. What do you think, Harold?"
    "I think we need to crush him, crush him to goo. Do you concur?"
    "Oh, yes!" "Just so!"

LMFAO
  • FeytorFeytor Member Posts: 57
    This reminds me of the numerous times I dropped my Half orc (str19) inventory so i could scoop the platemails etc. And consequently forgot to pick it up....
    Nowadays I never drop anything which isn't worth forgetting :smile:
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I attempted to playthrough SoA (and, I thought, ToB) with Aerie in my party.

What the hell was I thinking? ;)
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

I attempted to playthrough SoA (and, I thought, ToB) with Aerie in my party.

What the hell was I thinking? ;)

:cry:

(I'm having too much fun with this Aerie avatar, I know.)
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Ouch. That hurts because it is true!

(actually, it was pretty funny. :) )
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    edited October 2015
    When I was a kid, I used to have all kinds of these moments, such as buying a weapon that my character was not proficient at using, then trying to fight with it.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    edited October 2015
    I used to put the Flail of Ages in the off-hand because I thought it looked cool...

(I think the main-hand was Frostreaver... the blue and gold looked ace to me!)
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Sharguild said:

What am I wearing? Gorions belt?
    Reads fine print "doubles damage from fire...."
    sigh....

Classic.

• fischsemmelfischsemmel Member Posts: 40
    edited October 2015
    Sharguild said:

I fondly recall while playing vanilla BG

All I recall of playing vanilla BG back in the day was managing to get out of Candlekeep after hours of play (while still managing to miss half the quests there) and getting my imoen, montaron, xzar, jaheira, khalid group together and then getting utterly annihilated by the first black bear I'd find after thinking "I'll just kill this for some xp."

Not sure what I was thinking that I was quite that inept with the game. It's not like I was 7 (was more like 18) or that I had no experience with RPGs (had been playing adventure RPGs for years) or something.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    BillyYank said:

When I first played through BG, back in the days of 5 CDs, I left party AI turned on. I'm pretty sure BG was the first CRPG with animated sprites that I had ever played, and the first with a party, so I didn't know any better.

I actually made it through most of the game, up until we're framed and the Flaming Fist in the city turn hostile. And what does party AI do with hostile characters?

"I server the Flami-" *twang*

Before anyone else can react, Imoen one-shots the poor guy with her shortbow. Our reputation plummets, the surrounding bystanders all turn hostile, my party goes into full killing spree mode. While I'm still trying to wrap my head around what's going on, Imoen turns blue, walks up to Charname and says something like: "How could you do such a thing, I don't even know you anymore." Then she walks off, leaving me to be blamed for the disaster she caused.

Reload, turn off party AI, and decades later, I've never turned it back on.

Glorious!
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I remember where all the traps are in Durlag's Tower...

• DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    Grum said:

I remember where all the traps are in Durlag's Tower...

I remember where every trap is in the all trilogy :wink:
  • BorderBorder Member Posts: 32
    Not as epic as some of the above (and more of a face palm moment) but it happened about 4 hours ago....

I started my first ever no reload/no rez campaign and at the same time I am trying to use each of the NPCs. To that end, I am not trying too hard to keep some of them alive, so that I can rotate them around. Well, Rasaad bites it, and I need a new warrior to replace him. I figured I'd pick up Dorn and run through his quest, as I've never used him before. The party is roughly level two and I wanted to keep him around for a while, so I give him the Ankheg Plate and some other good gear and, immediately after recruiting him, I set off to the map east of Nashkel Mines. About 5 seconds into that map, we run into a group of three skeletons. Another 5 seconds later and Dorn is a pincushion, I'm running from skeletons, and I now need to find a new warrior ro replace the dead blackguard.

I guess I'll get to his quest on the next playthrough.....