Skip to content

Tower of Deception for BG2EE

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
edited November 2016 in BGII:EE Mods
Heya! Not sure if you remember a small but amazing mod called Tower of Deception. In a rush of updating my own mods, I kinda made sure it work on EE. You can find it here. (OLD VERSION)

EDIT: Here is the direct download to newest version by @agb1 - I advice you to use this version instead.
Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
lolienmlneveseGodKaiserHellCahirJuliusBorisovSssiksseilorAaeightStummvonBordwehr

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I played it in a BGT installation I had before the EEs... nice story and some nice fights :)
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
    I agree. That's why I've decided to make it work on EE :)
    JuliusBorisovmlneveselolienbrunardo
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Ah, that's super cool @LavaDelVortel :smile: I always wanted to try it out and was disappointed that no one was working to make it compatible. And there it is, surprise surprise :smiley:
    Jarinex
  • klatuklatu Member Posts: 108
    Thanks!
    But it would probably be a good idea to host the mod on a dedicated modding site. The dropbox link is giving Chrome the willies ;)
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @LavaDelVortel I noticed a mistake in the tp2 file (text copied from another mod but not adjusted) that is likely to lead to crashes in game for languages other than English.
    Line:
    ACTION_DEFINE_ARRAY VA#reload BEGIN Setup-Eilistraee END
    shoud read:
    ACTION_DEFINE_ARRAY VA#reload BEGIN setup END
    Moreover, with WeiDU 237, you don't need to provide the handle_charsets.tpa file in the archive as the function is now integrated in WeiDU. As a consequence you can also remove the line:
    INCLUDE ~%MOD_FOLDER%/handle_charsets.tpa~
    Thank you for making this mod available.
    LavaDelVortellolien
    edited February 2015
    @Isaya - will fix it later today. Sooo I just need to delete INCLUDE and everything will work without it? And as for tra stuff - I must have been tired and I forgot to change the line after pasting it from my other mod...

And thanks guys!
    lolienbrunardo
    Ok, fixed! Use the same link, it's released under the same version flag.
    lolien
  • CaszidyCaszidy Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 299
    Hi.
    I have a strange bug. Everything is working fine, I talked to wizard in Crooked Crane, he took me to harbour, and my party sail to ToD. I killed the sea zombies, still everything fine. I talk to captain, still working.
    But when I enter the ToD, there si Baloar and when he tries to talk to me and dialog window pop up, the game crashes.
    Is there any solution, how to fix this, or evade this? I play on android tablet, so its really long proces to install mods, so I prefer solution without reinstall :smile:
    Could I for example somehow paralyze (wand of paralyzation) Baloar to prevent his dialog, and immediately attack him, and kill him, or is he quest related character, so his dialog is needed?
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    edited November 2016
    Hi @LavaDelVortel

Please consider this suggestion from @Ineth for simplifying cross-platform (Linux, OSX) installs:

Use this:

MAKE_BIFF ~VA#Movie~ BEGIN ~TOD/Mve/~ ~*.mve~ END

PRINT @105

Instead of this:

AT_NOW ~TOD/MovieInstall.bat~

PRINT @105

AT_INTERACTIVE_UNINSTALL ~TOD/MovieUninstall.bat~

You can then remove the MovieInstall.bat and MovieUninstall.bat scripts as unnecessary.

Edit: For future reference, this wasn't quite right for two reasons. 1) The pattern ~*.mve~ is invalid; it should be ~^.*\.mve$~ and 2) EE movies need to be in WEBM format (shortened to WBM), not the old Interplay MVE format.
    Post edited by agb1 on
  • jinxed75jinxed75 Member Posts: 157
    Nice work. Unfortunately, the encounter with Ustrain in this V3.3 is impossible to win at the recommended level for the actual mod.
    Whoever came up with the idea for these changes must have been out of their mind. Good luck beating someone who spams Dark Planetars at your Lvl12 party, and has 3 comrades packed to the brim with Watchers Keep and ToB gear, especially when you are running SCS.
    Ii wouldn't have been so bad, if the fight would still take place where it did before, but as it is you either have the choice to wait with mod until your party is super strong, which turns the mod itself into a boring cakewalk, or you play the mod at the recommended level for your party and Ctrl-Y the encounter which takes place just a couple days ingame later.
    Sucks.
    Would have wished you converted the V3.2 for EE.
    brunardo
    @LavaDelVortel

In addition to suggestions above, can you incorporate the BWFixpack patches?

https://github.com/BiGWorldProject/BiG-World-Fixpack/tree/master/BiG World Fixpack/TOD

If you don't have time, may I create a github/BiGWorldProject repository for TOD and apply these patches there?
    Thanks to @agb1 you can now download the newer version. Updated the first post. May take a while to update the post at Blackwyrm's Lair.
    @Caszidy - I wasn't able to reproduce your crash at Baloar (playing on PC). If you are able to paralyze and kill before dialogue, it will not cause any issues with the rest of the quest. The script in the area will detect it and update your journal too.
    Caszidy
    @jinxed75 - I tested the Ustrain encounter with a single start-of-ToB cleric (no companions in party), and while I wasn't able to win, I didn't see any dark planetar summoning. Both Ustrain and the Servant in the Tower have very complicated AI scripts, so it's possible that something about your party caused Ustrain to be a lot more dangerous than he was with my solo cleric. If the old v3.2 AI script was better, we could add it as an option to the installer.
    Thanks for reply, I wasn´t able to kill Baloar instantly, so unfortunatelly no progres for me here. I will try a new run in upcoming weeks after reinstall and I realize, that I played little bit older version, so maybe this up to date which is here will, work. I will write it here, if it works on Android now, or not.
    Only it will take a little time to play to get there.
    edited November 2016
    @Caszidy - I've uploaded a modified version of Baloar's creature file here: https://ufile.io/fb824

If you unzip it and put va#balor.cre in your override folder, it will not start dialogue when it sees you.
    Caszidy
    Sweet! Thanks a lot, I really appreciate this. I will try it in that new run, hopefully there will be no other problems :-)
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @agb1 @LavaDelVortel
    How EET compatible is this? I know it works with EE.
    I did not implement it. I don't know what got implemented later, by agb1. And I think he no longer comes here, so I suppose he won't answer to that question...
  • evildevil97evildevil97 Member Posts: 93
    It seemed to work fine in my most recent playthrough. I don't recall any obvious issues anyway.
  • Seth_DivineSeth_Divine Member Posts: 16
    Excellent Mod. If you keep the Book though does it unlock later?? P:
  • MordekaieMordekaie Member Posts: 269
    Planning to select this mod in my next EET install.

There is a recommandation in the Redme : "Please install Tower of Deception mod after Divine Remix mod, as it alters spells in Lizard Man Shamans spellbook. "

Is still relevant ? I will just install few few kits from Divine Remix.
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 480
    Divine Remix is an old mod, I would suggest Deities of Faerun instead.
  • MordekaieMordekaie Member Posts: 269
    edited July 2022
    I found two versions of Tower of Deception :

https://github.com/RoxanneSHS/TowerOfDeception
    https://github.com/InfinityMods/TowerOfDeception/releases

I will stick with the version maintained by @ALIEN

Any recommandation about the install order ? I am quite confused. I am preparing a big EET install with a lots of quests and probably few kits from Dvine Remix (i can't go with Deities of Faerun beacause this mod is not compatible with Spell Reivsions).

How about it alters spells in Lizard Man Shamans spellbook ? What component of Divine Remix is it interfering with ?
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    To my present understanding, use the non-Roxanne mod version and in the install order, put it soon after EET start in the quest section.
  • shevy123456shevy123456 Member Posts: 174
    Tower of Deception works fairly well overall. I typically install it fairly early too and then it works.

I have not played a lizard shaman though. But that sounds rare, anyway. So for Mordekaie and
    others, I think that information is by now outdated in regards to lizard man shamans.

The sword reward is quite interesting: tiny Jan wielding a huge sword looks hilarious. In the end
    I chose other weapons for him though, e. g. crossbow; or when he has to go melee he kind of
    wears a shield / buckler (I love having mages with bucklers!) and some item for either backstab
    or increasing intelligence. I found that overall higher INT really helps a LOT more than many
    other item addons.
  • shadowlichshadowlich Member Posts: 50
    edited 8:49AM
    Hi LavaDelVortel :) ,

I allways included this mod in my install for years, time to report that:

VA#SHD 01.cre has a misssing kit id...

VA#GULIN.cre has an item with resref == "" (NONE in NI) its duration = 28531 its qty_1 = 28277
    That could raise fatal error with lua datamining while in game, any radar overlay or maybe any items patching...

Hey, it's not my mod. I think the newest version is by @ALIEN ? O just helped with one update :)