Skip to content

"Stuff I think is cool that you probably didn't notice" Thread

CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
edited March 2016 in The Road to v2.0
This thread is where you can mention your favorite new mini-feature that may have been overlooked by others. I'll kick it off with two of my own favorites:

Start a new game of BGII:EE, and when everyone's favorite cutscene starts, hit < esc >. This is pure QA bliss :D

Don't like the extra button clicks on the save screen or world map? Try double-clicking. (If there is somewhere else you think double-click should be active, be sure to let us know!)
GrammarsaladPeccaDeeSon_of_ImoenmlneveseluskanJuliusBorisovAbelGreenWarlockCrevsDaaklolmerkaguanaDanathionmashedtaterslolien

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Cerevant said:

Start a new game of BGII:EE, and when everyone's favorite cutscene starts, hit < esc >. This is pure QA bliss :D

Does it cut it short? If so, that would be awesome!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited March 2016
    Grinkles said:

It seems as though the CTRL + J console command (which teleports selection characters) now does so almost instantly instead of taking a second or two. (However, the characters still gradually turn white at the same rate as they used to while the old CTRL + J teleport was "warming up.")

Of course it needs warming up... the comm signal has to reach the ship in orbit, the teleport command has to be relayed to the technicians then the matter stream beam has to hit the target and be redirected to the other spot :)

Anyway back on topic I really like the new console. The explore, move to area, add xp/gold and god bow shortcuts save some time when testing some things :)
    GoturalJuliusBorisovlolien
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited March 2016
    If only the console could do something like store your favorite codes for convenient access. That way I wouldn't have to alt tab out to a PM from @Troodon80 every time I wanted to re-enter the structure of a long code like this one:

C:Eval("ActionOverride(Myself,ForceSpell(Nearestenemyof(myself),\'Silver_Dragon_Breath_Cold\'))")
    Post edited by Tresset on
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    The weapon you bring with you from BG2 is now in the room you activate the golem to unlock the doors to get to the Dryads. Instant gratification in dual wielding the Burning Earth and the Long Sword +1 in the same room. :smiley:
    FlashburnGoturalJuliusBorisovlolien
  • StoibsStoibs Member Posts: 66
    Tresset said:

The Candlekeep tutors now have new and improved dialogs.

Last time I checked - which was about a day or two ago - they still had that cringy, 4th wall immersion breaking 'lol' humour talking about meta game features and how you can travel in time by abusing the save game system etc.
    Did they change that to something more fitting? Or are you referring to this as 'new and improved'?

Because I hated all of them, that's Fallout style self referential humour that doesn't fit here IMO.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Stoibs said:

Tresset said:

The Candlekeep tutors now have new and improved dialogs.

Last time I checked - which was about a day or two ago - they still had that cringy, 4th wall immersion breaking 'lol' humour talking about meta game features and how you can travel in time by abusing the save game system etc.
    Did they change that to something more fitting? Or are you referring to this as 'new and improved'?

Because I hated all of them, that's Fallout style self referential humour that doesn't fit here IMO.
    That humor is still there, but now they talk about the new classes, touchscreen controls, and other functionality that beamdog has added.
    GoturalJuliusBorisovCrevsDaaklolien
    I see you added a bunch of stuff to Adoy's Enclave. Nice!
    CrevsDaaklolien
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    I like achievements..

but I absolutely hate hidden achievements.
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269

luskan said:

The weapon you bring with you from BG2 is now in the room you activate the golem to unlock the doors to get to the Dryads. Instant gratification in dual wielding the Burning Earth and the Long Sword +1 in the same room. :smiley:

This actually sounds like a step back to me - the whole point of the later quest is to retrieve that weapon (and bag some xp). The early dungeon is balanced around a very limited selection of non-magical weapons, and while this might seem appealing to old hands who install dungeon-be-gone, seems instead to trivialize a dungeon that was there to provide some important training wheels in the first place - only making dungeon-be-gone that bit more appealing. That does not sound like progress for me - but then I actually enjoy the occasional run through the chateau with a new PC, as it is the one part of the game that is all about the character, and not the kit/equipment.
    Maybe it was just me, but during that first level I was getting hit a lot by little guys like the goblins and mesfits. However I suspect that moving it earlier has something to do with Legacy of Bhaal mode.

The Genie is back to giving you The Chaos Blade (which got a nice icon upgrade) and the Cambion is back to giving you the Bastard Sword +1. Everything else seemed the same.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    The new record sheet is actually just a modified version of the old journal UI. The buttons that switch between chapters are gone, but they are still in the design of the UI. I think the quick-loot scroll buttons are their new home.

I still hate the new record screen though...
    Ioun Stones no longer protect from critical hits. I don't really like this...
    KamigoroshiJuliusBorisovGreenWarlocksemiticgoddess
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Tresset said:

Wasn't it strange in the first place that a flying pepple the size of an chicken egg could protect from blows? Then again, I even question how helmets can possibly guard critical hits on the lower half...
    Grammarsaladmashedtaters
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Tresset said:

This does seem like a pretty substantial nerf to monks, kensai, and single-classed thieves, and to all the Ioun Stones as alternate helmets for warriors and priests. I can't say I dislike the change from a thematic point of view, but we've been relying on this functionality for a while now, and I'm not sure what I think of it going away.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited March 2016
    I'm actually ok with this. Monk/kensai are decent enough to warrant crit vulnerability.

Indirect fighter buff? Yes please.
    bob_veng[Deleted User]
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited March 2016
    Tresset said:

I like it. I don't think any helmets should protect from critical... At the same time, I don't care how it's implemented as long as it's moddable
  • kkitanovkkitanov Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2016
    You can increase the size of text and items in Windows setttings without this causing the game window to go larger than your screen when playing in fullscreen.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    Tresset said:

it was a bug
    Ithual[Deleted User]mashedtaterslolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Tresset said:

It comes from IWDEE, just like throwing daggers having 0 weight.