Skip to content

How to Report Bugs

CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
edited March 2016 in The Road to v2.0
Bug reporting will be handled using Redmine. If you do not yet have an account, register there first! If you can't see the bug report projects within 24 hours, contact @Cerevant. For those who tested with us before, we're using a drastically simplified approach - so no worries!

There are separate projects in Redmine for BG:EE and BGII:EE. You can find the project for the game you are testing by selecting it from the "Jump to a project..." drop down in the upper right corner of the page.

From there, you want to click on the "Issues" tab and look through or search to see if the issue has already been reported.

Do not report any issues if you have installed mods or edited your saves.

For each new issue, click on the "New Issue" tab, and fill in the following details:

In the Tracker: box, Select whether you think the issue is a Bug or a new Feature

In the Subject: box, A title that includes your platform in brackets and clearly states what is wrong.
Try to formulate the subject as a "should" or "should not" statement.

Example: [Windows] There should be no audio distortions while the movies play.

The following three items go in the Description Box:

A numbered list of exact steps that will reproduce the problem.
Anyone reading the list should be able to follow it without detailed knowledge of the quest or situation. There are two ways to do this:
1. Begin with starting a new game from the main menu.

2. Attach a zipped save and begin with "1. Load the attached save."
In either case, it is okay to include console commands to shorten the steps (see the example below).

A one-sentence statement (each) of the observed and expected behaviors.
As with the subject, try to use "should" or "should not" statements. If you don't know what the expected behavior is, write down the negation of the observed behavior.

Your hardware and any notes or additional media needed to understand or reproduce the issue.
  • Under Notes, include your hardware and anything else you want to add.
  • If you are reporting a visual problem, include a screenshot using jpg or png file format only.
  • You may also attach a video using mp4 file format only
  • If your game crashed, find the crash dump in Documents\Infinity Engine - Enhanced Edition\crash and attach it to your report as a .zip. Also include the savegame that generated the crash dump.
  • The zip file format is the only permitted file compression format for bug ticket attachments. Please do not use RAR, 7z, bz2 or any other compression format.
Finally, in the Found In Version box, select the specific version you were testing.

Example report

If you find a typo

@Jalily handles text issues. If you find a typo, you do not need to make a ticket with repro steps. Instead, PM @Jalily the StrRef and a quick description of the problem. For those on Android or iOS devices, give the exact quote.

To see StrRefs, either place the following in Baldur.lua:
SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Strref On','1')
or type C:StrrefOn() in the console.

Thanks!
Post edited by Cerevant on
JuliusBorisovlolmerlolien

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    How should I report the same bug present in both BG1:EE and BG2:EE? Do I make a report in each project or just one project and note that the bug affects both games?
    lolmer
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Yes, report in both projects
  • 00zim0000zim00 Member Posts: 267
    Is there a way to 'Up-vote' a Feature Request? Might be nice way to see what things people are most interested in.
    Adulrorikon
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    You can agree and like their posts by mousing over their post and, funnily enough, click the appropriately named link.
    lolmer
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Franpa said:

You can agree and like their posts by mousing over their post and, funnily enough, click the appropriately named link.

I think @00zim00 means on Redmine, not on the forum

Franpa said:

I think @00zim00 means on Redmine, not on the forum
    Yeah on the Redmine :)
    Well, Redmine isn't really meant for socializing.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    @Cerevant

Is there no way to edit the subject or body text of your own issue on Redmine? I got an alert to use the correct format on my submission, but it looks as if edits just let you add an addendum, not edit existing content.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    There's a pencil icon to the right of the "Description" field when you're in the Update pane. Clicking on it will open a text-edit box for the main body of the ticket.
    JuliusBorisov
    @00zim00 Redmine doesn't have a voting feature, and the plug-in I found isn't compatible with the current version. We'll keep an eye on this for the future.

@agris If Dee's suggestion doesn't work, those fields get locked down once the ticket is "In Progress". Let me know if someone asks you to update a ticket when it is in this state.
    00zim00JuliusBorisov
  • HeavylineHeavyline Member Posts: 108
    edited March 2016
    Iam not sure where to report this, but I just unclocked the achievement; "Bandits Banished".

The achievement works fine, however the description is wrong.

"Killed Tazok and ended the bandit threat to the Sword Coast." Tazok never dies in Chapter 3. I don't think it's even possible to kill him. Whenever you decide to sneak into the bandit camp or attack it. Tazok will always escape/leave and reappear later in the final fight with Sarevok.
    Post edited by Heavyline on
    edited March 2016
    Franpa said:

Well, Redmine isn't really meant for socializing.

It wasnt for socializing its to help gauge what requests people are also interested in for the devs. There are alot of other games that have some form of up voting system these days. They normally have the ability to both up-vote feature requests and be able to flag a bug as reproducible.
    Cerevant said:

@00zim00 Redmine doesn't have a voting feature, and the plug-in I found isn't compatible with the current version. We'll keep an eye on this for the future.

Thank you for taking the time looking into it :)
    Dee said:

There's a pencil icon to the right of the "Description" field when you're in the Update pane. Clicking on it will open a text-edit box for the main body of the ticket.

Every report I've made I've tried this and it simply opens the Edit box for appending to the report rather than editing the main report it self.
    JuliusBorisovAedan
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Franpa said:

Dee said:

Every report I've made I've tried this and it simply opens the Edit box for appending to the report rather than editing the main report it self.
    Yeah, I was wondering about this too, it won't let you edit the main body; it will only let you add another comment to it.
    JuliusBorisovAedan
    We'll look into that. In the meantime, if you need to make changes, just copy the existing description and revise it as a comment.
    Should be fixed now. Let me know if you are still seeing this issue.
    PeccaJuliusBorisov
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    Works now.
    JuliusBorisov
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Cerevant @Dee
    It still does not work for me :(
    The pencil icon opens the Edit box to add other info, but not to edit the original report.
    The description will still be read only for issues that are not in the "New" status. Which bug are you seeing this on?
    Bug reporting reminders:

* Please use zip, not rar or any other compression format for save game or other items.
    * Please do not post bmp screenshots, use jpg or png.

Doing either of these items will require QA rework to undo it. Please help us get the bugs to the developers faster!
    JuliusBorisovFlashburn
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    @Aedan: You must click on another pencil icon near "description" (green square in screenshot)
    AedanJuliusBorisovFlashburn
    edited March 2016
    That's really unintuitive lol. I have to click any Edit link which will open the box for making an ammendment underneath the original bug report and then I click a "Description" pencil in the middle of the edit box to be able to edit the original description.
    It's one of those lovable quirks of Redmine. You have no idea how many of us struggled with that very quirk the first time we used it.
    PeccaAdulJuliusBorisovelminster
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Pecca GOT IT - Thanks a lot!
    JuliusBorisov
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    @Cerevant
    Apologies, I wish you'd said that earlier. I didn't think you'd want screenshots in any other format besides the raw .bmp that the game creates.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    For everyone who want to easily make screenshots in jpeg format - you can use http://www.michielovertoom.com/software/snapper/ - I've been using this program for several months and it's very easy and useful.
    lolien
    And for those who don't like to download and install stuff:
    Windows 7 and 10 has the Snipping Tool built in which can do quick region captures
    OSX can do a png screen shot by pressing cmd-shift-3 (whole screen) or cmd-shift-4 (region)
    cmk24lolien
    edited March 2016
    Flashburn said:

@Cerevant
    Apologies, I wish you'd said that earlier. I didn't think you'd want screenshots in any other format besides the raw .bmp that the game creates.

PNG retains all of the exact same data as BMP, it uses a lossless compression where as JPG uses a lossy compression. So if you want the image to be exactly the same as what you see then use PNG (This will reduce the file size a bit) and if you want to reduce file size in case you have terrible upload speeds, use JPG.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    Franpa said:

PNG retains all of the exact same data as BMP, it uses a lossless compression

(if you do PNG24, not PNG8, which uses a color table and dithering)