Skip to content

Will any of these enhanced editions ever come to PS4?

Has there been any discussions to bring these games to the consoles? PS4 specifically? I imagine that it is do-able since Divinity are on consoles. I would like to have add this game to my trophy collection! Thanks!

Comments

• DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    Of course i can't talk for the developers, but i don't think that Baldur's Gate would ever arrive to PS4. It's totally not a game for consoles like that... and it just need a common and cheap laptop, or phone, or tablet for work.
  • hwatteverhwattever Member Posts: 8
    I understand but i think it isn't impossible. Divinity: original sin has done it. I just like gaming on the tv and having all my trophies in one place
    edited March 2016
    Why not? There are entire segments of the console gaming population that have not been exposed to these games and there are people like me who prefer to game on the tv these days. I think there is a business case as the profit to cost ratio is pretty high
  • craymond727craymond727 Member Posts: 208
    edited March 2016
    What exactly would your expectations for controls/button assignment be? I couldn't imagine using an Xbox or PS4 controller to try to effectively play BG, and I would hate to see a bastardization of the game a la Dragon Age. (Not to say I dislike DA, but that BG shouldn't seek to implement its mechanics).
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I don't really get the appeal of consoles anymore, since modern TV's have HDMI input and can be connected to a PC. I play Baldur's Gate on my television just fine, using a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Consoles are starting to be marketed as all-purpose entertainment devices that will play DVDs, access the internet, and stream video now for this reason, I think. And I guess many people prefer the console style of games because they have simplified controls and interfaces. So the OP may have a point that there could be a market for a game like Baldur's Gate on consoles. But honestly I kind of doubt it, because BG isn't the kind of game that has much market appeal to the typical console gamer.

Personally I just plug an xbox controller into my pc and play things that way if they're better with a controller. the only trouble is that my pc is getting old and could do with being updated.
    I understand that you can just plug your computer to the tv and game that way. My desire though is to have all of my trophies in one place on the ps4. And if BG can be designed for ios, i'm pretty sure designing for consoles wouldn't be a problem at all.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    hwattever said:
    I understand that you can just plug your computer to the tv and game that way. My desire though is to have all of my trophies in one place on the ps4. And if BG can be designed for ios, i'm pretty sure designing for consoles wouldn't be a problem at all.
    Computers and Tablets are great with click and point. Do you really want to perform the same action with a joystick? 
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    As a hardcore PC gamer, my first reaction to the thought of my favorite role-playing saga of all time being on a console is...not good.

But then again, just think of how many new people would be introduced to this wonderful, wonderful game that we all love so much. Having it on consoles would bring a ton of new players into the fold. And the more people who get to play BG, the better.

In the end, here are my thoughts: if Beamdog could figure out a way to make the controls work without being too clunky, and if things were not dumbed down at all, and if things were tightened up and maybe even cleaned up a little bit presentation wise to make it go over well with the console crowd, then in that case I would like for it to happen.

Now obviously, that's a whole lot of "if"s. Chances are I would be against it. But again, if the controls worked well and it was well optimized for console and cleaned up, I would very much like for new people to play it. I love this game very much and I want other people to love it, too.
    I don't understand why PC gamers are so opposed to consoles getting a great game? What would that do to the PC gamers? Hurt them? Lol I gamed on pc exclusively growing up and have only gotten into consoles as an adult at the tail end of the ps3 era. I am not against pc gaming but seeing how well xcom and diablo3 were made to work on consoles, i really think that great classics like these should also come to consoles and bring more exposure to them and hopefully with the greater exposure, the justification for a proper sequel? Or a new series in the forgotten realms?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    bengoshi said:
    The moment a BG game came to a console, it would stop being a BG game.
    Actually, Baldur's Gate 1 was planned to be released on the original Playstation back in the days. For some reason or another it didn't make the cut though.

Personally I could certainly see the Infinity Engine games having success on the handheld console market like 3ds or psvita. PS4 on the other hand... not so much.
  • craymond727craymond727 Member Posts: 208
    > @hwattever said:
    > I am not against pc gaming but seeing how well xcom and diablo3 were made to work on consoles...

The problem with this comparison is that the gameplay of Diablo (can't speak to xcom) is vastly different than that of the Baldur's Gate series. In Diablo, you control one PC, with NPCs retaining much of their autonomy. Baldur's Gate has you controlling 6 characters.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I'm not against BG on consoles, and I don't think many PC gamers would be. The issue is whether it would be profitable for Beamdog to do the work to convert it and market it, assuming they could get the license agreements from WotC and Sony (or Microsoft). And my opinion is that I doubt it.
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    bengoshi said:
    The moment a BG game came to a console, it would stop being a BG game.
    You mean like, Dark Alliance, for example? :wink:

But on topic: I, as a hybrid gamer that enjoys both his PS4 and Macbook just don't see it as a great fit as well. Consoles (or rather: Console control schemes, which can be adapted on PC as well) have strong suits other than 2d-top-down games. Playing with a controller just lends itself more naturally to 3rd or 1st person titles. And while turn-based games work out as well, I find that real-time-strategy is hard to pull of convincingly, without giving the player a headache.

Strategy games were seldom big on consoles in the past and that is part of what makes the industry look for other 
    opportunities to sell their products. In a way it's similar to how MAC never became as good at gaming as Windows, partly because they started out with that in mind: they wanted their PCs to be taken serious and not seen as a product of "entertainment". MACs and MacBooks like mine are still fine for basic games, but it just ain't gonna be the new home of the PC Master Race, without major investment into imaging campaigns and technological development.

I believe the situation with BG on consoles is similar, albeit on a smaller scale: It's a (financial) risk the Devs would have to take in order to reach out to an Audience that *might* be there. Unless there suddenly starts to be huge request, or someone else ports a similar game, I don't think there's a big chance.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    "Trophies in one place"... :/
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Simply put, thumbsticks are a less than ideal control method, especially because of the games' huge reliance on moving the mouse every which way.  Even touchscreens are more precise.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I heard IWD3 is going to be a PS4 exclusive.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Chances are that those gamers that are interested in old bioware rpgs have got it already, the ones that haven't played it are the ones that aren't looking. the vast majority of console gamers that didn't play this sort of game before probably won't look past the graphics and age of the game to see the gem inside. They aren't going to be bothered about an 18 year old game based on an archaic rule system that requires thinking to work out, and they probably won't want to read huge swathes of text in every conversation. I've tried to suggest baldur's gate to friends before but very few people are interesded and those that do try it generally don't get far.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    wubble said:
    Chances are that those gamers that are interested in old bioware rpgs have got it already, the ones that haven't played it are the ones that aren't looking. the vast majority of console gamers that didn't play this sort of game before probably won't look past the graphics and age of the game to see the gem inside. They aren't going to be bothered about an 18 year old game based on an archaic rule system that requires thinking to work out, and they probably won't want to read huge swathes of text in every conversation. I've tried to suggest baldur's gate to friends before but very few people are interesded and those that do try it generally don't get far.

Too bad i can't like, agree and judge insightful this comment
  • MirageMirage Member Posts: 81
    Actually you can do anything you want with code. In the end it is "just" (this is a big one) matter of time and if it worths the effort.

BG could of course be implemented in consoles as it is, but it would be so difficult to play with the joy pads.
    There are too many players in a party, spells and commands to give that it would be extremely annoying for the player to do. There is a very big difference moving the cursor on screen using your mouse or your finger than using the joy pad.

As a result BG:Dark Alliance was a very simplified version at the point of not getting the BG feeling at all.
    It could work much better if BG was a solo game didn't involve a party. An example is Diablo3, which with  few gameplay modifications entered the console world.

Beam-dog will say the last word ofc...
    ...by responding in silence
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited March 2016
    I wonder how the controls would work in a console... just placing your party and rotating formation while sending a character or two out of formation would already be very complicated with a joystick instead of mouse and keyboard... even touch controls are not optimal. Notice that I'm not against consoles at all, I actually own two of them. It's just that some games are better with a joystick and others are better with mouse and keyboard. Diablo III, for instance is one that I much prefer to play in a console instead of a computer...
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    I think it would be as good as playing Starcraft on nintendo 64...
  • YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182
    edited March 2016
    Both the PS4 and XBO are AMD x64 hardware and support OpenGL and DirectX, respectively, and I believe also support bluetooth/USB keyboards/mice, so it wouldn't be hard to release BGEE on them. They even have digital content delivery systems. I believe the problem is that BG isn't a game you want to play sitting ten feet, let alone five feet away... Wasn't there a planned port of the original BG to PlayStation back in the day?
    Anyway, to reiterate, the controller is not an issue, as you could use keyboard and mouse. Heck, I remember playing Unreal Tournament on a PlayStation2 with USB keyboard and mouse almost 15 years ago....