Skip to content

Max Total Roll ?????

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @sarevok57‌ I believe Wish only requires 18 for best results and more doesn't help.
    jahes64RAM021Kloroxsemiticgoddess
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I still like my higher lore value
    KloroxJuliusBorisovjahes64Philhelm
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    sarevok57 said:

I still like my higher lore value

The only thing (as a powergamer) I'll say about it is this:

As a fighter, you won't be identifying much anyway. Add that to the diminishing returns of INT/WIS bonus over 18, and you're probably best off starting with a 15 WIS.

That being said, I played a very similar character with a very similar roll, but I don't dual until level 9 in BG2.

Dual classing at level 7 gives you an incredie character in BG1 by itself, and you will use the Lore.
    jahes64
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    that's what I plan on doing
    jahes64Klorox
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited March 2016
    Is there a mod that allows the main character to die without triggering an immediate Game Over (Game Over only occurs if the main characters body is irrecoverable or all party members are dead) like in Ice Wind Dale? One of my main issues with the Baldur's Gate games is that you have to minimize the chances of losing your Player Character/can't be risky with him so I tend to favour trying to roll absurdly high stats, or just cheating them to be all 18/00 and prioritize giving him the best defensive gear.

I'd be much more likely to use whatever stats if my characters death didn't trigger an immediate Game Over. It also doesn't make sense that other characters can be revived but not mine...
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Franpa Actually there is a lore reason why you cannot be revived.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    decado wrote: »
    DEX should always be 18 (or higher) if possible.

Perhaps not always. I was recently playing around with some characters using a standard array method of character creation, which was posted within this forum. It's an 87 point build (high compared to straight PnP, but comparable to NPCs such as Imoen), using the stats 17/16/15/14/13/12. I found it fun since it allowed me to create a more "natural" character and forced me to make some decisions.

I created a Black Pits Fighter 6/Cleric X with the stats 15/12/16/13/17/14. Once you slap on the Gauntlets of Dexterity and the Strength Belt, he is 19/18/16/13/17/14, and it only gets better with Divine Power and DUHM.

Sure, 18 Dex is great for the -4 AC, and I used to never leave home without it, but there are ways to overcome lower Dex. I also think that having less perfect characters opens up more opportunities to use different items that might normally be handed down to the NPCs.

• FeytorFeytor Member Posts: 57
    Franpa wrote: »

You don't roll 18d6, that's just silly and asking for trouble xD

No this is the best way! Roll 18 and group them anyway you want in pairs of 3. Ultimate flexibel character generation :smile:

And it is always fun to look for the missing die under the couch and claiming it was a 6 :)

cognoscentustbone1
  • Camus34Camus34 Member Posts: 210
    CTRL +8 = all 18s. If you want all 18s, why would one sit at one's computer for hours doing the incredibly tedious action of clicking a button and hoping and praying for 108? lol Eventual, once you start to see number after number fly by you get a bit loopy, you start hating 70s, and the 90s are seemingly there to destroy your courtly love with 108. Then after hours of sleep deprivation, and starvation you start questioning if you have actually passed 108 five days ago, back around the time when your cat started having to fend for itself, went crazy, and formed a street gang with a raccoon, a fox and a ferret. You ask yourself: "does 108 actually exist in another fourth dimension, where time does not exist, somewhere off in that frighting place, known as eternity, looking down at our spacetime like 'fools, it's not a line it's a circle' "? Moral of the story, if you want all 18s, just use CTRL + 8... :neutral: lol
    Goturalbret
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    @Camus34 you also need to enable Debug mode for that to work.
    Camus34
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    Camus34 wrote: »
    CTRL +8 = all 18s. If you want all 18s, why would one sit at one's computer for hours doing the incredibly tedious action of clicking a button and hoping and praying for 108?

I like the music. Dun-dun-DUN-d-dun!

Camus34joluv
  • IroncobraIroncobra Member Posts: 3
    decado said:

I prefer to have a least some legitimacy in actually having made a certain roll rather than making it up. Give this a go;

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10937/utility-bg-2-ee-autoroller-v4/p1

Thanks for this, this morning i rolled a 96 and over clicked like allways. Am trying this now to get that result back, nearly got this morning but had to go to work so i turned my computer off. Gonna try this again now (when i got back from work my game started to update). When the update has finished |(18 hours) ill try this again. Cheers for the link.
  • hellwalker31hellwalker31 Member Posts: 16
    ctrl + 8 does the trick but if u play elf and want 19 dex... u need to get 1 stat from others and once u get 1 point from con u cant make it 18 since max is 17 for elf. for years i got a first time 95 points. my record was 93 till today.
    Lets go for some math. having 108 stats without cheat probability (1/6^18) clicks. and since lowest total score is 75 lets multiply that chance with [(108-75)/108]. sooo dont bother with that. just spend a little time with rolls and even u have low atats u will somehow end the game and kick melissa ass CESPENAR says ENJOOOY
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @hellwalker31 If you reduce a stat and keep one point unspent, hitting CTRL-8 will reset the stats to all 18's and you will still have the unspent point.
    semiticgoddessPokota
  • RidcullyRidcully Member Posts: 164
    jahes64 said:

Thanks for answers.

Another question:

Does it make any difference if i use EE keeper to modify my stats after creating my PC? (i tried to re-roll until i get a total of 92 rolls, but it took quite some time and i accidentally skipped my best chance which was higher than 92 :-\ )

If you want a roll of 108 just press ctrl & 8 at that point in the character creation
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    My method of rolling stats vary depending on the character I want to make.
    I always go for 18 charisma because I want the best dialogue options and rewards throughout the game.
    I always go for maximum for any stat that is important to the class or 16 con for a non-fighter, non- small race character.

If I'm playing a straight mage my stats usually look something like this:
    Str: as high as I can get once the important stats have been taken care of (no less than 8).
    Dex: 18 or 19 if possible.
    Con: 16 (unless I'm a shorty, in which case I go for min 17)
    Int: 18!
    Wis: Whatever is left after strength.
    Cha: 18!
    (Total at least 81, which is easily doable)

If I'm playing a F/M or a F/M/T (and I often do):
    Str: 18/xx (I worry less about the percentage because I'll end up with 19, though I do try to get 75+)
    Dex: 18 or 19 if possible.
    Con: 18
    Int: 18
    Wis: as high as possible after all other stats.
    Cha: 18
    (Total of at least 93 because wis cannot be lower than 3. Holy smokes am I going to be rerolling untill I'm blue in the face.)

Highest roll I've ever had was 97 on a F/M/T (without cheats at least).
    Daevelon
  • Toot83Toot83 Member Posts: 20
    When I play F/M/T (which is 90% of time), I usually settle for cha 14, because spell Friends rises it temporarily to 20, and that is the highest cha you ever want because there is no additional benefit on higher numbers. Also if you keep Imoen in your party and dual her to mage, you never need any cha on CHARNAME in the first place.

One can even lower the cha to 12, because, you know, the certain piece of clothing on that certain person in that certain inn in that certain town.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Then there's a tome available very early on so you can reduce charisma down to 11 and still get the best prices. If you're patient about spending money you could even wait until you can get the Helm of Glory to allow a further 1 reduction (or even until SoD when several more charisma boosting options are available :)).
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    Toot83 said:

When I play F/M/T (which is 90% of time), I usually settle for cha 14, because spell Friends rises it temporarily to 20, and that is the highest cha you ever want because there is no additional benefit on higher numbers. Also if you keep Imoen in your party and dual her to mage, you never need any cha on CHARNAME in the first place.

One can even lower the cha to 12, because, you know, the certain piece of clothing on that certain person in that certain inn in that certain town.

Grond0 said:

Then there's a tome available very early on so you can reduce charisma down to 11 and still get the best prices. If you're patient about spending money you could even wait until you can get the Helm of Glory to allow a further 1 reduction (or even until SoD when several more charisma boosting options are available :)).

Sure you could... But if you are playing a F/M/T and you start out with charisma enough for 18 (whether through friends or not) you can obtain some very nice gold inside candlekeep at the very start of the game by talking to some nobles and saying the right thing and having put enough skill into open lock. That is all I'm going to say on that.
    ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I've never been able to use cha as a dump stat.
  • DivinaDivina Member Posts: 26
    edited April 2018

Took me ages to roll her but she's a beaut. But seriously. Like 2 hrs of re-rolling went into her.

Edit: I now see it is not super visible. Str was modified by gloves so 18/50 don't ask me what the original stat was - maybe 14 at the highest. Dex 18, Con 17, Int 19 (originally 18 +tome in BG1), wis 16, cha 18. I RP my chars to the max and they need to be pretty :expressionless:
  • bretbret Member Posts: 24
    Camus34 said:

CTRL +8 = all 18s. If you want all 18s, why would one sit at one's computer for hours doing the incredibly tedious action of clicking a button and hoping and praying for 108?

Totally agree with this. I know that BG is a highly-individual experience and people follow a wide variety of self-imposed rules (e.g. no reloads, varying definitions of "cheese", etc.), but I really can't understand the mindset that re-rolling for hours and hours is somehow more legitimate than simply pushing CTRL+8.

If you know you're going to keep rolling until you reach (say) 95, then go ahead and push CTRL+8 and de-allocate 13 points. Same result, and you've saved yourself hours of mindless button mashing.

I guess I could understand the re-rolling mentality if you are going to limit yourself in some way; e.g. keep your best score out of 10 rolls (or 50, or whatever). At least then you're actually accepting some degree of randomness. But if you're going to give yourself unlimited rolls until you achieve some particular threshold... how is that any different from using CTRL+8 or EEKeeper?

ThacoBellContemplative_Hamster
    Because everyone is different and their mental blockages with what they consider "cheating" are not up to you?
    DaevelonAgent_X
  • bretbret Member Posts: 24
    Divina said:

Because everyone is different and their mental blockages with what they consider "cheating" are not up to you?

Sure, I TOTALLY get that. Everyone has their own house rules. One player's "cheese" is another player's "great strategy". It's a single-player game, and all that matters in the end is your own personal enjoyment.

But I'm genuinely baffled when people talk spending literally hours re-rolling stats, or even more extreme, running a 3rd-party utility to automatically re-roll endlessly until some minimum threshold is attained. I truly can't see how that's any more legitimate than just using CTRL+8 or EEKeeper.

The most charitable explanation I can think of: Perhaps folks feel they've somehow "earned" their score after they put in hours of mindless button mashing. When the random number generator finally spits out a 95+ after tens-of-thousands of clicks, perhaps that's a sign that the AD&D gods have smiled upon CHARNAME and he/she is the chosen one! (I.e., it's a role-playing thing.) Ooohh-kay!

Balrog99ThacoBellContemplative_Hamster
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    edited April 2018
    bret said:

Divina said:

Sure, I TOTALLY get that. Everyone has their own house rules. One player's "cheese" is another player's "great strategy". It's a single-player game, and all that matters in the end is your own personal enjoyment.

But I'm genuinely baffled when people talk spending literally hours re-rolling stats, or even more extreme, running a 3rd-party utility to automatically re-roll endlessly until some minimum threshold is attained. I truly can't see how that's any more legitimate than just using CTRL+8 or EEKeeper.

The most charitable explanation I can think of: Perhaps folks feel they've somehow "earned" their score after they put in hours of mindless button mashing. When the random number generator finally spits out a 95+ after tens-of-thousands of clicks, perhaps that's a sign that the AD&D gods have smiled upon CHARNAME and he/she is the chosen one! (I.e., it's a role-playing thing.) Ooohh-kay!

I can only speak for myself, but there is a bit of guilt involved for me when I use EEKeeper or ctrl-8 that isn't there when I get a 'legitimate' roll. So much so that I usually abandon characters that I 'cheated' with. It's illogical and I'm a chemist so logic should trump feelings with me, but that doesn't help. I don't even understand it really...
    AezurosAgent_X
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    @bret I think it depends whether you see character creation as part of the game or not. If you don't regard character creation as part of the game then I agree it makes little sense to reroll for hours. If you do though, then you'll want to apply the same philosophy to rolling the character as playing them.

Long time players are unlikely to play the game by just going through pressing ctrl-Y to kill all their opponents - even though that would save a lot of time. Instead they are likely to want to feel they've made progress 'legitimately' (as noted above there's a lot of variation about what that means, but the underlying feeling remains that in cheating the game you're really cheating yourself).
    Balrog99StummvonBordwehrAezurosAgent_X
    edited April 2018
    @bret You say you "TOTALLY get that" but manage to make the rest of your message so utterly condescending that you will permit me to respectfully disagree and say that, no, my friend, you see nothing at all. Certainly not "TOTALLY" and most likely not even a little bit. Have a nice day now.

@Grond0 couldn't have put it better myself. Though I have doubts your points will be understood.
    DaevelonAgent_X
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    There's no need to go personal when talking about any game-related subject. There're always ways to share an opinion without concentrating on another user.
    StummvonBordwehrThacoBellAezuros
  • AyeotieeAyeotiee Member Posts: 34
    my best roll was 96 on a Bard

I got 92 on my current Barbarian Half-Orc(not counting with the dex, int, cha and con tomes)

ronaldo