Skip to content

new romances in BGEE.

Comments

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited September 2012
    Well i just hope the romance option in Baldur's Gate to generate some critical consequence as it does in Baldur's Gate 2.

In BG2 Bodhi will kidnaps any romance partner in chapter 6, something intense like that would be pretty well received in BG, at least i see this way. For example if you're caught by the flaming fists in Baldur's Gate after the Iron Throne leader's death in Candlekeep, Angelo could separate you from a love partner there (or kill him/her and hide the body) and a personal quest to get him back should take instance.

By the way i hope for some incompatibilities with fighting results, as Ajantis x Dorn, Xzar x Neera (don't need to be Xzar, it's Just an option) and Safana x Rasaad.

By the way, i hope Neera to be the homo romance, Rasaad for me should not even be an romance option (aren't monks chaste?) and i have a hard time trying to imagine Dorn, the evil half-orc blackguard as homo.

Now a little off topic:

@WonKo, evaluating the point you raised, your comment was direct agains my previous post related to the side thread of this topic, no?

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/70596/#Comment_70596
    WonKo said:

If this conversation continues it probably shouldn't do so in this thread.

People should be able to talk about topics such as this without a whole bunch of wowsers descending on the thread to have a cry about reverse discrimination. It's a common courtesy.

You made a poor choice of words here my friend, as you see, to be a wowser you must be intolerant, and counter prejudice (or reverse discrimination as you said) is exactly an evaluation of the issue. when you say that people shoud be able to talk about prejudice without someone defending a different point, you are doing the same prejudice that you apparently hate, you're judging my point of view before knowing it, that's exactly "pre" "judice".

When people close themselfs for new ideas, sticking with the commom ground morale, they're doing nothing less than being wowser by themself and their objective is nothing more than cry a river about the theme.

In reply to a certain comment, i never said that prejudice don't exist today so let's not put my opinion in the same package. Of course it exist, but in a much minor size than 20 or 30 years ago. Today whom prejudice is the one in the closet as the current trend are governments that don't neglect assistance to prejudiced groups as before and the general society behavior is pro-minority.

It's Hard to whomever take the slap to understand the other side, but that doesn't means that any opinion raised that don't join the choir are prejudice.

Just want to reforce that some reactions against prejudice are by themself prejudice, as an example when my government (brazil in this issue) create a quote system for college and public exams for black and indian people, when those quote should be extended for poor people as the objective is to give a fair chance to people without the same chances in life to compete. My government with this quote system is indirectly spreading the idea that black and indian descendientes are less inteligent than other people.

@Tanthalas, it's natural when we speak of romance, that the homo x hetero subject always arise to debate. Indirect it's related to the thread, but maybe an off topic in the forum could solve some problems? If a discussion become too off topic just move it to off topic area instead of evaluate each point of the thread to remove off topic posts and comments.

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    kamuizin said:

By the way, i hope Neera to be the homo romance, Rasaad for me should not even be an romance option (aren't monks chaste?) and i have a hard time trying to imagine Dorn, the evil half-orc blackguard as homo.

Monks in the Forgotten Realms aren't forced into celibacy. Danica from the Cleric's Quintet books eventually got married and had children.
  • GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175
    edited September 2012
    Ok, I'm all for gay acceptance and their recognition into video games. So I'm OK with Gay romance in BG EE

According to the wikipedia article, there is between 3% and 4% Gay (lesbian or homosexual) people in the world, and at least 96% of the population is straight. I know wikipedia isn't always reliable, but those statistics make sense.

I think it's safe to assume that those statistics also apply to gamers population. So, we have max 4% of the gamer population that is Homosexual/lesbian.

So in all fairness, romance should be representative of the gamers population : 4% of the romance available should be Gay romance. Considering that there are less than 10 romance available, that's not even one romance. So at Best, there should be only one Gay romance available.

It could mean that either homosexuals or lesbian will be left out. But, there will be additional characters in BG 2 EE, which will be the occasion to make a gay character of the other sex.

That way both lesbian and homosexuals will have their romance, half of them will just have to wait a few weeks more. And it will stay fair toward gamers demographics.

PS: Make it so that gay characters don't insist if you are not interested. I don't want a gay NPC to constantly try to seduce me if I'm not interested. That would be annoying.
  • AenorAenor Member Posts: 64
    Pfff... c'mon, who in the name of Christ gives a hoot if a guy likes to get plooked?

...oh.
    edited September 2012
    Eerr... @GueulEclator, From all the girls that i meet in school and college, at least 30% to 40% of them had an lesbian experience (i'm kicking a number here but it's pretty much something like this), they told me or someone gossiped that to me, and those are the ones i know doing this.

Guys normally tend to avoid to left the closet, so is pretty rare to you find a man gay unseless he left the closet and assumed himself as gay, people that tried it once and didn't like or maybe liked but don't want to assume it normally never speak about it.

So i doubt this % is even near of a real truth. Besides, we can't neglect rights to people based on the fact they're minority, othwewise that will not be prejudice but social segregation, what is so bad (if not wrost) than prejudice.
  • GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175
    kamuizin said:

Eerr... @GueulEclator, From all the girls that i meet in school and college, at least 30% to 40% of them had an lesbian experience (i'm kicking a number here but it's pretty much something like this), they told me or someone gossiped that to me, and those are the ones i know doing this.

Guys normally tend to avoid to left the closet, so is pretty rare to you find a man gay unseless he left the closet and assumed himself as gay, people that tried it once and didn't like or maybe liked but don't want to assume it normally never speak about it.

So i doubt this % is even near of a real truth. Besides, we can't neglect rights to people based on the fact they're minority, othwewise that will not be prejudice but social segregation, what is so bad (if not wrost) than prejudice.

Neglect rights? Who talked about neglecting right. It's damned fairness. If you have 96% straight gamers, then you have 96% straight NPC, that's fucking fairness. I don't see why Gay people should benefit from 40% of the romance when they aren't even 10%.

Any evidence to back up this claim? I can come up with tons of reliable sources that states that less than 10% of people are gay.

And schools as a reference? Not exactly a reliable thing. I believe each person in my school had had a rumor about them being gay.
    Ok dude, live happy in your awersome world.
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    Boys, you're ALL pretty. Can we please stop turning these threads into profanity-fueled slams? No one wins.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    edited September 2012
    indeed. and since about 5% of bg players are half orc, it is good they put in one half orc npc (and not a one half orc more!). also, judging by the poll on forums how many women play bg games, female npcs are way ovrrepresented in this game. i dissaprove strongly of that :/

thank god for the statistic for everyone should be entitled according to them.
  • the9shadowsthe9shadows Member Posts: 18
    edited September 2012

Neglect rights? Who talked about neglecting right. It's damned fairness. If you have 96% straight gamers, then you have 96% straight NPC, that's fucking fairness. I don't see why Gay people should benefit from 40% of the romance when they aren't even 10%.

Those statistics are meaningless. What about straight male gamers who want f/f options? Or females that want m/m or f/f options? Or hell, maybe a straight male wanted to role-play the Main PC a certain way and pursue another male because that's how he saw the character?

Post edited by the9shadows on
    edited September 2012
    I hate the stupid of statistics, a question to anyone answer:

If a man put his head inside an on and open furnace and his feets inside an open freeze, can we say that his temperature is stable? Very smart.

@the9shadows you're doing a false statement, you imput your last quote to @Ward, when the owner of those words is @GueulEclator. This is low dude.
  • the9shadowsthe9shadows Member Posts: 18
    edited September 2012
    Edit: Accidental post, whoops.
    no problem, as you fixed it now :)!
  • ArchaonArchaon Member Posts: 24
    Anyway people, it has been stated eslewhere that Neera is not going to be the homosexual character, so it's very probably Rasaad.
    I also wrote elsewhere about his order being tied to both Selûne and Sune, with Sune being the goddess of love and Selûne being (back in the gameplay timeline) an ally and nearly a servant of Sune.

Monastic traditions in the FR are about trying to embody the principles of the deities they follow (in the case of traditions that follow deities, not all of them do). So it is a very nice catch by the developers, to have found a way to add a homosexual character without him being out of context, and on the contrary, being perfectly integrated in his personal context and the setting.
    Nice touch to also show that a Monk in the FR (and in fantasy in general) not only doesn't have to be chaste, but doesn't even have to be straight and is perhaps even indoctrinated by his order into contemplating and cultivating love as a way to achieve spiritual and bodily perfection.
    Another realistic and deep choice from the developers. Deep because it really adds to the setting. Realistic because a bisexual person is surely much more welcome in such an order than in any other, so it makes a lot of sense for him to follow his path, in many ways.
  • LiaTabrisLiaTabris Member Posts: 6

@LadyRhian I remember the same thing happening with peole whining about bi/gay/lesbian romances in Mass Effect 2/3.

I just don't understand why people get so upset over something that's completely optional, and in the case of ME, *YOU* (the player) have to initiate it. And I say this as a hetero. More options for the player is always a good thing.

I've never done the gay male romances is DA:O, DA2 or ME3 because it's just not of interest to me, but it doesn't bother me that it's there.

ME2? I found it to be one of the straightest things Bioware's done in a while (3 m/f squad members, 3 f/m squad members, 1 bisexual NPC, Liara from ME1 import not very present). It's one of the things I didn't like about ME2; it just irritates me on principle.

I don't have a problem with possible LI characters initiating something, either; I just want a reasonable range of response options (accept/friendly reject/unfriendly reject).
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    (tl;dr summary: I think it's great to have the option of homosexual romance content and I think there are many ways to go about it; some of them restrict the player's access to game content more than others.)

I'm curious to see whether the "dual-wielder" will be written bisexual (as opposed to the NPC not having a "canon sexuality" and his/her sexual orientation depending on the playthrough) and whether the romance is notably different depending on the gender of CHARNAME, or if the romance is always the same (with the obvious cosmetic differences such as referring to the CHARNAME correctly).

Personally, I'm all for options. From a selfish gamer pow I'd like to access the majority of the game content during 1-3 playthroughs. (Don't get me wrong though, I love that there are different options for different classes such as the strongholds, and different NPC quests, and such. I do find it really annoying if I start to feel like I'm being penalized due to my choice of gender or race for my character, like when in BG2 a male CHARNAME gets to pick from three cool, fleshed out romances and female gets one that's subpar, or a female gnome never gets to see content of that type at all for no obvious reason. Especially since during character creation there's no way of knowing how these choices will affect things.)

From the "politics of represention" pow (which in a nutshell means that what appears, matters) I'm really happy to see variance in skin color and other looks, in genders, and in cultures (including aspects of sexuality).

For example, I was really proud of Bioware when they wrote in gay characters in ME3. When my Shepard met Steve Cortez, I was exhilarated to see such an interesting representation of a gay man who very soon was established with a personality, family history, a friendship onboard... awesome! (I'm not even halfway through ME3 at the moment so I don't know how he develops or not during the game, but I loved how they introduced the character over the early parts of the game.)

These are different approaches although don't necessarily shut the other one out. Another example, Zevran in Dragon Age:O, is written bisexual (i.e. it's a feature of the character, not a feature of a particular playthrough) but of course bisexuality tends to allow access to (romance) content rather than restrict it. However, similarly written homosexuality of a character wouldn't need to be of the excluding kind either. For example, a female protagonist or a straight male protagonist could have the option of a friendship path with a character who's not romantically compatible.

Just some thoughts :)
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    Good lord.. GOOD LORD! wtf are you all arguing about? Gay romances? Seriously, I've not yet seen any gay romance being done well in any game what so ever. Now, I'm not gay but I have on occation tried gay romances just for kicks.. and I guess its fairly natural for someone who is gay to want a gay romance in a game. But seriously, let's think about for a moment..

The character you play in the game, is not you. I mean, you live here on earth in 2012, not Forgotten Realms. (Come to think of it, can anyone confirm that there is any such thing as homosexuality in the lore?) Anyway, as I was saying.. The sexual orientation of the player is irrelevant. What matters is that any romance that makes its way into the games code, is well made, appropriate for the setting and tastefull.

I would sooner have a game with no romances what so ever, than having to live through the kind of shit that Dragon Age has gulped up at me..

So basically.. If there's gonna be a romance, just make it GOOD.

It's not like your character has to be gay, just because you as the player is. Just as my characters don't HAVE to be straight just because I am..

(yeah yeah yeah, "we want the option to.. bla bla bla". That is irrelevant. It's up to the developer to decide if a gay (or any romance at all) is appropriate for the setting of the game, the npc's etc etc.. And not something that should be forced)
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    Your character isn't any less gay, just because there is no content that shows it.. Just as my Skyrim character isnt any less of a don juan, just because romances are laughable at best in that game (And should imo just have been dropped altogether instead of released like that, but i digress..)

I'm just saying that it's really up to the devs to decide if there's any romances, how many and if they're bi/gay/straight.. And I would beg them to make the romances GOOD, and not just some emo-soup or have a party that has collective daddy issues (Mass Effect 2 anyone?) that PC needs to resolve for them, just so everyone can have their very own romance tailored to their ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or whatever.

I love romances in these types of games, and i feel as though they really add some more flavor. But tbh, if they're gay or straight it doesn't really matter. Just make a different type of char.. it's not like you'd wanna play the same char on every single playthrough anyway.. right?
  • TenYaibaTenYaiba Member Posts: 212
    We're really arguing the same point, but with different emphasis. You demand a quality standard on new romances, or no new romances at all.

We want More New Romances that live up to an already proven acceptable quality standard, and are willing to wait to have them done right.

Furthermore as we are not Devs, and this is a "Feature Request" thread, anything written here, in the correct spirit, is the proper way to try to get the Devs' attention to what the community wants. Yes it's their decision, but Overhaul has stated a vested interest in appeasing the community, not only with a remastery of an old game that has a very protective and dedicated fan-base, but in the fact that these forums exist at all, and are watched by the development staff. The Devs' support of the community shows that they are interested in hearing our voice and we appreciate their kindness and happily take that opportunity.

They asked us what we want, and we are telling them with these forum posts. That's why we discuss these things. Because we want them and by the very nature that our discussion exists, it calls attention to the wants of the community and gives the Devs an insight into what we want.
  • ego1steego1ste Member Posts: 88
    edited September 2012
    I don't even want to read it anymore :D I will only say: more female romances :) There are 2 male and only 1 female so 1 more please :) If it will be really good and will continue in bg2:ee i could even pay for a dlc.
  • EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    edited September 2012
    @egolste I believe they implemented two guys for us girl players because in BG2 men recieve three lovely women, and girls got Anomen. Who sucked. Badly. So they are kind of trying to make up for that. But I support more romances for anyone, including more girls for guys (or girls for girls) so anything in this regard is something I'd be glad to see more of even if I can't use it!
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Khyron said:

Just make a different type of char.. it's not like you'd wanna play the same char on every single playthrough anyway.. right?

It's ironic that you say this because straight guys can be themselves or an idealistic projection of themselves in almost every game, and it's the rest of us who usually have to play a different type of char.
    @EpitomyofShyness there are 3 female romances in bg2 but ... 3 elves which 2 of them are priests and 1 is druid :D We could use a thief, mage or even warrior for a change :D And make it human or dwarf(but without a beard) hehe finished game with dwarf once :D
    It's so good we want more :)
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    @TenYaiba Well you've finally done it. You've summarized everything I was asking for in one post, now anything I'm going to say will be redundant :)

PS: has there been a poll yet on this forum about what race people generally play as? I ask because people have complained how there's no romances for shorter races, yet I figured people dont play them often.
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173

PS: has there been a poll yet on this forum about what race people generally play as? I ask because people have complained how there's no romances for shorter races, yet I figured people dont play them often.

I've always chosen the race so that I'm able to have a romance (generally a modded one, since I prefer to play as female). Such poll wouldn't reflect my preferences.
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    Shame there's no tiered-poll system available ;) I always pick human for the same reason.