Skip to content

new romances in BGEE.

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681

To an extent, I think that almost all the NPCs should have the optional full-fledged romance, and at least an option to put that forward to the character so that they can reject you if you're not their type in terms of race/stats/class/alignment or gender. By making NPCs unromancible by either the PC or other NPCs, it kinda communicates that they're not interested in that aspect of their lives, which may be understandable for specific characters, but is unrealistic for the majority of them.

I like this idea, but wouldn't almost all of them have to reject you because the developers just don't have enough time? I usually don't assume party members are romanceable unless otherwise told, so to see the option pop up only to get rejection after rejection would be pretty depressing. Maybe let the player down easy by giving the unavailable ones preexisting relationships, something that is far too rare in video games...
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    If they made tall blonde warrior with pink plate armor gay, it is ok.
    But making characters gays and bi only because artificial increase number romance is terrible.
    Often it ruin character personality.

Like Anders in DA2.
    ( He was cool, funny and charismatic in DA1. Now is absolutly horrible )
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    Okay, it might have be a little slow for this, go ahead and post some slowpokes but: I just realized Edvin is trolling 100%.

Chill guys.
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130

I like this idea, but wouldn't almost all of them have to reject you because the developers just don't have enough time? I usually don't assume party members are romanceable unless otherwise told, so to see the option pop up only to get rejection after rejection would be pretty depressing. Maybe let the player down easy by giving the unavailable ones preexisting relationships, something that is far too rare in video games...
    Haha, on second thought, it may be a little depressing where you get rejected by Minsc XD
  • schalafischalafi Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2012
    oops, sorry
    I really can't see the devs concentrating that much on the romances, even in an rpg. That could lead to rpg/sims type games, which I, for one, wouldn't want. I am perfectly happy with 2 straight and 2 bi li's for a game, but not if they're are bu** ugly half-orcs and evil mages. Can't we just have some normal looking npcs as romance options? I always play human and can't see my character romancing a half-orc!

Haha, on second thought, it may be a little depressing where you get rejected by Minsc XD

And creepy if he accepts you. O_o

• zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    @LadyRhian is my new hero. Since we're both straight, I'll refrain from the obligatory marriage proposal. (She has enough of those in another thread.)
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    LadyRhian said:

Honestly, I just don't get it. No one is forcing you to put your character in a gay romance if you don't want it. No one is holding you or your character's feet to the fire to make them experience "Teh Gayzors!" Why the heck can't you just go, "Oh, I don't want a gay romance, so I won't play one." I mean, please! Is that so hard to do?! Why are people so down on expanding a game to include content for people who were shut out before? Are you that insecure about your own sexuality that having the option for a character to have a romance with his or her own sex will somehow diminish you or your heterosexuality? I'm straight, and I have no problem with same sex romances in BG:EE or BG2:EE. I also don't play evil characters, but you don't see me or anyone getting up in arms about the fact that you can play an evil character in the game. This kind of bigotry and homophobia just really annoys the hell out of me. Live and let live. There is nothing that says you have to experience or play that content. Nothing at all.

THANK YOU.
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    LadyRhian said:

This kind of bigotry and homophobia just really annoys the hell out of me. Live and let live. There is nothing that says you have to experience or play that content. Nothing at all.

I didn't write anything because at first I thought he was trolling, but when I was about to write something you did it, surely better then I would have :).
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    edited September 2012

I'm curious, what's your first language?

Mému rodnému jazyku by jsi vůbec nerozuměl, protože čeština je neuvěřitelně težká na naučení.

It is my Czech language :-)

To řiká hodně čechů, myslim že předevšim kvůli tomu, že většina z nás jinej jazyk než aj a nj neovládá. Doporučuju nahlédnout na gramatiku řečtiny, arabštiny, islandštiny, a pokud chceš dostat infarkt tak jsou tady jazyky kmenů amerických indiánů.

Sorry for speaking other language than English on the forums, just wanted to make something straight.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @zarffyn @Sophia Thanks for the kind words! If they want to complain once it's out, don't complain because it's there, complain because it's horrible, like the Anomen romance (if it is, that is).
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    I actually think its kind of amusing. Id like to see the gay hit on my char.
    Ugh!
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Bubbleboy said:

Haha the closest thing to "romance" that Dorn would say to a male char would probably be:
    "Prepare your anus, i'm going in dry."

HAH! Well said.
    Dave said:

We haven't forgotten about you, and we're working on plenty of additional content after the initial release of BGEE.

Thank you!!

• KarrieKarrie Member Posts: 8
    Dave said:

We haven't forgotten about you, and we're working on plenty of additional content after the initial release of BGEE.

Thanks a lot!! Can't wait to see it!
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    Dave said:

Jalily said:

@Quartz

Trust me, it's much, much more grating when you're consistently forced into it rather than choosing for yourself. The first dozens of times I played or watched through straight romance plots, it wasn't a big deal either. Ditto with being forced to play as a man. But after awhile, being constantly expected to identify with something I'm not gets tiring, and I start longing for the treatment straight men can take for granted.

This is why I love these forums. You guys actually listen to the fanbase. :)
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    edited September 2012

Where are all these games with overflowing gay content, pray tell? You know Mario and Pokemon are just full of sinful content pushing the gay agenda all the time.

I see you haven't met Birdo and Vivian...

Oh, and by the way: Eagle and Poison say hi! And Bridget and Venom (no, not that one) too! And Ash and Shion! And Lili (probably). And Sander Cohen. And Alfred Ashford. And the protagonists of Fable and Bully. Oh, and have you played The Ballad of Gay Tony?

I'm not even gonna get into Bioware and Bethesda games, because that would require soooooo much time...
    Edvin said:

[...]making characters gays and bi only because artificial increase number romance is terrible.
    Often it ruin character personality.

Like Anders in DA2.
    ( He was cool, funny and charismatic in DA1. Now is absolutly horrible )

So true.

However, in all honesty, randomly making an OBVIOUSLY STRAIGHT character into a BISEXUAL one from one game to another is just one factor of his "Character Decay". The rest are his BADASS to WHINY and SANE to CRAZY transformations.

The fact that a different writer took care of him in the new game probably has a part in it.
    And the fact that he wasn't much of a character, but more like a walking plot device, too.

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited September 2012
    You people bitch too much. Stop being so self righteous and thinking you have the high ground on morality, when in reality all you seem to be are bickering children who think it's your Right to be offended if you choose to be.

It's not a gay peron's job to be proud of sexual identity, why should people have to be proud about something like that? We human beings all live on this planet and we have no place for pride in one's sexuality, because with it comes an innate necessity to feel like somebody is oppressing you. Straight people are bound to the same rules. Straight people should not be pressured into accepting 'gay' as a lifestyle choice, that's an inaccurate depiction on how it supposedly works.

Straight people don't get a parade, so why should gay people? Don't force anybody to be anything and if you're a man who likes men you have no MORE and no LESS reason to be proud than a straight man.

If gay people want gay characters, I could not care less. Just add an option to turn it off so we don't have to have them hit on us every single run.

If you kids choose to make being gay a 'thing' then you make it exactly that, a thing. If you're so worried about being put down upon, stop making a barrier between each other. LIVE IN PEACE. GOD DAMNIT.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @Ward Preach it brotha
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    @Quartz Awwhz yee.