Skip to content

new romances in BGEE.

schalafischalafi Member Posts: 8
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Have any of the new romance characters been revealed yet? I'm very curious because I was really disappointed in the romance for female players in BG. I hope they are more realistic and good looking!

Comments

• Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    All three of the new characters are romanceable. It was mentioned by Trent Oster on Twitter, and should be acknowledged somewhere on one of the main pages. One is apparently bisexual as well (here's hoping it's not Dorn :P).
    Quartz
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    All three of the new characters are romanceable. It was mentioned by Trent Oster on Twitter, and should be acknowledged somewhere on one of the main pages. One is apparently bisexual as well (here's hoping it's not Dorn :P).
    I think if they did that they'd get bashed a lot, because as Dorn is evil it would imply "bisexuals are EVIL!" haha that would be all bad.

I'm betting it's the neutral character (makes sense), whichever one that is.
  • the9shadowsthe9shadows Member Posts: 18
    I wish it was Rasaad, but it makes sense for it to be Neera. There would be 4 romances for each gender this way.
    Quartz
  • Washcloth_RepairmanWashcloth_Repairman Member Posts: 35
    I'm guessing, based on nothing but my own speculation, that Neera is bi, the male monk is gay, and Dorn is straight. That way both genders of any alignment has a romance option.

But I'd still kill for a BG1 Viconia romance.
    WardSpaceInvaderEdvin
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    Edvin said:

Respect man !

BTW: We have 2 new man and only one woman romance and authors think gay romance make us happy ?

Really ?

it would make me happy.
    CommunardMyvalDremor
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    edited August 2012
    Edvin said:

Respect man !

BTW: We have 2 new man and only one woman romance and authors think gay romance make us happy ?

Really ?
    I am all for it. I also would love it to be Dorn and to hit out at the terrible sterotypes that many games fall into when it comes to portraying homosexuals or bi-sexuals.

<--- Heterosexual
    recklessheart
    Edvin said:

Respect man !

Really ?

Damn, give us one more woman !
    He said it was just speculation man. Don't flip. :O
  • LiaTabrisLiaTabris Member Posts: 6
    trinit said:

Edvin said:

Respect man !

Really ?

it would make me happy.
    And me. We should get some more variety, I think. I'd like to at least have something in all four (player sex)/(LI sex) combinations by BG2EE.
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    I'd want to know the player character requirements on the new romances.

I so hate realizing in the middle of the adventure that due to the race I picked, or one of the stat scores, a romance is prevented. Sure, it's a small part of the game story, but having to metagame the romance requirements (and especially failing at it) really annoys me. It makes me feel like I was cheated out of game content I wanted to see due to restrictions I couldn't anticipate and can't affect after I have rolled my PC.

It's understandable to have restrictions. I'd personally prefer that all romances were available to all characters and were only restricted by choices during the game, but I understand restricting based on gender and to some extent alignment. I dislike race restrictions and restricting based on ability scores, however.
    DragonserpentQuartzkamuizinTanthalas
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Moira said:

restricting based on ability scores, however.

Has this actually been the case in either BG? I thought there was only race restrictions that mainly applied to the smaller races.
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    I thought it was charisma that needed to be 12 or 15 for a Viconia romance in BG2. A bunch of the fan-made romances have restrictions like that too.
    @Silverstar

If I remember correctly, ability score romance requirements appear only in mods. One thing I wish the modders hadn't thought of, but at least most of them have had the good sense of writing it down in the Readme :)

In vanilla BG2 only human, half-elven, elven and halfling females could romance (Anomen) :-P Male gnomes could court Aerie and I believe Viconia was supposed to accept half-orcs (so it's a bug that she doesn't).
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    edited August 2012
    In BG2 you have 3 romances for the male protagonist, while the female protagonists are stuck with 1 Romance option (and a lousy one, at that).
    I'm pretty sure Dorn is straight. Not so much because they'd be afraid to make an "evil bisexual" (Morinth from ME2 was one), but more because he'd be the "natural" romance option for evil ladies, mirroring Viconia as the "natural" pick for evil men.
    So, between Rasaad and Neera... I'm pretty confident Neera is going to be the bisexual one, because this way both genders would have 4 options, as mentioned by @the9shadows.
    And thus nobody dated Anomen anymore...

As a side note, I hope in the sequel there will be the scrapped Haer'Dalis romance. Both for male and female protagonists, since he's bi (another hint that the new bisexual character could be Neera).
    There already is an Aerie romance, and a Haer'Dalis/Aerie one. And if you date Aerie, Haer'Dalis gets jealous (with... varying results).
    It would be cool if they intertwined together even further, expanding on Haer'Dalis' jealousy if he's ALSO dating you.
    Oh, and as a last option... the protagonist (a male one, since Aerie's straight), Aerie and Haer'Dalis could decide to form a three-people family unit. How about that? ;)
    I can hear the fangirls squeeing.

Another scrapped romance from BG2 would be the one with Valygar (for a female protagonist). It could be interesting. Especially if you're a mage.
    Post edited by Raistlin82 on
    MoiraThe_New_Romance
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Moira said:

@Silverstar

If I remember correctly, ability score romance requirements appear only in mods. One thing I wish the modders hadn't thought of, but at least most of them have had the good sense of writing it down in the Readme :)

Ah right. I haven't really played with mods, so haven't run into that. Though I've also only really completed the Aerie romance (up till ToB anyway) so I likely wouldn't have noticed anyway.

In BG2 you have 3 romances for the male protagonist, while the female protagonists are stuck with 1 Romance option (and a lousy one, at that).

As a side note, I hope in the sequel there will be the scrapped Haer'Dalis romance.

Huh. And here I was incredibly sure Haer'dalis was a LI for female chars. Seems odd that he's not. If it's cut or incomplete content though, maybe it is something they could be allowed to restore for BG2:EE.
    edited August 2012
    I wish Jaheira romance was possible for a female PC because it has so much content! I love Viconia romance but for a female partner it would need to be written differently. The male PCs can keep Aerie as far as I'm concerned ;)

@Raistlin82 I'd be interested in seeing Haer'Dalis and Anomen Valygar* romances as well. As for the new ones, at the moment I'm mainly hoping that Rasaad won't turn out to be one-dimensionally goody-two-shoes. Nothing like another Paladin-type romance with another non-Paladin... *groans*

*) Edit: corrected, thanks @Raistlin82
    Post edited by Moira on
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    @Silverstar

Correct. The Haer'Dalis romance is incomplete (same for Valygar). He starts flirting and then stops abruptly...

@Moira

The Anomen romance is already there. O.o
    I always thought it was a shame that Mazzy wasn't a romance option, considering how interesting she is T.T Damn elves and half-elves hogging all the romance action!

It would have been funny as hell to see player-initiated lovetalks with female-Edwin too (whether fans would want a full-fledged romance is another story). On that note, player-initiated lovetalks is really something that mods have covered that the original game should have had. It lets the player be more than a passive recipient of NPC interactions.

Oh, and as a last option... the protagonist (a male one, since Aerie's straight), Aerie and Hear'Dalis could decide to form a three-people family unit. How about that? ;)
    I can hear the fangirls squeeing.

Must.... resist... the tempting voice of Michael Bell XD
    Moira
    edited August 2012

The Anomen romance is already there. O.o

Duh, yes, I meant to write Valygar. Stupid Anomen, he fills up my senses... XD

It made so much sense when David Gaider said that Anomen wasn't originally intended as a LI and the romance was added on the already existing character. It made me feel a bit better about it. A bit >;)
    Post edited by Moira on

I always thought it was a shame that Mazzy wasn't a romance option, considering how interesting she is T.T Damn elves and half-elves hogging all the romance action!

Ha, yes! Interestingly enough halfling PCs have access to all romances (as long as the gender is right, obviously) so I'm guessing it's considered one of the more favored PC races along with humans and half/elves. A halfling LI would've worked wonderfully. I could imagine her going for either gender as well.

As a bonus I'm now inspired into creating my first ever halfling character in BG:EE ^_^
    (...naturally, with my luck the new NPCs are only interested in tall people.)
    Dragonserpent
    Moira said:

Ha, yes! Interestingly enough halfling PCs have access to all romances (as long as the gender is right, obviously) so I'm guessing it's considered one of the more favored PC races along with humans and half/elves. A halfling LI would've worked wonderfully. I could imagine her going for either gender as well.

Heh, I always go human PC because I get access to all LI and I dont much care for dual-classing. Oh yea? I personally couldn't see Mazzy (or Jan for that matter) going for both genders. Having said that, she does seem to develop a strong friendship with Aerie, so she's at least comfortable enough being around other women enough to befriend them (cough) Viconia! (cough).

I think Dorn would be especially difficult to romance if you're a halfling. If you're a dwarf, maybe he'd at least be able to admire your physical strength?
    edited August 2012
    The way I see NPC "canon" is that there are 3 categories:
    1) things that are established in the game/narrative ("true" canon)
    2) things that may vary between playthroughs (some may be treated as canon, some isn't)
    3) things that are not established, i.e. the game doesn't really cover them (not canonized, obviously)

Mazzy's sexual orientation would currently fall into the third category since I believe nothing has been stated about it in the game. (Or did she used to have some thing going on with that mate of hers? Clearly need to refresh my BG2 memories. Anyway...)

When I mentioned that as a LI I could imagine Mazzy going for either gender I meant that I consider there to be room to write her as hetero-, homo- or bisexual, since so little has been established. Personally I'd like her romance to fall into category 2) in which case some playthroughs might have her with a female protagonist and some playthroughs with a male protagonist. Or she could be truly bisexual within the story, i.e. established bi-sexual in the category 1). (IMO a character that can be romanced by either male or female protagonist is bisexual only if they're actually written as bisexual - if their bisexuality exists in the narrative within one full playthrough of the game. For example, in Dragon Age: Origins, Zevran mentions in the dialogue that he enjoys both male and female company, so he is bisexual.)

I think Dorn would be especially difficult to romance if you're a halfling. If you're a dwarf, maybe he'd at least be able to admire your physical strength

Due to a halfling being small in size? I don't see why Dorn couldn't appreciate and adore a brilliant, badass and lethal little sex goddess ;)
    Dragonserpent
    Moira said:

Mazzy's sexual orientation would currently fall into the third category since I believe nothing has been stated about it in the game. (Or did she used to have some thing going on with that mate of hers? Clearly need to refresh my BG2 memories. Anyway...)

Id actually argue she more likely to fall into the 2nd category; as she does get flirted with by Edwin and maybe look into what she means when she says she wants to make Valygar her squire? Having said that, she doesn't burst out at some point saying "OMGEVERYONEGUESSWHATILIKECHICKSANDGUYS" so I wouldn't especially consider it character-breaking if BG2EE expanded upon her to make her romancible by male and female PC.
    Moira said:

Due to a halfling being small in size? I don't see why Dorn couldn't appreciate and adore a brilliant, badass and lethal little sex goddess ;)

I get the feeling he finds it hard to respect something thats smaller than whatever weapon he happens to be using at the time. Then again, its not like ive played the game yet :P
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Haer'dalis/Aerie/CHARNAME romance= The more the merrier?
  • schalafischalafi Member Posts: 8
    Where are the screenshots of the proposed LI's for the EE? I'm new here and haven't gotten used to finding my way around yet.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I've said it elsewhere in the forums, but I'll say it again. I hope that the bisexual romance option is one of the male NPCs. This is not in any way based on sexual orientation. I just think to introduce 2 males and 1 female, but to shy away from making one of the males bisexual would be more controversial than to actually permit it. Furthermore, the RPG genre really does not need any more outlets for sex-starved, lesbian-loving men.
    QuartzDragonserpent
    It IS one of the male ones. In the AMA I made the joke that "the bisexual is the 'wild mage' ;D" and one of the devs told me I guessed wrong.
    trinitCommunardDragonserpent
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    I saw that in the AMAA they said that the female wasn't bisexual, so no "HOT LESBIAN SEX". I bet its the monk.
    Quartzsepotter

I saw that in the AMAA they said that the female wasn't bisexual, so no "HOT LESBIAN SEX". I bet its the monk.

I agree. With Neera it would've been like "HOT LESBIAN SEX" and with Dorn it would be "BISEXUALITY IS EVIL" so the safest bet is Rasaad.