Skip to content

New 2.0 Record Menu HYPE!

00zim0000zim00 Member Posts: 267
edited March 2016 in The Road to v2.0
Dee asked me recently if they could use my UI design as inspiration for a redesign they were working on after getting feedback from the community. This is right now how the UI looks in the new patch update! As dee told me "We have ideas for how to improve it in general, but making it function better for this release is important."

I think Dee will be posting more information about it when the full 2.0 patch notes are released that they are now working on but I just wanted to spread the good news! Great work Dee on the UI and thanks Beamdog for listening to us all!

fk227zaiacup.jpg

[Original Thread that was made if anyone was interested]
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/48436/comparing-the-old-and-new-character-record-ui-is-it-final
AutocratSirBatinceJuliusBorisovlordkimbleusteelPeccaQbertSikorskyAstroBryGuyDarigaaz87TalarashaSo_LoWKilivitzDanathionJarrakulFlashburncdxmf2112BillyYankDoubledimasagris[Deleted User]AbeldluxronaldoMythrantarBanArdNoonillathidspacejawsSeorrStoibscmk24XKalelminster[Deleted User]kaguanaGreenWarlockGrammarsaladlolienSeigardib

Comments

• Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    Seen it in new Beta. Much improved
    JuliusBorisovAbelkaguana
  • HeavylineHeavyline Member Posts: 108
    This looks so much better than before! Great work!
    JuliusBorisovIthualAbelkaguana
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Good job, 00zim00!

@Dee: When the UI is going to be developed further, what will be used as the basis of that development? 00zim00's suggestion, or the Record screen that we've seen during the last few weeks.

Personally, I liked the UI that we saw during the past few weeks (or perhaps more accurately, I liked what it could become), but I'm keenly aware that I'm in the minority about that, so I'm curious what the plans are.
    Abel
  • 00zim0000zim00 Member Posts: 267
    @Thels
    Dee wrote: »
    I'm racing on release notes right now, but I'll throw up a more formal post about the latest build as soon as I find a few minutes.

Sure it will be answered soon :)

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49638/is-v2-0-62-0-the-final-release-or-another-beta#latest
    JuliusBorisovAutocratAbel
  • TalarashaTalarasha Member Posts: 62
    I'm glad that this path was chosen. There are indeed plenty of room for improvements, but it is a good sign of more community-oriented approach.
    JuliusBorisovAbel
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited March 2016
    Well then, congrats to you @00zim00 for your active hand and congrats to Mr. Pennyway and the Beamdog team for listening. This transitional UI looks a lot better than the previous one and my excitement for the 2.0 patch and SoD (which is already through the roof) is somehow even higher.

With that said, the latest update to the beta is not showing on my Beamdog client. Is it being sent in waves or something? EDIT: nevermind, I've got the update now.
    Post edited by Kilivitz on
    JuliusBorisovAbelkaguana
  • IthualIthual Member Posts: 136
    I love this look and an eagerly anticipating the final product tomorrow. Thanks so much Beamdog for listening. I'm only hoping now that those black borders are reduced to what we see in Icewind Dale and then all will be fine in the world.
    JuliusBorisovAbel
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    @00zim00 So, are you gettin' paid for this, dude? They should at least send you some swag.

I liked the first beta character sheet, but I didn't like its aesthetic. The stone and metal theme is much more appropriate to Baldur's gate.
    AbelIthual
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    @00zim00 Well deserved, thanks for taking the time to make those designs and making the case for them well. I hope you can please continue making some more new options and styles for new character sheets?
    JuliusBorisovAbelkaguana
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    @00zim00
    NICE! That looks waaayyy better than the previous version. And I agree with @BillyYank, you should get something out of this.
    JuliusBorisovAbelkaguana
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    Just preordered the expansion because of this topic :):)
    JuliusBorisovIthual
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    It doesn't look like this new menu design is in BG2:EE 2.0 yet... Is that planned for later or something?
    JuliusBorisovAbel
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Haha, nice move from our favored company! And @00zim00 must be proud! I didn't see your original thread so I had no idea you were behind it!
    Now, send your application to Beamdog!
    JuliusBorisovkaguana
  • shaldonshaldon Member Posts: 37
    This is much better!

(bug in Strength display of 18 for non-fighters reading 18/0, I'm sure you know that already)
  • MythrantarMythrantar Member Posts: 7
    Much, much better. Thanks for listening!
    JuliusBorisov
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    :) let's hope the rush job to change it is stable, but i'm so confident i pre-ordered SoD now ...

Still liked the 2.0betaphase UI for some of the general design concepts, just didn't like the change of visual style. And there is still inconsistency and some things contradicting common 2016 UI rules in 00zim00 screenshots shown above, but this is Baldurs Gate, a super modern would not fit either, and it's a big improvement for sure and a good compromise.

(i'm sure beamdog planned this all the way, shining as the good guys listening to their community now ...)
  • NatregNatreg Member Posts: 100
    Ithual wrote: »
    I love this look and an eagerly anticipating the final product tomorrow. Thanks so much Beamdog for listening. I'm only hoping now that those black borders are reduced to what we see in Icewind Dale and then all will be fine in the world.

That and somehow bring the tab scrolls back and I'll be happy.

• spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    excellent suprise! Really nice to see you guys put in the effort to implement 00zim00's great redesign. I expected work to happen on creating something similar but so quickly...thats pretty dam good.

Thanks @00zim00 for the awesome record screen! You did a great job!
    JuliusBorisov
  • StoibsStoibs Member Posts: 66
    Oh my god I just woke up and rushed to the steam store (It's the 31st already in Australia, I kind of forgot that I'll need to wait for tomorrow for this expansion.. :P) and saw the update.
    Jumped in game and saw the new record screen just now.

So awesome. Pretty much put an end to my complaints pertaining to the record screen.
    My one nitpick is that it would be great if there was a space between the last saving throw score (spell) and the start of the weapon proficiencies in the 'text blob', but apart from that I'm onboard.
    (Now if only we could get the original spellbooks back..)

So much more looking forward to SoD now. :D
    JuliusBorisovkaguana
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    BTW, if you've been fiddling around with the UI edit mode, you'll need to get rid of the UI.menu file in your override before you see the changes.
    cmk24
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Stoibs wrote: »
    Oh my god I just woke up and rushed to the steam store (It's the 31st already in Australia, I kind of forgot that I'll need to wait for tomorrow for this expansion.. :P) and saw the update.
    Jumped in game and saw the new record screen just now.

So awesome. Pretty much put an end to my complaints pertaining to the record screen.
    My one nitpick is that it would be great if there was a space between the last saving throw score (spell) and the start of the weapon proficiencies in the 'text blob', but apart from that I'm onboard.
    (Now if only we could get the original spellbooks back..)

So much more looking forward to SoD now. :D

It shouldn't be terribly difficult to modify that in ui.menu.