Skip to content

Viconia DeVirs SoD portrait

SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
edited April 2016 in The Road to v2.0
What do you think of SoD Viconia? In my opinion the portrait is better then BGI version but much worse then BGII Viconia. I would rather see Viconia from BGII with different colors and red eyes like this:

Levander eyes should be exclusive for Drizzt Do'Urden.
  1. Viconia DeVirs SoD portrait86 votes
    1. Viconia BG I portrait
        6.98%
    2. Viconia BG II portrait
      24.42%
    3. Viconia SoD portrait
      68.60%
JuliusBorisovVasculio

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited April 2016

Personally, I'm rather fond of SoD's take on Viconia. Her facial structure ceased to be that of a human's and finally became that of an elf's. And it took only 18 years for that to happen.
    Sikorsky said:

Levander eyes should be exclusive for Drizzt Do'Urden.

Um, no. While the most common Drow eye colour is red, they may just as well be lilac, silver, pink, blue and even yellow or green. Drizzt never had a monopol on eye colours.

It's also worth noting that each of us can simply replace her with a different portrait. The file names of SoD's Viconia portrait are bdviconl, bdviconm and bdvicons.

Edit:
    Zooming into Viconia's new portrait revealed that she has actually red eyes, not lavender/lilac.

Shar is watching you...
    mashedtatersjunk11JuliusBorisovJediMindTrix
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I prefer her SoD portrait to her normal BGII one, which is terrible due to the smurf colour. The one I have been using in BGII is actually quite similar to the one you have up there Sikorsky, though without the tiara and a browner complexion. I think I'll be using the SoD one in BGII from now on for consistency actually.
    mashedtatersJuliusBorisovjackjack
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    :) still like the BG1 one best, but can live with all of them easily.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Err... Am I missing something? Her eyes do look red to me...
    KamigoroshimashedtatersJuliusBorisovjackjack
  • NightRevanNightRevan Member Posts: 81
    I really like the new look, though I enjoy the BG II classic look as well (never liked the vanilla BG 1 portrait which didn't even seem to look like a drow to me) but I like this more and wonder how ypu can get her's and Imoen's as options in BG II.
    mashedtaters
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    The new Viconia portrait is very good, but it is kinda blurry. I think a HD version would fit even better.
    Silverstar
  • NightRevanNightRevan Member Posts: 81

I really like the new look, though I enjoy the BG II classic look as well (never liked the vanilla BG 1 portrait which didn't even seem to look like a drow to me) but I like this more and wonder how ypu can get her's and Imoen's as options in BG II.

Put the Viconia and Imoen portraits you prefer in your (documents folder)\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\Override folder and rename them NVICONL, NVICONM, NVICONS to replace the BGII Viconia portrait or VICONIAL, VICONIAM, VICONIAS for the BG Viconia portrait.

For Imoen the procedure is the same, but the names NIMOENL, NIMOENM, NIMOENS for BGII Imoen portrait or without the N at start for the BG portrait.

Thank you very much :smile:
    JuliusBorisov
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    I really like the idea of making new portraits of old companions for the new expansion.

But the new Viconia portrait is a low quality fail.
    Still all the politically correct forum trolls will like it anyway :expressionless:
    GodKaiserHell
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    DarkDogg said:

I really like the idea of making new portraits of old companions for the new expansion.

Still all the politically correct forum trolls will like it anyway :expressionless:

You don't have to agree, but leave the name calling out of it.
    PekingduckmanrorikonjackjackGirewan
  • TraycorTraycor Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2016
    This is great! Originally it bothered me how the BG2 portraits looked like different people from BG1. It seems the goal here was to bridge the gap. Viconia's portrait looks like both her BG1 & 2 portraits, which means a straight play through BG1, SOD, & BG2 would make a smooth transition. It won't seem like a different person anymore. That's excellent! Same thing for Imoen.
  • NightDashNightDash Member Posts: 18
    Her new colors fit her better and her expression matches her personality. I'm so glad we finally have an official BGI portrait for Viconia that suits her.
    Silverstarjackjack
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    For anyone who perhaps wants a refresher these are her BG1 and BG2 portraits

BG1

BG2

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited April 2016
    I like this mod of the original BG1 portrait.

It actually shows her in practical armor. The "armor" on the BG2 portrait looks like leather lingerie.
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    SilverstarJairyannajackjack
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

I always like this mod of the original BG1 portrait.

It actually shows her in practical armor. The "armor" on the BG2 portrait looks like leather lingerie.
    I too like, and use, that particular portrait.

.... I have no problem with Viconia in leather lingerie however.
    Ardulcognoscentus
  • TyonTyon Member Posts: 3
    I like the new portrait style quite a bit. It is a bit blurry though.

I can't seem to find who edited this version but I've been using it in BG2 for years.

KamigoroshiAedanjackjack
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    I found this portrait a while back, and I've been using it ever since. Credited to NixxiCal on DeviantArt

For the small portrait, I cropped it even further:

• CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    I love the new SoD portrait. I definitely plan on changing her portrait in the other parts to it. (when I'm feeling less lazy)
    JuliusBorisovjackjack
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    I have to say that I really prefer her SoD portrait. She looks so...sinister
    illathidJuliusBorisovjackjack
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    My Viconia. Not sure where I got it at this point.

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited April 2016
    DarkDogg said:

A fallacy as a poor disguise of subjective opinion.

I for one was not fond of Vicky's BG1 portrait, quite liked BG2 portrait and LOVE BGEE SoD portrait.
    (And I'll use it for all my BG games now)
    illathidjackjack
  • AutequiAutequi Member Posts: 403
    I like the direction of the SoD portrait, although the quality could be better. But finally Viconia looks like a ruthless, calculating drow. I will take that any day over the BG2 portrait, which, despite its adroit Photoshopping and hair-shinery, fails to convey one iota of menace or indeed mental activity.

I didn't mind the BG1 portrait, but they used that poor woman for half the female NPCs in that game.
    jackjack
  • ZoimosZoimos Member Posts: 81
    I don't mind the new one, but a different face for the same picture makes me look at it and think something is wrong with her face. Better than BG1 tho, the colour is completely wrong for a drow!
  • DrackolusDrackolus Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2016
    She looks like an intelligent drow priestess with a gruesome past and a distrust of everything, which is exactly what Viconia actually is. BG1 looked far too brutish and BG2 looked like a pretty girl with argyria. Neither looked particularly clever, despite the fact she's one of the most intelligent npc's in the series.
    edited April 2016
    It always bothered me that Imoen looked so much older at the beginning than she was written. I modified the new portrait to create a younger BG1 image to use prior to SOD. That way she gets older as the game progresses.

JairyannaSanctifer
  • 00zim0000zim00 Member Posts: 267

To avoid spoilers I didn't read all this thread. But has anyone thought that maybe her portrait is an attempt to bridge the major difference between her bg1 and bg2 portrait look?

Since in bg1 its said that " She claims she does no longer worship the spider goddess Lolth, a change that you even know is often fatal. "

There for it can be inferred that her first look is like a curse or disfigurement from Lolth making her less Drow like as punishment. Taking her away from "Drow Perfection".

Then in SoD she is slowly gaining back her former self with the help of gaining favor from the goddess Shar. Her look to me reminds me of a mix between both portraits. As could be further backed up by the fact that her stats are better in bg2 with her Wisdom raising to 18. (not sure if that is explained in SoD but dont want spoilers)

If this is the case or not I like her new portrait more when i think of what all the reasons could be behind the scenes. Makes her character all the more interesting :)

@Amber_Scott > If this isnt the case please make it so in lore! <3
    edited April 2016
    00zim00 said:

But has anyone thought that maybe her portrait is an attempt to bridge the major difference between her bg1 and bg2 portrait look?

Yeah, Imoen's portrait is the same way. It's an obvious bridge between the different looks of the two games.
    00zim00
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited April 2016
    00zim00 said:

To avoid spoilers I didn't read all this thread. But has anyone thought that maybe her portrait is an attempt to bridge the major difference between her bg1 and bg2 portrait look?

Since in bg1 its said that " She claims she does no longer worship the spider goddess Lolth, a change that you even know is often fatal. "

There for it can be inferred that her first look is like a curse or disfigurement from Lolth making her less Drow like as punishment. Taking her away from "Drow Perfection".

Then in SoD she is slowly gaining back her former self with the help of gaining favor from the goddess Shar. Her look to me reminds me of a mix between both portraits. As could be further backed up by the fact that her stats are better in bg2 with her Wisdom raising to 18. (not sure if that is explained in SoD but dont want spoilers)
    Then why does she turn into a smurf in BG2?
    jackjackjobby