Skip to content

The creator of Forgotten Realms chimes in

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Smote That was completely unnecessary.
  • SmoteSmote Member Posts: 7
    Why? Because it is true? Must I hide my feelings? There does not appear to be a governor on what the other side can say. Again fairness only applies to the left side.
  • RoseweaveRoseweave Member Posts: 101
    Maximvs said:

Two years ago, I was just walking in an alley, doing my heterosexual thing, bringing flowers to my girlfriend. Then a guy (?) asked me what I was doing. I said I was bringing flowers to my girlfriend. Right after, something hit me behind the head, and I fell on the ground. I blacked out for a second, only to see I was surrounded by gay guys, some dressed as women. They were kicking me over and over, jabbing their pointy heel boots in my stomach. I curled up in a fetus position to defend myself.

A really brave guy came to my rescue and chased them away with a pitchfork. I ended up in the hospital for 10 days. Point is, violence happens everywhere, to everyone.

So assuming your story isn't meant to be a joke, let's ignore the fact that trans women esp. trans women of colour face immensely high rates of violence and discrimination when compared to the average?

Yeah no, I'm not going to be nice about this. The reason you post things like this is to try and obfuscate what happens to us. Which you would only possibly do if, on some level, you want it to keep happening. Anti-trans violence isn't a joke. And it's not "violence happens everywhere, to everyone". It's more dangerous to be a trans woman of colour in some parts of the US - and definitely places like Brazil - than it is to be in a soldier in some war zones.
  • ValamirCleaverValamirCleaver Member Posts: 184
    Korevac said:

They are the very definiton of abnormal a crocodile that thinks its a chicken is not a normal croc

That may not be the best of analogies, because crocodilians and avians(birds) are both archosaurs, therefore a crocodile and a chicken more closely biologically related to each other than crocodile is to a turtle, lizard or snake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archosaur
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocodilia#Evolution_and_classification
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird#Evolution_and_classification
  • MaximvsMaximvs Member Posts: 94
    You don't understand. Ed Greenwood fears the huge Social Justice Warrior army. His message was written and altered out of fear. His testimony is invalid.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Maximvs
    Setting aside for a moment the fact that Ed Greenwood's stance on transgender characters in the realms isn't a new phenomenon, attempting to derail the thread by constantly stating that he must be lying is profoundly unconstructive.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Maximvs said:

You don't understand. Ed Greenwood fears the huge Social Justice Warrior army. His message was written and altered out of fear. His testimony is invalid.

Hello friend. You make some interesting points here and I thank you. Could you please let me know what information you have acquired that leads you to this conclusion? Thanks again.
    Full circle back to the face value vs conjecture argument.

We all know that companies avoid any negativity to be exposed in any way. The name Ed Greenwood is a brand, and it's in best interest to only say positive things.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited April 2016
    Maximvs said:

Welcome to the denial state.
    "I cannot accept that this is true because I don't like it, therefore they MUST be lying."

People like you would spin conspiracies even when people like Ed would come to their house, and explain it over and over in the simplest and most direct way possible.
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    Maximvs said:

We all know that companies avoid any negativity to be exposed in any way

Considering whats been going on with Beamdog recently...... I'm glad to see the Irony Crisis is still going strong!

• Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Maximvs said:

Full circle back to the face value vs conjecture argument.

We all know that companies avoid any negativity to be exposed in any way. The name Ed Greenwood is a brand, and it's in best interest to only say positive things.

My friend you have made several assumptions here, this is not an undeniable fact.
    BGLover said:

Considering whats been going on with Beamdog recently...... I'm glad to see the Irony Crisis is still going strong!

I'm not blaming Beamdog for it. They're a relatively new company and trying stuff out. Mistakes can happen. It's still a very small part of the game. Beside, they're scrambling to fix it too, by removing Minsc' line and adding lines to our transgender political statement. I suppose the latter is not the best fix possible but it's an improvement.
  • CorelliaCorellia Member Posts: 22
    BGLover said:

Maximvs said:

We all know that companies avoid any negativity to be exposed in any way

I see what you did there... And it made me laugh, so thank you kind sir. Have my like.
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    If you are referring to the 'Irony Crisis', alas I would like to lay claim to such genius but I can't.

(Someone else came up with it, but to my shame I can't remember who!)
  • ojthesimpsonojthesimpson Member Posts: 121
    i had no idea the fantasy genre had so many bigoted fans. Seems like table top gaming at least is full of misfits like me.
    gender bending... or whatever dismissive offensive thing they wanna call it happens in all kinds of lifestyles. Its not just some downtown new york super modern liberal concept.
    Ever had a PE teacher?
    Ever been to a company softball game?
    Gender is a pendulum that swings from man to woman different for every person. Ive got an uncle that it's right smack in the middle of the scale. He's a lot happier than anyone Ive heard complaining about a couple dozen words in a great fantasy RPG
  • RoseweaveRoseweave Member Posts: 101
    edited April 2016
    Maximvs said:

But if we point out that people actually DO fear Gamergate as well as the One Million Moms of the world(which D&D has a long history with, you might remember) you handwave it away. When someone is actually demonstrably coerced into some form of exclusion of censorship you don't address it, but this rather insultingly speculative instance of it is treated as gospel truth. There is a long history of exactly what you're saying going to the OTHER way(the comics code, the D&D controversies of the late 70s/80s) which has often been very direct censorship. SJWs trying to push for more respectful representation is not the same thing. Ed knows it when he sees it.

GG and it's adjacent groups are much more terrifying than "SJWs". They go after the vulnerable and try to ruin lives. I've been on the receiving end of an anti-SJW group. I've been bullied by people like that most of my life for being outspoken. There has been the odd time I've put a foot wrong and some SJW types tore into me. That sucked, and wasn't always the most helpful way of addressing the issue, but it wasn't a comparable experience.
  • sb81848889sb81848889 Member Posts: 51
    What about the " Bitch Queen" That was my least favorite large woman in Baldur's Gate. But she did have great loot.
    Roseweave said:

GG and it's adjacent groups are much more terrifying than "SJWs". They go after the vulnerable and try to ruin lives.

I don't know about that. The SJW are way more numerous than these GG. SJW goes beyond gaming ; they are seen in every aspect of your social life. These GG people did some nasty stuff in the past, but nothing past written threats and exposing personal information on the net. SJW never really exposed personal info, but their vast numbers allow them to ruin lives even more.

Example, there's a guy that did a moronic thing ; he video taped some worker at a fast food restaurant and blamed her for her employer's stance, then posted it on the net. He was totally wrong to do that. Yes, he was. However, the video went viral and there were so many SJW around him that he lost his job, he never managed to find another job in time, he lost his home due to being unable to pay, I mean... his mistake cost him over 100 000 in $. That's the destructive power of social justice warriors. Their massive numbers allows them to think they're always right and thus they never see their mistake. They're potentially far more dangerous, even though you do not see an evil intent in them like we can see in GG folk.
    Archaos said:

I posted what I did in response to online gamer comments that claimed a trans character, or lesbian or gay characters, weren't in keeping with the lore of the Realms, and that there was no canon basis for them. That is BS, because such characters have been in the setting since before D&D or ANY computer games existed (yes, I created the Realms in the mid 1960s, before any roleplaying games had been crafted).

Actions speaks louder than words. He may say what he wants, but he never created any transgender NPC. At least he never created any real transgender NPC, according to the real life definition of it, which is being born this way. All he did was some temporary magic here and there. Saying the truth would equate to a loss of revenues and social standing among his fan, and so, just as George Lucas scrambled an excuse to justify purple lightsabers for Samuel L Jackson, Ed Greenwood scrambles an excuse to justify the existence of transgender people for the Social Justice Warriors.
    edited April 2016
    @Maximvs

So? Is he obliged to create an NPC for every single combination of people out there?
    Did you miss the part where he said that sexuality is not important? Why do you care?

Oh, I know. The insecurities you're not admitting and grasping at straws, creating conspiracies and living in denial.

You don't like trans people. It has become painfully obvious to everyone that this is what it is.
    Because if it wasn't that, you wouldn't argue it for pages after pages and grasping at straws.

Here's how a truly neutral person would react: "Trans NPCs are officially supported, I don't care either one way or another for them. It's their world."

Your theories and conspiracies are irrelevant when both Ed Greenwood and WotC support trans characters.
    edited April 2016
    @Dee

I still remember when BGEE announced bi/lesbian NPCs and everyone was using the same arguments:

"Bi/gay/lesbian characters don't fit with the lore bla bla bla SJWs bla bla bla not BG bla bla bla"

It's this thing all over again. This is the harsh truth everyone knows but don't admit:
    "I am uncomfortable and insecure about such characters because if I accept them, what does it mean about me or my beliefs?
    Therefore, I am consciously or not try to find reasons, where there are none, so I can justify it and call it something else."

Same thing seen with various religious people (but I won't elaborate more on that) that try to find reasons why homosexuality is wrong etc, instead of calling it what it is. Insecurity.

State of denial. Basic psychology. We deny that which makes us uncomfortable.
    edited April 2016
    Archaos said:

So? Is he obliged to create an NPC for every single combination of people out there?

Well, he created characters of every type except transgender. Unless you wanna go in combos like lesbian-black or whatever.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited April 2016
    Isn't there a Dragon Age the sexquisition tabletop game for you to play instead of Dungeon and Dragons?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.