Skip to content

Ioun Stone Nerf :(

Now that Ioun stones no longer provide crit protection how are non-armour wearing classes supposed to protect themselves? This seems like an unfair nerf to classes that are already fragile. My kensai/mage is especially unhappy about this and demands blood! And yes I know this is the same mechanic used in IWD, but IWD is rubbish and I'd rather the Baldur's Gate:EE series didn't emulate it. *sulks*

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Your Kensai/Mage can still use Stoneskin and Mirror Image and Protection from Magical Weapons, so if he or she dies, it's probably not going to be because of a lack of immunity to critical hits. Kensai/Mages aren't particularly fragile... but thieves and single-classed Kensais will be distinctly weaker because of the change.

Personally, I don't think anybody should be immune to critical hits, helm or no. It makes Single Weapon Style and Critical Strike lose a lot of their value.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264

Personally, I don't think anybody should be immune to critical hits, helm or no. It makes Single Weapon Style and Critical Strike lose a lot of their value.

Yeah, but a lot of enemies have special helmets without animations just for the purpose of protecting them from critical hits.

Anyway, I will probably try to restore the restore the critical protection of the ioun stones with a mod eventually.
  • SeveronSeveron Member Posts: 214
    Surely your tank should be the one soaking up the damage, not your squishies?
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,025
    I am an avid thief player, it is basically all I play these days, but I second @Lord_Tansheron on this. Why a swirling stone around your noggin should give the same protection as a helmet is beyond me. I see that as an oversight, now corrected.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Sounds like the two main concerns are:
    i) Ambushes, where you squishies start in combat range, and may be chunked by a critical before they can make safety
    ii) monks, who are pointless if not engaging in melee, have fewer hit points than fighters, and now lack the means to protect from criticals?
    iii) swashbucklers, in a similar position to monks, but with even fewer hitpoints, balanced a little by thief skills

I'm usually an advocate of staying true to PnP, but I don't remember helmets giving critical protection in PnP either ;) BG series is far more combat heavy than PnP, and this change fundamentally alters the balance of the game for a broad range of characters throughout a large chunk of the game from BG2 onwards - much less of an issue for BG1 that lacks non-helmet head gear.

It feels like a well-intentioned meddling that will actually make the game a little less fun for a large subset (but perhaps not a majority) of the players, but hopefully playing through a few times will convince me otherwise. It doesn't help that it yet again points to the frustration with the cleric/thief UI not allowing thieving, as thieves-with-helmets become even more appealing!
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I agree that Monks are a bit of a concern. They should probably just get crit-immunity as an inherent ability at a certain level (~12 or something?).

Thieves are fine, since they will get UAI. Early Swashbucklers get an added challenge, but they were never meant as replacements for tanks. They are more offensive than regular thieves, at the cost of exposing themselves more - an interesting trade-off, for the time before UAI.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    Awesome change. No pebble should make you immune to extra damage from being clubbed in the head
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I endorse this correction.
  • znancekivellznancekivell Member Posts: 58
    jackjack said:

My vast stable of Bards approves of this change, and will continue to dance and sing around The Sword Coast and Amn whilst sparkly stones orbit their oft-empty noggins.

Oh yes they will. Oh yes... !

Aside: I approve of the changes as well. Crits should be something to fear, not something you just shrug off.