• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

joluv said:

Case and point

My god, this writing is amazing.
    Case in point.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    Dee said:

Can I make a request: If you have to refer to her by name, call her "Amber" or "Ms. Scott" or "Amber Scott".

Scott is the name of our lead programmer. It's very confusing to read, and a rather odd affectation (I don't frequently refer to people by their last name alone when discussing them in the third person).

It just occurred to me that "Amber Scott" is an anagram of "Scam Botter."

• Abdel_AdrianAbdel_Adrian Member Posts: 430
    joluv said:

joluv said:

Case and point

Case in point.
    I had already fixed, but thanks. I know I make mistakes too.
    Spoilsport.
  • KogornKogorn Member Posts: 104
    Good grief, I'm surprised this debate is still going on. There isn't really anything to be said in support of either side that hasn't already been said at the moment. Wish the whole thing would just go away so that we can just get rid of the dark cloud that's been hovering over this forum. Further commentary on the issue is, quite honestly, of no use to anybody.
    Kogorn said:

Good grief, I'm surprised this debate is still going on. There isn't really anything to be said in support of either side that hasn't already been said at the moment. Wish the whole thing would just go away so that we can just get rid of the dark cloud that's been hovering over this forum. Further commentary on the issue is, quite honestly, of no use to anybody.

I'm having fun though! But I'm sure this will all die down....until next expansion at least.
    The discussion might be garbage, but people are interested in SoD and what Beamdog did and for that, I love it. Even if I never wanted to read a Baldur's Gate article on the mary sue...

GG is about ethical journalism.

How dare you insult all gamers by throwing this transparently mocking line in our faces? This line was coined by SJWs for the sole purpose of putting us down! It was bad enough coming from Minsc. Now we also have to face this ridicule from Abdel Adrian, the universally beloved canonical Bhaalspawn?
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    joluv said:

Abdel Adrian, the universally beloved canonical Bhaalspawn?

I don't think I've ever been to a universe where anyone loved the "canon" BG novels and I don't think I ever want to go to that universe
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited April 2016

joluv said:

I don't think I've ever been to a universe where anyone loved the "canon" BG novels and I don't think I ever want to go to that universe
    Wait, what. Novels? People actually read those?

I thought it was just the name of one of the annoying undeletable pre-generated characters.

Also, 108 new replies read! Well many of them anyway. Go me! That's some kind of record, right?
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Abdel Adrian should be the villain in Baldur's Gate 3
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621

Depends on the edition they use. If they use the 5th edition (which I suspect they will) BG3 will have to take place a few hundred years after BG2. The magic system in 5ed is what it is due to a major event where the goddess of magic got killed (again). Which means almost all of the npcs from the old game are dead too - from old age. Except the elven ones.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    edited April 2016

From the parallel timeline of the novels, which Elminster tells the BG3 charname he likes to call "The Cannon Timeline" because he wants to fire the entire parallel universe Abdel Adrian comes from out of a cannon.

Elminster: Perhaps you have heard of the hero of Candlekeep and Imoen, adventurer? Well in this timeline, both the hero and Imoen slept with allies of Jon Irenicus and by all reports enjoyed the trysts, although confusingly it doesn't seem to have been one of the evil timelines. That's the version of the hero of Candlekeep we're dealing with here.

1. Yeah, I want to fire this timeline out of a cannon too.
    2. [setting up a noose over a stool] Please, continue! Tell me more of The Cannon Timeline!
    3. Send me to this glorious place!
    CHARNAME: Send me to this glorious place!
    Elminster: [Elminster shakes his head grimly as he readies a meteor swarm] Clearly you are not the hero I am looking for.

joluv said:

Yeah even I didn't like the novels...
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975

Sorry, but it wasn't just GG that complained about a beloved character using a line connected to them. I saw a good handful of posts on this very forum from people complaining that Minsc had been turned into a "GG Dudebro".

Please feel free to link to them. Also, if it was so easy to assume he was pro-GG due to his one selection joke quote, then why are GGers so angry about it and arguing here that it is unquestionable that the line is a deadly insult to them?

Add in the fact that using that line is completely against Minsc's personality (If Minsc thinks you're evil or doing something wrong, he wouldn't make snide, mocking remarks, instead, he'd be in your face ready to commit some "Butt kicking for Goodness!") I absolutely think Beamdog were in the right for taking another look at it and deciding to remove the line due to the complaints they received.

He isn't referring to anyone. It's a selection joke quote. It is neither snide nor mocking. Does anybody who wants to flip their lid about Minsc's line even care about telling the truth about it?
    The Minsc thing was no doubt made as a harmless joke by the developers. It kind of backfired a bit because it basically rips open a wound. Minsc is arguably the last character that should have said it, though. Not that Gamergate doesn't deserve a lot of bashing, of course.
    Rawgrim said:

Not that Gamergate doesn't deserve a lot of bashing, of course.

Sounds like you're calling for their harassment.

Rawgrim said:

Ohh I get harassed by both sides frequently. Sucks to be in the middle.
    Rawgrim said:

Rawgrim said:

Ohh I get harassed by both sides frequently. Sucks to be in the middle.
    Doesn't make it right to do. This is done by individuals, be bigger than it. Pointing fingers at whole groups and harassing others is wrong and stupid.
    I was doing some good old fashioned generalizing.

Pointing fingers at whole groups [...] is wrong and stupid.

I mean, it depends on the group, right?
  • uglyaardvarkuglyaardvark Member Posts: 22
    All orcs are enormous evil d-bags, safe generalization
  • abentwookieabentwookie Member Posts: 91

How do you determine what qualifies as a complaint and what is harassment? What is the difference between a feminist complaining about a line being sexist and a GGer complaining about a line insulting them?

Sorry, your question earlier wasn't very clear -- there were a lot of hypotheticals I thought somewhat offtopic.

1) You determine those things by looking up the definitions for each word.

2) The difference? To a developer, they are both complaints. That's all that should matter here.

In the instance you gave about "forcing my views", I don't think you would be forcing your views in that instance. That's a complaint.
    Yes, to the developer they are both complaints but when feminists and other groups complain about something in a game they get usually accused of trying to force their views on the developer and "bullying" them into complying. However, when I see GamerGater types complain about something they think they are just offering criticism, even when they are extremely hostile about it. There is a double standard and no one has explained how they justify it. Its like they have a complete lack of self-awareness.

• bluntfeatherbluntfeather Member Posts: 61

How do you determine what qualifies as a complaint and what is harassment? What is the difference between a feminist complaining about a line being sexist and a GGer complaining about a line insulting them?

Sorry, your question earlier wasn't very clear -- there were a lot of hypotheticals I thought somewhat offtopic.

1) You determine those things by looking up the definitions for each word.

2) The difference? To a developer, they are both complaints. That's all that should matter here.

In the instance you gave about "forcing my views", I don't think you would be forcing your views in that instance. That's a complaint.
    Yes, to the developer they are both complaints but when feminists and other groups complain about something in a game they get usually accused of trying to force their views on the developer and "bullying" them into complying. However, when I see GamerGater types complain about something they think they are just offering criticism, even when they are extremely hostile about it. There is a double standard and no one has explained how they justify it. Its like they have a complete lack of self-awareness.

What we've been talking about is the removal of the GG line. I can't off the top of my head think of something like this having happened before == a developer being directly confrontational to them within a game.

I've shown you the KiA post where most GGers there thought it wasn't necessary for BD to remove this line. Still, a few folks in GG either didn't mind or were for the removal, sure.

That you believe there to be a double standard is well.. I see it as more of an isolated incident. You have "PC" politics GG opposes being "forced" into games, and then you have this isolated incident where a line in a game was directed straight at a very large and diverse group of people who are mostly gamers / their demographic.
  • wombatkiddwombatkidd Member Posts: 2
    Way to go, Beamdog! By bowing to bullying and harassment you've proved that if you ever do anything in a game that anybody doesn't like all they have to do is get a group to bully and harass you to make you change it. I'm sure this will never have any impact on the quality of your games. Again, kudos.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Thanks for registering to share those never-before spoken words, @wombatkidd.
  • wombatkiddwombatkidd Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2016
    Skatan said:

Thanks for registering to share those never-before spoken words, @wombatkidd.

Thanks for being a sarcastic ass. I'm a paying customer and registered to voice my opinion. If you don't like it move to a country that doesn't have free speech.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    There's no need to concentrate on other posters in your comments because it can quickly lead to breaking the site rules - http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10852/site-rules-mind-the-gap