Skip to content

Overall score - 71/100. SoD Official Reviews list (spoilers)

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Welcome to the site, @sstacks !
    sstacksJuliusBorisovNonnahswriter
  • abentwookieabentwookie Member Posts: 91
    bengoshi said:

Just like we did with BGEE, BG2EE and IWDEE, it may be a good idea to gather all reviews in one thread. Everyone can post a review they find, with some snippets and the overall score

Positive:

1. pcworld.com 4/5

2. venturebeat.com 87/100

3. ru.ign.com 8.5/10

4. rockpapershotgun.com no score

5. gry-online.pl 8/10

6. threenovices.wordpress.com 87/100

7. games.gamepressure.com 8/10

8. zam.com no score

Mixed:

1. gamestar.de 58/100

2. gameskinny.com 5/10

3. destructoid.com/ 7/10

Negative:

1. quadnine.net 45/100

Also, there're reviews in blogs:

shaneplays.com

matthewhopkinsnews.com

Post your links here, they will be added to the OP

Yep, those are mostly pretty solid reviews and this is one of those times where you'll get a more unbiased opinion if you read reviews from the critics rather than the community. I'm sure a certain group is bombarding the review sites with negative comments even though a lot of them probably haven't even played the game.
    MoradinJuliusBorisovZanso
  • KrotosKrotos Member Posts: 156
    @bengoshi Are we allowed to post our lengthy steam reviews here to be added to the blog/user reviews if they're aiming for objective rating? If so, wouldn't you mind me sharing mine as it's 8k characters?
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    Dee said:

Welcome to the site, @sstacks !

For a split second, I didn't realize that the username is actually "sstacks." I was wondering what such tacks could be used for.

(Dibs on "sshole!")

mf2112
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Krotos said:

Are we allowed to post our lengthy steam reviews here to be added to the blog/user reviews if they're aiming for objective rating? If so, wouldn't you mind me sharing mine as it's 8k characters?

I think this thread should be left for non-user reviews. Meanwhile, if you post your review on your blog, the link to it could be added to the OP.
    Krotos
  • KrotosKrotos Member Posts: 156
    Gamespot's review about playtime is extremely spot on. It took me 40 hours to get from the beginning of BGEE to SoD. (including every single sidequest, Durlag's Tower and TotSC) By the end of SoD my BGEE had 75 hours (so 35 from SoD) total.
    JuliusBorisovSkaroseMoradinkaguana
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    shame its being punished a bit for being old in the PC gamer review, but both gamespts review and PCGamers are positive overall
    illathidKrotosJuliusBorisovgus100
    Actually after reading through the entire PCgamer review, that's his only real complaint, and that for him hed recommend the newer infinity inspired games over this one... Which is fair enough, though id say he was a little harsh on his score in the end.. While 71 is still good, the scoring system in the video game industry as something around 70 is average, while a lot of people consider 50 to 60% poor, even though its technically an "average score"..

Point is, I'm all for scoreless reviews in the gaming industry
    illathidJuliusBorisov
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    He complained about the interface too actually. I think its a bit unfair to mark down a bridge game for BG for using the same system deliberately. On the whole though the latest two reviews are very positive and I care about none of those negatives.
    @Mikey205 Yeah I did see that... While it has been redesigned I sort of lumped that complaint into the fact is old as well.. But beamdog could have done a few things better with the UI for sure
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    Ye im not a fan of the black borders on map edges or the journal (I like it as a book to leaf through).
    mf2112
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    A review from sunny Italy - http://multiplayer.it/recensioni/166766-baldurs-gate-siege-of-dragonspear-ritorno-a-baldurs-gate.html 7/10

Summoning @Aedan or @Davide to translate it into common English
    Aedan
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @bengoshi
    It was about time!!!
    I am going to translate the most important parts.
    JuliusBorisov
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    http://www.gameskinny.com/h1d2b/baldurs-gate-siege-of-dragonspear-offers-nostalgia-and-disappointment-in-even-measure

Wow this review is very accurate although the reviewer us wrong in that you can turn off the sprites and I never saw a gnoll character u can recruit. He agrees with me that Safina is is irritating and that a lot of the chat choices are lame though

I still think I could rewrite ninety percent of the chat options and be more real to DnD and have more wit and of course cool rp thespian anger like a mad man is fighter blackguard Bezerker chaotic baddy should be

Beamdog could have gotten much more favorable reviews and made much more income off of rich fat forty something white guys if they had just sent me a list of the chat options to edit. Instead they lose a ton of the ole fat guy sales because of thier crusade to be modern and assert thier ideals over the HOLLOwEd ETHOS of 1998 Baldurs gate. I still had a realitively fine time playing but sadly I have to agree with the review that the expansion is not as good as the original 3 BGS well four if u count ToftSwrdCst
    Heh, the reviewer from http://www.gameskinny.com didn't like Zaviak (even managed to spell him incorrectly - "Zoviak"), while I actually liked this chap a lot, he'd been my favourite minor NPC from the EE content in BG2EE, and I was glad to talk to him in SoD.
    illathid
  • KogornKogorn Member Posts: 104
    edited April 2016
    bengoshi said:

Heh, the reviewer from http://www.gameskinny.com didn't like Zaviak (even managed to spell him incorrectly - "Zoviak"), while I actually liked this chap a lot, he'd been my favourite minor NPC from the EE content in BG2EE, and I was glad to talk to him in SoD.

I really don't see why people have a problem with Zaviak's accent. It's no stranger than Caldo and Krumm's deep southern accent in the original BG
    illathid
  • DavideDavide Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,698
    Aedan said:

Good:
    You would never expect so much content from an expansion
    The main quest is unexpectedly good
    Some dialogues are well written

Bad:
    Bugs
    They should have improved the UI (er... did you notice that the UI has been vastly renewed?)
    (Another bad point, but it has no sense even in my language :| )

Overall:
    Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear is a good expasion. We do not need it, but we understand its purpose.

I asked the author to improve his review because it is bad written.
    I hope to read more professional Italian reviews, because this one just sucks.

The last bad point that @Aedan is mentioning connects to one of the good points: where in the latter there was "Some well written dialogues...", the former says "...and some that are not".
    JuliusBorisovAedanKrotos
    @Davide
    Thanks for the clarification.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    I know it's not an official review blog/site, but check this guy's impression after he finishes the game:

I personally find it very genuine and agree with almost everything he says.
  • gus100gus100 Member Posts: 10
    the reality is that a 78 in metacritic its a good review dont believe in users nor blog reviews
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I just finished reading the PC Gamer review 71/100
    So I will be getting it after it gets patched
    JuliusBorisov
    @OzzyBotkins
    SOD got its first patch yesterday. It is in a very good shape and playable with no breaking bugs :)
    illathidJuliusBorisov
  • tokarev748tokarev748 Member Posts: 27
    Although there is only 1 negative currently,I suggest removing it because most of the points he criticized are elements form the original games.Makes me doubt he ever or really played the originals before?

Now it's like:

Adding something new:No~~~~this in not my Baldur !!! You are dishonoring the series,I'm pissed,RAAGHRR!!!

Faithful to the originals:blah,generic,medicore,nothing new,too late.
    Krotos
    Another review from Poland - http://ekspert.ceneo.pl/baldurs-gate-siege-of-dragonspear-recenzja/ 80/100

@Cahir , we need you again :wink:
    Aedan
    Another review, this time from http://techraptor.net/ 6/10

The review is harsh about writing in SoD, but this part is unique:

"New companions also have some good moments attached to them. The skirt-chasing Skald Voghiln and the sarcastic Halfling Glint are not too bad, but feel a bit muted compared to the other two additions. The first is the controversial single mother Corwin, another member of the cast accused of pushing a social justice agenda. However, Corwin has depth and layers to her character that make her both flawed yet compelling, she is somewhat cold and prejudiced, but has moments of introspection that give her dynamics I did not expect. The real standout however is the Goblin shaman M’Khiin; her characterization is so pitch perfect the game, through both story and mechanics, reflects her role as a “monster amongst men” stereotype while not softball issues of prejudice. She becomes, in my mind, a character arguably on the same level as the likes of Edwin and Minsc in terms of being memorable." @AndrewFoley

http://techraptor.net/content/baldurs-gate-siege-dragonspear-review-old-old
    MoradinKrotos
    bengoshi said:

and the sarcastic Halfling Glint

Glint a halfling? HERESY!
    @AndrewFoley... They ruined our baby!!!
    JuliusBorisovMoradinKrotosNonnahswriter