Skip to content

Elves with beards. Yay or nay?

2»

Comments

• GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    Considering Drow can have pale hair of any colour, not just pure white, it would've been great if Drizzt's hair and eyes were both lavender. R.A. Salvatore missed a great opportunity there! :D
    lunarAerakarButtercheese
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @GenderNihilismGirdle That part bothered me particularly in the comics, where all drow have literally identical skin and hair colours. Such a missed opportunity! Though I personally prefer more natural colours, i.e. platinum blonde and ashen coloured skin or smoke coloured hair and desaturated, dark violet skin.

One can say about Viconia's colour palette what they want, but the pale blue skin and the blonde highlights in her hair make her at least unique.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028

10Bazza11 said:

attractive Half Orcs

*cough* Dorn *cough*

Dorn IS pretty good looking for a half-orc. But considering how he has a human-only class, he's probably taken after his human half much more than his orcish. The cheat.

10Bazza11 said:

Gnomes with common sense

*cough* Jan *cough cough*
    I counter your Jan with one Grobnar Gnomehands! All gnomes past, present and future couldn't counter Grobnar's lack of any sense, much less common.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
    edited April 2016
    Grobnar is special, even by gnome standarts :I

PS: That sounds wrong somehow ...
    AnduinGenderNihilismGirdleThacoBell
  • 10Bazza1110Bazza11 Member Posts: 169
    Still no sign of the 6 foot Halfling Ogre..........
    ZaferickGenderNihilismGirdleDaggerXIV
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Depends on the setting of course, but I'd say mostly "nay" for FR. Even though @GenderNihilismGirdle has a point, I agree with @lunar.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
    Vitor said:

Also, Elrond is a half-elf.

I thought that was retconned in LotR?
    CrevsDaak
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    Well, last eve as I found myself under the celestially lit canopy of twilight shadows, reciting a particularly cunning verse with my blade, I contemplated upon the matter.

Why do the fair folk not have beards?

Is it the androgynous state of their being that prevents mature elves of any gender from growing a beard?

Perhaps there is some connection with the graceful deity Correllon Larethion who represents male and female genders as appropriate.

As the original communicator of the Eldar to this age of mortals, perhaps Tolkien imagined them as eternal, ageless adolescents, especially when compared to the light of the Valar?

Tolkien relied heavily on Scandinavian mythos for inspiration and there was much in ancient Norse culture which commented on beautiful, handsome and fair men, not covering or hiding their faces behind beards, as such a grown man who was clean shaven could not only be seen as womanly, but was also vain.

Perhaps it is a physical reminder to the mortals, that the fair folk are in fact spirits and not marked by time as the younger races are.

It could be as simple that the fair folk choose not to have beards, but whatever the reasons may be, the fact remains that the true Tel-Quessir do not grow beards!
    JuliusBorisov
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I'm saying nay... Only because Elves with beards will look uncomfortably like tall gnomes...
    GenderNihilismGirdleButtercheeseSkatan
    Anduin said:

I'm saying nay... Only because Elves with beards will look uncomfortably like tall gnomes...

You say that like it's a bad thing!
    ButtercheeseSkatan
    edited April 2016

@GenderNihilismGirdle That part bothered me particularly in the comics, where all drow have literally identical skin and hair colours. Such a missed opportunity! Though I personally prefer more natural colours, i.e. platinum blonde and ashen coloured skin or smoke coloured hair and desaturated, dark violet skin.

One can say about Viconia's colour palette what they want, but the pale blue skin and the blonde highlights in her hair make her at least unique.

I personally think the pale blue skin throws me way too much for a drow, I like 'em dark even if not pitch-black, and weirdly the opposite problem occurs with her hair, which seems too dark for me aside from the blonde highlights? I feel like if she'd has a very pale blonde hair throughout, or a paler shade overall with the blonde highlights or even white highlights, I'd have loved that, and if her skin had been a darker shade of blue I'd have been down with that too. The hair pale/skin dark combo is the drow essential, it's just not necessary to marry it to hair bone white/skin pitch black. They made her skin pale and her hair too dark aside from the highlights, it totally throws me every time I look at it.

But on topic: LET VICONIA GROW A BEARD!!
    Post edited by GenderNihilismGirdle on
    ButtercheeseJuliusBorisov
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

OKAY!

Must.Resist. KFC joke...
    ButtercheeseGenderNihilismGirdleSkatanDaggerXIV

OKAY!

brb replacing her portrait in every release
    ButtercheeseThacoBell