Skip to content

How much do you hate the Flaming Fist?

2»

Comments

• 10Bazza1110Bazza11 Member Posts: 169
    It depends on the character I am playing and their alignment. Just been doing a multiplayer run through with 3 friends. The party is neutral / evil aligned and the guy playing Bounty Hunter thought it would be good fun to start thriving in the friendly arm inn and then killing people when he got caught. As you can imagine we only just got out alive. The FF are mean buggers when you are only 1st level.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    DJKajuru said:

Grum said:

DJKajuru said:

As much as I hate military police in real life .

Why do you hate MPs?

Or do you mean militarized police, as military police is something different.
    Sorry, I meant militarized police.

I have negative feelings towards them because militarized police is usually a "left-over" from more authoritary times (a dictatorship or an agressive government) , and they might treat anyone who is not with the government as an enemy, because they are trained for war. That way, instead of looking at the nearest cop as a protector and savior, we tend to fear him because he might be prone to brutality, violation, racism, prejudice or abuse. Quite familiar with the flaming fist, isn't it?
    My answer in the real world is Like, a lot lot. for reasons like yours. I just heard the words "AH SEERRRVE THE FLAMING FIYUST!" in my head and my mouse clicked of its own accord.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    The grand dukes aren't the most ethical bunch around. Neither is Duke Eltan for that matter. So I can see why people would hate on the Fist (who are effectively the arm of the grand dukes).
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    elminster said:

The grand dukes aren't the most ethical bunch around. Neither is Duke Eltan for that matter. So I can see why people would hate on the Fist (who are effectively the arm of the grand dukes).

Exactly. They serve the dukes, not necessarily the "Baldur's Gatians" (how do I call someone from BG?).
    DJKajuru said:

elminster said:

Exactly. They serve the dukes, not necessarily the "Baldur's Gatians" (how do I call someone from BG?).
    #BaldurGaters it's about ethics on the Sword Coast
  • ZansoZanso Member Posts: 136
    I am still waiting for Corwin to say "I AM the law!" :smiley:
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

For real though it's Baldurian.

I guess they took a pass on balduranian. :)
    elminster said:

I guess they took a pass on balduranian. :)
    They should've gone with Gateish. "Ah, a young Gateish lad went by here not an hour hence!" or maybe Gatese? Gatench?
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I think Baldur's Gater might be the simplest, honestly. Or Baldur's Gator, if we're feeling silly.
    Baldur's Crocs.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028

GNG's got it right. From the Forgotten Realms Wikia...
    Baldur's Gate, also called simply the Gate,[1] is a metropolis and city-state on the Sword Coast and Western Heartlands border, on the north bank of the river Chionthar about twenty miles (32 km) east from its mouth on the Sea of Swords. It is located to the south of the great city-state of Waterdeep and to the north of the country of Amn, and is located along the well-traveled Coast Way road.[2] A person from Baldur's Gate is known as a Baldurian.[7]
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    Baulderoni (rhymes with macaroni)
    Incidentally, it also sounds good in combination with drakir's suggestion.
    I would call people from BG or anywhere in the coast "barbarians". Saves time.

• JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Baeloth certainly agrees with you. As do those idiot Amnians you can run into in the first Baldur's Gate.

Baeloth certainly agrees with you. As do those idiot Amnians you can run into in the first Baldur's Gate.

By the way,why did they change from amnish to amnians?
    Amnish sounded cooler.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

Baldies?

Yep.
    DJKajuru said:

By the way,why did they change from amnish to amnians?
    Amnish sounded cooler.
    Because the real-world Amish didn't want to be associated with hating bald people.
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    They drop plate mails, why hate them?
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @prairiechicken Because they are heavy and there is no legal way of getting a bag of holding in BG1 (at least non that I would know of).

GNG's got it right. From the Forgotten Realms Wikia...
    Baldur's Gate, also called simply the Gate,[1] is a metropolis and city-state on the Sword Coast and Western Heartlands border, on the north bank of the river Chionthar about twenty miles (32 km) east from its mouth on the Sea of Swords. It is located to the south of the great city-state of Waterdeep and to the north of the country of Amn, and is located along the well-traveled Coast Way road.[2] A person from Baldur's Gate is known as a Baldurian.[7]
    I was raised on the streets of Baldur's Gate by Tiax himself, I know my own demonym! Baldurians rule, make way!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165

Actually, I rather like the Amnian soldiers in Nashkel. :)

I always loved their 'dragon helemts'. Whenever I used to play a dwarf or other shorty, I'd make a beeline straight to Ulcaster so I could snag one off the wight there.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,076
    When I was young, I REALLY hated the Flaming Fist. I kept getting in trouble murdering commoners, and the Flaming Fist kept coming along and kicking my butt (I wasn't very good at Baldur's Gate at the time). I'd run from those guys, only to be waylaid by more of them! It took me quite some time to realize that I shouldn't be murdering the commoners.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    I wish the hilarious platoon of the battle mage, scout and enforcers randomly popped in anywhere you meet enemies in SoD.

HALT BELHIFET YOU WILL GO NO FURTHER. *casts a dozen hold person*
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    They might only be doing their job, but that job is a stupid one. The only people they are protecting are the inn owners, from people sleeping under the stars if they want to do so. Well I don't really like that people pretend to have a monopoly on resting, y'know? I'm not gonna go slaughter them all but if they have a problem with me sleeping where I wish to, they might as well sit on it cause i sure wont oblige them.